Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Procharger guys, when did you need to upgrade to SDCE?

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 07:32 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Procharger guys, when did you need to upgrade to SDCE?

I was at 14psi with a D1, 8 rib, 4.25 pulley, stock 346 and had no slip. I will be upgrading to a 408 and 4.11 pulley. Do you think I will need the SDCE kit? Seems like a lot of money for a tensioner and I'm going to be spending alot as it is with everything else. I would rather not have to get this but I don't want to have problems with belt slip either. Anyone making 15psi or more with the stock procharger tensioner?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:02 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have ran 18 psi (ATI 7.625 crank pulley and 4.0 inch blower pulley) with the regular ATI J-bracket and manual tensioner without any issues on my 402/F1A.
Old 01-10-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The best person that can help would be Bob or Brent at Exotic Performance Plus.com.They wrote the book on ProChargers.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:04 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by speedracer5532
I have ran 18 psi (ATI 7.625 crank pulley and 4.0 inch blower pulley) with the regular ATI J-bracket and manual tensioner without any issues on my 402/F1A.
Thanks man, that's exactly what I'm looking for.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

I was asking that same question... 408 F1A
Old 01-10-2008, 09:08 AM
kp
8 Second Club

The SDCE was originally made when the procharger 8 rib didnt exist. You can run the ATI 8 rib pretty far, I like the SDCE since the blower doesnt 'rattle' at idle and you never have to worry about belt tension. Plus I can run everything from a 3.4 to a 4.25 pulley using the same belt and since I swap blowers a lot its less of a hassle and the belt has little static tension on it with the SDCE and wont eat idlers if you street drive a lot.

If you have an 8 rib I dont think its needed on a D1SC at all.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

So... $$$ not being the issue, would you recommend just going ahead and getting the bracket to be safe and have less maintenance issues on the street?
Old 01-10-2008, 09:21 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Its a worthwhile upgrade IMO, if you have an 8 rib I dont know if its 100% necessary slip-wise but I have no complaints at all out of it.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:28 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BLNLS1/RX7
The best person that can help would be Bob or Brent at Exotic Performance Plus.com.They wrote the book on ProChargers.
What's with you saying this in every post that has to do with procharger? It's a pretty worthless post if you ask me, I know who sells them and I know Bob and Brent know their **** but I personally don't feel right asking sponsors for help if I haven't purchased from them. If they want to put in their two cents, it would be appreciated but that's up to them. I'm looking for the people on this boards personal experiences, not what sponors are best.
Old 01-10-2008, 09:40 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
The SDCE was originally made when the procharger 8 rib didnt exist. You can run the ATI 8 rib pretty far, I like the SDCE since the blower doesnt 'rattle' at idle and you never have to worry about belt tension. Plus I can run everything from a 3.4 to a 4.25 pulley using the same belt and since I swap blowers a lot its less of a hassle and the belt has little static tension on it with the SDCE and wont eat idlers if you street drive a lot.

If you have an 8 rib I dont think its needed on a D1SC at all.
Very good info as always KP, thanks.
Old 01-10-2008, 10:55 AM
8 sec potential, 12 sec slip

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by rufretic
What's with you saying this in every post that has to do with procharger? It's a pretty worthless post if you ask me, I know who sells them and I know Bob and Brent know their **** but I personally don't feel right asking sponsors for help if I haven't purchased from them. If they want to put in their two cents, it would be appreciated but that's up to them. I'm looking for the people on this boards personal experiences, not what sponors are best.
I agree completely! Its like this guy probably doesn't even read the thread at all. He sees something in the title that has to do with prochargers and he throws that in. Even tells people that who have been around FI for a long time and KNOW Bob is the man. I am getting tired of seeing it as well. We all know Bob is great. We don't need this troll!

And as far as the original point of this thread, I have ran the ATI 8 rib setup on my old P1SC setup 7.65/3.4 combo and hit 14psi with it, and I am currently running 15psi on the F1 with 7.65/4.25 pulleys and no slip that I know of. I would not bother with SDCE unless you actually start experiencing slip and can not get rid of it any other way. Because like you said, that is a lot of money for a spring tensioner... Just my .02
Old 01-11-2008, 01:11 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

When I started out in 05 I had the 6 rib kit. I was only putting out 4 pounds of boost. Then I got smoked by a KB Cobra in town and immediately I stepped up to the SDCE kit. That put me over the 500 rwhp mark instantly. The kit was about 700.00 or so but it was worth it to me and have given me zero problems in 2.5 years of abuse.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:38 AM
Banned

Provided you stay with a D1SC head unit, should be ok.

F1A takes more power to turn, 3.85" pulley on an F1A ATI bracket, belt tightened to the point the bracket starts to flex still had belt slip. SDCE tensioner on order.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:19 AM
TT-TECH Veteran

Well I don't now what they charge to modify the Prochager bracket, but the SDCE stuff has worked well for me and for those that have broken the SDCE tentioners because the tool sucks and doesn't work LOL! I have been making them myself without an issue now that I know the tentioner they are using etc... They wanted to charge me $150 for the tentioner and wanted me to send the bracket back too LOL! I found it at Autozone for $48 and it took me about 1hr to cut drill tap and be ready to reinstall same day. I am gratefull for all there work, but they can be pricey if you mess something up. I changed the design a little and haven't broken any more tentioners now. Love the bracket and like KP says pulley sizes are a breeze.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:54 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Inspector12
Well I don't now what they charge to modify the Prochager bracket, but the SDCE stuff has worked well for me and for those that have broken the SDCE tentioners because the tool sucks and doesn't work LOL! I have been making them myself without an issue now that I know the tentioner they are using etc... They wanted to charge me $150 for the tentioner and wanted me to send the bracket back too LOL! I found it at Autozone for $48 and it took me about 1hr to cut drill tap and be ready to reinstall same day. I am gratefull for all there work, but they can be pricey if you mess something up. I changed the design a little and haven't broken any more tentioners now. Love the bracket and like KP says pulley sizes are a breeze.
We're glad you found a tensioner and made it work.
So everyone knows, if you break the tensioner, the price we charge to fix it of $150.00 includes the correct tensioner, and for us to spend a little over an hour refitting the bracket, remachining the new tensioner, refitting it on an engine and going over the entire setup to make sure it is 110% again. Because they are all made to order, not two are exactly the same so the tensioner needs to be machined around your existing setup to fit properly.

Inspector 12, we understand and respect that you didn't have the time or money to have us do it. Understand we can't work for free. If something breaks because it's faulty, we'll absolutely fix it. If something breaks due to misuse, it wouldn't be fair for us to pay for that would it?
As far as our tool, if it sucked so bad and if our design was so poor, why did you make yours look exactly the same? If you can make it better and for less money than we can, we'd be happy to have you make them for us.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:51 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by SDCE
We're glad you found a tensioner and made it work.
So everyone knows, if you break the tensioner, the price we charge to fix it of $150.00 includes the correct tensioner, and for us to spend a little over an hour refitting the bracket, remachining the new tensioner, refitting it on an engine and going over the entire setup to make sure it is 110% again. Because they are all made to order, not two are exactly the same so the tensioner needs to be machined around your existing setup to fit properly.

Inspector 12, we understand and respect that you didn't have the time or money to have us do it. Understand we can't work for free. If something breaks because it's faulty, we'll absolutely fix it. If something breaks due to misuse, it wouldn't be fair for us to pay for that would it?
As far as our tool, if it sucked so bad and if our design was so poor, why did you make yours look exactly the same? If you can make it better and for less money than we can, we'd be happy to have you make them for us.
LOL! Didn't have the time becasue I was in a crunch to make and event and I broke the tentioner at about 2am the next day Sat. I called and talked to a nice lady and told her my perdicament and ofcourse you guys couldn't get that done I wouldn't expect you to either, but I was looking for the vehicle that the tentioner came off of and she told me that it didn't come off of a specific vehicle and that it was a universal type etc... And she wouldn't help by giveing me a part number so that I could get maybe get it fixed and get to the competition.

So I went to various auto parts and finally went to Autozone as a last dich effort and the first box I picked up was it! But It was too late to make it to the competition. I don't expect you guy to be giving out your designes all the time etc.. but in extreme cases such as mine I thought I'd get some help. I didn't and I am not mad about it, just a little story so you know how I came to do them myself not lack of money at all it was a lack of time, and if some one had you guys build them one I totaly understand your price and think it is fair considering labor to probably be in the $75 an hr range.

It is just expensive compared to the $50 tentioner if you see what I am saying. And I wouldn't expect anyone to pay for something that wasn't there fault I was just looking for support at the time. And I didn't make a tool I made the tentioner and changed some of the things on it to make it easier for ME to preload the tentioner. I have tried at least 100 times to get the tool you guys made to work and haven't ever got it to work one time maybe its me, but it is off center and when you apply presure it turns out and you loose your leverage and it almost pops out.
With out a different way to preload the tentioner you will break them consistently using a pry bar etc... So I just changed the tentioner a little to not have to use the tool that wasn't working for me and to be able to do that without breaking the tentioner etc... I am on my 3rd one and since the change I haven't had any issues and it has been apart a lot of times. You made a great design and product I just had to changed it a little for ME so please try not to get offended I know it is hard when some one gives there opinon or experience etc... But like I said the the first post your product has worked well for me and has some great benefits.

And just so you know I am not trying to sell tentioners either I have a job that makes me work almost every day and has been like that for the last 18months. Man that was a lot of typing sorry it was so long, but I could see you were a little upset at what I said and wanted to be a little more clear so you would understand my side also. Thanks.
Jeff

Last edited by frcefed98; 01-11-2008 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 02:30 PM

I know what a tensioner is, but what is a "tentioner"?
Old 01-11-2008, 03:04 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by ChevyChad

Its a tensioner for tents. They're on sale at Target right now.
Old 01-11-2008, 06:35 PM

LOL LMAO

sory for the thread derail
Old 01-11-2008, 09:01 PM
TT-TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ChevyChad
Those are the ones you get when you don't pay very close attention to what you are typeing LOL! Got me good on that one I didn't even pay any attention to it until you pointed it out. Well my gramar is not perfect for sure LOL! Well at least I was consistently wrong. I probably would have caught it had I not been the one writing it.

Quick Reply: Procharger guys, when did you need to upgrade to SDCE?