Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Question about Xylene

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2003 | 01:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

Default Question about Xylene

I heard some of you guys are mixing this in with your gas to raise octane. Now I've been looking around for it but have been coming across terrible prices. The best I found was $6 a gallon. No place seems to carry it in more than one gallon quantities. Somebody said that if you buy it in bulk it should be about $3. Where can you buy this stuff in bulk and what is bulk? Five gallons? The cheapest place was Hirshfields which was suprising to me. Thanks for your help.

Justin
Old 05-03-2003 | 01:40 PM
single digit dreamer

Default Re: Question about Xylene

i buy mine at sherwin williams, a chain of small paint stores, i get it for $20 for 5 gallons.. it really does work well to help prevent detonation, i can only run 6psi non intercooled with 92 gas but can run atleast 8psi with a 30%mix of xylene. i only have a 6,8 an 11psi pully and it wont let me run the 11 but i bet if i had a 9psi i could run that with no KR.
Old 05-03-2003 | 01:51 PM
TECH Apprentice

This stuff doesnt harm anything either? Isn't it suppose to be about 118 octane? I'm going to find a sherwin williams around here and give them a call. Did they actually have 5 gallon containers in stock? Let me know when you get another video of that truck of yours. I liked the vid of that thing launching in 4wd. That was sweet! Later man.

Justin
Old 05-03-2003 | 02:37 PM
single digit dreamer

i have a ton of videos, got some new ones last night even, check the web page in my sig.

yes, they had 5 gallon cans in stock, i have ran at least 50 gallons of that stuff thru my tank, prety much been running a 30% mix for the last couple of months, you ask if it hurts anything and i can't say for sure. i have had a couple of problems since i started running it but it might be completely unrelated.

first problem was i had one of the factroy 02 sensors go bad, they have about 60k on them so i dont know if it was just a matter of timing or if the xylene caused it to go bad, i am not sure but i think the other sensor is starting to act up, it just started doing some odd things like the other one did, just a couple of times so far but it has me wondering if this stuff might hurt the o2's. i have been told by alot of people that it won't. i also started runing some nitrous, maybe that stuff can shorten the life of the o2's, i am not sure what is hapening there.

my other problem. got a used nx kit, put it on and used it, about 1/2 bottle later the fuel solenoid got stuck closed, after doing a little more research it looks like some kind of lubricant might be a good idea so now i add 4oz of tranny fluid to each gallon of xylene that i put in there.i have seen marvel mystery oil mentioned for a lubricant several times too. i have no idea if the xylene might could have caused the seals to swell or get dry in the solenoid or not but it kind of has me wondering again. the kit was used so it may have been bad before i got the kit.

i plan on using it untill i see any of these problems get repeated, if i kill a new o2 or stick a new fuel soloniod then i am going to stop using it.
Old 05-05-2003 | 03:38 AM
TECH Apprentice

I picked up 10 gallons of that stuff the other day. I hope it doesnt hurt the O2 sensors cuz I have had nothing but problems with O2s. The first set I ruined cuz I was running leaded gas. I replaced them last fall before I stored my car and just this week I replaced them after maybe 300 miles and they were already pretty bad and I ran no leaded gas. I ran 100 octane unleaded and they still got ruined. If the gas station I buy that gas from doesnt sell much of it and it sits in their tanks a long time could it go bad? If it went bad could this mess with O2 sensors? I dont know what else could be doing it. I wanted to run the Xylene instead just in case that gas was killin my sensors. I wish you could get sensors that could handle running straight leaded fuel without failure. I heard somebody talking about Race O2 sensors but I've never heard anything about those existing. Now my new sensors are in and the passenger side is workin perfectly but the driver side says "bank one O2 not active" on EFIlive. Then it goes away and comes back. Something is screwed up on that bank. Its always been more trouble than the passenger side bank of cylinders. I have an A/F gauge for each side and the driver side is always on the leaner side of stoich and the passenger side is just into the rich area which is where is should be at WOT. I have a fuel line for the NX fuel solenoid coming off of the driver side fuel rail. Maybe the solenoid leaks enough to lower the pressure on that fuel rail??? Thats just a stupid idea that just popped into my head. I no longer use my nitrous so I guess I could disconnect it and see if it makes a difference. With the new O2 sensors I'm getting LTFTs at cruise of 8.2 on the driver side (bank 1) and 0 on the passenger side (bank 2). If I cant figure it out hopefully Speed Inc can. I have a dyno tune and clutch install scheduled there in early June. Sorry for the long post. Thanks for the Xylene info Parish8.

Old 05-05-2003 | 08:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

i have no idea if the xylene might could have caused the seals to swell or get dry in the solenoid or not but it kind of has me wondering again. the kit was used so it may have been bad before i got the kit.
I don't know if the NX fuel solenoid uses rubber seals, but if it does, that's the problem. Xylene, Toluene (both of which work as an octane boost) attacks rubber. We use it extensively here at our paint shop (I work where the Viper's are painted). Needless to say we keep that stuff away from any rubber seals.

As for the O2, I really couldn't say, but it doesn't seem likely the Xy/Tol would affect them. There's not really any constituent in them that would coat the o2s and the exhaust runs cooler, so I don't think that's a problem. Like you said, it may have been a coincidence. With plastic lines and viton seals in our cars these days, I wouldn't have any problem using it in my car. JMO

SC-
Old 05-06-2003 | 10:40 PM
!Dial-up Director

1slowcamaro, please let me know if you find out why bank 1 LTFTs are high and bank 2 is at 0 because my car does the exact same thing after I added my NX MAF wet kit.

Justin
Old 05-07-2003 | 08:18 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sears- I will let you know when I figure it out. Now that you say it happened to you after your N20 install that leads me to believe that maybe it does have something to do with the fuel line for the solenoid coming off that fuel rail. I assume that is where you're getting your fuel from also. I didnt think this to be very likely but now its worth a second thought. In 10 hours when I get off work I'll disconect that and do some quick logging to see if the LTFTs on that side improve. I'm not expecting much but its worth a shot.

Justin
Old 05-07-2003 | 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Sears- I just read something interesting in the fueling and injection forum. The topic is "Is there any benefit to bypassing the fuel rail pulse damper". People are saying this may help to balance fuel pressure between the two rails and equalize your LTFTs. I might have to try it but it sounds like it might take more than a couple minutes.

Justin

Quick Reply: Question about Xylene