Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My APS TT Install Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2007 | 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ojunkie
Hey Todd I wont be able to make it tonight my cousin jus showed from WV. I didnt know she was comeing. I'll make it down tomarrow night and I should have my car. Have fun, lol
It's Tony, but I will let it slide this time James. Have fun with your cousin and let me know when you start on your kit.
Old 09-03-2007 | 09:47 AM
TECH Veteran

Good to see you coming along so well. So you decided to not do a cam and heads now since you just put in new springs in the stock heads?
Not a big deal the kit should make decent power on bone stock engine ,decent enough for most sane people...but the insane ones want stupid power.LOL I guess I am one of those people.

You make me want to just bolt on my aps kit to current motor.Since I can't decide if want a 408 6.0 engine or a LSX 427 engine. Pretty much set on afr 225s and going to use my current baby lingenfelter cam maybe with some 1.8 scorpion rocker arms for a bit more lift and using my fast 90 and NW 90 also. Will never go past 20psi ever.

Are you going to be able to keep working on the car thruout this coming week? Looks like you could maybe have it ready to fire up this week at the rate you seem to be going.

Be curious to see how has the first aps kits installed and then hopefully we can start seeing some track and dyno numbers with various combos.

If I do a different engine it will be spring before I have my kit on the car. Car goes away end of october and not very likely would have new engine and heads by then. Too much money to put out and still need to buy ypipe and fuel system. And rear end is high on the list of to do things as well.
Old 09-03-2007 | 11:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

Looking good Hugger. Got a question. On the front where the intercooler sits and the rubber peice goes over it Step 62-64. Does it want us to cut off the tap, or bent if over. I think cut it off. Is that right. Picture really doesn't do it for me. And on step 20 and step 66-72, can I just cut it off instead of bending them over. I think it would look better cut off and not bent over. Just want to make sure theres not something held up by it or something. thanks
Old 09-03-2007 | 06:46 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

looks great bro
Old 09-03-2007 | 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I will be watching this build.
Old 09-03-2007 | 08:12 PM
TECH Apprentice

Ah man I feel bad Tony lol. I had a email open to a friend named Todd at the same time, I must of just got them mixed up and I didnt even relize it until you posted that. Sorry.

How far did you get with it? I know you said you wanted to have it running today, so is it? I have to work tomarrow, cant pass up the ot right now. but maybe after I get out I could stop down. I did pull the pump on mine today and all the lines are swollen back up and split. I'd like to make another go at it on wednsday if the wether holds out. Let me know I do want to help its just **** keeps comeing up all the time. It happens everytime I need to work on mine car also.
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

Default Updates from Monday 03Sep07

Monday was another busy day. Got all of the oil and coolant lines to the turbo's plumbed in. Ran some of the wiring around the turbo's. That was a treat with the tight spaces under there....... My knuckles are still thanking me today.

Got the K-Member back in the car. Thanks to my buddy Dave! I needed the extra hands to get that beotch lined up right. Still gotta move some of the wiring tonight as it is not correct according to the install manual. What a pain trying to get the K-member in and keep all of that stuff in place..... Oh well. It will get there eventually.

While I did not get it roadworthy by yesterday, I am not very far off. Only another day or two of wrenching after work and it should be ready to fire up and get an initial tune!

Got a line on getting a custom exhaust. And still need to go get my gauges for the gauge pillar. So close, I can't wait!

Final pics are of some of the tight clearances at the moment. The motor still has to be bolted to the k-member and the manifolds need to be tightened. I will check these again after all of that. But there are some very tight clearances!
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_lh-turbo-plumbed.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_rh-turbo-plumbed.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_k-member.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_k-member-installed.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_k-member-installed2.jpg  

My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_k-member-installed3.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_lh-turbo-inlet.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_rh-turbo-inlet.jpg  

Last edited by Hugger Z; 09-04-2007 at 09:42 AM.
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:19 AM
12 Second Club

Default Update from Monday 03Sep07

More pics from Monday of the tight clearances I need to keep an eye on.
Attached Thumbnails My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_lh-downpipe-clearance.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_lh-wastegate-clearance.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_rh-turbo-clearance.jpg   My APS TT Install Thread-03sep07_rh-wastegate-clearance.jpg  
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:21 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
Good to see you coming along so well. So you decided to not do a cam and heads now since you just put in new springs in the stock heads?

Are you going to be able to keep working on the car thruout this coming week? Looks like you could maybe have it ready to fire up this week at the rate you seem to be going.

Be curious to see how has the first aps kits installed and then hopefully we can start seeing some track and dyno numbers with various combos.
Yeah current status of funds limited how much I could do to the car now. That and I would be more than happy with the 500 rwhp the kit made on the mock-up car. Later on I plan to do some engine upgrades. Gotta finish paying off this round of mods first!
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:23 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by KWIKKAR
Looking good Hugger. Got a question. On the front where the intercooler sits and the rubber peice goes over it Step 62-64. Does it want us to cut off the tap, or bent if over. I think cut it off. Is that right. Picture really doesn't do it for me. And on step 20 and step 66-72, can I just cut it off instead of bending them over. I think it would look better cut off and not bent over. Just want to make sure theres not something held up by it or something. thanks
I just cut off that tab. I have a picture of it trimmed before I put on the rubber strip. Not sure about the top edges. I suppose you could cut them off. Might want to weld a strip there to make sure the beam is still strong. Those tabs that get bent up are spot welded together. If you cut them off you would be removing those welds.
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:26 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by n2ojunkie
How far did you get with it? I know you said you wanted to have it running today, so is it? I have to work tomarrow, cant pass up the ot right now. but maybe after I get out I could stop down. I did pull the pump on mine today and all the lines are swollen back up and split. I'd like to make another go at it on wednsday if the wether holds out. Let me know I do want to help its just **** keeps comeing up all the time. It happens everytime I need to work on mine car also.
It's very close James. Still didn't get that stupid sending unit out of my tank though. So that is still on my list. I am hoping another day or two after work and she will be ready to fire up! As long as I can get all of the wiring straightened up (I gotta move one of the wires that did not get routed currectly during the K-Member install). The rest of the charge pipes and stuff should be a piece of cake and go quickly. Good luck with yours!
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:39 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Hugger Z
It's very close James. Still didn't get that stupid sending unit out of my tank though. So that is still on my list. I am hoping another day or two after work and she will be ready to fire up! As long as I can get all of the wiring straightened up (I gotta move one of the wires that did not get routed currectly during the K-Member install). The rest of the charge pipes and stuff should be a piece of cake and go quickly. Good luck with yours!
if your trying to get that gold ring loose.....take a flatblade screw driver and give it a few small taps to get it moving. its a tight summabitch.
Old 09-04-2007 | 09:42 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLKWS6
if your trying to get that gold ring loose.....take a flatblade screw driver and give it a few small taps to get it moving. its a tight summabitch.
Tried a flat blade screwdriver, tried a blunt punch. Beat the hell out of it and still no movement.....

Last edited by Hugger Z; 09-04-2007 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Tried a flat blade screwdriver, tried a blunt punch. Beat the hell out of it and still no movement.....
not to sound like an ***...but you are moving it in the right direction. it can only turn one way if i remember correctly.
Old 09-04-2007 | 11:38 AM
12 Second Club

not to sound like an ***...but you are moving it in the right direction. it can only turn one way if i remember correctly.
Yup, the star pattern only allows it to unlock in one direction. I can figure that much out. I am an engineer.
Old 09-04-2007 | 12:57 PM
11 Second Club

everything looks nice and snug i would say...lol. i hope everything works out with the clearances and nothing becomes a huge issue.

BTW...your doin a great job with keeping everyone posted on your install....im watchin very carefully so i really appreciate you takin the time to post everything up.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:10 PM
Launching!

Dude, she be looking purdy!!! I cant wait to see it back on the road soon. Let me know if I can help with anything...but I am sure you engineers got it covered....

Keep it up and youll be rollin in it later this week.
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Yup, the star pattern only allows it to unlock in one direction. I can figure that much out. I am an engineer.
lol...yeah i was just checking. Get a bigger hammer
Old 09-04-2007 | 01:37 PM
TECH Apprentice

I can figure that much out. I am an engineer.
That's a good one. Let me know how the custom exhaust works out. I may want to do the same. Great job so far, I'm excited to get started myself.
Old 09-05-2007 | 08:51 AM
12 Second Club

lol...yeah i was just checking. Get a bigger hammer
And a bigger hammer for the win!!! Chris (Irocss85) stopped by last night and helped with that ring. Thanks for the tutoring man! Came right off.
Originally Posted by Murdock
That's a good one. Let me know how the custom exhaust works out. I may want to do the same. Great job so far, I'm excited to get started myself.
I have a friend that works at PFE over on the east side. I think they will be making the exhaust. 3" Y into a 4" pipe over the axle, back into dual outlets. Gonna try it with no mufflers to start and see how it sounds..... Hopefully it will be over there later this week or maybe this weekend if I can ever finish this install. It is going slower than I had hoped.

Quick Reply: My APS TT Install Thread