Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

The ultimate turbo street setup!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2007, 11:29 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default The ultimate turbo street setup!!!

that's what I'm after!

Now I need everyone's help...

Here's what I got. 2001 T/A that I just bought that was the former cam record holder. The car is completely gutted as far as you can take it short of lexan windows and weighs in around 2,800 lbs. It's pretty much a BMR catalog w/every suspension part on it and has a TH400. Street racing around here and in texas is getting pretty serious w/1/8th mi. racing and there are some seriously big money races out there w/a bunch of 5.8-6.20 cars that dead hook on the street. Pretty much 99% of them are big motor/N20 cars. I hate messing w/n20 and I've been there done that, but I haven't done a turbo setup yet. So I need some help. I've got a 8.8:1 408ci ready to go. Now I just need to figure out what the best thing for the street is...
single or twin setup??? I'm all ears as far as recommendations.

I'd also like to know what fuel/tuning setup I should use,

and lastly what tq. convertor?

I've talked to a couple turbo guys on the boards and generally have been told that a big single will be better because the twins will spool too fast and cause me to blow up the tires too easily. I like to talk to a wide variety of knowledgeable people which helps me learn the most. I'm not out to set a dyno record, and I won't need that much power w/a car that weighs less than 3000lbs. I figured 800rwhp+/- should get me running high 5's. I'd just need to figure out how to run those times on the street(madman!!!). And if possible, I'd like to keep the stock computer and just tune sd to keep things simple for now. I know I've been able to do it on my vette and just used a simple maf tune w/60lb. injectors. I've got 6.0l ported heads from speed inc. and a custom turbo grind cam that I honestly don't know the specs of as of now. Lastly, what are my options as far as purchasing kits, or possibly just purchasing the hot parts and fabbing up the rest myself? Thanks a bunch for your help!!! I'm ready to pull the trigger and start ordering parts, I just need to know which parts!
Old 06-17-2007, 11:40 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be a tuff answere,only due to the fact that the people that have turbo setup's probably think there's is the best way to go.I like my setup due to the inexpense of the truck manifold's but i had to loose the a/c,which I don't really like.As far as twin's spooling up faster than a big single it all depend's on the motor and size turbo's. I have full boost at 3800rpm,but it hit's hard when it hit's.Never had a single,so I can't reply on that.I have a py3400 yank and it work's great in my 4l60e.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:07 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I was looking to do something without the A/C I think the TTI kit is very well spoken for. Or you could do a 6l manifold kit if you can fab up yourself. And the last alternative is to have one of the premier turbo bulding shops build you a custom set up like Speed Inc. Or Stenod etc... Budget is going to be the 6L manifolds but requires you having some fabrication skills or paying someone who does as you know.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:30 AM
TECH Regular

my personal openion is that u put 2 small turbos on for your goals.they will spool fast but when they hit they dont hit like a big turbo.2 50's would be fine and will get u to your goal fairly easily.but in a race car/street car u want most of your power up top anyway.most people run centri's on a street car's.it also depends on how u are going to be racing from a dig or on the interstate from a roll.turbo's are hard to beat on the highway but dont turn out the best times unless they are setup up properly.u could probly just ad some juice to your car and put in a smaller stall with a diaphram and go just as fast.u just want have the cool factor.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

www.kentuckyturboandperformance.com ... new sponsor on here.
Old 06-18-2007, 02:20 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by thedudeZ
www.kentuckyturboandperformance.com ... new sponsor on here.
Hmmmmm. That looks a lot like my kit! Should be bad ***!
Old 06-18-2007, 02:22 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ninetres
Well I don't know about that, send me your kit and I'll be the judge of that
Old 06-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by ninetres
Been building them for a coupe years now. Opened up shop last October, and became a LS1Tech sponsor this month. It is Bad *** .

I have already talked with oufan2929 about his goals and plans. I am sure I can acomodate his goals. It's nice to see him do his homework and get other opinions. That makes for an educated buyer.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:37 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kngkahious
my personal openion is that u put 2 small turbos on for your goals.they will spool fast but when they hit they dont hit like a big turbo.2 50's would be fine and will get u to your goal fairly easily.but in a race car/street car u want most of your power up top anyway.most people run centri's on a street car's.it also depends on how u are going to be racing from a dig or on the interstate from a roll.turbo's are hard to beat on the highway but dont turn out the best times unless they are setup up properly.u could probly just ad some juice to your car and put in a smaller stall with a diaphram and go just as fast.u just want have the cool factor.
not necessarily for the cool factor, I just hate the process of having to fill, heat, and constantly be jacking around w/the n20. Plus, I've always wanted to try out a turbo setup, and there aren't many around here right now, so yes, it'll be pretty sweet!
Old 06-18-2007, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP
Been building them for a coupe years now. Opened up shop last October, and became a LS1Tech sponsor this month. It is Bad *** .

I have already talked with oufan2929 about his goals and plans. I am sure I can acomodate his goals. It's nice to see him do his homework and get other opinions. That makes for an educated buyer.
Yep, Josh and I have spoken and he answered ever question I threw at him very informatively! Obviously I'm new to this turbo game, but I've been around the block as far as power is concerned. Just like Josh said, I'm trying to become as educated as I can that way I know exactly why I buy what I buy. If in the end I absolutely can't get the car to hook like I want, I'll just yank off the turbo and spray away w/a two stage or progressive unit, but hopefully that will never be necessary
Old 06-18-2007, 09:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

You'll spool a single T88 with those cubes pretty quickly and be good for 1K RWHP.

Twins would likely spool faster and probably take less time to spool on the brake if that is a consideration for you...

6L manifolds will keep the cost down and it'll be easy to check the plugs between passes

Jose would have great information regarding turbo type for your application. I'd check with him...

Were you thinking A2W or A2A with meth for intercooling? That car is going to be crazy when finished...
Old 06-18-2007, 09:41 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by CHRISPY
You'll spool a single T88 with those cubes pretty quickly and be good for 1K RWHP.

Twins would likely spool faster and probably take less time to spool on the brake if that is a consideration for you...

6L manifolds will keep the cost down and it'll be easy to check the plugs between passes

Jose would have great information regarding turbo type for your application. I'd check with him...

Were you thinking A2W or A2A with meth for intercooling? That car is going to be crazy when finished...
I'll also have a trans brake to help spool on the line. And I will get a two step if necessary. Good question on the intercooling??? I'm all ears on that as well. 1k rwhp would be sweet, but I almost think that may be too much for the street and I don't want to even come close to pushing gaskets like I have some in my vette at 18lbs. I'm hoping to make in the 800rwhp range on 14-15lbs...I think that'd be killer for the street.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:58 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I would go S88 and call it a day. Big power and won't make near the backpressure a T4 T88 will.
Old 06-18-2007, 10:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
I would go S88 and call it a day. Big power and won't make near the backpressure a T4 T88 will.
w/out spending too much time, could you explain why? inquiring minds would like to understand
Old 06-18-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Senior Member

Given you are only running 1/8th A2W might be a good choice but meth works wonders on A2A and it is simple/reliable to setup...
Old 06-18-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oufan2929
w/out spending too much time, could you explain why? inquiring minds would like to understand
because the s88 is a large frame T6 turbo. there you go sweet and short.
Old 06-18-2007, 11:49 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by oufan2929
Well the S88 will spool the same, make more power and have less backpressure then a PT88. Easy to see why to go with that unit.
Old 06-18-2007, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Josh @ KYTP

Hey Josh, what turbo were you talking to me about the other day, I can't remember?
Old 06-18-2007, 12:08 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
Well the S88 will spool the same, make more power and have less backpressure then a PT88. Easy to see why to go with that unit.
what are some options of where I could buy a complete kit, or just the hot parts maybe? How much should I be ready to spend? I've already got the fuel setup except for injectors, what do you guys think I should do about injectors? Thanks--Andy
Old 06-18-2007, 12:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

keep in mind packaging may play a part in sizing the turbo as well.