Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New best with the trusty old D1SC today..

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I have tried them, they dont work any better for me then the GM MLS but cost twice as much so I may as well use the GM stuff. I'm happy with my compression where it is.

Part of the reason I asked was to help make my decision. I have contemplating switching back to GM MLS gaskets vs. the Cometic MLS...for the exact reason you stated. It seems there is alot of feed back from different people that the Cometic MLS don't work anybetter then the GM MLS...yet the Cometic MLS are $80 per gasket......a set of GM MLS is only $30....kind of hard to justify spending $160 vs. $30... especially if they don't work any better.

The only thing that I can say is that my coolant system has never pressurized do to boost. One time I wanted to test whethor or not I had a leak so I stuck a pump on my surge tank and pumped it up to 20 psi and the guage never bled down.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Shinobi'sZ
Part of the reason I asked was to help make my decision. I have contemplating switching back to GM MLS gaskets vs. the Cometic MLS...for the exact reason you stated. It seems there is alot of feed back from different people that the Cometic MLS don't work anybetter then the GM MLS...yet the Cometic MLS are $80 per gasket......a set of GM MLS is only $30....kind of hard to justify spending $160 vs. $30... especially if they don't work any better.

The only thing that I can say is that my coolant system has never pressurized do to boost. One time I wanted to test whethor or not I had a leak so I stuck a pump on my surge tank and pumped it up to 20 psi and the guage never bled down.
I could pressurize mine to 30psi and it wouldnt bleed down. Could also drive it to california without a head gasket issue. Lot of people dont even know their car is doing it. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of coolant. It will move a pint to a quart during a 1/4 mile pass to the overflow and most street cars will just move it back to the radiator after a while. So many different combinatios and setups out there its really hard to say who it happens it to but I'm not the only one it happens to thats for sure..
Old 03-11-2007, 10:34 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Kevin why not oring it? I just did mine, I was putting it together today. I hope it holds better! I should be out in a couple weeks, I'll let you know how they hold.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:08 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by LASTLS1
Kevin why not oring it? I just did mine, I was putting it together today. I hope it holds better! I should be out in a couple weeks. I'll let you know how they hold.
I'm pretty indifferent on really doing anything else to the car, going to run it in a Pinks all-out in a few weeks and I'll see what happens. It should hold water just fine with 15psi and a fresh set of heads.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:18 PM

Originally Posted by kp
I could pressurize mine to 30psi and it wouldnt bleed down. Could also drive it to california without a head gasket issue. Lot of people dont even know their car is doing it. It doesnt leak or burn a drop of coolant. It will move a pint to a quart during a 1/4 mile pass to the overflow and most street cars will just move it back to the radiator after a while. So many different combinatios and setups out there its really hard to say who it happens it to but I'm not the only one it happens to thats for sure..

Interesting....maybe you are flexing the aluminum block so much that it is causing some sort of distortion in between the heads and causing a pressurization issue....I remember Rob Raymer having a similar issue of the heads lifting under the hard load of the strip...but nowwhere else.

What do you think of copper coating GM MLS gaskets? I did it on my Cometics and notice some of the other guys using it too...maybe they are only talking about doing it on the Cometics and not GM.
Old 03-11-2007, 11:38 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Interesting....maybe you are flexing the aluminum block so much that it is causing some sort of distortion in between the heads and causing a pressurization issue....I remember Rob Raymer having a similar issue of the heads lifting under the hard load of the strip...but nowwhere else.

What do you think of copper coating GM MLS gaskets? I did it on my Cometics and notice some of the other guys using it too...maybe they are only talking about doing it on the Cometics and not GM.

If the heads are lifting I don't think copper coat is going to help anything.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:10 AM
kp
8 Second Club

I have never sprayed anything on MLS gaskets on these, they seal just fine dry and have some sealer around the water.

Its possible its the block moving - it is a 800.00 production block making nearly 1000fwhp out of 347 inches so its expected. Lot of possibilites but this is nothing that isnt somewhat normal when you push these things. I'm not complaining about it. I just really dont have the interest fixing it right now, rather run the car a little slower and not worry about it..
Old 03-12-2007, 05:02 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by kp
I'm pretty indifferent on really doing anything else to the car, going to run it in a Pinks all-out in a few weeks and I'll see what happens. It should hold water just fine with 15psi and a fresh set of heads.
Now this is going to be something to watch! Bob

Quick Reply: New best with the trusty old D1SC today..