Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

OK guys....I need the FI experts to help me out

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2007, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OK guys....I need the FI experts to help me out

So here's the run down....My car is a 98 Z28 M6. 80K miles. Mods are KOOKS LONGTUBES, CATTED Y, SLP catback, Lid, LS7 Clutch and LS2 flywheel with 2K on them. The car was dyno'd after the exhaust and made 337 RWHP after some tuning. Def feels healthy....Here are my ?'s

1- I really want to go the STS route...I just think a turbo'd LS1 is badass Will the long-tubes hurt my spooling and make me lose power. Anybody with hard proof?

2- If I go supercharged, what is the system you reccomend most?

3- If I buy a used Kit...what should I look out for. There deff seem to be some good deals in the FS forum. I saw, what seem'd to be a full STS kit for $3800. Actually considering buying it, but I am clueless when it comes to FI...I guess I'am a virgin in this aspect

Again , I'am deff leaning more towards STS...or even front mounted turbo. I know price plays a pretty big role there...correct? Benifits of each?

Any other info will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 10-15-2007, 06:26 PM
TECH Resident

search some more- or read the sticky of the cost of turbocharging-
Old 10-15-2007, 06:43 PM
Staging Lane

Yeah I know, I did alot of searching and read the sticky's...Just thought I'd ask my questions directly...All said and done, I'am hoping to be spending less than 7K. I do want it done right the 1st time though and I don't want to cheap out on any parts

Last edited by jared1993; 10-15-2007 at 06:53 PM.
Old 10-15-2007, 06:47 PM
TECH Addict

you have posted common questions; you don't need an expert, you just need to search.

IMO it takes more than 7K to "do it right"
Old 10-15-2007, 06:48 PM
Launching!

i'm gonna go out on a limb with common sense(and solid physics) holding it up

The headers will only help you make more power and spool earlier.....

Dont have hard proof...but the stock manifolds are more restrictive than the headers there for they reduce the available energy that is used to spool the turbos...also with them flowing better your power will only improve...
Old 10-15-2007, 06:52 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by EspaceF1Fan
i'm gonna go out on a limb with common sense(and solid physics) holding it up

The headers will only help you make more power and spool earlier.....

Dont have hard proof...but the stock manifolds are more restrictive than the headers there for they reduce the available energy that is used to spool the turbos...also with them flowing better your power will only improve...
I believe the argument that LT headers serve a different purpose as opposed to Turbo manifolds. Ported Stock manifolds have been doing the best with STS systems. The cast structure is also stronger and retains heat better than LT headers
Old 10-15-2007, 07:08 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by deviate42
you have posted common questions; you don't need an expert, you just need to search.

IMO it takes more than 7K to "do it right"
Yeah.....well compared to me, most guys in the FI section are experts Just want to make sure I go in the right direction and make the right decisions before I spend a bunch of money.
Old 10-15-2007, 07:37 PM
11 Second Club

If you're not running over 700whp, I'd pass on headers. The large collectors flow more, yes, but at a lower velocity and they dissipate heat like crazy. Two things turbos absolutely thrive on are velocity and heat.

I bought my STS kit used...but I would make sure that you do NOT buy sight unseen. There are too many moving parts to take a leap of faith on a turbo...especially a remote-mount.

If you want to make lots of power with a rear-mount, the standard STS kit will leave you wanting. Try to hold out for a system with a 67 or 76mm wheel...and get an intercooler. That's my input, for all $.02 worth.

-Ronnie
Old 10-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Staging Lane

As far as power...I'd love to be in the high 400's- low 500's ballpark. Pretty sure I could make that with 8lbs (from what I've heard) and do it safely on a stock internal LS1. I don't want any more than that though. It's a street car not a drag car and 500RWHP = BADASS street car

Speaking of stock internals...you think it's a good idea to change the cam and intake?

Oh and what about gears out back? Currently stock 3.42's
Old 10-16-2007, 09:01 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Again, common questions- do some searching... If you have a budget of $7k, you can get a badass procharger D1 kit from EPP and still have a little money left over to save for the rest of the parts that will soon break afterwards with your new found power. You will end up needing a driveshaft, 9" or 12-bolt, then eventually a forged shortblock.

So once you get your procharger (or whatever system you decide on), take it easy and don't go crazy on the boost. Everyone says 8# is borderline safe on the bottom end, but mine only took 6~7psi to make 489rwhp on my completely stock longblock. That was enough for me... at the time... Drive it nice until you can afford to start dipping into your pocket again for the upgraded driveline parts.
Old 10-16-2007, 12:49 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by jared1993
As far as power...I'd love to be in the high 400's- low 500's ballpark. Pretty sure I could make that with 8lbs (from what I've heard) and do it safely on a stock internal LS1. I don't want any more than that though. It's a street car not a drag car and 500RWHP = BADASS street car

Speaking of stock internals...you think it's a good idea to change the cam and intake?

Oh and what about gears out back? Currently stock 3.42's
Keep the gears, but as posted, strengthen the rear end.

As far as "safe" power on a stock shortblock, I dunno...mine came apart at 626rwhp...and came apart big time. 500whp should be relatively safe, but that came at 4psi for me. Smaller turbo would be better applied for you.

You can keep the stock cam, but you need new valvesprings. Intake should be OK. I was fine with a LS6, but I ditched the MAF. At 450-500whp, you should not be outflowing the stockers.
Old 10-16-2007, 02:01 PM
Launching!

$3800 for a used STS kit? They're like $3900 new. I've heard of a lot of people havin issues with the oil return line/system. Personally, I'm a fan of the ATI Procharger Tuner kit with twin intercoolers.
Old 10-16-2007, 04:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Again, common questions- do some searching... If you have a budget of $7k, you can get a badass procharger D1 kit from EPP and still have a little money left over to save for the rest of the parts that will soon break afterwards with your new found power. You will end up needing a driveshaft, 9" or 12-bolt, then eventually a forged shortblock.

So once you get your procharger (or whatever system you decide on), take it easy and don't go crazy on the boost. Everyone says 8# is borderline safe on the bottom end, but mine only took 6~7psi to make 489rwhp on my completely stock longblock. That was enough for me... at the time... Drive it nice until you can afford to start dipping into your pocket again for the upgraded driveline parts.

Thanks for the advice.... Does EEP have a website...If I call who should I ask for?

Originally Posted by CavPat
$3800 for a used STS kit? They're like $3900 new. I've heard of a lot of people havin issues with the oil return line/system. Personally, I'm a fan of the ATI Procharger Tuner kit with twin intercoolers.
Yeah I heard about that with the STS too....I would consider a procharger, But a sts f-bod is more unique to me.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by CavPat
The only issues with the return line for the oiling system are the connector to the filler neck cap...it's not designed for what it does, and ends up dripping oil on the intake. Just reroute the line. The pump is NOISY. Find a nice place to mount it and insulate the **** out of that area.

Remember, $3900 gets you a base kit. No intercooler, small turbo, no fuel upgrades, etc...that's where buying second-hand comes in good.

In retrospect, however, I would have bought new. I had some issues that are still being ironed out.
Old 10-17-2007, 08:59 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jared1993
Thanks for the advice.... Does EEP have a website...If I call who should I ask for?
Call Bob there. Their website is www.exoticperformanceplus.com You can see the bottom dollar procharger will allow them to advertise publicly on their website, but if you call Bob, he can make you a better deal over the phone most the time. Ask Bob what he thinks of STS too when you call He has had some experience with their kits...
Old 10-17-2007, 11:28 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EPP for a DS1C package. With the DS1C you can keep the headers. With an STS youd be better off running 01+ ls6 manifolds. I vote for DS1C, and 7K will work as long as you dont blow anything up. Good luck though and keep us updated with what you choose!