Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Any References for Late Model Racecraft in Houston???

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-2007, 06:41 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Any References for Late Model Racecraft in Houston???

I'm looking for a shop to do my tuning & possibly some wrenching in the Houston area I have a 99 Corvette with A&A Corvette/Vortech supercharger setup making 668/592@ the wheels and I'm searching for a shop in Houston area that takes pride in their work, especially in the small details. I want my dyno printouts to have wideband AFR & boost graphed as well. I've heard from LME that LMR specializes in FI and they do excellent work, I'm looking for second opinions and any advice would be appreciated before I make any decisions
Old 12-25-2007, 07:06 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Josh and Steven are definately good guys to deal with Josh has been building these cars for a long time. I can't coment on there tuning as I am not sure who is doing it, but there cars have all been running good and seem to be holding up though. Josh is definately a good fabricator also. Two thumbs up from me Scotty!
Old 12-25-2007, 07:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

ask longrange4u(sp?) they built his rear mount CETA and he was extremely happy with their work. ive yet to hear anything bad about them.
Old 12-25-2007, 07:31 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Josh and Steven are definately good guys to deal with Josh has been building these cars for a long time. I can't coment on there tuning as I am not sure who is doing it, but there cars have all been running good and seem to be holding up though. Josh is definately a good fabricator also. Two thumbs up from me Scotty!
Thanks Jeff & Merry Christmas Bro!!!...They quoted me $650 for forced induction tuning, definetely higher than others I've spoken to...but if they are THAT good I will pay it...sounds like it's time to invest in some tuning software
Old 12-25-2007, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You get what you pay for in most cases. But I think steve has a turbo car that goes 8's in the 1/4 and its a turbo car. I have never heard anthing bad about them really cool people.! LmR ***!!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 08:13 PM
10 Second Club

650 sounds way high I don't care how good they are. Unless they spend all day tuning your car with part throttle getting the air fuel right/timing optimum for that and w.o.t tuning on the dyno and on the street with a datalogger and air fuel meter.
Old 12-25-2007, 09:02 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
Thanks Jeff & Merry Christmas Bro!!!...They quoted me $650 for forced induction tuning, definetely higher than others I've spoken to...but if they are THAT good I will pay it...sounds like it's time to invest in some tuning software
Yeah I got tired of paying people too so I have my own software now also on both cars its been slow going with my work schedule on learning, but I can't say that it is hard just takes time to figure everything out I am not there yet, but I am getting closer lol! Last I herd they were using the guy they call "Stupid", but I can't say for sure who is doing it. Might just ask them and see who they are using etc... Are you not happy with your MTI tune?? I don't think the retune is going to cost you a tone over there if you are happy with it your car has held up a long time and definately runs good.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:30 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah I got tired of paying people too so I have my own software now also on both cars its been slow going with my work schedule on learning, but I can't say that it is hard just takes time to figure everything out I am not there yet, but I am getting closer lol! Last I herd they were using the guy they call "Stupid", but I can't say for sure who is doing it. Might just ask them and see who they are using etc... Are you not happy with your MTI tune?? I don't think the retune is going to cost you a tone over there if you are happy with it your car has held up a long time and definately runs good.
I never had a problem with MTI's tunes, but after several trips back for mechanical re-work (resulting from low quality work from a mechanic I specifically told them I did not working on my car) and finding a bottle of after shave in my glovebox, my car will NEVER visit that shop again.......I never had a personal issue with the staff, just poor quality of work on MY CAR.....movin on to greener pastures
Old 12-25-2007, 10:41 PM
TECH Addict

If it is speed density tuning, I dont think $650 is high at all. I paid close to $1000 for my tuning. Eventhough the tuner spent a day of both mine and there time figuring there wideband was junk.
Old 12-25-2007, 10:43 PM
9 Second Club

I deff reccomend them... the are NOT the cheapest on the block... but again.. "you get what you pay for".

They have two different cars in that shop that are 7 second cars.... they just recaptured the "Fastest Stock Suspended" title a few weekends back... and they have done stellar work on my car so far. I have been real happy... Steve is an outstanding dude and josh can fab not only anything... but can do it beautiful on top!!

So I would give my reccomendation!!!
Old 12-25-2007, 10:48 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by NemesisC5
I never had a problem with MTI's tunes, but after several trips back for mechanical re-work (resulting from low quality work from a mechanic I specifically told them I did not working on my car) and finding a bottle of after shave in my glovebox, my car will NEVER visit that shop again.......I never had a personal issue with the staff, just poor quality of work on MY CAR.....movin on to greener pastures
Well I totally understand that is why I do 99% of my stuff myself, but with that said even if you have another shop do the actual work and then back to MTI for the retune it would save you a lot of money and you could be there for the retune etc... That way you can give him the I want it on the more aggressive side or I want it real safe side talk while he is working on it etc... I have found my HPtuners 3bar on my black car to be really easy to set up when I started from scratch this last time it only took me a about two days of reading and playing to get the car back to where is was when I purchased it and a total of about 4 hrs between the two days to give you an idea of the time it took, this rookie at best, to learn what to play with. Just shooting you some options that I am sure you have thought about already. I never left any of my cars there overnight so I didn't have to worry about other people driving it etc...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:13 PM
TECH Resident

Well I totally understand that is why I do 99% of my stuff myself, but with that said even if you have another shop do the actual work and then back to MTI for the retune it would save you a lot of money and you could be there for the retune etc... That way you can give him the I want it on the more aggressive side or I want it real safe side talk while he is working on it etc... I have found my HPtuners 3bar on my black car to be really easy to set up when I started from scratch this last time it only took me a about two days of reading and playing to get the car back to where is was when I purchased it and a total of about 4 hrs between the two days to give you an idea of the time it took, this rookie at best, to learn what to play with. Just shooting you some options that I am sure you have thought about already. I never left any of my cars there overnight so I didn't have to worry about other people driving it etc...
Me & MTI have divorced forever, Jayson knows his tuning but IMHO there are others that are more thorough especially with non WOT tuning. John Page at 21st CMC tuned my car last and did a great job...if he weren't 356 miles away that is where I would go again. He took the time to get everything right and the drivability & power was excellent. I'm upgrading to 8-rib pulley system with 8" balancer pulley, that is why I need the re-tune. I've stayed with same size head unit pulley (3.4") but increased from 7.5" t 8.0" CP so I think my tune will need a little massaging. Especially in this cool weather, I don't want to be any more risky than I already am!!!...
Old 12-25-2007, 11:23 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Ha Ha Ha! I hear you I guess your not ready to put a new bottom end in that car huh? Well in that case your guess is as good as mine. And I definatly would just question them about who's tuning as I don't have any questions about there craftmanship as I stated above Josh is really good and it doesn't sound like a huge job so the real question is who do you want to tune your car? Good luck! Let me know if you need anything Scotty.
Jeff
Old 12-26-2007, 09:32 AM
TECH Resident

Ha Ha Ha! I hear you I guess your not ready to put a new bottom end in that car huh? Well in that case your guess is as good as mine. And I definatly would just question them about who's tuning as I don't have any questions about there craftmanship as I stated above Josh is really good and it doesn't sound like a huge job so the real question is who do you want to tune your car? Good luck! Let me know if you need anything Scotty.
Jeff
I'm sure I will be calling you for Counseling soon
Old 12-26-2007, 08:58 PM
Banned

If you feel the shop 350 miles away does a stellar job definitely go back to them. I would go where ever you fell will do the best job for you. Saving a few hundred or driving a few hundred miles wouldn't be a option. I'msure Late Model can do it for you though. They can obviously make the power and your part throttle tune won't change with your pulley swap.
Old 12-27-2007, 12:33 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by b18c1hybrid
If you feel the shop 350 miles away does a stellar job definitely go back to them. I would go where ever you fell will do the best job for you. Saving a few hundred or driving a few hundred miles wouldn't be a option. I'msure Late Model can do it for you though. They can obviously make the power and your part throttle tune won't change with your pulley swap.
I would say this... I moved my car from the shop it was in to LMR... it is an additional 2hrs away from where I live, but worth every mile.

Josh is the lead Fab/Mechanic... When I call down there to check on my car we will sit and talk for 30-45mins. Not just BS... but he will in detail explain to me what has been done on my car... what the options are (to include any reccomendations if he has them) and what the implications of those options are.

My build was not cheap at all... I had them do alot of custom work because I wanted something unique. Steve is real good about communication and giving me detailed quotes and information about ANYTHING I want from my car... and over the last six months of this build, they are still within 10% of what they quoted me the first day.

That isnt bad at all... Thanks to Steve and Josh... I finally found a shop I trust completely. If it says anything... I have a 97 Viper GTS too, I will be taking that one to them as well... its still stock (but it wont be when I am done!!)...

LMR is DEF

Jared
Old 12-27-2007, 08:22 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by longrange4u
I would say this... I moved my car from the shop it was in to LMR... it is an additional 2hrs away from where I live, but worth every mile.

Josh is the lead Fab/Mechanic... When I call down there to check on my car we will sit and talk for 30-45mins. Not just BS... but he will in detail explain to me what has been done on my car... what the options are (to include any reccomendations if he has them) and what the implications of those options are.

My build was not cheap at all... I had them do alot of custom work because I wanted something unique. Steve is real good about communication and giving me detailed quotes and information about ANYTHING I want from my car... and over the last six months of this build, they are still within 10% of what they quoted me the first day.

That isnt bad at all... Thanks to Steve and Josh... I finally found a shop I trust completely. If it says anything... I have a 97 Viper GTS too, I will be taking that one to them as well... its still stock (but it wont be when I am done!!)...

LMR is DEF

Jared
Daaayyyuuumm!!...I Love To Hear Satisfied Customers...Thanks For The Input Everybody