Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New best with the trusty old D1SC today..

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2007, 04:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TwnTrboCE
Not from what we have experienced. They all push water when making big power.

KP, O-ring those heads and you'll notice a big difference. I've had gaskets look that bad on mine, but that was after 50 passes.

Well i guess thats what ill do......
Ill prob pull my heads after out track rental on the 16th of neck month and O-Ring the heads....

Thanks Mike.

Kyle
Old 02-22-2007, 06:33 PM
8 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kp couldn't it just be that the 110 octane your using just isn't cutting it? I know the heads are off but if say for example the same thing happens with the AFR's then wouldn't you think the car is maybe knocking in hi gear and lifting the heads from a lack of octane?
Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

KP,

Have you thought about an iron block buildup? It should resist distortion better than the aluminum block. I bet the heads and the block are distorting...

You could go Iron 370 and AFR 225s pretty cheaply.

Old 02-22-2007, 07:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vortech
Kp couldn't it just be that the 110 octane your using just isn't cutting it? I know the heads are off but if say for example the same thing happens with the AFR's then wouldn't you think the car is maybe knocking in hi gear and lifting the heads from a lack of octane?
I usally run 112.

But I ran C-16 last time at the track with a couple degrees less timing, richer a/f and colder plugs. Way softer then I have ben running all year and it blew out the most water it ever did all year..

Anything is possible but 14 degrees of timing even without an intercooler shouldnt be detonating with C-16. I poured it right out of a brand new sealed VP 5 gallon drum into my empty tank. Since 7 of the 8 cylinders are doing it I doubt its a bad injector or something like that. I just double ckecked my TDC pointer and its perfect.

Its not making THAT much power, if it was running like Mike's I'd maybe accept it but its half a second and over 10mph slower..
Old 02-22-2007, 07:14 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
KP,

Have you thought about an iron block buildup? It should resist distortion better than the aluminum block. I bet the heads and the block are distorting...

You could go Iron 370 and AFR 225s pretty cheaply.

Not doing an iron block just yet, dont want the weight and dont want to lose the mounting hole the blocks dont have. If I do iron I'll wait for the LSx block and be done with it..
Old 02-22-2007, 07:36 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Well i guess thats what ill do......
Ill prob pull my heads after out track rental on the 16th of neck month and O-Ring the heads....

Thanks Mike.

Kyle

If it's sealing, why touch it?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:32 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

What are you shifting at right now Kev?
Old 02-22-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
I usally run 112.

But I ran C-16 last time at the track

Its not making THAT much power, if it was running like Mike's I'd maybe accept it but its half a second and over 10mph slower..

Sorry to edit ya Kev...... almost 20 MPH slower.......
Mikes gone 168 in that beast.....

Originally Posted by onfire
If it's sealing, why touch it?

Two weeks ago i pushed a lil water..... rust covered water by the Rad. Cap..... not alot but some... so ill be buying a new cap to see if thats it..... i kinda messed with it and a screw driver.. maybe its bent and not sealing..
Ill still runa it for a bit even if that isnt the fix.... im not pushing anywhere near what Kev is........
Thats just a thing ill put on the list to do when i change out the head gaskets....

Kyle
Old 02-22-2007, 08:58 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Sorry to edit ya Kev...... almost 20 MPH slower.......
Mikes gone 168 in that beast.....

Two weeks ago i pushed a lil water..... rust covered water by the Rad. Cap..... not alot but some... so ill be buying a new cap to see if thats it..... i kinda messed with it and a screw driver.. maybe its bent and not sealing..
Ill still runa it for a bit even if that isnt the fix.... im not pushing anywhere near what Kev is........
Thats just a thing ill put on the list to do when i change out the head gaskets....

Kyle
Whatever, 10, 18, 25mph I'm still not making the power he is..

Its not the cap, I thought it was that a while back. It pushes water out from around the cap because the small overflow hose just isnt big enough. If I tie a shop rag around the cap it wont be all over, the seal between the top od the radiator just isnt that good.

I'm not even going to bother running hard for a while, I always wanted to try a set of these 225s anyhow. Just going to put the new heads on and run the old 3.7 pulley for the rest of the year. I like making a lot of passes at the track, not two and then go home so I'll give up the 1/2 second and just turn up the 2 step and do wheelies

I shift 1-2 at 7000 and 2-3 at 6800 John.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Whatever, 10, 18, 25mph I'm still not making the power he is..

Its not the cap, I thought it was that a while back. It pushes water out from around the cap because the small overflow hose just isnt big enough. If I tie a shop rag around the cap it wont be all over, the seal between the top od the radiator just isnt that good.

I'm not even going to bother running hard for a while, I always wanted to try a set of these 225s anyhow. Just going to put the new heads on and run the old 3.7 pulley for the rest of the year. I like making a lot of passes at the track, not two and then go home so I'll give up the 1/2 second and just turn up the 2 step and do wheelies

I shift 1-2 at 7000 and 2-3 at 6800 John.

haha ha yeah i know kev..... i was just giving ya crap.....

Do ya hear the hssssssss coming out of it???
I at least want to try the cap..... if it isnt ill have a spare LOL
Gotta try the lil stuff 1st......
Like i said above... ill run her till she gives them up and then O-Ring them...

Kyle
Old 02-22-2007, 09:31 PM
kp
8 Second Club

haha ha yeah i know kev..... i was just giving ya crap.....

Do ya hear the hssssssss coming out of it???
I at least want to try the cap..... if it isnt ill have a spare LOL
Gotta try the lil stuff 1st......
Like i said above... ill run her till she gives them up and then O-Ring them...

Kyle
It shouldnt be hissing.. Make sure you didnt damamge the radiator where the rubber seals inside the neck.

I have a couple spare caps now lol.

Its possible yours wont push any water at all, just because mine does it doesnt mean everyone's will.
Old 02-22-2007, 09:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 269 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Vortech
So who's go the bling now? That's awesome bro-i think getting a larger cam will help-a little bit of overlap could actually help-at least that's what I'm betting on for my combo!
As hard as that car is leaving you could afford to give up some camshaft. I think it would be happier as well with the bigger overlap and later IVC. Hell, you have a F1A..... 225 heads are probably 225 heads when it comes to a supercharged engine. The thicker decks and better exhaust port will be where you'll see the gains, but I think they would be subtle apples to apples. Cam it, give it that added exhaust duration that EPP's cam has and along with that good AFR exhaust port you'll go 8's at 15-17psi.

How long before you have it running again?
Old 02-22-2007, 09:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 269 Likes on 102 Posts

Default Head Gaskets

KP-
Talked with one of the guru gasket guys at Skokie today and he mentioned to me several die-hard LS1 fellas from the hard core boosted crowd have been running the Felpro 1041 (steel bodied composite gasket) with a stainless .041" wire peened into the head in a .030" deep groove far enough out that it is behind the fire ring on the gasket giving it support from pushing out. Nothing in the block, which means you wouldn't need to do anything there.

The 1041 has better coolant sealability with the raised printoseal beads around all the coolant passages.

Alot SBF guys use to run this set-up with the 1011 Felpro or the SVO Motorsports gasket (Felpro 9933) which was a perforated steel body with a stainless fire ring and graphite facing material. With the O-ring in the head supporting the fire ring in the gasket it would hold 20+psi.
Old 02-22-2007, 10:27 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I may try the composite fel pros if this doesnt work out, I'm going to have the darts o-ringed and surfaced in case this doesnt work. I'm not going to put o-rings in a new set of 2500.00 heads just yet, kind of limits the market if they dont work out

I dont expect to see any real gains with the AFRs, I'm happy these days to jsut not see a loss when I change something. Maybe the ports might be a little more even and the exhaust should be better, plus a little bigger intake valve shoudnt hurt either.

I know I could use a little more cam, thats why I got the bigger springs on the AFRs, be nice to get into an XER lobe as well to take advantage of a big port - I'm a .550 lift slower XE lobe now and I have the exhast that will flow it.

It will be back together tuesday or wednesday, be the time to swap cams now since the heads and water pump is off. I'll see if bob has one of those cams in stock and if he does maybe I'll toss it in. Springtime is coming and I only hae a month of good weather left
Old 02-23-2007, 09:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
It shouldnt be hissing.. Make sure you didnt damamge the radiator where the rubber seals inside the neck.

I have a couple spare caps now lol.

Its possible yours wont push any water at all, just because mine does it doesnt mean everyone's will.

Ok thats sounds good... il just order the cap and try that 1st....

I still want to O-Ring the heads because i do plan to push it more then 21 psi this YR.
When it starts warming up here ill go up north.... prob to Milan and have Harlan do some more tweaking....

Kyle
Old 02-23-2007, 02:46 PM
9 Second Club

why would the oring go behind the fire ring? I am asking Al moody about this and talked to proline about it as well...so far i havent gotten anyone who understands why you would put it behind the fire ring. I can get my heads oringed for 100-150
Old 02-23-2007, 03:22 PM
kp
8 Second Club

On the BBC composite gaskets I used to do it the same way, I think he means by fire ring the actual o-ring thats embedded in the sheetmetal near the cylinder and the added o-ring smooshes the sheetemetal just around it not the composite material if you know what I mean
Old 02-23-2007, 03:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by helicoil
KP-
Talked with one of the guru gasket guys at Skokie today and he mentioned to me several die-hard LS1 fellas from the hard core boosted crowd have been running the Felpro 1041 (steel bodied composite gasket) with a stainless .041" wire peened into the head in a .030" deep groove far enough out that it is behind the fire ring on the gasket giving it support from pushing out. Nothing in the block, which means you wouldn't need to do anything there.

The 1041 has better coolant sealability with the raised printoseal beads around all the coolant passages.

Alot SBF guys use to run this set-up with the 1011 Felpro or the SVO Motorsports gasket (Felpro 9933) which was a perforated steel body with a stainless fire ring and graphite facing material. With the O-ring in the head supporting the fire ring in the gasket it would hold 20+psi.
Thats the gaskets that are on the nitrous 372 ci motor in the dyno section.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:31 PM
9 Second Club

ahhh thanks KP.
Old 02-23-2007, 06:47 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by cablebandit
ahhh thanks KP.
At least I think thats what he is saying, I have never seen the fel pros for the LS1 so I'm not sure how they look and how much material is there.

Quick Reply: New best with the trusty old D1SC today..