Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer

Guys I did a search reference catch can systems. I've seen several different opinions and meathods. I'm in the process of installing a system on my car. Is there a definitive, one way... correct way to do this? I'm a simple person... a step by step approach for me would be greatly appreciated.

I'm running a 408 with an F1R 15-20 lbs boost.

Thanks in advance,

Mark
Old 06-18-2007, 03:34 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I use the catch can in line with the PCV valve as described on the Mike Norris instructions. Seems to work fine for me.
Old 06-18-2007, 03:45 PM
12 Second Club

I'm using the hose from the passenger's side valve cover -> catch can -> inlet side of turbo (S/C for you). It's catching oil, but the jury is still out since it's only been on for a week. I may later go from the PCV valve hose.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:07 PM
FormerVendor

The main purpose of a catch can is to basically, catch the oil. Well with 15-20psi , depending on how tight the rings are sealed and power, you will be making some crank case pressure. Fact , you absolutely do not want any oil going back into the intake to land on a hot piston (detonation).

If your doing a serious build, then delete the system, run breathers on both valve covers and possibly a can on the ls6 plate if you have it.

If you want max ring seal, run a vac pump and a catch can. This is the best and should be the only way at your high hp level.
Old 06-18-2007, 07:10 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I throw away the PCV with anything over 8lbs of boost. Ussually 2 breathers or we run the PCV lines to a breather tank.

Our race cars get vacuum pumps which can get expensive for a street car.
Old 06-18-2007, 08:26 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
I throw away the PCV with anything over 8lbs of boost. Ussually 2 breathers or we run the PCV lines to a breather tank.

Exactly. I have my A bear covers with -12 AN 's on both sides. Then the moroso vented catch cans inside each fender. Expensive YUP. Worth every cent IMHO
Old 06-18-2007, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

i connected both valvecover pcv ports with a T fitting, and ran the third end to a catchcan with a breather on it. everything else is blocked off.
Old 06-18-2007, 09:00 PM
TECH Regular

what is a good breather catch can system?
Old 06-19-2007, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Agreed, when the motor reaches a certain point, a filtered catch can will become a hinderance more than anything. At that point, either run breathers directly off the valve covers w/ -10 size ports (may create and oily mess), or have a good catch can with sizable breather.

Eric
Old 06-19-2007, 08:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

so, basically plug the TB, intake, and front valve cover ports and then run the 2 back valve cover ports to a CC with a breather?
Old 06-20-2007, 09:41 AM
TECH Regular

Thats my question. For a simple cost effective, yet functional system do I just have to plug the TB, Intake and front valve cover ports? Take the 2 rear valve cover ports, T them together, run to a catch can with a breather?
Old 06-20-2007, 12:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Street car here with a 383 LT4, 216 AFR heads, and a maxed out D1SC. About to finish the motor and I was told to run from the PCV on the intake to a Oil/air seperator to the suckside of the blower?????

I initially was going to cap off the PCV system completely and run a -10 from each valvecover to a vented catchan from allstar performance (same one Kyle uses). I heard I would have a oily smell and it would not vent good enough (pull crankcase)?????

I am kind of a newb to the PCV and I really don't understand how the system works?

Exactly. I have my A bear covers with -12 AN 's on both sides. Then the moroso vented catch cans inside each fender. Expensive YUP. Worth every cent IMHO
Seems you use the same setup any pics and I guess yours is working flawlessly??

Last edited by T/A KID; 06-20-2007 at 12:42 PM.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:49 PM
TECH Regular

SlowHawk, could you chime in and give me your opinion and explanation of the system you are running. How do you know it is efficient enough? I want to do this one time and be done with it. I'm not going to use a vac pump... I don't beat on her that often to even come close to justifying that need.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:39 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by T/A KID
Street car here with a 383 LT4, 216 AFR heads, and a maxed out D1SC. About to finish the motor and I was told to run from the PCV on the intake to a Oil/air seperator to the suckside of the blower?????

I initially was going to cap off the PCV system completely and run a -10 from each valvecover to a vented catchan from allstar performance (same one Kyle uses). I heard I would have a oily smell and it would not vent good enough (pull crankcase)?????

I am kind of a newb to the PCV and I really don't understand how the system works?

I'm using this catch can from Josh @ KYTB. 3" diameter, w/ 3" K&N filter dual -10an inlets. IMHO, the best on the market as far as style and function. No need for filtering in the can when your motor reaches a certain point. When the motor is pushed hard, we need all the air evacuation we can get.

Name:  DSC01690.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  118.4 KB
Name:  DSC01686.jpg
Views: 1982
Size:  53.2 KB
Old 06-21-2007, 02:02 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by c0wboy
I'm using this catch can from Josh @ KYTB. 3" diameter, w/ 3" K&N filter dual -10an inlets. IMHO, the best on the market as far as style and function. No need for filtering in the can when your motor reaches a certain point. When the motor is pushed hard, we need all the air evacuation we can get.

[IMG]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a355/c0wboy/billet%
20BOV/DSC01690.jpg[/IMG]

any installed pics?
Old 06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
Teching In

No installed pics yet, Josh@KYTP is still holding the group buy for them. I guess I should say that I will be using it It's one badass catch can that incorproates everything a high HP enthusiest needs. Dual -10AN inputs, 1 pint capacity, nice sized 3" K&N filter, billet bracket, and billet construction. I'm sold

Thanks again,

Eric
Old 06-21-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I use to just vent each valve cover with a breather but had oil mist everywhere. I need a new system that will keep everything clean and vent the system well. I don't mind having to maintainence the system to keep it functioning well either, i.e. cleaning out the catch can every 100miles, etc.

The problem with breathers is that they vent the motor but possibly not fast enough and they get oil everywhere. It's basically a pusher type system. Think about how much more air seems to move when you have a push/pull system, i.e. vacuum!

I got my inspiration off a guy on here who recently used those green kitchen scrubbing pads to line his catch can. I don't think he routed the system back to a vacuum source but it works well in my theory.

What's wrong with this set-up?: TB, Intake and LS6 Valley Pan get capped. Route both valve covers to a breatherless catch can filled with the pourous scrubbing pads. Then run a line from the catch can to the intake side of the Turbo/SC system. This would pull infinite vacuum under WOT, maybe even too much if thats possible. The filter would probably get saturated quickly but it would keep oil out of the Turbo/SC and keep the rings seated well.

What do you think? Seems perfect to me and those scrubbing pads are dirt cheap. Worth it for MAYBE $10 per month, if even close to that, depending on how often you get on it. Think about it.
Old 06-21-2007, 11:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

interesting...

but what if we don't have an LS6 valley port?
Old 06-22-2007, 09:44 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,140 Likes on 740 Posts

At major power levels you can't really use the stock pcv hoses because they were only meant to handle stock crankcase pressure, so when you make 3-4 times the power of stock you could end up pushing out seals.

I've run dual breathers for a while but have some big catch can ideas in the works.
Old 06-22-2007, 10:14 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A KID

Seems you use the same setup any pics and I guess yours is working flawlessly??
We used this system on my buddies 900 rwhp Z06. It works flawless. The oil mist was handled by using the pcv screen from an older mustang on the bottom of the oil cap. So here is my setup all in boxes but I know for a Fact it works.
Pcv Screen

Valve covers (Oil caps on both sides )

Morso catch can with -12 AN

Quick Reply: PVC Catch can system.... Final conclusive answer