Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Pro's and Con's to Speed Density Tuning on FI..

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2007 | 04:30 PM
On The Tree

Well riding around cruising you can't tell a difference. But like you said wide open throttle you can tell. It pulls hard and strong up to about 4500 r.p.m. than it sort of feels like it is stuttering. I know my turbo is gonna get rebuilt this week sometime so hopefully I can get it back into mass air.

Jimmy
Old 05-28-2007 | 06:35 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by 00WHITETA
I know with my setup it is in SD right now too. Was tuned in 41 degree weather. I know on the hot summer days, up top in the r.p.m.'s like 4500 and higher you can feel the car not really pulling like it should. And im assuming this is from the temp. difference. I know as soon as I can fix my oil problem(which keeps blowing my mass air) I will be putting it back is mass air. I don't really like SD I was told your car wouldn't run to it's potential if it was tuned it cold weather and you race in hot. Pretty much I was told if it is a drag car tune it in SD in hot weather never will have to worry about retuning it because it is a drag car. But, mine is a weekend warrior and sometimes the track so I need mass air. Also the guy that tuned my car did it in a matter of hours. Only made 5 runs on the dyno ended up with 400 rwhp 465 rwtq on STS Turbo 5 p.s.i. stock motor through a 9".

P.S. Do you think that is why im having the problem with the car not pulling as strong up top as it should in like a 85-90 degree weather is bc it was tuned in 41 degree?

Jimmy
might want to consider a new tuner....i made 480hp with 5psi on my sts kit with cam only stock motor, there is another guy on here with 500hp with 5psi. yes we both have cams and no 9" but that does not seem to account for the 80-100hp less you got
Old 05-28-2007 | 06:41 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by navymitch12
might want to consider a new tuner....i made 480hp with 5psi on my sts kit with stock motor, there is another guy on here with 500hp with 5psi. yes we both have cams and no 9" but that does not seem to account for the 80-100hp less you got

You have a cam..... That is why there is a big difference in hp. I used the best tuner around me that I know of Gomer. He said he was actually impressed with the results we got being in SD. I am actually about to probably buy this cam http://www.lingenfelter.com/Merchant...Category_Code= I was told it would be real good with my setup. What cam do you have? Also there probably is about 20-35 hp lose through the 9". From what I have been told.
Old 05-28-2007 | 08:09 PM
12 Second Club

ok man...400 just seems low for me
Old 05-28-2007 | 09:35 PM
FormerVendor

Since it's been asked, we charge $600 for a 3bar SD tune.
Old 05-29-2007 | 08:31 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by INTMD8
That's a deal considering the amount of time that goes into it...
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:29 AM
7 Second Club

SD is just like the carbureatur* days.... damn have we gotten picky...lol... its a fast muscle car a little stumbling and richness on hot days wont kill you

i do my own SD and i like knowing exactically whats going on... and yes i always have the laptop right there in my passengers lap
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:40 AM

If you have the technology, you might as well use it
Old 05-29-2007 | 12:51 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by navymitch12
might want to consider a new tuner....i made 480hp with 5psi on my sts kit with cam only stock motor, there is another guy on here with 500hp with 5psi. yes we both have cams and no 9" but that does not seem to account for the 80-100hp less you got

Thats what I was going to say. But there's always a reason.
Old 05-29-2007 | 01:33 PM
7 Second Club

Originally Posted by Country Boy
If you have the technology, you might as well use it
true and i agree cause i always tinker with that .05 error... but i just think its funny how evolved we have become and our lack of tolerance
Old 05-29-2007 | 02:48 PM
Launching!

[QUOTE=AMERICAN_HP]Orange County Corvettes in CA charges right around 2 grand for a SD tune.

QUOTE]

Jeff its $850, not sure where you got 2k from? Althought Sean always complains about the time it takes, and says its more like 2k worth of work.

He did an SD tune on my car about 5 months ago no, and its running like a champ with no tweaking or adjustments. Throttle response is amazing, and the car drives like a stocker with 400hp more. I had a couple of tuners do MAF tunes for me, and Doug at LAPD did a very good job with the final go-around (car drove great), but the SD has made it even smoother than before.
Old 05-29-2007 | 04:04 PM
12 Second Club

Since we're on the subject, just how high does the factory MAP sensor read? I'm guessing it's a 1bar (14.5psi) sensor correct? I just purchased a front mount setup for my WS6 and I'll be taking care of the tuning myself, so I'll be watching this forum closley..
Old 05-29-2007 | 11:41 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by VTC_WS6
Since we're on the subject, just how high does the factory MAP sensor read? I'm guessing it's a 1bar (14.5psi) sensor correct? I just purchased a front mount setup for my WS6 and I'll be taking care of the tuning myself, so I'll be watching this forum closley..
Correct, stock MAP sensor tops out at 1 bar, 103kPa, which is ambient pressure at sea level. It cannot read any positive pressure.

Running any sort of boost makes it adviseable to get a GM 2 bar MAP sensor and pop it in, even if you aren't tuning in speed/density. A MAF tune will fall back into S/D if the MAF sensor malfunctions, so if that happens on a boosted car, you'll be glad you put the 2 bar sensor in.

I am tuning my car right now for the APS TT kit. I'll be retaining the MAF sensor due to its ability to provide the engine with a first-order picture of manifold conditions, rather than a derivative that should be pretty close. The enhanced reliability, ease of tune, and long-term ability for the engine to adapt to VE changes (such as from wear and tear, which S/D cannot do) sold me on keeping the MAF. I'm not an experienced tuner, nor do I track my car, I just wanted a good solid performance tune I could trust for a fun daily driver, and the MAF suits my ends well for that. The hard core folks around here have different needs that are more aligned with what S/D tuning provides.

I'm actually curious what the LS1/LS2 MAF bandwidth is, because one day I might end up near the envelope's edge. How much volume can it measure accurately?
Old 05-30-2007 | 07:21 AM

The MAF table caps at 512 g/sec which is usually about 6 psi of boost.
Old 05-30-2007 | 10:20 AM
Shorty Director

Originally Posted by INTMD8
I am going to hold you to that when I get back home..
Old 05-30-2007 | 01:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Country Boy
The MAF table caps at 512 g/sec which is usually about 6 psi of boost.
And this folks is the key. Tuning around the MAF becomes more and more difficult as the volume of air and amount of boost increase.

I have a 2 bar tune at 12#s and love it. It doesn't change from the weather like people say because there's still an IAT in the tube leading to the throttle body. It adjusts per lb of boost over the rpm table exactly how you set it. There's no relying on the MAF to decide on what the fuel/timing should be anymore. Relying on the MAF for this information when it's maxed will only cause more problems and a blown motor in the end.

Forgot to add the con - It takes more time and with that more money for an SD tune. If any tune isn't good whether it be AD or not you'll be taking your motor home in a box...

Last edited by Drewstein; 05-30-2007 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2007 | 09:43 AM
TECH Addict

good post, what are the pros/cons of running either an OLSD or a CLSD. I have recently moved to the bs3 and its not installed yet, thus i haven' looked at it completely. bit lazy, sure, but it was said before, we are way to picky compared to the old-days!!
Old 06-01-2007 | 10:13 AM
10 Second Club

Jim at speed inc is doing my 3 bar SD tune and I can't believe how much better it drives. The car drives better now with the supercharger, 60lb injectors and the SD tune than it did when I was cam only and maf tuned. It's the same cam so it must be the new tune. It starts without giving it gas, idles better and stop and go driving has improved the most. All of these were touchy with the maf tune, I always had to play with the gas pedal to keep it running. It hasn't tried to die on me once with the new SD tune. It's not finished yet because I had to change the pulley for less boost but I am very impressed so far. Tune will be getting finished up thursday and I can't wait to see what it feels like when I can mash the gas.
Old 06-01-2007 | 12:06 PM

Originally Posted by obZidian
good post, what are the pros/cons of running either an OLSD or a CLSD. I have recently moved to the bs3 and its not installed yet, thus i haven' looked at it completely. bit lazy, sure, but it was said before, we are way to picky compared to the old-days!!
http://redhardsupra.blogspot.com/200...-2-olvscl.html
Old 06-02-2007 | 02:02 AM
FormerVendor

Well ****!!!!

I was talking to him on the phone a couple of weeks ago and he quoted me the price.

Damn......
Originally Posted by pakisho

Jeff its $850, not sure where you got 2k from? Althought Sean always complains about the time it takes, and says its more like 2k worth of work.

He did an SD tune on my car about 5 months ago no, and its running like a champ with no tweaking or adjustments. Throttle response is amazing, and the car drives like a stocker with 400hp more. I had a couple of tuners do MAF tunes for me, and Doug at LAPD did a very good job with the final go-around (car drove great), but the SD has made it even smoother than before.