Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are Supras still winning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2003, 08:07 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Why are Supras still winning?

What is allowing people with Supras to run 30lbs. of boost and make 700-900RWP? And it's relatively common. What makes their engines different? Has anyone ever tried this on an LS1 for an easy 1000+ horse?
Old 06-01-2003, 08:34 PM
TECH Veteran

Default Re: Why are Supras still winning?

I think their internals come stronger than ours from the factory. Also, it seems that most Supras have A LOT of money in them.

Chris
Old 06-01-2003, 08:45 PM
12 Second Club

They have a very strong block, and internals right out of the box.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Why are Supras still winning?
You have to take that question into perspective. The majority of street supras are NOT running anywhere NEAR that kind of power. In the grand scheme of things, a heads/cam/nitrous or heads/cam/SC LS1 car will put the smack down on most street supras.
Now, for the few that are indeed screaming fast, well, as was already said their motors came from the factory built for boost. On the other hand the LS1 is not built for boost. You can build it to handle boost, but its not built for boost.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:11 AM
TECH Regular

I understand that they are built much stronger from the factory and designed for boost. But even when guys build there Ls1 for boost, is there a reason were not seeing anyone do 25 or 30lbs? Or is it just that it hasn't been tried yet? Just curious about this, not trying to put down our cars or anything.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:34 AM
TECH Regular

What is allowing people with Supras to run 30lbs. of boost and make 700-900RWP? And it's relatively common. What makes their engines different? Has anyone ever tried this on an LS1 for an easy 1000+ horse?
Dynos don't win races. MOST of those $80k Supras you see hitting 1000+hp are running 10's, and usually with nitrous (see: www.suprastore.com )... LS1's with HALF the horse power have been running 9-10's NA. Also remember that the MKIV Supra has been around since 1993.5, the LS1 has only been around since 1997. That does give them a head start, and one they have not done very good with compared to the LS1.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:45 AM
Teching In

Those damn things come with race engines from Toyota..seriously. Those blocks are just ridiculous. You don't have to do a thing to them in order to run 30 PSI and spin them to 8500 rpm. I know a guy that just bolted on a huge single turbo and the supporting bolt-on parts and ran 142 mph in the 1/4 (10.4? ET). It makes you wonder why Toyota went that far..did it really need to overbuild that engine to that degree? It's a great deal for the racer that wants to mod the car, but a sour deal for Toyota, in my opinion. Toyota could have saved some money and passed it on to its shareholders.

It would take a lot of work to build an LS1 to handle the kind of boost that Supra blocks see. But Supras are definately a cut above the other turbo Japanese cars.
Old 06-02-2003, 05:52 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ya i personally know a 850rwhp supra that the fastest time ran on it is only a low 11, come on dyno queen if a fbody had that much power it would run low nines.

all there power dont mean anything 800supra horsepower = 500 fbody horsepower.
Old 06-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Staging Lane

What is the differnce between between a 400, 500 and 600rwhp Supra?

Nothing!!!! They all run 12's :p

Flame suit on, but one of my very great friends owns a Supra TT, before the SC, he would , but now it's another story
Old 06-02-2003, 08:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

boost psi doesnt mean a thing, just a measure of intake backpressure, for instance i've seen a peak of 22.5 psi on my car but im sure its lucky to be near 600rw right now because of my heads/compression

after that forget hp, look at the tq... they have years and years of a head start on us and we are nearly the same in that dept. allready and thats what matters.
Old 06-02-2003, 08:53 AM
TECH Addict

Yep, the supras will see a higher manifold pressure for a given CFM because they are a smaller displacement motor. A built LS1 at the same CFM should make the same/more horesepower at a lower manifold pressure. You probably aren't going to see the high boost numbers in f-bodies like you do in supras simply because of the tremendous amount of power (and thus required supporting parts) that said boost level would indicate.

The supra motors are very well engineered, no question. Toyota was originally slotting the supra as a 80-100k supercar, a sort of budget ferrari, but for whatever reason determined that wasn't a viable position. The car/motor was engineered for that price point. The ended up backing it down to the 40k range, and "detuning" the motor a bit (mainly lower boost).

Old 06-02-2003, 12:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

we have nothing but slow supras around the chicagoland area...maybe you guys should come out this way and show us a thing or two?
Old 06-02-2003, 12:19 PM
TECH Junkie

LOL, whats funny about Supras, yeah they are pretty quick on the Highway in there Boost range, but from a dig, most of them are pigs. they may have 600-1000hp, but still run low 11's or high 10's for that amount of HP, i'd be

(Now there are alot of Supra here in the Houston and Austin area that Roll on the Highway)

but 1/4 from a dig is another story.
Old 06-02-2003, 03:10 PM
Teching In

I was going to try to address many people individual but I figured it will take to long so here goes nothing.

I'll start withthe dyno queen issue. Supras are RWD, IRS, Turbo cars. Try launching one and you will see why so many people ET like crap with ridiculous HP amounts. The combination of those three things makes Supras extremely hard to launch. Its not rocket science SUPRAS HAVE THE POWER they just have a issue at times putting it down to the ground. ie...they have poor 60ft times. I personally would not have a 800rwhp + car and not take the time to get it to hook up. Some high HP guys try to launch them by just slipping the clutch and on DRs and learn the hard way with a 800rwhp car and a 12sec slip at 140ish. I will not do that. I am going to do some things to tighten up the rear, get some slicks, and a 2step to build boost. I'm about tired of all the stories about how Supras are slow for the HP they make. LOOK AT THE FREAKIN' MPH! Anyone that knows anything about drag racing knows that the MPH tells the tale of how FAST the car is the ET is more about how QUICK a car is.

Contrary to what some may think it does NOT cost an arm and a leg to make a Supra fast. I put out 100rwhp OVER stock with $650 in mods. It DOES not cost $80k as someone stated to make 800rwhp. Its quite a bit less then that. If you want exact numbers I can post them you might be surprised.

As has already been stated Supra's bottom ends are quite stout. One of my board members put down 900rwhp on a BONE STOCK bottom end. Oh yeah I should mention that the car had 170K+ miles on it. I can't wait to see it make its first pass at the track. Sorry if I come off harsh I am just not used to thickheaded people that only see things in their own bias way. Its sad you have LS1 owners that think LS1 are God's motor but at the same time you have 2JZ owners that think the same. OPEN YOUR EYES they are both great motors. Ok, I think I've said enough
Old 06-02-2003, 03:22 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,156 Likes on 752 Posts

A 346ci V8 does not need the same amount of boost as a 3.0 liter I6 (is that what a Supra is?).
Old 06-02-2003, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

I was going to try to address many people individual but I figured it will take to long so here goes nothing.

Sorry if I come off harsh I am just not used to thickheaded people that only see things in their own bias way. Its sad you have LS1 owners that think LS1 are God's motor but at the same time you have 2JZ owners that think the same. OPEN YOUR EYES they are both great motors. Ok, I think I've said enough
OK, who let the rice in??? :p

With that said, guess who was my great friend.

Now if you want a laugh, the local ricers call him a sellout cause he hangs out with us Fbod/stang guys. He is the Admin on our local car board, which is about 95% Fbod/stangs. We have a import board but it's like Romper Room.

So if you guys really want to know about a MKIV Supra here is a guy to ask and he won't you. The 2JZ was designed from the start to have high compression/boost(I think it started out as a diesel engine) so it has the head bolts to hold the head down vice our 4 per/cyl, and if anyone has ever worked on a Toyota from the 90's you know it was over done from the factory. Can't say that about their boring cars now.

Don't forget Dyno queen cars turn up the boost, run race gas, use more ice than an all night frat party, so what they do on the dyno is not what they can do everyday on the street.

Old 06-02-2003, 05:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We welcome all food groups here, starches included. But be prepared to be occasionally fried with an extra hot iron skillet because not everyone on this board likes Uncle Ben's.
Unfortunately your post is a little long and I'm tired. But I promise I'll read it and respond later today.
I'm taking a nap. Its been a long day. Damn network.
Old 06-02-2003, 06:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I know I will never buy a Supra, Mustang, or a Lightning, just because it is not a Chevrolet. I am very brand loyal, as well as many of ya'll are.
Now that being said. If the these cars and trucks had a bowtie on the front of them, I would own all three in a split second. I love to hate all of these cars and many more but, I respect them. Whatever floats your boat.
Besides who wants a slow Lightning? :p
Old 06-02-2003, 06:23 PM
TECH Resident

One point, and that's all I'll say . . . it doesn't cost $80K to get a fast Supra, but what's it cost to get a STOCK Supra?? Still more money than I have in my car I'm sure . . .

Don't get me wrong, I'd own one in an instant, even though I am Chevy loyal, I know a good car when I see one.

- Dug
Old 06-02-2003, 06:39 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The Supra guys in my area are cool. They hang out with us as well. They are not considered rice. If I could afford one I would have one myself. Along with my SS of course..

Quick Reply: Why are Supras still winning?