Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New 1/4 and 1/8 mile bests today with the F1A

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2007, 09:42 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run Dart heads and run near 30psi with more timing. But I run 116 octane, 8.25 comp. and my IAT's are only 110* at the end of a pass. The Dart heads have a thicker deck. The heads aren't the problem.

I think you have some detonation. The mixed bore/gasket/head situation isn't helping.

What A/F are you running? Ever thought about adding Meth? That would help with your IAT problem.
Old 01-14-2007, 09:57 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LSs1Power
Very nice KP..... You will run 8's for sure..... By the way what Injectors are you running now? Also who did you buy the BS3 from and what options do you recommend getting for it?

Thanks
I am running low impedance 75lb Delphi inhectors right now, I have some 83s but havent put them in yet.

I bought the BS3 used, W2W and speed inc sell them plus some others. Only option I have is the DAI (internal logger) and thats really all I need.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

maybe its time to look at having the block machined for .5in. studs. either way that time is F---ING SICK!!!
Old 01-14-2007, 10:26 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
I run Dart heads and run near 30psi with more timing. But I run 116 octane, 8.25 comp. and my IAT's are only 110* at the end of a pass. The Dart heads have a thicker deck. The heads aren't the problem.

I think you have some detonation. The mixed bore/gasket/head situation isn't helping.

What A/F are you running? Ever thought about adding Meth? That would help with your IAT problem.
Well, honestly I never had any plans for this car to run even near this lol. If I wanted to run in the 8s I would have taken a little different approach to the engine then whats in there now.

I probably wont run meth, just dont want to fool with it. Probably the best thing to do would be pick up a set of 3.90 bore AFRs and drop the compression to 8.5 or so and run some C16 or maximal. 110 IAT would be nice too but I'm not doing an A2W on this car.

The gaskets arent blown and the car runs fine, I could probably make a few more on them, they have nearly 60 passes on them but I can just tell by the smell of the water after a couple passes there is a fair amount of exhaust getting in there. The last set of gaskets made it 70 passes before you could start seeing some carbon between the block and heads.

A/F is 11.8:1 or so. I'm really not 'trying' to make the car go that much quicker to be honest. But the car got pretty close (9.24) with the D1 when it cooled off I figured I'd try a bit more boost and see what happened. I really dont want to spend a ton of time or money making it much quicker, if i can squeak in a 8.99 fine, if not i'll be happy too. I have absolutely zero complaints about the car. I made 176 trouble free passes last year running md 9s and I can live with that again this year - I'll leave the fast cars to you young guys with enthusiasm

Last edited by kp; 01-15-2007 at 09:17 AM.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:43 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can hear that Procharger from a mile away.
Old 01-14-2007, 10:54 PM
10 Second Club

nice times kev....wont be long im sure until youre into the 8's
Old 01-15-2007, 09:16 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
You can hear that Procharger from a mile away.
Yea, you could never hear the blower in the vids unless I was the only car at the track running. Its easily twice as loud as the D1, kind of nice because people get out of the way now when driving through the pits
Old 01-15-2007, 09:31 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Right! Yawn......
Good job Kevin.

Kurt
Originally Posted by kp
I'm very happy with it, little bit a weight off, little cooler air, little higher rpm on the two step. 8.99999 is it, and then I quit, I swear
Old 01-15-2007, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kp
Well, honestly I never had any plans for this car to run even near this lol. If I wanted to run in the 8s I would have taken a little different approach to the engine then whats in there now.

I probably wont run meth, just dont want to fool with it. Probably the best thing to do would be pick up a set of 3.90 bore AFRs and drop the compression to 8.5 or so and run some C16 or maximal. 110 IAT would be nice too but I'm doing an A2W on this car.

The gaskets arent blown and the car runs fine, I could probably make a few more on them, they have nearly 60 passes on them but I can just tell by the smell of the water after a couple passes there is a fair amount of exhaust getting in there. The last set of gaskets made it 70 passes before you could start seeing some carbon between the block and heads.

A/F is 11.8:1 or so. I'm really not 'trying' to make the car go that much quicker to be honest. But the car got pretty close (9.24) with the D1 when it cooled off I figured I'd try a bit more boost and see what happened. I really dont want to spend a ton of time or money making it much quicker, if i can squeak in a 8.99 fine, if not i'll be happy too. I have absolutely zero complaints about the car. I made 176 trouble free passes last year running md 9s and I can live with that again this year - I'll leave the fast cars to you young guys with enthusiasm
I understand building a car to run a certain number at the time. Then it goes a little faster. Before long ur pushing parts to there limit and trying to reach a new goal which is a second quicker than your original one.
I didn't realize you had that many passes on the gaskets. From your first post it sounded like you only had a few. Ur making more power now on a set of worn gaskets. Your going to need a fresh set. I wouldn't change heads if your going to go with a 4" bore motor in the near future.
If it was mine I'd add a cheap Meth kit just for the IAT problem. C16 is expensive and won't help your IAT's. I ran 8.7? @ 160+ with 110 leaded and Meth @ 3700lbs. It really isn't that much trouble for the benifits you'll receive.
Goodluck with whatever you decide to do. I think an 8 is in the bag either way.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:35 AM
Staging Lane

That's awesome ETs. You've got your hot rod hooking! Time for the larger injectors and more boost now. An 8.9999 means that you'd have an 8 sec car

Last edited by mach2004; 01-15-2007 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-15-2007, 09:52 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I understand building a car to run a certain number at the time. Then it goes a little faster. Before long ur pushing parts to there limit and trying to reach a new goal which is a second quicker than your original one.
I didn't realize you had that many passes on the gaskets. From your first post it sounded like you only had a few. Ur making more power now on a set of worn gaskets. Your going to need a fresh set. I wouldn't change heads if your going to go with a 4" bore motor in the near future.
If it was mine I'd add a cheap Meth kit just for the IAT problem. C16 is expensive and won't help your IAT's. I ran 8.7? @ 160+ with 110 leaded and Meth @ 3700lbs. It really isn't that much trouble for the benifits you'll receive.
Goodluck with whatever you decide to do. I think an 8 is in the bag either way.
I may try the meth, but if I can run a 50 degree day instead of a 75 degree day and collect the 8 second slip even if it costs me a set of head gaskets I'll take it.

I wont try to run this kind of boost in the summer with a cheapo A2A, the meth would be good for that but I enjoy hot lapping the car and not worrying about things like adding meth, ice in the intercooler or packing chutes by myself at the track so this whole 8 second thing is just something to do in the cooler weather.

The gaskets have quite a few passes, I'm going to put a fresh set on and take a little more timing out up high and add a little more fuel. Now that i think about it on the 1/4 mile pass I sort of felt a little missfire last 300' or so and it was probably detonating a little. Pulled the plugs and they they all looked OK. I'm running 3922 autolites and may go to a colder race plug too.

Your car has always been very impressive but I'm really pretty conservative with the whole setup and never expected it to go this far. I had a 9 secind GN in the early 90s and had a lot of bad luck with meth but the parts out there are a lot better and i have a lot better control of the fuel these days so I guess I should try it - I'm just being stubborn about it lol.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

one thing about the gaskets
when i had a 3.905" gasket with my 4.0" chambered heads (6.0L) they leaked at only a meizly >550rwhp
when i took them off i could see the burnt marks where they hand in the chamber that caused them the damage to leak.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:28 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by smokinHawk
one thing about the gaskets
when i had a 3.905" gasket with my 4.0" chambered heads (6.0L) they leaked at only a meizly >550rwhp
when i took them off i could see the burnt marks where they hand in the chamber that caused them the damage to leak.
That makes sense. When I first asked him why he was running a 6.0 gasket. I didn't realize he had a 4" bore head. What he has is correct. Only other thing I would do would be to add a stainless o-ring in the heads.

KP, As long as your not relying on the meth for fueling then you shouldn't have the same issues as you probably had before. If you fill the meth tank before you start running. You shouldn't have to add it till the next time you head to the track. A little goes a long way as far as the cooling effect.
I would imagine with IAT's at 160 and 11.8 A/F your EGT's are pretty high. I think a bit colder plug and a bit more fuel would be a good thing. Just to let you know, we run AR3911's.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by kp
I may try the meth, but if I can run a 50 degree day instead of a 75 degree day and collect the 8 second slip even if it costs me a set of head gaskets I'll take it.

I wont try to run this kind of boost in the summer with a cheapo A2A, the meth would be good for that but I enjoy hot lapping the car and not worrying about things like adding meth, ice in the intercooler or packing chutes by myself at the track so this whole 8 second thing is just something to do in the cooler weather.

The gaskets have quite a few passes, I'm going to put a fresh set on and take a little more timing out up high and add a little more fuel. Now that i think about it on the 1/4 mile pass I sort of felt a little missfire last 300' or so and it was probably detonating a little. Pulled the plugs and they they all looked OK. I'm running 3922 autolites and may go to a colder race plug too.

Your car has always been very impressive but I'm really pretty conservative with the whole setup and never expected it to go this far. I had a 9 secind GN in the early 90s and had a lot of bad luck with meth but the parts out there are a lot better and i have a lot better control of the fuel these days so I guess I should try it - I'm just being stubborn about it lol.
I had good luck with the meth on my old 87 GN. I'd highly recommend dealing with Julio at Alky Control for your system. He's easy to talk to and he really knows his stuff.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:51 AM
kp
8 Second Club

That makes sense. When I first asked him why he was running a 6.0 gasket. I didn't realize he had a 4" bore head. What he has is correct. Only other thing I would do would be to add a stainless o-ring in the heads.

KP, As long as your not relying on the meth for fueling then you shouldn't have the same issues as you probably had before. If you fill the meth tank before you start running. You shouldn't have to add it till the next time you head to the track. A little goes a long way as far as the cooling effect.
I would imagine with IAT's at 160 and 11.8 A/F your EGT's are pretty high. I think a bit colder plug and a bit more fuel would be a good thing. Just to let you know, we run AR3911's.
Yea, maybe I'll do the meth thing, its cheaper overall and less of a pain then an A2W. I was using the meth on the GN to add a lot of extra fuel, it was a real mess since there were no standalones or even big intank fuel injection pumps at the time.

I should have maybe added a little more fuel but I really didnt expect to see 2 more psi of boost out of this since its pulley'd down quite a bit. I'm sure the EGTs were up there pretty good I was planning on just making an 1/8 mile pass and looking at the logs but it was so crowded and it felt good so I stayed in it.

I'll richen it up some up top and take a little more timing out over 6700, it wont hurt the ET much and will keep things a little safer for now. First thing to do is yank the heads and put some fresh gaskets on I guess.

What do you target your a/f at when using the meth and what size nozzle(s) were you running when you were going 8.70s? Curious how much you were using along with the 110 per run. You are right I used to use a ton of it with the GN but I was supplementing the fuel with it quite a bit and I had a lot of problems with pumps.

Maybe I'll look into one of julio's meth kits..
Old 01-15-2007, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Awesome KP. That blower sounds rowdy! Get an eight
Old 01-15-2007, 11:05 AM
Coal Mining Director

Kev, you're combo is light years ahead of me, but I can tell ya the meth results on my combo. IAT's before was around 168F running 10.0 at 139. Bought Julios kit and ran the same boost setting, etc and ran 9.9 at 141 with IAT's around 110F. I tuned it super conservative at 11.9 : 1 without the meth and let the meth bring it down to 11.5 :1 . I'm using a single M15 nozzle with it set to activate at 7psi with the ramp at 50%. Makes 7 passes on a 2 quart tank.

Don't know how it would effect that super duper BS3 wideband though.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Addict

there you go! I understand that maybe you really dont want to add more stuff and do the best you can with what you have.... but a meth kit is a good buy and cost effective.

Get a few more ponies and bringing down the temps at the same time. Its worth a look..

congrates brotha!! 8's... then 7's!! You can only go slower from there unless you really want it...
Old 01-15-2007, 11:14 AM
TECH Resident

Still 160 deg IAT isn't all that bad considering the boost level. Besides with C16 there shouldn't be any detonation issues where you're playing. If you could get the IAT down there might be a bit of a power increase, bit I don't see it saving your gaskets. How many SBF's with stock blocks can claim to make 900+ hp? They use locwire's to seal them up before getting to that level, and that's an iron block.

I figure (I'm guessing actually) that your cheapie intercooler is running about 66%+ efficient at the top of high gear, and that ain't bad considering. I assumed a 12deg increase per pound of boost and 73 deg ambient.
Old 01-15-2007, 12:43 PM
9 Second Club

kp how much power do you think you are putting down at the track?

Quick Reply: New 1/4 and 1/8 mile bests today with the F1A