Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Superchargers for dummies

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2007, 06:04 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A supercharger is like a stripper. You just want to give it more money and power-rail lines off coke its ***.
Old 10-12-2007, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBenz
EPP has the best package hands down. Also your bottem end will be ok if you stay under 500rwhp. Do the D1sc with long tube headers And fuel stuff. You will be under 500rwhp. Make sure you get the biggst supercharger pully. i think its 4.75 inch. You wil pull aroun 7-8 lbs of boost and be perfect. With a D1sc its east to blow your motor because people get power hungry. And all you need to do to get 100hp is put a 3.00 inch pully on. Dont Do a cam dont do anything besides long tubes and the procharger kit(D1sc).. And make sure you get a good tune on a dyno before you drive it hard at all!!!
I like were my car is at right now. With a Ls6 intake and a FMIC(frount mount intercooler) Ill be right at 500rwhp. Just make sure you stay at 6-8 lbs of boost no mater what anyone says. Your gonna see post like. "600rwhp on stock bottom end!!!"
You can do it, i can do it, but dont untill your ready.
Well i just got my D1sc on monday but really dont know much about superchargers. Why is a cam a bad idea? my car is for the most part stock all i have is JBA short headers and a magnaflow exhaust and from what i know is that you should not run this on a stock fuil pump/injectors. is this all you really need for the D1? and tune
Old 10-12-2007, 11:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 98BlkFormula
Well i just got my D1sc on monday but really dont know much about superchargers. Why is a cam a bad idea? my car is for the most part stock all i have is JBA short headers and a magnaflow exhaust and from what i know is that you should not run this on a stock fuil pump/injectors. is this all you really need for the D1? and tune

Cam and headers alone is good for around 400rwhp. Your motor will only handle about 480-500rwhp. 490 is the max i would take it. With your D1sc powers not a problem. You make power very easy. You see my numbers. I can make well over 500rwhp with a cam and a 4inch pully. I dont want that kind of power because i dont want to blow my car up untill i am ready to buy a nice 347 or 402. Besides your drivetrain cant handle 500rwhp-clutch rearend, tires. Your going to need to upgrade alot of stuff to handle 500rwhp, If you dont so it right you will be working on your car alot. Your going to see alot of people with crazy dyno numbers, dont worry about them. Your D1sc can make about 800rwhp(with the right motor and stuff) I see people claiming 500+rwhp with 8lbs of boost and A stock car. You have to understand that all dynos very.... One dyno wil show huge numbers. The other wont. There are lots of shop owners out there that "Hype" their dyno number to get work. Dont worry about anything besides your motor and your money. If you keep it under 500rwhp your motor will last alot longer. A cam will put you over 500rwhp. Even a small one. LS1s love cams.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:56 AM
On The Tree

Cam and headers alone is good for around 400rwhp. Your motor will only handle about 480-500rwhp. 490 is the max i would take it. With your D1sc powers not a problem. You make power very easy. You see my numbers. I can make well over 500rwhp with a cam and a 4inch pully. I dont want that kind of power because i dont want to blow my car up untill i am ready to buy a nice 347 or 402. Besides your drivetrain cant handle 500rwhp-clutch rearend, tires. Your going to need to upgrade alot of stuff to handle 500rwhp, If you dont so it right you will be working on your car alot. Your going to see alot of people with crazy dyno numbers, dont worry about them. Your D1sc can make about 800rwhp(with the right motor and stuff) I see people claiming 500+rwhp with 8lbs of boost and A stock car. You have to understand that all dynos very.... One dyno wil show huge numbers. The other wont. There are lots of shop owners out there that "Hype" their dyno number to get work. Dont worry about anything besides your motor and your money. If you keep it under 500rwhp your motor will last alot longer. A cam will put you over 500rwhp. Even a small one. LS1s love cams.
So your making 460rwhp with the D1sc? So i should be expecting the same #s on my car this is what i got

Upgraded to Steel J Bracket
Upgraded to SDCE 8 Rib Spring Tensioner with 4.0 pulley
Upgraded stock harmonic balancer to ATI Superdampner
Stock ATI 3.5" twin intercoolers
Old 10-13-2007, 02:03 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i have massive belt slip problems and i have a 4.75 pulley. You will be close to 480-510 depending on the dyno its on. Air temps matter. lots of factors. I also have mine stop at 5600 rpm. Basicly you will be 460 or above. Just keep in mind that a new forged motor will cost about 4 grand. and you have to put it in lmao. I keep my numbers low because i want to drive it for a few years b4 i get a new motor.

btw you have almost exactly the same set up i have. only other motor mod i have it pacesetter long tubes which are great headers.

* i have belt slip issuses because i have a bad pulley has nothing to do with SDCE*
Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM
Launching!

You will find that the stock clutch is not going to last long if you run it much,not to mention the stock 10 bolt rear.But it all depends on how you drive it.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My clutch is smoked. It burnt out 4th gear on the dyno lmao.the stock. clutches are bad.
Old 10-13-2007, 01:59 PM
On The Tree

yeah i have read about the clutches with superchargers. that would be my next question. stage2 or stage 3 clutch maybe?

pacesetters are pretty good headers? i just notice how cheap they are. ive never given them much thought because they are so much cheaper than other brands, so i just naturally think they might have poor workmanship or something.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redchevcam
yeah i have read about the clutches with superchargers. that would be my next question. stage2 or stage 3 clutch maybe?

pacesetters are pretty good headers? i just notice how cheap they are. ive never given them much thought because they are so much cheaper than other brands, so i just naturally think they might have poor workmanship or something.
I havent even looked into clutches yet. But the headers are great. easy install and havent had a problem with them. and they tuck up real nice lots of gournd clearance. The Y-pipe for them can be a pain but its a easy fix. It knocks on the bottom of the car. I fixed it with some heater hose. Ill have a muffler shop bend it down when im ready to do my exaust.
Old 10-13-2007, 08:30 PM
On The Tree

Well i have massive belt slip problems and i have a 4.75 pulley. You will be close to 480-510 depending on the dyno its on. Air temps matter. lots of factors. I also have mine stop at 5600 rpm. Basicly you will be 460 or above. Just keep in mind that a new forged motor will cost about 4 grand. and you have to put it in lmao. I keep my numbers low because i want to drive it for a few years b4 i get a new motor.

btw you have almost exactly the same set up i have. only other motor mod i have it pacesetter long tubes which are great headers.

* i have belt slip issuses because i have a bad pulley has nothing to do with SDCE*
Ok im confused are you saying that i will need a forged motor with this kit or is that if i want to do a cam also? I just plan on doing the D1 with stock cam and a stall. With my 4.00 pulley what kind of numbers should i be expecting. Also how much boost are you making? What boost shold i be making? And how much boost is good/safe on stock motor? There should really be a sticky on Supercharger FAQ!!
Old 10-13-2007, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

8 lbs is "safe" anything over that your gonna run into problems. With your kit and a 4.00 pulley and a good tun you will be right around 500hp. If you add a cam your going to be way over 500hp. With a d1sc you dont need a cam. boost is not your friend with a stock motor. I am trying to stay below 8 lbs of boost to stay "safe". You dont need a forged motor if you want to stay under 500rwhp or under 8lbs of boost.

I made 7.6 lbs of boost.
the bigger the crank pulley the more boost
the smaller the supercharger pulley the more boost.
you will be around 8lbs of boost.

Basicly i think with the right fuel a good tune, headers, and the 4.00 inch pulley you will be fine. Just becareful what else you add. I even stayed away from a ls6 intake because i think it will put me over my goal of staying under 500rwhp.
Old 10-13-2007, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

well ok, mine already has the ls6 intake. naturally. so adding headers, and the D1 would be just right at 500. but then you are saying ls1's dont like boost. now then would it be a better idea to just put a cam in it with some other mods? i know LS1s like cams. im trying to weigh this out
Old 10-14-2007, 12:08 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well ok, mine already has the ls6 intake. naturally. so adding headers, and the D1 would be just right at 500. but then you are saying ls1's dont like boost. now then would it be a better idea to just put a cam in it with some other mods? i know LS1s like cams. im trying to weigh this out

Im telling you guys how I did things and were i want to be. A supercharger is awesome.

A D1sc is good for way more horsepower the your stock block can handle. All im saying is watch out with a D1sc its not hard to jump from 7lb of boost to 13 lbs of boost. If you do headers Ls6intake and D1sc you will be fine al long as you keep it at or under 8lbs of boost. with a cam you make 400 if you lucky. its hard to not make 500 with a D1sc big difference. you will be ok with a D1sc if you keep it very mild.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:05 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ZL1Killa
don't go more than 42#ers unless you plan on having 800HP)

Why do you say this? I am the guy that bought 42s at the beginning then I had to step up to 60s. I should have went straight to 60s from the start.

To the OP: Go with 60s injectors from the start and be good for a long time.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ive looked at the EPP stuff, and its a little more pricey than say, WS6Store or some of the others. what does it include that they dont? sorry i read some of the item description but didnt have time to read the whole thing.

If you want to save thousands of dollars on the right parts then stick with Bob at EPP. Don't bother looking elsewhere. I put my life on that!
Old 10-14-2007, 12:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Urban Legend
If you want to save thousands of dollars on the right parts then stick with Bob at EPP. Don't bother looking elsewhere. I put my life on that!

100% right.
Old 10-14-2007, 05:37 PM
FormerVendor

ok so i have been talking to a couple people, and i really like the D1SC idea, but i am gettin alot of "the bottom end wont hold up" and "those are really noisy" when i have read alot that the D1 is actually pretty quiet. so whats the truth here?

also, what about magnachargers? anyone have any experiance there?
You might be very interested in reading some of these posts:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/797583-2000-magnacharged-camaro-ss.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/783269-02-magnacharged-camaro.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/dynamometer-results-comparisons/792472-lm-speed-magnusion-kit-02-ws6.html

Let me know if I can answer any questions for you,
Ed
Old 10-14-2007, 05:58 PM
9 Second Club

Received 64 Likes on 54 Posts

yeah, im not quite ready yet. im pretty confident this in the route im going to go. I dont want to dog the crap out of my car. im not power hungry (not this time around, i learned my lesson with my lt1) i just wanna know i have the power if i need it and make sure i can hold my own if challenged....you know? im not the type to take my car to the drag strip all the time. its kinda like carrying a concealed handgun, you dont always use it but its always there if you need it, you know? and yeah, this is an expensive endevor, but its also a little ways away before im ready to do it.

im basically saying i am not going to abuse it and im going to respect it. thats why im doing all this research way before i do it. so when the time comes i know what im looking for
you say that now untill you feel the pull of the boost
Old 10-14-2007, 07:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

i think i just got my belt slip problems figured out and man i love boost!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-14-2007, 08:31 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Dragframe
you say that now untill you feel the pull of the boost
yeah i know i say it now. lol and i know it can be tempting. like the devil in a red dress. the goal is to get there first. lol. hopefully by the time i put the charger on, i will have a second car, so i wont be driving the TA everywhere i go.

Quick Reply: Superchargers for dummies