Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

big power with e85 and no intercooler?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2007, 06:42 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can make good power on a dyno but it will have serious heat on the street or track.An intercooler will probly net 200-400rwhp more by cutting the heat out.
Old 12-17-2007, 07:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by Slowhawk
You can make good power on a dyno but it will have serious heat on the street or track.An intercooler will probly net 200-400rwhp more by cutting the heat out.
gee's thats a lot of hp if the cooler was put on-

u sure it could see a gain of 200-400 rwhp- if a intercooler was added-i thought maybe 50-100 hp
Old 12-17-2007, 09:41 PM
On The Tree

As the C5 guy mention, water injection will be your friend. Coolingmist and Devil's Own are just a few that I know others have used in turbo applications. I know Devil's Own has a website and also fabs direct port setups which may yield better results. Good luck
Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Braunbeck
As the C5 guy mention, water injection will be your friend. Coolingmist and Devil's Own are just a few that I know others have used in turbo applications. I know Devil's Own has a website and also fabs direct port setups which may yield better results. Good luck
That is the main problem, heat is the enemy! Other that water there's not a lot of options. The only other one i know of ( that wont be real popular on this forum ) is a blow threw carb. There were three guys in the contest ( two blower cars and one twin turbo) running no coolers and there IAT's down near ambient on the dyno. The problem with blow threw carbs is there only good at the track or the dyno, no part throttle or they will lean out. Still very cool to see and a good option for race cars. Im not planning on running an cooler and should have the car back together in the early spring i'll be sure to post how it works out.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
ps- are people in other countrys going to start calling american cars "corn burners"?
HAHA im from the UK and we dont think you guys are corn burners. to be honnest we take the **** out of everyone, and ourselves, so dont listen to a english guys having a go..he will just be jealous that we have to pay £1.05 (about $2.10) per ltr!!! and thats just for 91octane rubbish. lol

tuning guys over here want E85 to come mainstream. we dont have to pay the same 65% tax like we do on gas!

thanks Chris.
Old 12-18-2007, 01:57 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Braunbeck
the Subaru WRC (world rally car) uses direct port water injection. very fancy but said to be better than just spraying in the intake. i guess it so you can actually supply each cylinder with the corect amount of water to stop dept. not too much as you will lose power but just enough. and people forget that water isn't to cool the intakes but to slow the flame down in the cylinder thus stopping dept.

Chris.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:11 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Originally Posted by njc.corp
gee's thats a lot of hp if the cooler was put on-

u sure it could see a gain of 200-400 rwhp- if a intercooler was added-i thought maybe 50-100 hp
We are talking 1000rwhp unintercooled ,not the normal 400-500rwhp which the increase would be less. Also running on a dyno is alot different than the strip.
Old 12-18-2007, 04:22 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by t-1
no pressure drop from the intercooler. less wieght. less pipes to blow. no cutting of the car, and complete stealth. wow i might just can the cold side of my project.
Pressure drop? Try taking the boost reference off of the manifold. Weight? Try 30ish pounds on a 1000 hp car....BFD (not to mention the HP increase will negate more than the weight). Pipes to blow? Buy good silicone and T-clamps. Cutting of the car....its behind the front fascia/bumper.....BFD. Stealth? Paint the intercooler black.

Anything else?

Spend $200 and intercool it. I seriously don't get the point Parish. You have way too much knowledge not to.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:04 AM
single digit dreamer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Spend $200 and intercool it. I seriously don't get the point Parish. You have way too much knowledge not to.
no, i may not. i try to keep an open mind.

as it sits now e85 and no intercooler doesnt look like the best way to go. from what i am reading it looks like e85 is a good replacement for race fuel but not an intercooler.

i know for a fact meth and no intercooler is good for CRAZY horse power. looks like the two options for us right now would be intercooled with e85 or non intercooled with meth as our main fuel. i have always wanted to try a duel fuel set up(gas/meth) with no intercooler but if we can fit intercooler/s on the car we might just go with that.
Old 12-18-2007, 06:15 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bigstuff3 you can use 16 160lb injectors.

I have seen Grant McCrary's car and he is running 16 injectors, Twin 91MM turbo's, No intercooler, No Radaitor. He is a outlaw 10.5 guy. Damn fuel feed is bigger then a garden hose
Old 12-18-2007, 08:33 AM
TECH Junkie

I see some different thoughts on this subject, all very interesting.
My thoughts of using methanol have run towards engines above 1800hp, so the intercooler system required is expensive and hard to package. It also adds serious weight to the car and flow restriction. This will not be a common system I don't think, but it will be a lightweight functional system when its all worked out. I have run 2700hp on our dyno with no intercooler, and the engine went on to run a best of 6.17@244 so far without issue. Makes me ponder a nice light dual fuel street car..........hmmmmmm

Kurt
Old 12-18-2007, 09:36 AM
t-1
11 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
Pressure drop? Try taking the boost reference off of the manifold. Weight? Try 30ish pounds on a 1000 hp car....BFD (not to mention the HP increase will negate more than the weight). Pipes to blow? Buy good silicone and T-clamps. Cutting of the car....its behind the front fascia/bumper.....BFD. Stealth? Paint the intercooler black.

Anything else?

painting it black is not a good idea, less cooling effect. i already have the fmic so im gonna stick with it. its an interesting thought still. pressure from one side of the intercooler to the next and typically they are a minor restriction. i have seen plenty of people blow intercooler pipes with t clamps and good silicone. every lbs hurts in more than just et. im a six speed cat and would like to try and keep it together. im stick with the intercooler though. straight meth drag and i would not but as hard as i drive my **** ill keep one
Old 12-18-2007, 09:55 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by t-1
painting it black is not a good idea, less cooling effect. i already have the fmic so im gonna stick with it. its an interesting thought still. pressure from one side of the intercooler to the next and typically they are a minor restriction. i have seen plenty of people blow intercooler pipes with t clamps and good silicone. every lbs hurts in more than just et. im a six speed cat and would like to try and keep it together. im stick with the intercooler though. straight meth drag and i would not but as hard as i drive my **** ill keep one
Spraying a light coat of black paint at the correct angle has no effect on IAT. My buddy with a high HP boosted integra tested before and after. It made the intercooler invisible unless you were right in front of it....staring at it.
Old 12-18-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by parish8
nice. that looks promising. 1200rwhp driving that belt... hmm.
Andy Wicks at Dynotune USA is a wealth of knowledge on the subject of corn power. I think he's behind the stock tuned PCM in MoreJuices car, and like he said, you can run flex fuel and switch to gas.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:14 AM
OWN3D BY MY PROF!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by camarols1
I believe it is about $2.80 in the Chicagoland area right now.
Wow, I wish we could get that stuff down here. That's cheaper than our normal 87 octane.
Old 12-19-2007, 12:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 427
My thoughts of using methanol have run towards engines above 1800hp, so the intercooler system required is expensive and hard to package. It also adds serious weight to the car and flow restriction. This will not be a common system I don't think, but it will be a lightweight functional system when its all worked out. I have run 2700hp on our dyno with no intercooler, and the engine went on to run a best of 6.17@244 so far without issue. Makes me ponder a nice light dual fuel street car..........hmmmmmm

Kurt
Hey Kurt, remeber I talked to you about the dual fuel.....Im still gonna do it, or Ill compromise an run e85 all the time. Ill be calling you for the staged bs3, since the season was over, I turned my attention to other things, like christmas, finishing my turbo busa etc, the bs3 is one of that last things Ill need for the car, so Ill be needing it around feb 1. The rest is looking good.

You can run safer in a street car with an intercooler, so thats what Ill do, but I definately see the advantages of no intercooler in race cars that dont need to make it home. Besides someday maybe e85 will be allowed at the pump gas drags.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:05 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by 427

Kurt
time to design and build a 'complete fuel system' where you can spec what two fuels you are running. main fuel say 91 octane and then c16,meth,e85,vp import, etc for the second. then if you could build an ECU that could swap maps for the second fuel it would be even better!

also would you have to as 'on demand' fueling?? so until you went WOT at higher boost setting then the 91 octane would be used?? i think a tank of good stuff could last alot longer then.

thanks Chirs.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Junkie

A ECU that would switch for secondary fuel would be cool! The Nova we have is 93 octane in the primary tank with c16 in the secondary tank. It runs 65% C16 at full throttle and 10 gallons of C16 will last over two weeks even with a trip to the dragstrip. I would like to switch that type of car to Methanol as the secondary fuel with higher percentage like 90% methanol at wot so I could dump the intercooler weight. The E85 testing I have done has been very little, but the intercooler effect was not as good as Methanol.

1320, I remember our conversation about dual fuels! Can't wait to see practical use to see how well it does.

Kurt
Originally Posted by chuntington101
time to design and build a 'complete fuel system' where you can spec what two fuels you are running. main fuel say 91 octane and then c16,meth,e85,vp import, etc for the second. then if you could build an ECU that could swap maps for the second fuel it would be even better!

also would you have to as 'on demand' fueling?? so until you went WOT at higher boost setting then the 91 octane would be used?? i think a tank of good stuff could last alot longer then.

thanks Chirs.
Old 12-19-2007, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Kurt, I ran across a tid bit about the bs3. You choose your fuel in setup? And that changes the ve table?So You have to choose gas even if you split fuel types, then would have to convert the gas ve table numbers yourself for meth? Was this good true info, why , or how does ve table change on set up based on fuel type?

O n another note, what about e85 on the primary and meth on the secondary? Do you use the alchohol choice in set up for e85?
Old 12-19-2007, 09:28 AM
Staging Lane

We did 1054 uncorrected rwhp here in Colorado this past year on e-85. Engine is a ford 381, out of the box AFR225's with a 88mm turbo. We did use an Ebay A/A intercooler behind the bumper with absolutely no air flow. We used a classic FAST with one set of injectors, we also used a Snow meth kit, because we were running out of injector. First trip to the track netted an 8.54 @ 160mph, too much gear. Second trip to the track netted 8.58 @ 168mph, e-85, a/a, meth injection, 3050 pound car. Next year the intercooler is coming off, no need to carry the extra weight, plus we get a weight break in the class we run for not having an intercooler.

Quick Reply: big power with e85 and no intercooler?