Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger guys, when did you need to upgrade to SDCE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 10:15 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well my gramar is not perfect for sure LOL!
I know thats right! J/K
Old 01-12-2008, 02:33 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

What is the saying don't use it and loose it well I've lost mine LOL!
Old 01-12-2008, 03:04 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Its all good man.
Old 01-12-2008, 05:08 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Smile

Originally Posted by Fraser@SpeedInc
Provided you stay with a D1SC head unit, should be ok.

F1A takes more power to turn, 3.85" pulley on an F1A ATI bracket, belt tightened to the point the bracket starts to flex still had belt slip. SDCE tensioner on order.
We have found that by going to a larger air filter helps to prevent belt slippage, believe it or not. We've picked up two psi of boost from switching filters and apparently it puts less strain on the blower. You might want to try this if you haven't already. Bob
Old 01-12-2008, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i guess im the only one with a different opion here, on my stock 346 i was running 10 psi with a llittle belt slpippage until I tightened the crap out of the belt (definetly too tight) ate up one belt eunning it to tight, on my built 347 when I tried to max out my D1 was a nightmare, I was fighting belt slippage constantly, I went thru 3 or 4 belts in a season, I would see anywhere between 11 and 16 psi, I even tried a richard racing pully which still slipped but just ate up belts faster. Bob is right though his larger air filter did get me almost 2 psi and slowed the slipping. after I got my sdce I had 0 issues. Ive been running the same belt for 8000 mi. or so and it still looks brand new, my only complant is the 7.25 crank pulley. just my .02
Old 01-12-2008, 10:07 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just try to use the stock set-up and see if I can get away with it. If it slips I'll have to upgrade to the SDCE.
Old 01-12-2008, 12:13 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by lmt0705
i guess im the only one with a different opion here, on my stock 346 i was running 10 psi with a llittle belt slpippage until I tightened the crap out of the belt (definetly too tight) ate up one belt eunning it to tight, on my built 347 when I tried to max out my D1 was a nightmare, I was fighting belt slippage constantly, I went thru 3 or 4 belts in a season, I would see anywhere between 11 and 16 psi, I even tried a richard racing pully which still slipped but just ate up belts faster. Bob is right though his larger air filter did get me almost 2 psi and slowed the slipping. after I got my sdce I had 0 issues. Ive been running the same belt for 8000 mi. or so and it still looks brand new, my only complant is the 7.25 crank pulley. just my .02
You arent the only one, lot of times someone puts their car on the dyno, belt doesnt slip and drives off on their merry way. Drive the car once a week, race a couple imports and its all good..

Needless to say cranking down the belt kills idler pulleys and belts, on my 6 rib P!SC and riechard pulley I would wear an idler and belt out in 2-3000 miles if I keep the belt tight enough where it didnt slip at all.

When the SDCE first came out I didnt think they would work at all, as a matter of fact the only reason I bought this procharger setup from forcefed98 was just to see if it really did work. I had full intentions of doing a TTi race kit on this car. Well three years later and one of the few procharged LS1 cars that have run in the 8s (with a 346 on top of it) and I'd have to say it works pretty well. I have two belts, one I put on new about 1.5 years ago and the one I got with it three years ago I keep for a spare, other than that I have never done a single thing to the SDCE except shim the tensioner pulley with a 50 cent stainless washer. While I agree with inspector12 the adjustment tool isnt pretty and I'm sure I could make something that looks nicer, it works just fine for me.

IMO the 7.25 is a good compromise, I can run anything from 7-8psi with a D1 to 20psi with the F1A with a 3.4, 3.7, 4 and 4.25 pulley (all with the same belt) so I dont find any fault with that..

I always hate to get in the middle of the 'do I NEED the SDCE' debate. It really depends what you need it for, some do just fine with the ATI 8 rib and dont mind the extra maintenance to save 700.00 or whatever an SDCE costs these days. Its like the aluminum direct drum in my trans that costs 700.00, I dont NEED it and it really doesnt make the car go any faster. But after killing a couple sprags and having a stock iron drum crack I wont use a TH400 in a high HP car without one. But some will argue its a complete waste of money and they have ran faster than I have with the stock drum. Same difference, spend the money where you see fit and upgrade if you think its necessary.
Old 01-12-2008, 01:32 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

A brace going from the backside of the bracket to the block will help alot with slippage issues.
Old 01-12-2008, 04:08 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
A brace going from the backside of the bracket to the block will help alot with slippage issues.
Our tensioner system includes a brace....it actually helps stop the bracket from flexing - when the bracket doesn't flex, the belt can't fly off!

Inspector12, no hard feelings....as I stated, we understood your position. There was just more to it than giving you a part number for the tensioner we used. Again, they get modified heavily per individual system that gets made...we weren't worried about you making the tensioner tools...we were serious! If you can make them better and cheaper, then we'd love for you to! I seem to remember an old post somewhere that you posted with a picture of our tool compared to the tool you made....I could be crazy though...

And as KP states, our products are not for everyone. We don't expect them to be. As the saying goes, there's an A$$ for every seat! LOL...
There are many intelligent vendors out there that have great products and services for you guys as well as for us. While I'd love to brag about all the things we do make, we certainly don't make it all!
Old 01-12-2008, 08:54 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SDCE
Our tensioner system includes a brace....it actually helps stop the bracket from flexing - when the bracket doesn't flex, the belt can't fly off!

Inspector12, no hard feelings....as I stated, we understood your position. There was just more to it than giving you a part number for the tensioner we used. Again, they get modified heavily per individual system that gets made...we weren't worried about you making the tensioner tools...we were serious! If you can make them better and cheaper, then we'd love for you to! I seem to remember an old post somewhere that you posted with a picture of our tool compared to the tool you made....I could be crazy though...

And as KP states, our products are not for everyone. We don't expect them to be. As the saying goes, there's an A$$ for every seat! LOL...
There are many intelligent vendors out there that have great products and services for you guys as well as for us. While I'd love to brag about all the things we do make, we certainly don't make it all!
Scott- You must have me confused with another member cause I never made a tool for this kit I just have your tool. Although it crossed my mind, but when I made this last tensioner I did it a little differently and gave me a better way for me to atleast to preload the the belt etc... Pretty pleased with is so far! Like I said before I wasn't made about the part number thing it just could have helped me make the event, but I got it taken care of now. Talk to you later.

Quick Reply: Procharger guys, when did you need to upgrade to SDCE?