Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

how cheap have you turboed something????

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bought a used hiflo kit that I'm in the process of installing (delayed due to getting married, having to rebuild the already forged bottomend in the car - bearing issues). That alone was $4K. I already had some good parts on the car from when I bought it that I was able to sell for more 'turbo friendly' pieces. This also helped with funding fuel system pieces, etc.

I looked at it like ok, if I buy a complete kit later with all the bells and whistles, I'm gonna be out $8K+, if I buy a good proven used kit I'm out half that. I lucked out being able to sell a bunch of parts off to help fund other stuff. Then the bottomend issues arose, so there went the budget! Things always happen, I'm still anticipating another $800ish in misc. stuff I'm going to need to get it all done and tuned.

It's damn expensive to go fast. Some ways cheaper than others, kinda wish I'd kept my old setup and gone bottle, but then again, the bottomend would have crapped out in no time and I wouldn't have known it had issues had I not rebuilt.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow i agree, id rather spend the money...take the time to build WHATEVER i can and do everything right, buy the parts needed and take your time, im planning my build like a year or two in advance and plan on spending more than 6/7g...um just got most the fuel system...i dont think it would be a good idea to evin try a 2g build. by time you get it done more money will be gone, **** will break, you will be more broke, i just dont think its a good idea, save your $$$ and n2o
Old 04-22-2008, 01:38 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have NOS. Bought it in 95. It's sitting in the garage cause it cost me $40 to fill a tank that lasts about a minute. That NOT CHEAP. NOS works for the track but not on the street. I've calculated that at just one bottle a week it costed me $2000 per year. And one bottle a week is not nearly enough fun. I can use that much on the round trip to work. I did 3 quarter mile runs on the highway on the way home last night and 12 0-60 runs the day before.
Old 04-22-2008, 01:41 PM
Banned

2003 Silverado

Custom Mid Mount

Master Power Turbo t-60- 350
TIAL wastegate- 200
Intercooler- 150
Intercooler Piping- 105
Tune- 50 (reflash)
42lb Injectors- 200
3 U bends, 3 J bends, 2 Straight Pipes from jegs- 200
Oil Pump off Summit- 170
Stainless Lines- 25
Fittings- 50
Flanges, Welding Wire, Gaskets- 200
1650.00 OUT THE DOOR.. running...
Old 04-22-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
I have NOS. Bought it in 95. It's sitting in the garage cause it cost me $40 to fill a tank that lasts about a minute. That NOT CHEAP. NOS works for the track but not on the street. I've calculated that at just one bottle a week it costed me $2000 per year. And one bottle a week is not nearly enough fun. I can use that much on the round trip to work. I did 3 quarter mile runs on the highway on the way home last night and 12 0-60 runs the day before.
ha, i didnt do to much math yet im a bout to go that road till i start the build, im gunna play with the bottle soon. im going to buy a small shot soon
Old 04-22-2008, 09:15 PM
12 Second Club

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

My $0.02.....might be able to build a turbo kit for $2K, but it will cost you 2x as much to keep the car from blowing up.

As for me, bought a used STS kit w/ injectors, meth kit (never used), gauges, BOV, etc for $3500. Added another 5K in $hit to keep the shortblock alive and reliable. That additional $5K isn't counting my Textralia clutch, Moser 9" rear (M6 car), driveshaft, etc. It does count FMIC, AN lines for the fuel system I fabbed, boost referenced regulator, even bigger injectors, low comp heads, turbo friendly cam, WBO2 to monitor stuff, HP Tuners to tune the $hit, 2-bar sensor, exhaust wrp out the a$$, etc. etc.

There is no way to get all the support crap for an LS1 for under $2K INCLUDING building the turbo kit too. At least not correctly
Old 04-22-2008, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i put a budget for myself of 5 grand, i'm almost there, but i am in the catagory 2 of the post last page, and i am the kind of person taht looks for deals and stays up at strange times at night to get a good deal on parts. i also sold my NA and nitrous stuff to offset some of the costs of buying ****. i think i got about another grand with buying couplers and clamps and vac lines (little ****) i also am the kind of person that is hard headed and will tackle a job not wanting to outsource the work. cuss hey if that shop guy can do it for money i can learn it, do it, and turn around and charge someone that dosnt want to do it for less than the shop and get it done right. my "pro" tuner experience pissed me off to not make me want to trust people with my car anymore.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:00 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you have the fabbing skills Fbody kits can be done super cheap.

Example 1: My friend and one of our sponsor's www.lsxtuning.net old car's. It was a 95 Camaro with a 6.0 liter and 4l60e.

6.0 liter manifolds = free off a juckyard engine used for a customer's car
Crossover piping = free chopped up 2.5 exhaust tubing
Turbo = Free Airresearch turbo from a friend who was junking a tractor trailer
BOV = Tial 50mm $150 bought used
Wastegate = $300
Flanges = $75 from a friend who owns a machine shop
Griffin Radiator = $180 new
Fans = Free from around the shop
No intercooler
42lb / hour injectors = Free, I let him borrow mine
2 Walbro 255s = $200
Fuel lines = $175 metal tubing -> -8an feed and return
Tuning = Free
TH400 Conversion built with a rmvb and stall = $450

Grand TOTAL = $1530

Here's pictures of the setup:
http://lsxextreme.com/showthread.php?p=492#post492

The car layed down 620 rwhp, but didn't get a torque reading:

It also ran a 11.6 at 99mph after having a problem and cutting the run short.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:09 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Example 2: The engine had a lean spike running the small injectors earlier this year and blew the ring lands on 5 and 7.

Transplating all of those parts Jason bought a 95 mustang roller for $600. The car came with a tubular k member, tubular upper, and lower rear control arms. He added C clip eliminators, bought some draglites for $100, an ebay intercooler used for $100, and transplanted everything over. The whole car was done for under $3500-4000, including the forged 370, TH400, fuel system, suspension, turbo setup, wiring, cage, and safety gear.

Here's a link with pictures to that build:
http://lsxextreme.com/showthread.php?t=617

Last edited by Beaflag VonRathburg; 04-22-2008 at 10:39 PM.
Old 04-22-2008, 10:21 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Example 3 = My 93 Camaro. I bought / traded parts for the car for $900. I bought a

Garret GT42 = $600
Wastegate = Have to buy $300
BOV = Have to buy = $100
Manifolds = Header I found at the shop I'll be chopping and rewelding:

for the passenger's side I'll be using a hooker shorty that came with the car.
Piping = Chopped and sandblaster 2.5 exhaust tubing = free
Flanges = $75 bought from local machine shop friend
4 inch exhaust tubing = $100
Couplers and connectors = Have to buy $100
Intercooler = Ebay piece = Have to buy $150

Injectors = My 42lb / hour as Jason is buying new ones
Fuel pumps = Two walbro 255s $200 have to buy
Same fuel system as is in Jason's car = $175 Have to buy

Grand TOTAL = $1800 in parts + $900 car

I know the trans is going to blow up and I already have a 4l80e core lined up for $200 that we'll be building.

My build thread:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-modifications/859437-my-new-1993-z28-project.html
Old 04-22-2008, 10:23 PM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Anyone else want to bitch and say it can't be done?
Old 04-22-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 498 Likes on 348 Posts

Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
I can understand a compressor map just damn fine. I also have plenty of skill, and am a damn fine professional mechanic at UPS. Also the USAF, and have ASE certification and degree from USAF. Ever heard of any of them?

I don't need to prove myself to your smart ***. One thing I haven't seen is a compressor map with "corrected" values. Excuse the hell out of me for not knowing EVERYTHING.

Guys like you really **** me off. You don't know ****. You just have money. There is nothing much in a rear mount turbo kit to fab. Most of it is research and getting parts together . The pipe work will has been quoted to me at $300.

"How can I do this thread" . The question was anyone know of a cheap turbo in the 60 PPM range. ***.

It's a semi free damn country, but I'd much appreciate you staying out of this thread. It seems you have offended me.
I don't really care if I have offended you, as you didn't start this thread. I also find it really funny that you talk about your certifications and then say how much your pipe work ( the easiest part of any kit) has been "quoted to you at". Also, if you really had a clue what you were talking about, you would know that a rearmount turbo isn't even as simple as a front mount. The bottom line is that if you were nearly as skilled or educated as you make believe, you wouldn't need to be in this thread for answers to your questions.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know a guy who turbo'd a ls1 that was built for boost with only $2200. That included all the "turbo" related stuff, but not fuel system, he already had it since he had a larger build done before.
Old 04-22-2008, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
I've been in the aftermarket game for most of my life, and in my experience, there are 3 types of auto enthusiasts.

- The first class of people are the ones who do not have the necessary tools or fabrication skills to create their own setups. Rather than butchering their cars and buying incorrect parts, they will use their own earned money to pay retail for a prefabbed kit to be installed. These people are known as "check cutters." They make up about 15% of enthusiasts.

- The second class of people are the guys that are patient and methodical about their buying habits. These are people that will wake up at 2am on a Tuesday to bid on a wastegate on Ebay. They take a lot of pride in their cars, and thus, will work as much as they can on it; then outsource the rest to a shop. They are not affraid to get dirty, but are hesitant about doing complex jobs - such as PCM tuning, or installing a rear differential. This class is called "average joe's" and they make up about 80% of enthusiasts.

- The third class is a special bunch. Most of them have an engineering background of some sort. These people are VERY cheap, and VERY resourceful. Their point-of-view is, "if a business sells a widget for $100, where do they buy their materials from, and how can I build it for $20?" While the majority of this group focuses on functionality rather than aesthetics, they are usually trend setters. This group is usually hated by the "check cutters" and admired by the "average Joe's." I've dubbed these guys "jobbers." These guys constitute the remaining 5%. Names that come to mind are Barney Nevarro, Gale Banks, and Smokey Yunick. 3 guys that barely had a pot to **** in, but usually blew away the competition.

Of course, nobody fits entirely in one of these categories. Everyone has their strengths and weaknesses. Personally, I'm an "average joe." I can build a great motor, but I wouldn't know where to start on a transmission or body work.
wow! very true & well thought out... and professional. I would also be a category two.
Old 04-23-2008, 12:45 AM
On The Tree

How's this; http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDMS-...spagenameZWD1V
Old 04-23-2008, 12:52 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by TedsB4Csled
oh god...............
Old 04-23-2008, 01:23 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Originally Posted by ninetres
oh god...............
Hahah
Old 04-23-2008, 07:12 AM
On The Tree

...and for the biggest laugh...I mean cheapest turbo...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-TU...spagenameZWDVW

I have never used these, but thought some would find funny, I mean someone might want to try e-bay bargain...hahahahaha!
Old 04-23-2008, 07:20 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

yeee yeeee JDM on a f-bod!! lol

at least the turbo is cute, little baby turbo aaaaaaw
Old 04-23-2008, 08:24 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

...and for the biggest laugh...I mean cheapest turbo...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/T3-TU...spagenameZWDVW
Sad when the most expensive parts in a kit are the AN fittings

Keith

Quick Reply: how cheap have you turboed something????