Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a PCV layout for a boosted engine

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Coal Mining Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lt170chevelle
wouldnt that defeat the purpose of having a vaccum source having hooked into the system with no check valves?
Not really, the vac source has to have a fresh air inlet. Mine has three. Breather on the fill cap and the two hoses that go to the turbo filter. So part throttle pulls vac through the valley cover,pcv,oneway check and catch can.

WOT the pcv system shuts off and the slight vac from the turbo pulls from the rear valve covers. Only air inlet is the oil cap breather at wot.
Old 07-09-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Can this be setup for the "end all - be all" thread about the PCV system for a boosted engine? There seem to be a lot of different ideas on which system is the best.

Patrick
Old 07-09-2008, 02:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

onfire: with that setup, are you not pulling oil into the intake of the turbo?
Have you checked you piping for oil? I plan to something like that except I will put a vented catch can between the valve covers and the turbo intake.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:49 PM
Coal Mining Director

I do get some oil vapor...hasn't hurt anything, but a catchcan could be helpful.
Old 07-09-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by onfire
I do get some oil vapor...hasn't hurt anything, but a catchcan could be helpful.
Using the proper catch can & it is a good setup.
Old 07-09-2008, 10:20 PM
Coal Mining Director

Originally Posted by TLewis4095
Using the proper catch can & it is a good setup.
I run a catchcan on the pcv/valley port. I just don't run another catchcan on the two lines going to the turbo inlet...I get some oil vapor there, but not much since it's pulling at wot.
Old 07-11-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sworaz
Your diagram looks fairly straight forward. Did you just eliminate the pcv on the driver valve cover and keep it on the passenger side?
Imagine you just kept the pcv line (took out the actual pcv valve) and ran it to the catch can and "T" fitting?

I eliminated the pcv on the passenger side and on the driver's side. The pcv goes to the ls6 valley cover on mine. It could go to either valve cover, but it will pull more oil there.

I still have a pcv valve, to limit the airflow through the pcv line at idle.

I haven't done the t-fitting and the line to the turbo yet... it's the planned layout, but just not done yet. For now the breather is the only thing venting the crankcase under boost (no check valve in that line yet).

I have a hollowed out pcv valve stuck in the driver's side grommet, so that I have a place to put the hose for the breather. I cut off the tip of the big end of the pcv valve, and pulled the internals out and deburred it.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:04 PM
TECH Resident

Name:  MyPCV_CCPlumbing001.jpg
Views: 2307
Size:  41.3 KB

In theory this will always have a source of vacuum through your catch can whether in boost or not. You will always have a source of fresh air pull through with the breather as well. Check it out and punch some holes in the theory, I will be all to happy to hear of how I can make improvements
Old 07-12-2008, 09:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. (that's basically the same layout I did)

Except you're pulling from a valve cover instead of the valley cover, which if you don't have an ls6 valley cover, is your only option.

And you dropped the pcv valve. The reason I kept the pcv was to limit the amount of air the pcv is pulling at idle.

Well I overkilled by putting a check valve in the breather line too. But I'm pretty sure that is not needed, after I thought about it some more.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Oh4GTO
onfire: with that setup, are you not pulling oil into the intake of the turbo?
Have you checked you piping for oil? I plan to something like that except I will put a vented catch can between the valve covers and the turbo intake.
Wouldn't you want to use a non-vented catch can? If you used a vented catch can, you would be pulling air from atmosphere which means you would be pulling little to nothing from the valve covers.
Old 07-13-2008, 03:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

Onfire: this is the same set-up that APS reccommends for their kit. They even supply all of the lines and check-valve and everything. In fact, they even send a more restrictive one way check valve to go between the valley and intake. Problem is, several people have said their car would not idle with it this way. Why I don't know. I might have to post up about it.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Screw it Im going to keep it simple. Both valve covers to a vented catch can and that it. Everything else blocked off. If that starts to give me problems then Ill just get the GZ vaccum pump. Or I can save up for it and get it when I get everything on.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:28 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by John_D.
I like it. (that's basically the same layout I did)

Except you're pulling from a valve cover instead of the valley cover, which if you don't have an ls6 valley cover, is your only option.

And you dropped the pcv valve. The reason I kept the pcv was to limit the amount of air the pcv is pulling at idle.

Well I overkilled by putting a check valve in the breather line too. But I'm pretty sure that is not needed, after I thought about it some more.
So John-D you ever end up running the full sytem I am interested in the +/-
Old 10-03-2008, 11:46 PM
TECH Regular

I'm gonna subscribe to this one. So many different ones on here.....
Old 10-04-2008, 09:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

there is not just one solution, people have diff requirements

i would give as much flow out of the engine as you can design into the system in any situation tho.

i made my own one way breather

Old 10-04-2008, 10:23 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Pat-Man
Can this be setup for the "end all - be all" thread about the PCV system for a boosted engine? There seem to be a lot of different ideas on which system is the best.

Patrick
I haven't read all the other threads but what about venting the valve cover to an EGR check valve that is welded on to your downpipe?

The hod rodders have been using them and still are for over the past 30 years...
Old 01-02-2010, 05:43 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by NemesisC5

In theory this will always have a source of vacuum through your catch can whether in boost or not. You will always have a source of fresh air pull through with the breather as well. Check it out and punch some holes in the theory, I will be all to happy to hear of how I can make improvements
Mine is similar:
Name:  pcv3-1.jpg
Views: 2241
Size:  11.7 KB
I mean to put the line going to the intake mani as opposed to the TB, so pretend I did lol. Im not running a breather either.
Old 01-03-2010, 10:23 AM
TECH Fanatic

MightyMouse, that breather is pimp! Do you have any further info or pics on how to assemble one?
Old 01-03-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

the bottom is a metco valve cover adapter, the top is from pep boys ( pcv breather with unscrewable top) maybe from spectre

then mods to the breather, foam and added a slice of rubber to be the valve
Old 01-03-2010, 12:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Awesome, thanks

Quick Reply: a PCV layout for a boosted engine