Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SStolen
What do you think? Seems perfect to me and those scrubbing pads are dirt cheap. Worth it for MAYBE $10 per month, if even close to that, depending on how often you get on it. Think about it.
I think that it's a good idea for a medium level car, but for a high strung motor you'd want the least amount of air resistance as possible. Pluging the port with scotchbright may actually be a hinderance. The ideal configuration would be -10an (or -12an) lines from the valve covers that meet at a sizable collection tank with as large as filter as is reasonable. Just my humble opinion though.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 06-22-2007, 12:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok so you guys are running -10 lines or -12 from each valvecover to a catchcan with a filter on the top of it?? How does that pull crankcase???

You guys are doing away with the entire PCV system all together? I am hoping to be in the 650-700RWHP range
Old 06-22-2007, 02:19 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Ok so you guys are running -10 lines or -12 from each valvecover to a catchcan with a filter on the top of it?? How does that pull crankcase???

You guys are doing away with the entire PCV system all together? I am hoping to be in the 650-700RWHP range
There's no real need to pull the crankcase on a street driven car, read something below 1200rwhp. That's not a concrete HP figure but an approximation. If you have a free path to the catch can, then you're good. Fwiw, some of Titan Motorsports 9 sec and 1200HP cars do away with the PCV system simply run a -10 from each valve cover to a large vented catch can similar to the one I have pictured on the previous page with no issues recorded, and those guys regularly run 30-40psi. Pretty much standard.

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 06-22-2007, 02:38 PM
TECH Regular

Once again, there are alot of different opinions on what works. I agree with all. Could someone post a simple diagram of a cost efficient working system so I can easily follow and plumb in? It would be deeply appreciated... I only want to do this one time.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 06-22-2007, 04:37 PM
Teching In

Diagram sent through PM.

Eric
Old 06-22-2007, 11:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Send me a PM as well
Old 06-23-2007, 01:06 AM
TECH Regular

me as well lol
Old 06-23-2007, 05:43 AM
Staging Lane

And PM me?

Or just post it?
Old 06-24-2007, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

I thought all "street cars" need a PCV system of some kind???
I have seen guys use the suckside of the blower to pull crankcase pressure, use a Evac system that uses the exhaust to pull crankcase and I have seen vaccumm pumps.
I have only seen a hand full of guys use the -10 lines from each valvecover to a catchcan with a filter??

There's no real need to pull the crankcase on a street driven car, read something below 1200rwhp
Someone is going to have to explain this, I thought the stock PCV system pulled crankcase from the factory and there street cars?

I've run dual breathers for a while but have some big catch can ideas in the works.
Your making more power than me, but i would like to see your configuration

I don't care to spend a little money and get it right, but I don't want to mess up several thousand dollar investment (none of us do, lol)
Old 06-24-2007, 10:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Any more info on this?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

ttt for more info damn it!

-B
Old 06-25-2007, 09:58 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T/A KID
I thought all "street cars" need a PCV system of some kind???
I have seen guys use the suckside of the blower to pull crankcase pressure, use a Evac system that uses the exhaust to pull crankcase and I have seen vaccumm pumps.
I have only seen a hand full of guys use the -10 lines from each valvecover to a catchcan with a filter??

Someone is going to have to explain this, I thought the stock PCV system pulled crankcase from the factory and there street cars?

Your making more power than me, but i would like to see your configuration

I don't care to spend a little money and get it right, but I don't want to mess up several thousand dollar investment (none of us do, lol)
All motors need a way to vent excess crankcase pressure and for a run of the mill mom n' pop engine, the stock PCV will work well. However there are more and more engines that are going for big HP by way of superchargers, tubos, and nitrous kits. Think about what happens at wide open throttle. The manifold pressure looses it's vacuum and shoots up to atmosphere, (0 on a boost gauge), and on a FI motor, the pressure shoots up to the preset boost level. The PCV's are no longer working since it's a check valve pressure can only flow one way.

There's aother aspect to think about. Does anyone really want hot oily gasses potentially being sucked back into their fresh air intake? If performance is the goal, the answer should be no.

On a street driven car, read as one that makes 1100Hp and below, a dual -10 catch can of sufficient size does the job perfectly. It keeps hot oily gasses from being sucked back into your intake and provides a free path for excess pressure to escape.

Here is a diagram that I made up. It's general to a V8

Name:  catchcanrouting.jpg
Views: 1732
Size:  15.1 KB

Here is the can I'm talking about

Name:  DSC01698.jpg
Views: 1427
Size:  95.4 KB

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 06-25-2007, 11:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

ok so heres what I have setup (is this correct?):
Attached Thumbnails PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer-pcvsetup.jpg  
Old 06-25-2007, 12:37 PM
Teching In

Hey now, I'm liking that drawing you have there That's a correct way to do it. If there is nothing blocking the forward and rear PCV ports on the passenger side (meaning they breathe freely with each other), a single -10 rear port on the passenger side bank should suffice. Another way would be to link the ports on the passenger side and run the single line to the catch can. The driver side would still have it's own -10an port.

Thanks again!

Eric
Old 06-25-2007, 02:51 PM
TECH Regular

Okay I see a return coming back to the "oil filler" how do I do this. Is there provision under the catchcan to route it back like in the diagram?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay I see a return coming back to the "oil filler" how do I do this. Is there provision under the catchcan to route it back like in the diagram?
Nothing comes from the oil filler?? he is just showing where it is in the drawing?
Old 06-25-2007, 03:06 PM
Teching In

Right, that's what it appears to be. The two lines going to the catch can are both leading from the motor into the reservoir, with the excess oil collecting on the can floor and excess air being vented through the large filter. There's a couple 1100rwhp/40psi cars floating around town that use the exact same system.

Eric
Old 06-26-2007, 12:29 AM
9 Second Club

Here is a pic of my valve covers. As you can see I havent installed the screen or the fittings. But you get the idea. Ryan @ A bear did a excellent job!

Name:  jmgcovers.jpg
Views: 1405
Size:  65.8 KB
Old 06-26-2007, 08:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koji777
I was referring to where I run the oil return (to the filler cap), specifically coming from the scavenge pump off the turbo.

would it help if was to run a line off the catch can back to the inlet of the turbo to pull vacuum? or should I just "T" the two passenger ports and run them along with driver port into the can? (tb and intake get plugged)
Old 06-26-2007, 12:14 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by JAvenger007
I was referring to where I run the oil return (to the filler cap), specifically coming from the scavenge pump off the turbo.

would it help if was to run a line off the catch can back to the inlet of the turbo to pull vacuum? or should I just "T" the two passenger ports and run them along with driver port into the can? (tb and intake get plugged)
The can isn't going to have much vacuum pulled since there's the large 3" filter up top. An vacuum is going to pull from there rather than from the PCV ports. The way to do it would be run your lines from the PCV ports directly into the -10an fittings and let 'er rip. It's up to you whether you "T" it on the passenger side or not, as long as one port goes to the can you will be fine. There's going to be plenty of ventilation

Thanks again,

Eric

Quick Reply: PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer