Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX True Street Challenge - Oct 2007

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 02:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cablebandit
I am a whiner as well. It does suck as you cant "legally" race what most consider to be a fast streetcar. KP eventually went the smart route...he has a racecar and a seperate cruiser.
I have been there many times and it boils down to what an individual can tolerate in a street car, how much effort you are willing to put forth, pracitcal limitations (trailer/truck parking etc) and what you can afford.

If you go on a site like racingjunk 80% of the people with 'real' race cars want to trade for nice streetable cars. Then they will take that car and go faster and faster until its just like the one they were trying to get rid of. Its a circle I have been through maybe 20 times lol.

Unfortunately most cant have their cake and eat it too, if you want to go to bigger events, super chevy, pontiac nationals etc you need to have the safety equipment. I'm not thrilled about having to get a physical every couple years and giving NHRA 200.00 so I can race a car that I could drive on the street if I wanted but thats just how it is. Same with the cage and all the other SFI stuff that expires every few years. But OTOH its nice to go to and race at ANY event you want and not have to sweat getting the boot after one pass. When I had a 6pt in the car and it was running 9s I just slowed it down to 10.0 at those events which kinda sucked but I still had fun anyhow. Its nothing to have the stuff to run 10.00 (except in a vert) and any fast street car should at least be at level pretty anyhow..
Old 07-19-2007, 04:18 PM
9 Second Club

Kp i agree...thats why i am a TNT-er..not a racer...i got into the hobby to run my car and tinker with stuff and thats what i do at a track like steele with no tech.

Oh well, back to making too much power to run too little et....this is one of those situations where my "cake" has gone stale.
Old 07-19-2007, 04:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Kp i agree...thats why i am a TNT-er..not a racer...i got into the hobby to run my car and tinker with stuff and thats what i do at a track like steele with no tech.

Oh well, back to making too much power to run too little et....this is one of those situations where my "cake" has gone stale.
****, lets get a new pastry chef then!!
Old 07-19-2007, 04:38 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I like timeslip racing myself but sometimes its nice to go to some of the bigger events, not just real races. I think its awesome that these days you can power everything, a/c and a 9 second car, but if you want to race it you just have to do what you have to do.

I am by no means a professional racer, far from it, I like to build and tinker as much as anyone else. There are a lot of faster LSx cars around then mine thats for sure. I could go faster but for me its no chute, no ice, and I keep the car (stock wiring, PS/PB/PW etc) where I could put it back on the street full time very easily.
Old 07-19-2007, 05:03 PM
9 Second Club

i agree...it would be really nice but my wife keeps my nutz in her purse and i do what i am told "we better be able to drive it to orlando with a/c and a stereo". I still would like to see who/what would show at a non-teched event for ls1s........while you guys are racing, ill be cleaning leaves out of my condenser
Old 07-19-2007, 05:17 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Well I can understand that, whether you have a street car or a race car it doesnt matter as long as you have fun with it. People seem to be ahamed to call their a car a race car these days for some reason. It would be just as easy to turn yours into a race car as it would be for me to make mine a daily drivable street car so they are closer then most might think. The race car vs street car stuff is a non-winnable debate and its funny how the criterea changes depending on what you drive/race and how fast it is. Some think if it simply has plates its a street car, others think if doesnt have A/C, overdive and full emissions its a race car, most people fall somewhere in between
Old 07-19-2007, 06:00 PM
9 Second Club

you are right....i would love to yank weight out of this thing and see what it would do but I know that I would still be facing the same issues....i dunno how to make the suspension work and it would be MORE evident on a lighter car same power. Weight is a convenient excuse for me being slow but I saw 3700+ # cars at Orlando running low 8s i think it was...so its just an excuse
I am very happy with the car right now. I do miss not being able to run in events like this but sometimes the egos kill the fun for me at events....i dont have that killer instinct so its better that i watch and cheer you guys on!!

A/c is just a comfort thing...you and i both know it isnt much weight...it can ride like an old west wagon as long as i am cool in the cockpit O/D....that swhere i am funny....i got 3.55 gears with o/d and dont like THAT many rpms on the highway...I want 3.08s. You arent kidding...non winnable debate.....Wife says its a streetcar and THATS the one i gotta keep happy......you know what happens if momma aint happy.....

What class you gonna run?
Old 07-19-2007, 07:00 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey cable lets your put your drivetrain in my ride and see what it does, my car's a little lighter than yours lol.

I just wish i had the scratch to build a high hp turbo setup like everyone is doing nowadays.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:52 PM
kp
8 Second Club

What class you gonna run?
9.50 index most likely, I have a better chance of winning there then in drag radial. Even though I will be experimenting with some 325 MT drag radials and it would ne nice to run the car all out, its an expensive trip and I want to at least have a fighting chance of taking home something. Depends who shows in up DR also I guess.

I wish some of the faster guys would at least show up and run the 10.0 index, sucks sitting there for 4.5 seconds racing 14 second cars
Old 07-19-2007, 08:50 PM
9 Second Club

wonder what i need to run that class...10.0index.

In DR, I will be rooting for TwnTrboCE and the Ohio boys...official Mike Brown nutswinger here

Mike went 8.5s i think it was on the 325 drs...I think you will like them. With your knowledge, you could make bicycle tires work!!!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:18 PM
kp
8 Second Club

wonder what i need to run that class...10.0index.

In DR, I will be rooting for TwnTrboCE and the Ohio boys...official Mike Brown nutswinger here

Mike went 8.5s i think it was on the 325 drs...I think you will like them. With your knowledge, you could make bicycle tires work!!!
People have gone bottom 8s with 275/60s but I had problems with bottom 9s wit them. Really depends on the track, tracks around here are so inconsistant for prep its hard to get anything down. Got a few months to figure it out.

Unforunately with a convertable you need a cage (not roll bar) at 10.99, but for t-top/hard top cars you need the basic stuff like a SFI balancer, trans blanket, 5pt roll bar, 5pt harness, right length wheel studs, coolant catch can and driveshaft loop. Plus a snell k98 or better helmet and a single layer jacket. That will get you 10.0 @ 135mph. But honestly most tech guys wont loook to see if you have a blanket or driveshaft loop. Helmet, in date harness, roll bar, jacket, lug nuts/studs, secure battery and catch can is what most look at.

Quick Reply: LSX True Street Challenge - Oct 2007