Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are Supras still winning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Why are Supras still winning?

I think Supras are awesome cars. There is no doubt they are well engineered and fun to mod. The sealing surfaces in the motor are one of the big keys to why they can turn up the boost so high and get high peak HP. With that said, I would much rather have an American v8. Not only would I feel like a sellout driving a foreign car, but the sound and general feel is just not what I grew up to love.

The ls1 has the potential to blow the average supra out of the water. It’s just that the supra guys got a big head start on running a big power adder from the factory. Maybe someday GM will build us a boost ready v8 (the Ford guys got it).

The thing that is irritating about many of the supra guys (and I know quite a few) is their arrogance. They act is if the stupid car is a shrine and that it has no flaws. They talk a ton of trash about how their cars can support 900hp from the factory…, but when you ask them to run in a controlled legal environment, they are suddenly are full of excuses. Unlike the typical ls1 guy, they take it very personally when you point out a flaw in their car. Now this is a huge stereo type and I’m sure many of them are much more down to earth, but this is the image that I have seen from the crowed.

Ls1 guys are just more down to earth. We know there are flaws in our cars and we enjoy the challenge of trying to fix them and take it to the next level.
Old 06-03-2003, 11:55 AM
Teching In

Ls1 guys are just more down to earth. We know there are flaws in our cars and we enjoy the challenge of trying to fix them and take it to the next level.

Agreed! That's why I bring my "import" out to hang out with F-bodies. You folks are a much more open minded community (and more fun to race than the typical import).
Old 06-03-2003, 11:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, the problem with 94supraTT that I have is that he is ignorant about drag racing rules. Whoever crosses the finish line the fastest, DOES NOT WIN! Ahhhh yes, that would go to the V8 that was busy busting the supra's *** at the start, and all the way down the 1320 crossing the finish line FIRST! This just reminds me of the tortise and the hair story. The fastest one isn't always the first to finish the race. Yeah it gives you a real seat of the pants feel being pushed back in your seat gently-but quickly; but I would rather feel the rush of an absolutely violent, gear-banging, tire destroying, ear deafening run with the 8 cylinders just a screamin' at me to give it more,-more throttle so I can truly embarass the dyno queen supras that waste space on the lanes of our local drag strip.
I wish they would just stick to what they are good at, the highway. It's just stupid watching a 116 MPH supra not be able to break a 13.2, then they get back with their supra buddies and everyone asks: "What was your trap speed man?!" That to me is just dumb. And SmokinHawk had a very good point, supra horsepower is not near as strong as V8 hp. I once raced a 505rwhp supra from a dig, let him get the jump and I still beat him by a nose(this was when I first got my car and it was stock). If we had went about another half a mile though he would've pulled by me. But this takes us right back to the drag strip; I finished first, so I won. Period. There is no denying that.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:06 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

94 import, thanks for the turbo sizing update.. obviously the article I read recently must have referred to "that" Supra which had two different size turbos. I enjoy your visits here , keep it comin'.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:49 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ok, the problem with 94supraTT that I have is that he is ignorant about drag racing rules. Whoever crosses the finish line the fastest, DOES NOT WIN! Ahhhh yes, that would go to the V8 that was busy busting the supra's *** at the start, and all the way down the 1320 crossing the finish line FIRST! This just reminds me of the tortise and the hair story. The fastest one isn't always the first to finish the race. Yeah it gives you a real seat of the pants feel being pushed back in your seat gently-but quickly; but I would rather feel the rush of an absolutely violent, gear-banging, tire destroying, ear deafening run with the 8 cylinders just a screamin' at me to give it more,-more throttle so I can truly embarass the dyno queen supras that waste space on the lanes of our local drag strip.
I wish they would just stick to what they are good at, the highway. It's just stupid watching a 116 MPH supra not be able to break a 13.2, then they get back with their supra buddies and everyone asks: "What was your trap speed man?!" That to me is just dumb. And SmokinHawk had a very good point, supra horsepower is not near as strong as V8 hp. I once raced a 505rwhp supra from a dig, let him get the jump and I still beat him by a nose(this was when I first got my car and it was stock). If we had went about another half a mile though he would've pulled by me. But this takes us right back to the drag strip; I finished first, so I won. Period. There is no denying that.
if you are sooooo confindent make a trip to chicago and i'll get over a handful of supras together that you can race and YOU can pick from...we'll see how well they get outta da hole. You dont think the guys who are into drag racing supras dont have high stalling converters? or 2 steps for those with manuals? or a small shot of nitrous to get it spooln'?

I'm not trying to say that the supra is all high and mighty, i'm just simply trying to show some of you that the stigma MOST SUPRAS get is from the majority of people who own them, not the MINORITY who actually RACES them
Old 06-04-2003, 02:27 PM
Teching In

Ok, the problem with 94supraTT that I have is that he is ignorant about drag racing rules. Whoever crosses the finish line the fastest, DOES NOT WIN!
JimmyKash pretty much took the words right out of my mouth. However I am curious as to why you think I don't know drag racing rules. Please show me where in my posts that I implied that the car with the faster MPH won. You will not find it.

94 import, thanks for the turbo sizing update.. obviously the article I read recently must have referred to "that" Supra which had two different size turbos. I enjoy your visits here , keep it comin'.
No prob! Honestly I didn't come to flame people and am glad most are able to see that.
Old 06-04-2003, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I thought this started out about power vs power. Nothing at all about suspensions or prices of cars. Two different motors , two different cars, two different prices, two different setups, and two different suspensions. It would probably be easier to compare the Corvette and the Surpa but, I am not trying to start another thread.
Supras are cool. SSs are cool. Trans Ams are cool. Corvettes are cool. Trucks are cooler. Anyone can outrun anyone. All it takes is money, time, and brains. Why are TopFuelers still winning?
Respect everyone. There will always be someone faster.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

I thought this started out about power vs power. Nothing at all about suspensions or prices of cars. Two different motors , two different cars, two different prices, two different setups, and two different suspensions. It would probably be easier to compare the Corvette and the Surpa but, I am not trying to start another thread.
Supras are cool. SSs are cool. Trans Ams are cool. Corvettes are cool. Trucks are cooler. Anyone can outrun anyone. All it takes is money, time, and brains. Why are TopFuelers still winning?
Respect everyone. There will always be someone faster.
finally...some useful contribution
Old 06-05-2003, 04:36 AM
Teching In

The supra in the video is owned by Motorsports Performance in Frederick, Maryland. It's the fastest stock body in North America. Autos run faster E.Ts for the turbos because during shifts they loose less boost. That is the reson it's difficult to pick up shifts. The car has a built auto with unbreakable block. However, with their single turbo they have cracked that type of block three times. No lie, driver is Paul Efantis. Ending autos are much easier to drive than a manual with light fly wheel.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:06 AM
Teching In

The supra in the video is owned by Motorsports Performance in Frederick, Maryland. It's the fastest stock body in North America. Autos run faster E.Ts for the turbos because during shifts they loose less boost. That is the reson it's difficult to pick up shifts. The car has a built auto with unbreakable block. However, with their single turbo they have cracked that type of block three times. No lie, driver is Paul Efantis. Ending autos are much easier to drive than a manual with light fly wheel.
Here's a video of a 6 speed Supra with a super light flywheel on drag radials:

http://highboost.com/movies/TitanRace/titan9160.mpg

This car was also the NHRA Import street tire champion.
Old 06-05-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

noshoes. since you have worked on both cars ,witch is cheaper to put in the 9s in the quarter mile. thanks for your imput.
Old 06-05-2003, 10:01 AM
Teching In

noshoes. since you have worked on both cars ,witch is cheaper to put in the 9s in the quarter mile. thanks for your imput.
For NINES, the Supra, in my humble opinion. Even though there really IS no replacement for displacement, especially if you turbocharge the LS1, BUT getting into the internals on the LS1 (or any motor) can be expensive. The Supra, when properly tuned, can still use the factory block. It's all of the other parts required that still make this an expensive proposition.

For 10s, I favor the LS1 powered F-bodies. As more folks modify the car and contribute their findings, the path to going fast at the dragstrip gets less expensive overall. 10 second Supras (at least the mid-low 10 sec cars) require most of the modifications that a 9 second Supra would.

For overall potential, the LS1 comes out on top.

Either way, both of the cars are fun. Please forgive me, but I feel that the Supra is nothing more than an overbuilt Japanese Camaro, anyways.
Old 06-05-2003, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

not sure if you didn't see my other post...but there is a supra i know of that had a small 60-1 turbo on it with a converter, a built tranny, valve cover had never been lifted on the car, and a 125dp shot, and of course the fuel system to feed it. Went 9.80s like CLOCKWORK.

Car ran that way for over 2 years and never broke that i know of, except maybe trannies.
Old 06-05-2003, 04:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have respect for those little cars. I have raced a few of them that were for the most part bone stock. And it was fun eating them up. I have not had the luck to run into a modded on yet. Most people seem not to like imports. but i do . casue with all of this hype their is bound to be lost of money invested into new proudcts. And im sure some of that will work its way onto or into our lt1/ls1. And with out imports you dont have some one to race at every corner. You have to give them credit , They will race their little cars agianst anything.
Old 06-05-2003, 06:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Didnt one of SW's Supras go high 9's without ever having the head off the car?
Old 06-05-2003, 10:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Head off or not, It still cost $40,000 to $50,000 in mods... Also the 700, 900, 1000rwhp Supras go up like popcorn, but Supra owners seem to be afraid to post that the almightly blew holes in the hood. Are Supras winning what? Races? Drag racing? Road Racing? Riddle me this: Where is the Supra? They have not even won thier own special event in Texas....
Old 06-05-2003, 11:27 PM
Teching In

Head off or not, It still cost $40,000 to $50,000 in mods... Also the 700, 900, 1000rwhp Supras go up like popcorn, but Supra owners seem to be afraid to post that the almightly blew holes in the hood. Are Supras winning what? Races? Drag racing? Road Racing? Riddle me this: Where is the Supra? They have not even won thier own special event in Texas....
Here is SW's list of parts. His car went 9s at 154 and the head had NEVER been off the car.

T72 Turbo kit $4000
GReddy 3 row FMIC $1400
HKS 272 cams $525 x 2
Crower Valve springs $595
Crower Ti Retainers $350
NOS 90 shot $490

Fuel: $2000

850cc Injectors
Weldon Pump
Weldon Fuel Pressure Regulator
HKS Fuel Rail

Electronics:

HKS EZ Boost Controller $329
HKS VPC $800
Apexi S-AFC $300
Interior:

Greddy Gauges $300
Drivetrain:

TRD Twin-Disk Clutch $1500

Thats what SW had done to his car as far as mod wise. The total is $11314. Thats at FULL price. I'm sure buying at that stuff at once I would be able to get much of it at discount. The clutch for one could be substituted for the AZ clutch which I can get fot $575. I think I could get that list for $9000-$10000. Of course you have to pay for tuning and slicks/rims. Regardless that is no where NEAR $40,000-$50,000 in mods that you are claiming. As far as 700hp+ Supras going POP its no where near as often as you are claiming. The whole reason why Supra guys aren't afraid to run 700,800,900hp on the stock block is because THE BLOCK WILL HOLD IT bone stock. Sure some people have popped. Heck some people have popped with less then 400hp. Usually its from running TOO much boost on low octane gas. Seriously I think its ridiculous to make claims on matters you know very little about. To think that it would cost $50,000 in mods to make a Supra run 9s truly shows your lack of knowledge when it comes to Supras. Sorry I'm you feel I am coming of as a smartass but its just the truth.
Old 06-06-2003, 01:55 AM
TECH Regular

I'm about tired of all the stories about how Supras are slow for the HP they make. LOOK AT THE FREAKIN' MPH! Anyone that knows anything about drag racing knows that the MPH tells the tale of how FAST the car is the ET is more about how QUICK a car is.
Yeah, great mph... go race from a highway roll and here's a cookie for winning because no tracks do 60+mph roll racing, sorry but the LS1 crossed the finish line first.

Contrary to what some may think it does NOT cost an arm and a leg to make a Supra fast. I put out 100rwhp OVER stock with $650 in mods. It DOES not cost $80k as someone stated to make 800rwhp. Its quite a bit less then that. If you want exact numbers I can post them you might be surprised.

Yes, Supras are cheap to mod in the SHORT RUN. Why? Because you already have the turbo! All you gotta do to get 100 more hp is raise the boost and put a bigger exhaust on it. But what happens when you want to go single? You start spending mad $$$. And FYI, I said 1000+hp for $80k, don't believe me? Go to Mark (King of Supras) Tozer's website: www.suprastore.com and look at some of the 1000+hp 10 second Supras for sell.
Old 06-06-2003, 02:19 AM
TECH Regular

Crunch,

Here is what a well tuned Supra can do in DRs in the right hands...

http://kane.phpwebhosting.com/~*****....46%20RUN1.mpg

right click and save
Now that's just plain FAST!
Old 06-06-2003, 02:22 AM
TECH Regular

Almost EVERY american 1/4 mile race car that is anything is also rear wheel drive with a power adder. Not a valid excuse. Next.
Granted we are talking about an import, not an American car here........whats your point? The Supra wasnt built around the drag strip. It was more intended for taking turns, which it does quite well. Some tend to think of the MKIV as a "pig", while it compares closely to our FBody's in mass.

And being the car has IRS, its a totally different animal that our solid axle'd cars. IRS can be tamed with heavy suspension work, and a good driver to boot, but these Supras making the power that they do (stock and modded), are far more a handful on the track than any solid axle counterpart. Believe me, these cars DO have torque, granted they arent as responsive to show it as our NA V8's, but then again, its a totally different motor. Apples and oranges. The only thing "comparable" at the track to a Supra would be the 03' Cobra, granted IRS. Many of you have heard and even witnessed what these guys are going through with wheelhop, axle breakage, and trannys taking a dump. The IRS leads to alot more than traction issues.

This is not my theory on why Supras run 12 second passed with traps over 130mph, it is factual. It is quite amusing, just like AG Formula even stated, on how we all joke the Supra guys on their consistancy with the unbalanced time slips, but when these guys get their crap together, they plain out get the mail.
I agree...

Quick Reply: Why are Supras still winning?