Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Why are Supras still winning?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2003, 09:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Why are Supras still winning?

Last I checked, the Vette is an IRS and I have seen plenty run 9s. In fact I think Lingenfelter's 427cid Twin Turbo ran a 8.95 @ 154mph on ET street with a 735RWHP and 760 lbs of torque. So don't sell me that a Supra has that kind of traction problem with drag radials. Get some better tires. Besides, 30psi of boost is trying to shove 400* F of hot air into an intercooler that only take half that and crams it into a high compression motor that is almost half of a stock LS1. Do the math. Hell, you sport compact guys need to use two power adders to cool the boost charge and spool up the big *** turbo to try to make that 30psi. I have never been a fan of sport compact cars. If you have less than 8 cylinders or less than 4.6L, DON"T WASTE MY TIME.
Old 06-08-2003, 12:02 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I pointed this tread out to 94SupraTT and asked him to come over and give out some good info on his car vice asking him and giving info out second hand.

But I see a few either have gotten spanked by a Supra (been there had that done to me by 94SupraTT) or have no clue/respect for any other kind of car (not the owners) than they drive, then again some people still think the earth is flat. I have owned a '90 vette that ran mid 12's, '93 5.0 Tbird, '92 MR2 Turbo that I installed T3/T4 turbo controlled by a F.A.S.T system (270 rwhp), '90 RX7 Turbo and currently own a 00 Impreza 2.5RS (great in the snow/rain) and '99 Formula. Each of those cars could do one or more thing(s) very well, but lacked where another out performed it. I have to say that the Supra does most things well. Go into a turn driving a Fbody chasing a Supra, when you come out, hope you have enough to chase him down. The 1/4 is great, but lets be honest, if you rolled up on a Supra on the interstate 99% of us would jump if Supra started it. Most of our cars are driven on the street and from a roll the Supra is hard to beat. Having watched 94SupraTT walk away from a Viper GTS on the interstate is not something most LS1's can do without a few $$$ invested. And 94 is still running stock turbos.

As for running 30lbs of boost on a LS1, I think is the look you would have if you try it. It was not designed with boost in the spec's, the 2JZ was designed from the start as a boosted engine that is why they will always run more boost than we will ever be able to dream about. If all things were equal and both engines were designed for boost the larger displacement LS1 should make more power.

I am sure some will not agree with my comments, but then again you are worried about sailing off the edge of the world and sea monsters. Don't be scared the world is round and there are no sea monsters and other cars should be given the credit due.
Old 06-08-2003, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Hell, you sport compact guys need to use two power adders to cool the boost charge and spool up the big *** turbo to try to make that 30psi. I have never been a fan of sport compact cars. If you have less than 8 cylinders or less than 4.6L, DON"T WASTE MY TIME.
you're only in indy huh? how many supras you want me to bring out to race you? Oh i get it, you're not going to waste your time with something that can beat you....i get it.

Old 06-08-2003, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Last I checked, the Vette is an IRS and I have seen plenty run 9s. In fact I think Lingenfelter's 427cid Twin Turbo ran a 8.95 @ 154mph on ET street with a 735RWHP and 760 lbs of torque. So don't sell me that a Supra has that kind of traction problem with drag radials. Get some better tires.
Have you read the whole thread or do you have selective reading as well?

It was posted that their are supras ON DRAG RADIALS that are in the 8.60s. of the top 50 fastest supras in the country, the top 15 are ALL IN THE 9S with a lot of those in the mid 9s.
Old 06-08-2003, 06:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I pointed this thread out to 94SupraTT and asked him to come over and give out some good info on his car
Finally somebody confessed to starting this mess! 'Cause I know that guy didn't just stumble over here and EFA by himself to these EXACT threads. He was tipped off by an import lovin' tipster (or two). Confess and believe and get saved. But who's gonna save YOU when you get spanked by a loyal true-blue F-Body fan for your imprudence? Better crank the boost up on that ProCharger. No excuses. We'll smack the rice out of you yet. Seriously though, I'm just kidding.
Old 06-08-2003, 09:25 AM
Staging Lane

I pointed this thread out to 94SupraTT and asked him to come over and give out some good info on his car
Finally somebody confessed to starting this mess! 'Cause I know that guy didn't just stumble over here and EFA by himself to these EXACT threads. He was tipped off by an import lovin' tipster (or two). Confess and believe and get saved. But who's gonna save YOU when you get spanked by a loyal true-blue F-Body fan for your imprudence? Better crank the boost up on that ProCharger. No excuses. We'll smack the rice out of you yet. Seriously though, I'm just kidding.
Crunchie

I don't post on EFA, only read it when someone points out a thread of interest. But most of the Fbody members of our board here in Tidewater do, I just looked and one is even a Mod over there. You started a thread over there about this thread and got owned by everyone else on the board, Crunch gets owned by his fellow board members, which is very funny. OK, a few narrow minded people that FAIL to realize that the Fbody was IMPORTED from Canada, last time I looked that is a country, not northern state that talks funny and makes good beer. I guess in their minds a Viper is an import too, it's owned by MB. So what will the GTO be, it's a Holden which is Australian for CAR. An Accord from Marysville Ohio must confuse the crap out of them, then there is all of Madza, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Opal, and Saab to name a few, those are what??? Ford or GM own them.

The last party I held at my house I had 3 blown stangs, an 00 Sonoma with an LT1 6spd, 6 Fbody, 1 vette/911 and 1 Supra owner. As you see I don't care what car a person drives. I know who will save me if I need help.

Now be honest, you're just upset at Supras cause they can turn on the boost and run and run and run and run and run...., you on the other hand got greedy put that smaller pulley on and popped your engine No need to hate cause they run more boost and make more power. You know what, I bet you were running a Supra at MIR when it happen Guess your blower was making too much hot air, much like....

Now let me quote a line that I have seen once or twice to close with so it will look like it's not something that it really is
Seriously though, I'm just kidding.
I didn't point out this thread to start anything just to bring some knowledge about Supras to it. You won't see a Supra running 30psi on the street nor will you see a LS1 running that either. Just can't pull into any gas station to get what a car running 30psi needs.
Old 06-08-2003, 01:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would respond to these allegations, but seriously I've spent too much time this past week chasing these two threads (albeit that was fun as hell!!!!). It was even more fun reading your responses to my bullsh*t!!

Now, I gotta go jump on my Cisco routers if I wanna pass this stinkin' exam. Joke's over. Gotta go, later.......
Old 06-08-2003, 02:44 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You know, I could build my motor to handle 30psi of boost, but that is not streetable. Let me see a supra running on pump gas, no water-type intercooler, and not use nitrous with their turbo, and then I will be impressed.
Old 06-08-2003, 04:28 PM
On The Tree

Supra's SUCK F-bodys RULE.

END OF STORY

RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRICE
Old 06-08-2003, 07:44 PM
Staging Lane

Its amazing how people can be so judgemental, when they know nothing about the opposing cars. I worked at performance shop in Canada for a number of years, where we worked on imports as well as domestics. We have tuned civic's to 700hp, mr2's(500 on there stock blocks), supras (to 800 stock block). People have to understand that making 800hp out of a 2.0 liter or less is not that hard to achieve. Take for instance BMW's 1.5 liter, that made 1400hp, or pikes peak mr2 that made of 1100hp.

Toyota and Nissan have motors that domestics can only dream about. There head designs or far superior to ours. That is what enables them to make the amount of power they can on those little motors. Take for instance, we tuned a totally stock sr20de motor( nissan sentra) to 17 psi of boost on stock bottom end and made 354hp. If you do a comparison between ls1 rods and sr20 rods, you will be very surprised.

When we talk about supras making 30 psi of boost, you have to take in consideration that they come stock with 12-14psi psi. So they are actually boosting 16psi more that stock. 12-14 is there stock hp rating.

The US is basically the only country that is so dependent on straight line acceleration, where they totally forget about the other characteristics of ther cars. Meaning, in Europe, Japan, Austrailia they worry about handling as well as straight line speed.

There are tons of 4 cyl. that will hand your *** stock. STI's, EVO's, MR2's, SILVIA's, COSWORTH, etc. Most of these cars are sub 13.5's. Matter of fact, car and driver tv show today, just hit a 12.7 out of the STI and averaged 13.0 at 110.

If any of you live in Dallas are close to it. Talk to the famous Bob Norwood. He builds custom turbo kits for Ferrari's and other such exotic vechicles. We actually worked with him on his project mr2 back in 97. Where he set a land speed record of 200+mph on a stock tranny. He will tell you that toyota motors are probably the best motors ever built.

Old 06-08-2003, 10:28 PM
Teching In

Besides, 30psi of boost is trying to shove 400* F of hot air into an intercooler that only take half that and crams it into a high compression motor that is almost half of a stock LS1. Do the math. Hell, you sport compact guys need to use two power adders to cool the boost charge and spool up the big *** turbo to try to make that 30psi. I have never been a fan of sport compact cars. If you have less than 8 cylinders or less than 4.6L, DON"T WASTE MY TIME.
My god you are ignorant. Why even comment on this? You're just embarrassing yourself. A Supra is not a "sport compact" and it doesn't have a high compression engine. You could at least get the basics down. I'll bet Accords look like Murcielagos to you.

My hate clouds my ability to acquire knowledge...that's all you need to say.
Old 06-09-2003, 12:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

You know, I could build my motor to handle 30psi of boost, but that is not streetable.
according to who? YOU? Have you ever driven ANYTHING that puts out 30psi to compare with are you just ASSuming this?

Let me see a supra running on pump gas, no water-type intercooler, and not use nitrous with their turbo, and then I will be impressed.
Sure no problem, 1) that 9.80 car i talked about ran on pump gas 2) no supra i know of (at least locally that i can have race you) is using a air/water, all air/air. 3) no nitrous, no problem i still have supras that will hand you your *** on BOOST ALONE.

I bet you that you still dont take the trip out here to find out though

It is truly amazing how many people ASSume things they dont have a clue about. All i've been trying to do in this thread is educate and let people know that not ALL IMPORTS are turds but obviously its like talking to a brick wall
Old 06-09-2003, 01:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

[/b]
i still have supras that will hand you your *** on BOOST ALONE.
Jimmy, I think you have a delusion in your mind that you actually own all of these cars that are suppose to be god's gift to the world. You're going to bat for them more often than an attourney does for R.J. Reynolds. What gives? Do you own one of these high horsepower wonders? Or are you just posing for them. Maybe they're just too busy playing the PS2 inside the car right now to post on this forum. By the way, I will be working on something for the next year hopefully it will be finished by then, albeit not LS1 related.
Old 06-09-2003, 02:20 AM
TECH Apprentice

People have to understand that making 800hp out of a 2.0 liter or less is not that hard to achieve.
This is the attitude drives me nuts, and gives the import crowed such a bad image. If it's so damm easy, why aren't more of them doing it? Oh, I forgot, the cars you guys talk about are only in your dreams. I’m not saying that there are not 800hp Supras out there that could hand me my ***, but I know that they are the minority and not the majority. It’s just not that easy to build a 800hp small displacement car and keep it running. On the other hand, I know of some LPE 427 TT cars that can go across the country on a road trip and then consistently pull low 10s on street tires.

The US is basically the only country that is so dependent on straight line acceleration, where they totally forget about the other characteristics of ther cars. Meaning, in Europe, Japan, Austrailia they worry about handling as well as straight line speed.

Uh, Have you driven a z06 or seen one compete on a road course? A stock z06 can pretty much hand most supras their *** on a road course. Oh yea, that stock z06 can also blow most tuned supras away on a drag strip. And that same z06 can get over 30mph on the highway.

Toyota and Nissan have motors that domestics can only dream about. There head designs or far superior to ours. That is what enables them to make the amount of power they can on those little motors.
And just think how good that z06 would be if we could figure out how to design a decent head on those cars. I guess we will just have to keep dreaming.

Its amazing how people can be so judgemental, when they know nothing about the opposing cars.
Yes, those judgmental people drive me nuts. It's like they have tunnel vision and can only see one side of the equation. Perhaps they are tying to cover up some inferiority complex.

Old 06-09-2003, 01:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

[/b]
i still have supras that will hand you your *** on BOOST ALONE.
Jimmy, I think you have a delusion in your mind that you actually own all of these cars that are suppose to be god's gift to the world. You're going to bat for them more often than an attourney does for R.J. Reynolds. What gives? Do you own one of these high horsepower wonders? Or are you just posing for them. Maybe they're just too busy playing the PS2 inside the car right now to post on this forum. By the way, I will be working on something for the next year hopefully it will be finished by then, albeit not LS1 related.
LOL...funny guy aren't ya? nope, none of these cars are mine...i cant afford to build a supra. I do have a little ole TT 3rdgen you can play with if you'd like . But these cars are real and are all over the chicagoland area.
Old 06-09-2003, 03:01 PM
Teching In

Uh, Have you driven a z06 or seen one compete on a road course? A stock z06 can pretty much hand most supras their *** on a road course. Oh yea, that stock z06 can also blow most tuned supras away on a drag strip. And that same z06 can get over 30mph on the highway.

Its sad that this has turned into a flamefest I'm not sure if I agree with this statement. All the Supras I know of in this area are BPU AT LEAST. Most BPU Supras put out 400rwhp+. I dont' think I would have much trouble with a Z06. Unfortunately I have not run into one yet Ahh well. Regardless Z06s are GREAT cars.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jimmy, I have only run into a few around here. They are not too common. Two black one's and one silver one. The silver '94 was the only one that had *****. You see over here, the fast ones are so scarce that people would rather go over and gawk at the Monster Turbo Supra rather than the Lambo parked right next to it. In other areas like Chicago they may be quite plentiful indeed. But italian exotics are like a dime a dozen in my area compared to the Toyota; which goes to show ya how many there are in south-west MI.

However it sounds like you have a nice car yourself, maybe I will have to visit sometime. Have you ever made it up to US 131 Dragway (formerly known as Martin Dragway)? They have some pretty big shows, and the track was rated the best in the country when it was finished last year. You have any good strips in IL? I haven't been there in about 2 or 3 years.
Old 06-09-2003, 07:33 PM
Staging Lane

Hey QuickSilver. I'm not going to get in on a debate with you. It is obviuos, you have know clue what your talking about.

For one if you want to get technical with the mpg and efficiency, how much per liter does a z06 make compared to lets say a 1.8 liter integra typeR. 111 to what 74.5. So you would need to put put atleast another 200hp to even compete with the hp per liter equation.

Also can you tell me why Lingenfelter and Edlebrock have merged with major import companies? Is it becuase they see the potential in modifying 4 cyl? Doesn't there 4 cly run 8's? With over 800hp. 400 hp per liter. hmmmm. They don't seem to have any problems making it.

On another note, a 427cid turbocharged stroker put down only 745hp compared to some supras with the same 3.0 liter(stock displacement). How much is there twin turbo kit. 60,000 not including the car. PLEASE! Don't give me any BS on how its street legal and passes emmisions ****. I could build a supra 9 sec supra for a 1/10 of that.

Oh one more thing. You people keep bringing up how long supras have been out. How long have v8's been out? I remember back in 95 when people where saying that there were never going to be import's in the 12's becuase of physics. How quickly that changed hey! What are they in the 7's now, with some even in the 6's. What about all motor? Low 10's. How long has import racing been a hit, since the mid to early 90's. 10 freakin years compared to 50 and look how much they have accomplished. Give credit where credit is due and stop bitchin and whinin
Old 06-09-2003, 09:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Holy God, everybody shutup. LS1s are better. Supras are better. I got out run by a import.
I will answer the question. The guy with the most money and brains wins. ALWAYS. I have seen a one cylinder Jr. Dragster run through the 1/8 mile in 7.3 seconds. What is keeping TopFuelers from going faster? Rules. Nothing more. Give somebody enough money and time and they will make a friggin' Yugo go a 4.5 sec. 1/4 mile.
Give someone enough money and there will be a 1,500 horsepower LS1 motor. This goes for every motor out there.
Old 06-09-2003, 10:33 PM
On The Tree

Finally a sensible reply The man with the most cash and time on his hands always wins. I myself wrecked my camaro this weekend and will be looking to purchase a supra next (If the checkbook can handle it). The thing I admire the most is how loyal f-body owners are to there engine. Even though I'll soon have an import in the drive soon, a picture of my f-body will always hang over my bed
See you on the strip in about 8 months

Quick Reply: Why are Supras still winning?