Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2008, 04:57 PM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I got the aluminized steel.
Old 02-02-2008, 09:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am looking at intercoolers... can someone tell me the difference between this one that Chad has used and the one that EPP sells? They are the exact same dimensions but I dont see the difference exept one says godspeed on it. Im not ******* EPP's by any means because they are great guys and know their stuff!!!!! Just looking for knowledge.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is it holding up to driving? Hows the performance of it as in temps go? I live in Miami and it gets pretttty hot here and would love to do this to keep the front bumper looking all nice but i remember when you took your car for a spin your readings were taken in like 50* or 60* weather correct? Im trying to get an idea if mounting it like you would cause a problem with much more heat, lets say on 95* on Miami Beach this coming summer lol thanks in advance for any info you can share, its looking real good
Old 02-05-2008, 08:53 AM

It is still sitting in the garage. I have not had time to replace the head gasket yet. It was 82° here yesterday, so that would have been a good time to test it out, but its not fixed yet Don't worry, it will get plenty of testing this summer tho in 100°+ weather. I already bought another radiator too, but again- time is a big constraint for me right now, so its not installed either.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:19 PM
TECH Resident

ah crap, well good luck and hope you get around to doing it, ill keep watching for u to post up
Oh and the difference with the intercoolers is that the one from Epp comes with everything i believe for an Fbody but is kinda pricey. The company is great in every aspect like mentioned but some other pple and myself would honestly be just as happy spending hundreds less on one from Ebay (since i have to do all the pipes tailored to my specific application anyways so it works out). Ebay units are roughly the same size(s) and very reliable -ive seen more than 10 in front of me installed and are still working fine to this day. They just dont have a brand name on it sometimes, i dont know why people (ricers) would pay $700+ for a greddy/whatever intercooler, i always keep thinking, You know what i could do with the rest of those $600 after buying a nice one for $120 Lmao
Old 02-06-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fenix999
ah crap, well good luck and hope you get around to doing it, ill keep watching for u to post up
Oh and the difference with the intercoolers is that the one from Epp comes with everything i believe for an Fbody but is kinda pricey. The company is great in every aspect like mentioned but some other pple and myself would honestly be just as happy spending hundreds less on one from Ebay (since i have to do all the pipes tailored to my specific application anyways so it works out). Ebay units are roughly the same size(s) and very reliable -ive seen more than 10 in front of me installed and are still working fine to this day. They just dont have a brand name on it sometimes, i dont know why people (ricers) would pay $700+ for a greddy/whatever intercooler, i always keep thinking, You know what i could do with the rest of those $600 after buying a nice one for $120 Lmao
Budget racing FTW!
Old 02-06-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Resident

tell me about it, LOL i hear ya im in the same boat. The turbo god of delay is what comes to mind. he sucks bigtime lol
Old 02-15-2008, 05:10 PM

Just got the car put back together last night Hopefully I can get some more testing data next week. Supposed to be crappy weather this weekend, but hopefully the weather forecast for next week holds up and I can drive it again. I'll keep this thread updated on all the performance of the horizontal FMIC.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Just got the car put back together last night Hopefully I can get some more testing data next week. Supposed to be crappy weather this weekend, but hopefully the weather forecast for next week holds up and I can drive it again. I'll keep this thread updated on all the performance of the horizontal FMIC.
Please do. I'm getting ready to begin this same project on my 93 T/A.
Old 02-19-2008, 03:31 AM
TECH Resident

sweet!
Old 02-19-2008, 07:30 AM

Been driving it for a couple days now. It is very cold here (40-50°), so the results are similar to those I was getting before. Nothing really out of normal...
Old 02-22-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have you noticed any higher coolant temps from the intercooler being a bit of an interruption in the airflow pattern to the radiator?
Old 02-22-2008, 11:12 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Have you noticed any higher coolant temps from the intercooler being a bit of an interruption in the airflow pattern to the radiator?
If I understand the question correctly, you are asking if the radiator is running hotter because of the placement of the intercooler.
I must admit to being a bit confused on this one, since a true FMIC blocks the radiator even more. And the function of the thermostat is to control the temps, since the radiator is supposed to be very efficient.
I have looked at Cummins setups a lot, and their FMIC is directly in the front of everything.
JMHO.
Old 02-22-2008, 11:19 PM

Originally Posted by Fastbird93
Not at all. It has a very hard time getting above 185°. Of coarse, it is winter, so kind of hard to get it hot anyways...
Old 02-23-2008, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by koolaid_kid
If I understand the question correctly, you are asking if the radiator is running hotter because of the placement of the intercooler.
I must admit to being a bit confused on this one, since a true FMIC blocks the radiator even more. And the function of the thermostat is to control the temps, since the radiator is supposed to be very efficient.
I have looked at Cummins setups a lot, and their FMIC is directly in the front of everything.
JMHO.
My reason for asking teh question was directly due to the placement of the intercooler. The way I look at it, if it's placed directly in front of the radiator, but the nose of the car is cut out, then you're still getting similar if not more airflow through in an almost direct pattern. But.....in a stock configuration the air must be routed up to go through the radiator via the air dam. If you put an intercooler directly across that path, I can't imagine how it wouldn't have some sort of influence on how the air flows, greater than that if it was mounted directly in front of the radiator.
Old 02-23-2008, 04:54 PM

True, but also realize that I more than doubled the area that is opened up on the bottom to allow more air in. Stock opening is not even 5" and now there is 12"...
Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

blast from the past.......howed this work out?
Old 08-09-2008, 09:59 PM
Launching!

ahah old threadsss heres my setup... works pretty gooodd... whats most important is putting heat wrap on any pipe that crosses in front of the radiator, heat soak owns it

Old 08-10-2008, 02:33 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Interesting thread.
Old 08-10-2008, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by ZDOG
blast from the past.......howed this work out?
The IAT's are great, but it does still overheat when driving in 100°+ weather. But it did that before anyways. The fans on top of the IC don't seem to help the coolant temps at all either. I have a griffin radiator to put in, but I just havent got around to doing it- it needs a new filler neck welded on since the old one was damaged somehow. Ive had so much else going on with other stuff, and also had a fuel issue I had to chase down which resulted in me upgrading the lines and everything only to discover the pumps i had were bad. So the T/A has just been chillin in the garage for the past few months pretty much. It seems every time I solve one problem, 2 more pop up I'm frustrated with it right now, so it will probably stay on the backburner until I can gather enough motivation to tie up all the little loose ends.

Quick Reply: Horizontal FMIC project