Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

New bests with the D1SC @ 15psi

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kp
I dont have any exact comparisons so I hesitate to say one is a lot better then the other. When it was running 9.30s with the Darts with the same pulley and DA it wasnt 60 footing as well. Plus the dragstrip clocks always come into question, looking at both logs the rpm was exactly the same 9.2 seconds from when I let go of the transbrake yet there was a 3mph difference and the 1/8 mph was fairly close so who knows. I dont judge much by mph seeing its a high stalled drag car and it was a windy day yesterday but the car is running stronger in the upper rpm range and its safe to say the heads helped up there.

ABeasst:

http://www.rockinghamdragway.com/

all the info there, be nice if a lot of guys from LS1tech showed up. I'm surprised they havent made the 300 cars but being Easter weekend in the south that probably has something to do with it.

Hmmmmm 291 miles.....
Really id only need to be there Sat morning and could be home around 2-3am on sunday.....
I agree with ya about the whole to close to Easter thing....
Tech looks like it will be real loose too....
Now i just need to ask the wife LOL

What day you heading that way Kev?? Friday for test and tune and staying the night???
Doesnt even look like you have to pay to race..... they pay you if they choose you.....

Just show up huh?? or sign up???

Kyle
Old 03-18-2007, 05:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Congrats Kev, doesn't suprise me in the least
Old 03-18-2007, 07:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Just found the sign up....... The wife is on point with us going so it looks like ill be signing up tonight.....
Old 03-18-2007, 07:48 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
Just found the sign up....... The wife is on point with us going so it looks like ill be signing up tonight.....
I'll go Friday just to go through the tech BS and hopefully find a decent spot to pit and beach the car there so I dont have to deal with it on saturday. I dont need to make any passes Friday really.

Only thing is if you do get 'picked' to be one of the final 16 expect to be there until 2am or so.

Its a 1/300 chance of winning 10K, thats not really bad..
Old 03-18-2007, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
I'll go Friday just to go through the tech BS and hopefully find a decent spot to pit and beach the car there so I dont have to deal with it on saturday. I dont need to make any passes Friday really.

Only thing is if you do get 'picked' to be one of the final 16 expect to be there until 2am or so.

hah a ya just replied and i sent ya PM LOL
Old 03-19-2007, 04:58 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

If a little more weight was removed from the car, who knows!!!! Way to go Kevin! Bob
Old 03-19-2007, 06:27 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

nice run!!
Old 03-19-2007, 06:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Congrats on the times !!

But aside from the heads, have you done anything different in the head gasket area ?

New studs, different torque spec ? different gaskets ? Or just re-using the ARP and GM MLS..??

I think I spoke too soon in the last thread. Mine temp guage has started going up and down on the way home from Scotland, but mostly running cool. Seems to be getting air locks in it.....possible sign of leaking HG's
Although I did first run this engine last May, and I havent had to touch it sicne then. So cant complain I guess.
Old 03-19-2007, 07:39 AM
9 Second Club

Kev, be glad you didnt go to SDR yesterday...fastest car was like 9.97....you woulda hurt some feelings!!!!!!!!!!!!! Congrats Dude.....I know you are happy about the time but i am sure you are estatic about there being no water
Old 03-19-2007, 08:12 AM
7 Second Club

i bet a glide drops a .1x of your time in the 1/4....
Old 03-19-2007, 08:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp

Damn it Waited till this morning to sign up and it was off there site.... called and they said they have met the 300 entrys they needed.....

No reason to even make the drive now......
Old 03-19-2007, 09:03 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Great runs Kevin!!!

Kurt
Old 03-19-2007, 10:49 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Congrats on the times !!

But aside from the heads, have you done anything different in the head gasket area ?

New studs, different torque spec ? different gaskets ? Or just re-using the ARP and GM MLS..??

I think I spoke too soon in the last thread. Mine temp guage has started going up and down on the way home from Scotland, but mostly running cool. Seems to be getting air locks in it.....possible sign of leaking HG's
Although I did first run this engine last May, and I havent had to touch it sicne then. So cant complain I guess.
Probably the only way for you to tell is pulling the heads and looking at the gaskets, even when they pushed a quart of water a pass the time before last once I put that water back in the radiator it was fine. I have an auto trans radiator in my car and the cooler takes up 80% of the RH tank so a quart down is a lot.

I could look between the block and heads and you could some black between the head and deck under where the plugs are. If you dont see anything there you are probbaly OK.

Same studs, little less torque (75 instead of 80), 5.7 instead of 6.0 GM MLS gaskets and of course the new heads.

Jerry I would have liked to go to SDR yesterday, heck I'd like to go to evey track every weekend but diesel fuel prices are getting out of hand along with everything else. Its costing 200-300.00 just to go make a couple passes these days so i'm trying to limit myself to once a month instead of twice like I usually do - car should last twice as long anyhow

ty_ty13, it may help some, just doing it for the weight mostly. Plus the 1-2 shift is right at the 60' mark and lots of times the front wheels arent on the ground yet. I could do an a sloenoid shifter I guess but the glide will be easier to hook up at marginal tracks.

NA$TY-TA, thats sucks - thats the way stuff usually works for me lol.

Tnaks Kurt, still going strong - so far the short block and the rear end are the only things that I havent had out of the car in over a year to get redone. To me running low 9s with a small cubic inch engine with the amount of passes I put on and its running FASTER after a year is pretty amazing - must be seating the rings in finally
Old 03-19-2007, 10:57 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by kp
I could look between the block and heads and you could some black between the head and deck under where the plugs are. If you dont see anything there you are probbaly OK.
Oh bugger...... I thought I noticed that before I went away this weekend. But stuck my head in the ground instead

I did a coolant system test just now ( for combustion gases ), and at idle, small rev etc as per instructions, it doesnt really show anything. Fluid colour doesnt change at all.

Ive a few other issues to sort out with the car, then I think I'll pull the engine and stick new gaskets on it anyway
Old 03-19-2007, 11:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by stevieturbo
Oh bugger...... I thought I noticed that before I went away this weekend. But stuck my head in the ground instead

I did a coolant system test just now ( for combustion gases ), and at idle, small rev etc as per instructions, it doesnt really show anything. Fluid colour doesnt change at all.

Ive a few other issues to sort out with the car, then I think I'll pull the engine and stick new gaskets on it anyway
The coolant test wont tell you much unless you do it at WOT under full load. If the coolant starts smeeling like exhaust after a while then it may be doing it. My car didnt do it where I noticed untill around the 100 pass mark and the weather started cooling off.

Plus now I'm pulling 1.5 degrees of timing at 7 seconds into a pass and 3 degrees at 8.5 seconds in so that should be easier on things also. We'll see as the passes add up though.
Old 03-19-2007, 11:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Headed out to Steele Alabama today to check out the new AFR 225 heads, slow the car down a little for the upcoming Pinks all out in a couple weeks and see how the heads gaskets do.

Richened the car up some, put the 3.7 pulley back on the D1, got the BS3 boost timer workiing so I could pull a couple degrees of timing at the big end and had some pretty interesting results.

Good news is four passes and didnt push a drop of water.

Bad news (sorta) is the car picked up a sold tenth in the 1/8 with the way it was with the Dart heads. I use a TAG to predict my ETs depending on the DA and its been within a hundreth or so all last year with the D1/3.7 pulley. It said the car would run a 5.93 in the 1/8 (+300' DA), right off the trailer it ran a 5.90 but let off at 1000' or so since the track was a little rough last time I was there. Still ran a 9.30 @ 137 with a 1.27 60 foot.

So checked the water, pulled it around and stayed in it the full 1/4 - ran a 5.84 and 9.186 @ 147 in the 1/4 (1.270 60').

Checked the water, pulled it around again, spun pretty bad and aborted it and drove right back around and ran a 5.82 1/8 and 9.182 @ 144 (let off a little early and it was pretty hot) with a 1.254 60'. That is an amazing 60' on that little boost.

The car has run faster with the F1A and with the D1SC with the 3.4 but I didnt expect it to run what it did with only 15psi and the 3.7 pulley. Never pushed a drop of water either so I'll just leave it for a while. One of the few times I tried to slow the car down and it went faster lol.

No vids this time
usually when you try to slow them down and they pick up, its trying to tell you something!!!
Old 03-19-2007, 12:23 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
usually when you try to slow them down and they pick up, its trying to tell you something!!!
Sometimes But i have pulled a lot more timing out and ran it richer in the past and it has slowed down quite a bit. Hard to tell when you change something major like a set of heads, these AFRs have a completely different chamber design then the Darts and most likely are better cylinder to cylinder being CNC'd as opposed to as-cast. I am running it in closed loop right now and its using less injector duty cycle then it usually does to keep the a/f so thats a good thing I suppose.

I'm trying my best to not be too optimistic about the head swap but if they dont push any water like this after 50 passes or so any added performance is just icing on the cake. I really didnt expect much of a change but it appears to have picked the car up some.
Old 03-19-2007, 01:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by kp
Sometimes But i have pulled a lot more timing out and ran it richer in the past and it has slowed down quite a bit. Hard to tell when you change something major like a set of heads, these AFRs have a completely different chamber design then the Darts and most likely are better cylinder to cylinder being CNC'd as opposed to as-cast. I am running it in closed loop right now and its using less injector duty cycle then it usually does to keep the a/f so thats a good thing I suppose.

I'm trying my best to not be too optimistic about the head swap but if they dont push any water like this after 50 passes or so any added performance is just icing on the cake. I really didnt expect much of a change but it appears to have picked the car up some.
Cyinder head efficiency comes to mind here for some reason. BTW, im not a big fan of AFR stuff...Just good efficient cylinder heads in general.
Old 03-19-2007, 02:19 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by V6 Bird
Cyinder head efficiency comes to mind here for some reason. BTW, im not a big fan of AFR stuff...Just good efficient cylinder heads in general.
I'm not a big fan of any 2500.00 LS1 cylinder head in general but I was stuck on chamber volume and I wanted a 3.9 bore and didnt want to wait. I wanted to try the TFS heads but I just opted for the thickest deck 225cc 3.9 bore heads that I could get in 2 days and the AFRs have been solid performers. If I was looking for that last .05 there are better options I'm sure but so far these are working out on both fronts.
Old 03-20-2007, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Jerry I would have liked to go to SDR yesterday, heck I'd like to go to evey track every weekend but diesel fuel prices are getting out of hand along with everything else. Its costing 200-300.00 just to go make a couple passes these days so i'm trying to limit myself to once a month instead of twice like I usually do - car should last twice as long anyhow

Man you sound like a smart guy, and I love what you had to say about having a fast/safe race car and not worrying about the extra .1 or .2 at the track. You need to start making your own Bio-Deisel it's not that hard and usually can be made for around $1 a gallon. Will make those long drives to the track ALOT cheaper. Good luck on Pinks, the show is kinda gay, Rich C. needs a kick in the *****, why they don't race from a Tree is still beyond me. Win one for the LS-x guys

Quick Reply: New bests with the D1SC @ 15psi