Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 03:25 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As I mentioned earlier I am willing to bet the Whipple W140AX wil suffice most (2.3L lysholm unit). KB uses Autorotor units so the 2.2-2.4 KB unit might work as well. The KB's scream like all hell too when they wind up. The whipple is actually quieter than the stock Eaton on Cobras to be honest. KB's sound so unique. i have seen 680rwhp from the KB 2.2 on a cammed 03 Cobra with a table top torque curve from 1700 rpms up over 600rwtq.

Last edited by big reg; 08-06-2007 at 05:10 PM.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:09 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Location: Tinker till it blows, then back it off a notch, maybe!!

Here's the latest

I have a 2.x liter twin coming and may have a manifold solution as well.

WHile this was originally for a C6, I will make this thing fit under the hood of an F body and see what the results are.

Now all I need is an F body close to me.

Anyone? Miami area?

we need a guiney pig....
Old 08-06-2007, 05:11 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rjw
Here's the latest

WHile this was originally for a C6, I will make this thing fit under the hood of an F body and see what the results are.

Anyone? Miami area?

we need a guiney pig....
Good deal. Is it a Lysholm or Autorotor unit? If i were in the area you could experiment on my car. I hardly drive it as it is.
Old 08-06-2007, 05:14 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by big reg
Good deal. Is it a Lysholm or Autorotor unit? If i were in the area you could experiment on my car. I hardly drive it as it is.

Lysholm and ths one will be quiet as well
Old 08-07-2007, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by rjw
Here's the latest

Anyone? Miami area?

we need a guiney pig....
*@&% I used to live there!

2.3 Whipple or 2.6(ish) KB. Don't want to cut anything at all, want to keep my wipers, etc. I'd prefer a KB just for the sound , but he screwed over a lot of GN guys way back when, so I'm just as happy (if not happier) going Whipple.

Last edited by IFRYRCE; 08-07-2007 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:46 PM
Staging Lane

come one...dont scrap the c6 design. I was counting on you as an additional option.

As a side note:

Dragon has done little in my mind to convince c6 owners that they stand behind their product. They advertised their supercharger and then disappeared. Then promised track numbers and never returned.

Last edited by Ponch; 08-07-2007 at 01:08 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

For me the cost is going to be somewhat of the main deciding factor, since I don't mind cutting my car the 2.8L KB (that is 9.5" tall) is always an option. I would have to see some sort of data to backup your superior intercooler claim over the KB setup. The 2.8L KB tuner kit can be purchased for $5500-$6000 (List is $6200) and a complete Turn Key Engine Supply custom 8-rib accessory drive can be bought for about $2500-$3000 (included alternator, PS pump, Balancer, 8-rib pulleys, custom tensioner, all mounts) this accessory drive mounts all the accessories in the Fbody configuration. So lets say KB and TKES are in good moods when you call and sell for the low end price so a complete kit with the 2.8L and 8-rib belt (less fuel stuff) is about $8000. If your setup can be 8-rib, use the factory Fbody accessories, fit with less modification to the cowel, and be less than $8000 for all of that you would have something I couldn't turn down.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:18 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Ponch
come one...dont scrap the c6 design. I was counting on you as an additional option.

As a side note:

Dragon has done little in my mind to convince c6 owners that they stand behind their product. They advertised their supercharger and then disappeared. Then promised track numbers and never returned.
Don't worry about that!!

Not scrapping it at all...the C6 setup is more easily accomplished than the F-body.

In other words, once it fits an f-body, should be no problem in a C6, but it would be harder to say the opposite. Plus , I want it to fit both and more!

Dp meth and vacuum pump is instaled, testing is in progress (3.3l C5)

The 2.3L is on it's way as well.

Will post IC results when they are conclusive

Last edited by rjw; 08-07-2007 at 08:26 PM.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:15 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Default Vacuum pump setup

Pictures are worth a thousand words, so...

Old 08-08-2007, 12:30 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG ! That 3.3L on the C5 is just sick I'm subscribing now in hope you will make a kit for the F-body and for the love of GOD please tell me you won't forget the LT1 motor. Do you think the 2.x L twin screws would fit under the Ram Air hood without modification ? Green Dragon, convince him to make a LT1 F-body version

Truly a sick kit....
Old 08-08-2007, 05:43 AM
TECH Resident

This is almost too good to be true. A 2.3l Twinscrew for F-bodies. I just hope it does not turn out like a lot of the Turbo kits in recent memeory on this site. RJW has provided a lot of his background info on a few other sites like Corvette forums and LS2GTO.com and if anyone can make it possible I would say it his him based upon what he has done and accomplished, not to mention he is an engineer. Hopefully this pans out.

On another note the pics look great and I am interested in hearing the results on you I/C ideas and setup. From reading on a few diff forums as mentioned it seems you are on to something. Good work and keep it coming. I know if this comes to fruition, I and several others who have been looking and searching for something like this will be very happy customers.
Old 08-08-2007, 11:02 AM
10 Second Club

Off topic, is that vacuum pump a kit you can buy some where? I only found one kit from GZ Motorsport that I may be able to make fit my F-body by shimming it out.

BTW, the F-body pulley's are offset 3/4" further to the front of the vehicle than the Corvete is from my measurement I took yesterday. I think the GTO is the same as the vete.

Dan

Dan
Old 08-08-2007, 07:43 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DanZ28
Off topic, is that vacuum pump a kit you can buy some where? I only found one kit from GZ Motorsport that I may be able to make fit my F-body by shimming it out.

BTW, the F-body pulley's are offset 3/4" further to the front of the vehicle than the Corvete is from my measurement I took yesterday. I think the GTO is the same as the vete.

Dan

Dan
The pump on this car is a Moroso 4 vane along with a Moroso relief valve.

Pulley on w-pump is custom as is the mounting bracket.

This setup should also fit an F body or GTO

Yup..the good F body news is that the pulleys are further forward....leaves more room at backside of blower.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rjw
Yup..the good F body news is that the pulleys are further forward....leaves more room at backside of blower.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rjw
Here's the latest

Anyone? Miami area?

we need a guiney pig....
I'm a little more than interested.
I'm in west Broward, what are we talking about here?
You just looking to take measurements, or do you want to actually install the kit?
Let me know what your plans are.
My car is a 99 A4.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:01 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sprayjunkie
I'm a little more than interested.
I'm in west Broward, what are we talking about here?
You just looking to take measurements, or do you want to actually install the kit?
Let me know what your plans are.
My car is a 99 A4.

I would come look at your car , take a few measurements and go from there.

When I have something ready, we do the swap and see what happens

i have another possible candidate, but PM me some contact info and let's see what we come up with.

I have access to dyno , etc. so we can see what she does.

Stock bottom end?
Old 08-09-2007, 01:24 AM
TECH Apprentice

For the love of all that Holy.... PLEASE MAKE SOMETHING FOR US LT1/4 GUY'S!!

Price be damned... my money would be yours!
Old 08-09-2007, 10:12 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That would be cool to make a kit for the LT1/4's but I really can't see any market for it, and I own 2 LT1 cars and another 385ci SDPC built LT4! I have one for sale, that has over $20k in parts alone (most brand new) and a $9k paint job and I have had ZERO bites and I am asking $17k. If it were an LS1 car it would be gone by now. There are just very few people out there willing to spend on LTx's, I think us 3 are the majority of them I already have a LS1 takeout that I plan to use all the ancillary/misc parts to put on a 402 LS2/427 Warhawk/ 440 LS7 (choice depends on the 93 TA ever selling) to put in my 95 "Green Dragon". Sorry I am not helping your cause, but I am getting jaded dealing with the LTx's.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:03 PM
TECH Apprentice

I really never understood that line of thinking... "nobody ever spends money on the LT1, therefore, the market must be dead."

Nobody spends money on the LT1 because there is nothing to spend it on. Every manufacturer jumped on the LS1 bandwagon when they first came out, because they were the new coolest motor, and they left the LT1 in the dust!

How many head manufacturers make LT1/4 heads... what, 2 or 3 tops, with maybe 1 or 2 flavors of head per manufacturer!

Now flip over to the LSx side of things... 23 billion different heads to choose from!

The same can be said for the forced induction side of things. LT1/4's really only have one option when it comes to FI... ATI D1sc. On the other side, the LSx is flooded with forced induction kits, every damn time I turn around a new kit is coming out, single turbo, twin turbo, twinscrew... and on, and on!

It's my opinion that there is a giant void in the F-body market and thats with the LT1's. You have 20 different forced induction manufactures fighting over a set amount of LS1 buyers, while the LT1 guys sit in the dark and jack ourselfs off.

Make a kit for the LT1 and you will corner the market.

Make a kit for the LS1 and you will be one of twenty.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:10 PM
rjw
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Houdini
I really never understood that line of thinking... "nobody ever spends money on the LT1, therefore, the market must be dead."

Nobody spends money on the LT1 because there is nothing to spend it on. Every manufacturer jumped on the LS1 bandwagon when they first came out, because they were the new coolest motor, and they left the LT1 in the dust!

How many head manufacturers make LT1/4 heads... what, 2 or 3 tops, with maybe 1 or 2 flavors of head per manufacturer!

Now flip over to the LSx side of things... 23 billion different heads to choose from!

The same can be said for the forced induction side of things. LT1/4's really only have one option when it comes to FI... ATI D1sc. On the other side, the LSx is flooded with forced induction kits, every damn time I turn around a new kit is coming out, single turbo, twin turbo, twinscrew... and on, and on!

It's my opinion that there is a giant void in the F-body market and thats with the LT1's. You have 20 different forced induction manufactures fighting over a set amount of LS1 buyers, while the LT1 guys sit in the dark and jack ourselfs off.

Make a kit for the LT1 and you will corner the market.

Make a kit for the LS1 and you will be one of twenty.
thro up a few pictures of your engine compartment, and let's see what it looks like?

Quick Reply: Just fired up my 3.3L Whipple on my C5 Z06