Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Stay D1 or go F1????????

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:13 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you dothe math 60lb injectors wont do anywhere near 1000fwhp either, dyno racing is dyno racing lol.

I'm pretty sure I could put a 3750lb raceweight car in the 9s with a 346 and a D1 considering the D1 has run a best of 9.17 @ 149.8 in this car at 3400lbs.

But that 408 is going to cost you another 100 or so lbs and it depends what you are doing for a transmission/tires/suspension. No such thing as 'easy' 9 second passes unless you go buy a 9 second car from someone

But if you are wanting 9s I would get the F1A..
Old 08-11-2007, 12:26 AM
TECH Addict

Oh trust me I know its not easy to hit 10's yet even 9's but was wondering if it was practical or not. 60# with 1000fwhp doesn't make sense to me either. I was thinking of running 750rwhp max and 650rwhp to start and am still contemplating the 60#'s myself. Do you think they'd suffice or do you think I should step it up also?
Old 08-11-2007, 12:41 AM
kp
8 Second Club

60lb injectors can take you a long way if you have the fuel pressure to back it up. There is a big difference between wanting to run 9s in a heavy car and running 10s.

Making the power and getting decent ETs are two different things so its best to set a goal and stick with it. Big difference between a 650hp street car and a 9 second race car.

10s is pretty easy, I did it on a stock motor with a P1SC in a pretty heavy full interior car, only thing that was missing was the a/c compressor and condensor

http://video.ls1tech.com/search/p1sc...32d9a380c6.htm
Old 08-11-2007, 12:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
60lb injectors can take you a long way if you have the fuel pressure to back it up. There is a big difference between wanting to run 9s in a heavy car and running 10s.

Making the power and getting decent ETs are two different things so its best to set a goal and stick with it. Big difference between a 650hp street car and a 9 second race car.

10s is pretty easy, I did it on a stock motor with a P1SC in a pretty heavy full interior car, only thing that was missing was the a/c compressor and condensor

http://video.ls1tech.com/search/p1sc...32d9a380c6.htm
Ya if I don't hit 10's with mine I am lighting it on fire, LOL! I know the weight is the main thing once 9 becomes a goal, I'll jsut take it one step at a time. I know you ran several different fuel systems as I searched and read a few of your threads. I was wondering how far a single hot wired walbro 255 with a bap got ya if you ran it. I am pretty sure I am going steel braided lines with a BRFPR and was thinkning of an external but thoughts of a double pumper now? I kow it would be best to do it right the first time to support the higher hp when it comes. Jsut not sure which route would be better and/or cheaper? Having to hack the stock bucket or sumping the tank, etc? Also, I am going to have a full suspension and drivetrain to help, just haven't decided on springs/shocks yet. Something that compliments the track but won't drive me nuts on the street. Any sugestions? Thanks KP for the help, sure saves me alot of grief/time and I know you have been there and have not just HEARD it from somebody, LOL

Last edited by Websy21; 08-11-2007 at 01:04 AM.
Old 08-11-2007, 01:06 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Talk to MM or someone about what drives nice, cant help you there. I daily drive a stock new mustang GT vert and it rides great, ice cold air, shaker 1000 stereo and its under warranty - but its pretty slow
Old 08-11-2007, 07:10 AM
TECH Addict

Sorry to hear that on the GT, just kidding KP. Thanks for your help. Anyways, I got my own thread off topic last night..........damb you! Any other takers and/or comments??????
Old 08-11-2007, 12:48 PM
9 Second Club

Received 277 Likes on 105 Posts

Default 60#'s

"If you dothe math 60lb injectors wont do anywhere near 1000fwhp either, dyno racing is dyno racing lol."

Exactly.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is one of the most helpful threads I've ever read in this section.
Old 08-11-2007, 02:24 PM
TECH Addict

I'm glad you enjoy it too, it would be great if the opinions kept coming
Old 08-11-2007, 04:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Wow lots of good info in this one. I would use the d1 personally. you can put down 650-700 rwhp with fairly low boost easy, then you would have a very dependable street/strip car. I daily drive my car to work and I would have to say its just about perfect for the street. I put down 620rwhp any more than this would just be rediculious for the street. you also have to remember that with the 408 your going to have quite a bit more torque in the low rpm range which is not going to help much for traction on the street. If building a 347 (forged crank, rods, pistons) wasnt as much as building a stroker I would have done another one. mine would have got me in the mid 10's easy if I got some good weather (under 90) and a decent 60 foot (under 1.8).
Hope this helps a bit, I understand the fustration Ive been there. I dont think you will be sorry either way.
Good luck
Brian
Old 08-11-2007, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by nvmy2000ss
Wow lots of good info in this one. I would use the d1 personally. you can put down 650-700 rwhp with fairly low boost easy, then you would have a very dependable street/strip car. I daily drive my car to work and I would have to say its just about perfect for the street. I put down 620rwhp any more than this would just be rediculious for the street. you also have to remember that with the 408 your going to have quite a bit more torque in the low rpm range which is not going to help much for traction on the street. If building a 347 (forged crank, rods, pistons) wasnt as much as building a stroker I would have done another one. mine would have got me in the mid 10's easy if I got some good weather (under 90) and a decent 60 foot (under 1.8).
Hope this helps a bit, I understand the fustration Ive been there. I dont think you will be sorry either way.
Good luck
Brian
Ya thats what I think, I don't know how I could be upset if I chose to go with the D1? It will make alot of power, especially for the street. Thanks for posting your experience of coarse it helps
Old 03-11-2008, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

wow I'm surprised I came across this thread doing a search. I'm in a somewhat similar decision to be made, but mine's for building the motor, and I found reading through this has helped a ton. Awesome!

Web, what did you finally decide on?
Old 03-11-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i ran the D1 the last 2 seasons and I enjoyed it, I made 683 rwhp with it and it was a blast but I got used to it. now im into an F1A and the big red procharger race valve, I hope i will enjoy the noise and not get sick of it. I do have a killer stereo system though so i can just crank that up.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

I decided on a D-1 kit but the person selling it to me fell though. I actually paid for it and ended up getting a refund that I was very leary about. I than came across a great deal on a front mount turbo kit and couldn't pass it up. It came with everything, and I mean everything! In some cases I wish I got the D-1 kit in others aspects but I know once its all done the turbo will be hella fun, if not more I also had the 408 all built and completely assembled but decided to order a new callies dragonslayer stock 3.622 stroke to make it a 370. This will give me more room for the current hairdryer and will spin it up a bit higher. The more I read about the 370, the more I wanted to try it out! It will make for allot better combo.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:53 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
I decided on a D-1 kit but the person selling it to me fell though. I actually paid for it and ended up getting a refund that I was very leary about. I than came across a great deal on a front mount turbo kit and couldn't pass it up. It came with everything, and I mean everything! In some cases I wish I got the D-1 kit in others aspects but I know once its all done the turbo will be hella fun, if not more I also had the 408 all built and completely assembled but decided to order a new callies dragonslayer stock 3.622 stroke to make it a 370. This will give me more room for the current hairdryer and will spin it up a bit higher. The more I read about the 370, the more I wanted to try it out! It will make for allot better combo.
Nothing like being decisive

FWIW with the new 365 I went 5.79 @ 118 in the 1/8 in some pretty crappy weather with the D1SC nowhere near maxed out a month ago. Got to give some respect to that little blower, I think I could see 8s with it but I'm not going to spend too much effort to do it unless some great weather rolls around this spring.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Nothing like being decisive

FWIW with the new 365 I went 5.79 @ 118 in the 1/8 in some pretty crappy weather with the D1SC nowhere near maxed out a month ago. Got to give some respect to that little blower, I think I could see 8s with it but I'm not going to spend too much effort to do it unless some great weather rolls around this spring.
Yup you got it and another reason I took your advice on the D-1 was b/c of the damn noise that the F-1 makes. I don't like it at all, sounds like a 747 at take off!

In the end its all about taking your time and planning everything to work together. I am glad that it didn't go together last year. It woud have been rushed and probably some wrong decisions that sometimes either have to be researched better or gained from experience alone. I think that my project will turn out great, not saying there won't be any bugs to work out, but it should work very well for what I want it to do.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by Websy21
Yup you got it and another reason I took your advice on the D-1 was b/c of the damn noise that the F-1 makes. I don't like it at all, sounds like a 747 at take off!
Doesnt matter on a race car really, helps get people out of your way. With the D1 at the track I had to point the vortech mondo out one of the holes in the bumper because people couldnt hear the car and wouldnt move out of the way. A little blast of air gets their attention now.

Thats not a problem with the F1A thats for sure but I dont know if I could street drive one for any length of time, its some pretty hardcore sound.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by kp
Doesnt matter on a race car really, helps get people out of your way. With the D1 at the track I had to point the vortech mondo out one of the holes in the bumper because people couldnt hear the car and wouldnt move out of the way. A little blast of air gets their attention now.

Thats not a problem with the F1A thats for sure but I dont know if I could street drive one for any length of time, its some pretty hardcore sound.
Thats my point and in my case its a street car that doesn't see much track. For the track I agree, if you think you might be getting close to its efficiency range or going bigger cubes you might as well get the F1A or bigger off the bat.
Old 03-12-2008, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Drewstein
I can hook mine up on the street. Imagine your face when I fly by...
Speaking of... when my car is done lets set something up

Edit: That was a long time ago you posted, lol. But my offer still stands

Last edited by 2000 Tran Zam; 03-12-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:49 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

The CTS-V that we just finished building with an F-1A sounds loud at idle, but once you're driving down the road you don't hear it. Bob

Quick Reply: Stay D1 or go F1????????