Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Turbo on APS kit came apart today

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well looked over at the gto forum on this board and read a bit about the aps goats.They seem to be working fine with same mits turbos. Tony.aka nineball has been running his quite a bit. No problems mentioned. No mention of collapsing inlet tubes on the gto forum. They look a bit different though from the f body setup.
Old 01-10-2008, 12:39 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

looks like it was just a part failure...possibly not put together correctly. i dont see APS not doin anything...they've maintained really good customer service untill this point. they should step up and replace the unit no questions asked, upon inspection of the failed unit ofcourse.

subscribing!!
Old 01-10-2008, 01:12 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rick@HSW
looks like it was just a part failure...possibly not put together correctly. i dont see APS not doin anything...they've maintained really good customer service untill this point. they should step up and replace the unit no questions asked, upon inspection of the failed unit ofcourse.

subscribing!!

that is exactly what it was
I will know more when I actually get it off of the car
I just hope that it does not have problems with the intake pipe getting sucked together because I intend to run quite a bit more than 7.5 pounds of boost
in fact it will not make that low on my car
I had the E-Boost ll set to 0 which makes it run off of the wastegate alone and it is making about 11 to 12 pounds pretty easy
Old 01-10-2008, 01:25 PM
TECH Veteran

You can swap out springs in the tial gates to anything you want. They come stock with 7.5 psi did you swap in bigger springs or have aps do it?
You can always run more boost than the springs but you are correct you can't run less.Boost controllers really only let your raise boost past the gate springs.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Could there be an element of mechanical damage somehow that cause the cover to fail ? which then lead to the compressor wheel/shaft failure ?

The Mitsi TD0x range of turbos are almost bulletproof. Ive seen them used and used them myself on loads of Subarus etc, and never seen one fail yet, even when you wind the boost up like mad.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:37 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
You can swap out springs in the tial gates to anything you want. They come stock with 7.5 psi did you swap in bigger springs or have aps do it?
You can always run more boost than the springs but you are correct you can't run less.Boost controllers really only let your raise boost past the gate springs.
he'd mentioned in an earlier post i beleive that he hadnt changed anything on the wastegates...could there be an issue with the Eboost II not allowing it to lower the boost from 11psi??
Old 01-10-2008, 01:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Was going to buy eboost 2 also so would be good to know if that was the problem. The stock springs are 7.5 psi.But of course its simple enough to swap in different springs.Possibly a leak in a line or something to the gate might let it go higher also.
Old 01-10-2008, 01:58 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am just curious... when you found this damage, were heads of the bolts broken off in either the compressor or exhaust housings? (I mean the bolts that hold down the retainers.) If so, who installed the kit?

A few observations... I have popped a few charge air hoses on my Supra a few times and they don't look like your pics. Pic 1 and pic 2 showing the hole, it looks as if there was something that impacted the hose while under pressure, or there was a slice in the exterior and it weakened it possibly? It just looks weird.

Also, on an aside, in pic 3, is that a hose clamp holding on a rubber hose on the oil drain side of the cartridge? It looks like it makes an immediate 90degree turn? Wow. If so, thats a no-no bro.

Lastly, what did the turbine look like? Was it caked and covered with burnt oil? Any oil streaks on the inlet of the compressor? I am guessing no. The compressor exploding was due to the housing(s) seperating from the cartridge it looks like to me. Not the other way around. I have seen and relpaired several turbos that have compressors explode (Supra world, not GM) and not one has ever caused the housings to come apart.

Thanks.

Last edited by Goldfinger911; 01-10-2008 at 02:14 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:02 PM
Staging Lane

[QUOTE=Darren P;8460496] I must of asked the size question a hundred ways and was told every time that it was fine. [QUOTE]

Just butting back in to let you know that this is sig worthy.
Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM
Staging Lane

To the guy asking about numbers, look in my sig. Mods are listed, but mostly stock.
Old 01-10-2008, 03:26 PM
TECH Enthusiast

A couple of 20Gs would have to work pretty hard to supply a good flowing 400+ inch motor. I'm wondering if it was a combination of a balance problem exacerbated by extremely high shaft speed?
Old 01-10-2008, 03:45 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Tirefire
Dude, it sounds like your the one who manufactured this turbo.
G F Y

Old 01-10-2008, 03:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MY99TAWS6
it is the stock springs. I did not swap anything nor did APS to my knowledge

keep in mind I am running a 403 not a 346
I think I am over powering the wastgates
Old 01-10-2008, 04:00 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Rick@HSW
he'd mentioned in an earlier post i beleive that he hadnt changed anything on the wastegates...could there be an issue with the Eboost II not allowing it to lower the boost from 11psi??
no because I before I ran this kit I had a PTS kit on the car with a T67 and 7 pound spring
with the E-Boost set to 0 it would make 6.5 pounds at the intake

on the same setting it is making around 11.5 in 2nd gear now
however on the PTS kit I was useing a 6 speed and now have a 4L80e and it probally loads the engine faster and may be helping it make boost quicker that it did before
Old 01-10-2008, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Goldfinger911
I am just curious... when you found this damage, were heads of the bolts broken off in either the compressor or exhaust housings? (I mean the bolts that hold down the retainers.) If so, who installed the kit?
there are no retainers
I installed the kit myself

the exhaust housing has a V band clamp
the compresser housing has a internal snap ring and that is all
no bolts at all

A few observations... I have popped a few charge air hoses on my Supra a few times and they don't look like your pics. Pic 1 and pic 2 showing the hole, it looks as if there was something that impacted the hose while under pressure, or there was a slice in the exterior and it weakened it possibly? It just looks weird.
The hole was made when the compresser wheel came out through the discharge piping, it is in a straight line with the turbine, it was under pressure, it had 11.5 pounds of boost at the instant that it came apart.

Also, on an aside, in pic 3, is that a hose clamp holding on a rubber hose on the oil drain side of the cartridge? It looks like it makes an immediate 90degree turn? Wow. If so, thats a no-no bro.
It is the drain and it does make about a 80 degree bend and it is the way that the kit was designed

Lastly, what did the turbine look like? Was it caked and covered with burnt oil? Any oil streaks on the inlet of the compressor? I am guessing no. The compressor exploding was due to the housing(s) seperating from the cartridge it looks like to me. Not the other way around. I have seen and relpaired several turbos that have compressors explode (Supra world, not GM) and not one has ever caused the housings to come apart.

Thanks.
it is still on the car. When I take it off I will get photos up asap

the parts that are in my hand fell out when I pushed up on the compresser housing just a little
I think that the housing dropped down onto the spinning wheel and it went BOOM

Last edited by Darren P; 01-10-2008 at 09:33 PM.
Old 01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Ive had engines with 2 x90deg bends, 5/8" diam directly after the turbo, and oil drains were never a problem.

Of course, if a hose is kinked, thats a different story, but a smooth 90...no worrys IMO.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:34 PM
10 Second Club

that is a smooth pre bent peice of pipe. It is not something that I just threw together
Old 01-10-2008, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Speed
A couple of 20Gs would have to work pretty hard to supply a good flowing 400+ inch motor. I'm wondering if it was a combination of a balance problem exacerbated by extremely high shaft speed?
yep.... turbos are WAY to small
Old 01-10-2008, 11:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am not saying this is exactly what caused you failure, rather that a 90 degree bend right off the oil outlet can caused the coked oil to stay in the cartridge longer which can cause pressure surges and blow out turbo seals not to mention lack of fress oil. Talk to any turbo rebuilder and they will tell you that. What is supposed to speed the oil out of the turbo is gravity. Not pressure. The inlet orifice is far too small is have any meaningfull oil pressure when the oil reaches such a large hose.

Now in this application that may be your only choice. I dont know. Also, you may want to invest in some high temp steel braided #10 or #12 fittings and hose instead of rubber hose and a hose clamp for the outlet. I build my **** to last a long time and take abuse is all and I never cut corners with something like turbochargers. If you have questions, my rebuilder was www.alamoturbochargers.com.

What sucks is when a failure occurs it is hard to tell the cause. Things go boom and all you have left is lots of tiny pieces.

Originally Posted by Darren P
that is a smooth pre bent peice of pipe. It is not something that I just threw together
Old 01-10-2008, 11:46 PM
10 Second Club

I'm sure APS will treat you right!

Quick Reply: Turbo on APS kit came apart today