Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

I think Las Vegas is one of the worst drag racing facilities in the US

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 AM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Default I think Las Vegas is one of the worst drag racing facilities in the US

We have an awesome track, but it's managed my mental midgets. They have just removed all street nights where they actually prep the track for the rest of the year. I now have no ability to run my car with a prepped race track. My only option is rice night and waiting 1-2 hours between passes while the 16yr old kids in their parents hondas do burnouts on street tires in the water box only to break at the starting line.

I'm kinda pissed off. I'm thinking about going in a new direction with my car now and not running at the track any more. I was in process of trying to get the safety gear in it so they don't yell at me, but I don't think I want to waste that kind of money now only to make the car less street friendly.

I have a street/strip car and no strip to race on. Guess I'll just have to work on the street part now. I'm thinking 4l80e, nice converter with lockup, 3.0 gears and nitto drag radials on 15-16" wheels.

That is unless there is some magical way to get my car to hook 1.5x 60's on a wet un prepped racetrack.

I'd have to wait until sometime around Feburary until I could run my car on a prepped track surface again and then it's going to cost $40 just to get in.

Last edited by Zombie; 09-21-2007 at 12:34 AM.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's kinda messed up.. Why are the doing that?? That seems kind of stupid that they would take away most of their earnings from guys that are loyal regulars...
Old 09-21-2007, 12:41 AM
ODB
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

try living on long island dude, they just turned down a proposed nascar and 1/4mile track to build a...get this..... artificial ski resort....yes thats right a man made snowy mountain on LI where you can go ski all season long.
we have to drive to jersey to get any track action
Old 09-21-2007, 12:55 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ODB
try living on long island dude, they just turned down a proposed nascar and 1/4mile track to build a...get this..... artificial ski resort....yes thats right a man made snowy mountain on LI where you can go ski all season long.
At least you guys have good street racing. Here in Vegas the only street racing happens "from a roll". The scene is completely dead. If i'm never going to be able to run my car at the track on a good surface i'm just going to setup the car to be a daily driver. That means canceling my cage install, changing out my trans, converter and gears so I can get better gas milage and just saying **** ever racing at the track again. For the last 2 years or so i've basically been the fastest car you'll find driving on the streets regularly. I just wasted $800 on 15" wheels, new tires, studs and lugnuts to finally get some traction at the track once or twice a month. I've already paid my friend $600 to cover the cost of steel and swingouts for my custom 10pt he was building for me, so I don't know WTF is going to happen with that. I'm just fed up at this point.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:57 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by ODB

that sucks-i thought drag racing or nascar would have a bigger following then jet-ski-

a bigger following in my book means it turns over more money also-

jetski-i think their is plenty of water else where-
Old 09-21-2007, 12:58 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Zombie
At least you guys have good street racing. Here in Vegas the only street racing happens "from a roll". The scene is completely dead. If i'm never going to be able to run my car at the track on a good surface i'm just going to setup the car to be a daily driver. That means canceling my cage install, changing out my trans, converter and gears so I can get better gas milage and just saying **** ever racing at the track again. For the last 2 years or so i've basically been the fastest car you'll find driving on the streets regularly. I just wasted $800 on 15" wheels, new tires, studs and lugnuts to finally get some traction at the track once or twice a month. I've already paid my friend $600 to cover the cost of steel and swingouts for my custom 10pt he was building for me, so I don't know WTF is going to happen with that. I'm just fed up at this point.

i know its not nice but how far is it to the next state or place with a 1/4 mile strip?
Old 09-21-2007, 01:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Come to Fontana bro... It's only a couple of hours and if you throw the 80e in then it won't be so bad on gas... Probably run some better times too.. =)
Old 09-21-2007, 02:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98turbls1
Come to Fontana bro... It's only a couple of hours and if you throw the 80e in then it won't be so bad on gas... Probably run some better times too.. =)
Driving to another state is not an option, it's too expensive to do that, it's just not worth it. I'm seriously considering dropping the $4500 it's going to take to get this car to a really nice street car setup. I can sell my kick *** rossler th400 and get a 4l80e instead. 3.25 gears to help the car move easier around town, 2600 rpms converter with lockup, put the sway bar back on the car, detroit locker vs the spool I have now. Should get 13-15mpg in the city.

Then just drive the car every day. It's a lot of money to do it, but i'd be driving the car more often.

Then I won't care about what it ET's at the track.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:24 AM
On The Tree

or you could take it to the track on crappy prep night and bet money with the "ricers" and make the money you need to make the best street car you are talking about. just because its an ugly win , spinning the tires through the 1/4 mile, its still a win!!!!
Old 09-21-2007, 02:25 AM
TECH Resident

Cool

Originally Posted by Zombie
Driving to another state is not an option, it's too expensive to do that, it's just not worth it. I'm seriously considering dropping the $4500 it's going to take to get this car to a really nice street car setup. I can sell my kick *** rossler th400 and get a 4l80e instead. 3.25 gears to help the car move easier around town, 2600 rpms converter with lockup, put the sway bar back on the car, detroit locker vs the spool I have now. Should get 13-15mpg in the city.

Then just drive the car every day. It's a lot of money to do it, but i'd be driving the car more often.

Then I won't care about what it ET's at the track.

fair point-
Old 09-21-2007, 10:07 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Drag racing is expensive and a pain in the ***, nothing wrong with having a nice quick street car. Not many nice tracks around here, I have to travel 225-350 miles just to make 1/4 miles passes. What I have in the car is nothing compared to the truck and trailer lol, but who wants to break something stupid 300 miles away, so you load the trailer up with extra everything and keeping it up is just like having another race car.

Then it costs around 1000,00 to do a three day event, 300.00 minimum just to go on a T&T night in nothing breaks. And I'm just a nothing little guy racer, **** is just crazy expensive these days. Local bracket stuff is cheap but gets boring fairly quick, why even bother building a fast car for that.

But most tracks these days just need car count and the ricers are part of it. If 100 race cars with slicks showed up they would prep the track, why bother when 50 fwd civics will tear the line up. Plus most of them cars are so slow they dont have to worry about tech or anyone hurting themself. Bristol here is a great track, but the only T&T they have is import day, their bracket program is 1/8 mile so thats a waste.

All in all it isnt easy, I dont blame anyone for not building a drag car, especially if its their only car. Thats why dyno racing has taken over quite a bit, no track BS and you dont have to beat up your nice car at some gravel pit dragstrip someplace. Same with just blasting around on the street with a 1000hp car, problem is getting caught blasting around
Old 09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Thats why I don't drag race, partially because of the time. But also because I DD mine and if it breaks then its going to affect me getting to work. I would say convert it to be more street friendly.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:28 PM

move to chicago, i have 4 1/4 mile tracks between an hour to two hours away.

great lakes, byron, us41 and rt 66.

im loading up in a bit to hit up great lakes
Old 09-21-2007, 12:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hate to tell you this, its like this EVERYWHERE. TNT nights are horrible for prep and the amount of noob and ricer infestation is frustrating. Try coming over here to Albuquerque where you have to battle the altitude(3800ft LOL), high temps and track operators who don't give a **** about prep and idiots racing their 4x4's, ricers and the occasional lowrider

Even on event nights, prep goes only past the 60ft marker, after that its all bare concrete.

Ricers are here to stay, no way around it. Do your best to support you local track because it isn't easy to keep those things open.

Just go out and make the best of it.

Keep it off the street, too many things at stake when you go out blasting around out there.
Old 09-21-2007, 12:46 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28

Lucky guys
Old 09-21-2007, 01:24 PM
12 Second Club

try osw, its horrible. i think the track is actually more slick that the street. on my stock car with the 315 nittosi couldnt spin out of the hole, let alone 1-2 shift, but at osw i would get sideways on the 1-2 shift and the best 60' i could muster on those dr's was a 2.0
Old 09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
Banned

Man that really sucks. I dont know what i would do if I lived anywhere without a good track! One great thing about living in the southwest burbs of Cleveland. I have:

Norwalk (or Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park) - 1/4 mle - 45 minutes away

Dragway 42 - 1/4 mile - 45 minutes away

Thompson Raceway park - 1/4 mile 1hr 15 mins away

National Trails - approx 2 hours away
Old 09-21-2007, 02:00 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Originally Posted by FANTAZ28

I lived and raced in Chicago my whole life. Its a great place to have a drag race car no doubt, even though the traffic sucks *** these days except going to Byron and rt 66 you are lucky to get a few passes in a night when its crowded.

Easy to get spoiled living there, but they have the population to support four decent dragstrips.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:14 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Zombie you can also try organizing private track rentals and you can have the track prep the way you want. In the past I coordinated some track rentals and would get as many as 75 cars out.
Old 09-21-2007, 02:16 PM
kp
8 Second Club

I wouldnt want to know what its costs to rent that track for a day, its a huge top of the line NHRA facility.