Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a PCV layout for a boosted engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2010, 11:02 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(I'm not sure what you mean but none of the parts above I would consider skimping.
The AMW catch can is nice, but the Mike Norris can is pretty nice too and THOUSANDS of members on here and other sites know of it and use it daily. The check valve is a check valve so let's not kid ourselves here. We don't need a brand name, just functionality.)

(I think a major difference between some of these designs is the breather element.

I want the PCV system consistently evacuating the crankcase with a vacuum, and if there's an open breather anywhere in the system there isn't a vacuum on the crankcase (or at least it's a lot lower vacuum and a lot less effective).

If you're just venting to atmosphere just stick a breather on the valve cover and get rid of the PCV altogether, IMHO. Drawing vacuum on an open system and pulling air into your motor through the breather certainly isn't as effective at venting your crankcase as a closed system, and it's only gonna make a mess when the oil mist and air goes the other way out through it...

Put a hole in the side of your McDonalds straw and then take a drink of your Coke through it, you'll see what I mean.

Just some thoughts.
Rob (Bad30th)

OK I am done helping posting here about FI and PCV systems.
I am sure the parts you are using chuck norris etc is great. NO NO NO if you put a check valve that ant "LOW" boost sensitive, boost will creap through into the crankcase.
I was giving Proven Tested PCV Parts that work with a FI LSX motors, for thousands of miles .
Use what ever you want , i wont argue or be insulted by know it alls

Anyone need info on the Right Parts that i am using PM me. Glade to help u.

OK and as of just sticking a breather on the valve cover and getting rid of the PCV system is not the simple answer, and this quote just wasted all my time posting on here.

#1 we already did that, and even a so called Pro tunner(wont say anyones name), but i wouldnt use him to tune my car, had my friend remove his pcv SYSTEM, hE HAD ME DO THE SAME THING,

oN THE WAY HOME MY CAR WAS STINKING OF OIL/GAS FUEMS.

The breather on the valve cover, in my case aBreather can (way nicer and cleaner) is your Freash aie source during vacume, idel and part throttle.

The stock system is open to, the line from your valve cover to your Throttle body is your "Stock Freash air"

Any one need help PM me
everyone else knows what there doing by sucking oil

Last edited by Lawnboy; 01-07-2010 at 11:16 AM.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:11 AM
12 Second Club

I dont believe his comment referred to the quality of any of your components, but the method. Hence running it vented VS a completely sealed system.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
(I'm not sure what you mean but none of the parts above I would consider skimping.
The AMW catch can is nice, but the Mike Norris can is pretty nice too and THOUSANDS of members on here and other sites know of it and use it daily. The check valve is a check valve so let's not kid ourselves here. We don't need a brand name, just functionality.)

(I think a major difference between some of these designs is the breather element.

I want the PCV system consistently evacuating the crankcase with a vacuum, and if there's an open breather anywhere in the system there isn't a vacuum on the crankcase (or at least it's a lot lower vacuum and a lot less effective).

If you're just venting to atmosphere just stick a breather on the valve cover and get rid of the PCV altogether, IMHO. Drawing vacuum on an open system and pulling air into your motor through the breather certainly isn't as effective at venting your crankcase as a closed system, and it's only gonna make a mess when the oil mist and air goes the other way out through it...

Put a hole in the side of your McDonalds straw and then take a drink of your Coke through it, you'll see what I mean.

Just some thoughts.
Rob (Bad30th)

OK I am done helping posting here about FI and PCV systems.
I am sure the parts you are using chuck norris etc is great. NO NO NO if you put a check valve that ant "LOW" boost sensitive, boost will creap through into the crankcase.
I was giving Proven Tested PCV Parts that work with a FI LSX motors, for thousands of miles .
Use what ever you want , i wont argue or be insulted by know it alls

Anyone need info on the Right Parts that i am using PM me. Glade to help u.

OK and as of just sticking a breather on the valve cover and getting rid of the PCV system is not the simple answer, and this quote just wasted all my time posting on here.

#1 we already did that, and even a so called Pro tunner(wont say anyones name), but i wouldnt use him to tune my car, had my friend remove his pcv SYSTEM, hE HAD ME DO THE SAME THING,

oN THE WAY HOME MY CAR WAS STINKING OF OIL/GAS FUEMS.

The breather on the valve cover, in my case aBreather can (way nicer and cleaner) is your Freash aie source during vacume, idel and part throttle.

The stock system is open to, the line from your valve cover to your Throttle body is your "Stock Freash air"

Any one need help PM me
everyone else knows what there doing by sucking oil
Dang dude, we weren't trying to be dicks so don't get your panties in a bunch. There are several different methods to doing this and he's just posting his viewpoint. We all kinda know that one method is a little cleaner while the other is a little "dirtier." Either way, some prefer one over the other and it's no big deal, both systems function the same.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:25 PM
Restricted User

No big deal at at, My point is if your guys already know that your set up is going to work better than someone else why keep going on and on about it. PCV/LSX system problems and solutions have been going on here for ever.

When you remove the PCV system all together , which i did once, so did my friends, You have No PCV system anymore, Result dirty oil, gas fuems/vapors comming out of the breather, in the car while driving smelling gas fuems, headachs, your getting very sleepy.

Good luck with all your set ups , i hope they work out .
Peace
Old 01-07-2010, 12:36 PM
12 Second Club

No need to get upset guys, we're all trying to help here, and this is a good discussion.

That being said, just a quick joke :

using chuck norris etc is great.
Wow, that guy does everything !!

Also I wasn't suggesting to put the breather on and call it a day, just the opposite...

The stock system is open too, the line from your valve cover to your Throttle body is your "Stock Fresh air"
Correct. ...and that line is connected on my car too. To say the stock system is "open" is somewhat misleading. ...well at least it's not as "open" as a breather...

When the car is on and running, that VC-->TB line sees vacuum (in stock form it can bring air relief from the TB which is under vacuum in most operating conditions, in my design the inlet hat pulling air into the blower makes the vacuum). The PCV line will have a stronger vacuum than the inlet hat line (when not under boost), since the PCV is connected to the intake manifold where there is a greater vacuum than the inlet hat (when not under boost).

Key difference : a breather will never see any external vacuum and will therefore always completely defer to any other crankcase vacuum source and let fresh air enter via the breather (instead of the vacuum trying to pull fresh air via a line that has opposing vacuum), and a breather will let oil mist/air escape when it vents pressure.

A breather system will never have as much vacuum on the crankcase (which is the whole idea) as a "more closed" system, all things being equal.

I just prefer having a "sealed" system and not having misted oil all over everything, do it however you like as long as it's venting the crankcase under all operating conditions...

Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 01-07-2010 at 12:41 PM.
Old 01-07-2010, 12:58 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Totally agree with your point of view Rob. Lawnboy has been preaching his method in every thread I come across. I find it rather pointless to even run a catch can if you're venting to atmosphere. Sure it adds a little eye candy to the engine bay but every car comes with an oil filter for a purpose. None of the junk found in a catch can would make it through a quality filter anyway.

I've never ran breathers on my turbo build but another part of what Lawnboy is saying just isn't adding up. I've ridden in plenty of cars with breathers venting to atmosphere off of the valve covers and yes, they lead to a stinky ride. How does a breather mounted on top of a catch can perform any differently? Unless they're some magic vacuum lines, is it safe to say that the same fumes emitted from a valve cover breather will also be emitted from a vented can?

IMO a catch can is only needed if you're running a closed loop system to collect the oil from entering your intake tract or from entering a vacuum pump. On any other application it's a total waste of funds.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:14 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

there is definitely something to be said for a system which allows fresh air to enter vs. a sealed system

..but first the pic with the breather /catch can combo does not 'stink' because air goes into the breather.. not exit..
wtf you guys think its is got a filter built in for? lol.

pulling in fresh air allows for the dirty combusted gas oil junk to exit.

drawing a vac on a system is a race only mod to improve ring seal and hp. it is not a 'cleanliness' tactic.

on the other hand, some form of pcv (v for ventilation) system does.

this may require my particular system to be explained again but ill wait for the question as to why mine doesnt appear to follow what i've just said.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:01 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
there is definitely something to be said for a system which allows fresh air to enter vs. a sealed system

..but first the pic with the breather /catch can combo does not 'stink' because air goes into the breather.. not exit..
wtf you guys think its is got a filter built in for? lol.
I can see that working just as well, I guess. Wouldn't the PCV vacuum just be drawing in unmetered air into your intake through the path of least resistance (the filter) instead of scavenging your crankcase and keeping a slight vacuum on it ?

drawing a vac on a system is a race only mod to improve ring seal and hp. it is not a 'cleanliness' tactic.

on the other hand, some form of pcv (v for ventilation) system does.
I'm not foolish enough to believe there's any HP to be gained here.

However - I believe every gasoline-engine factory car from GM has come with that race only mod (a PCV system) for many years now... I'm not trying to increase ring seal, just keep the crankcase evacuated of pressure that can push out seals, etc.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-07-2010, 08:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

it is only unmetered air if you are using a metering device such as a maf.. ditch the maf.

actually crankcase vacuum can increase hp. look it up.

the factory systems are not vacuum systems..not the race only mod, they are pcV systems. they are not sealed, they get an air source from a port in the tb ahead of the blade... you know the port we all plug with a vacuum cap when we originally went FI.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:19 PM
12 Second Club

it is only unmetered air if you are using a metering device such as a maf.. ditch the maf.

the factory systems are not vacuum systems..not the race only mod, they are pcV systems. they are not sealed, they get an air source from a port in the tb ahead of the blade... you know the port we all plug with a vacuum cap when we originally went FI.

I was only kidding with the "factory race-only mod" thing, heh. Yes I know substantial vacuum increases ring seal and HP. I was saying I'm not foolish enough to believe the PCV system will provide enough vacuum for that purpose.

...and yeah I am still using a MAF. Not sure for how much longer though, trying to go a bit faster now that things have come together somewhat.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-07-2010, 09:55 PM
Restricted User

Thank you Mighty Mouse, I got a lot of my PCV info from you over the years,

Might mouse Knows is ****! been around a long time,

the breather can is not for bling, it alows fresh air in , instead of stock on the throttle body port it comes from the breather can at idel /part throttle, Mighty mouse correct me if i am wrong.

And my Breather can the spicific one that i am using has a internal baffel which prevents oil mist (during boost/positive pressure) from blowing out the breather.

Yes a breather on the valve cover is a dirty way of doing it and will oil mist a film on your valve cover and coils, Thats why folks i use my special breather can. Like i said i been there , dirty coils and valve cover for me to.

*I am in Speed density so i dont have a open system, it was tuned the way it is now.

*Skinny69 , if i remove my PCV system (PCV valve, check valve, non vented catch can) or just take the line off and cap the intake port, take a drive Yes it will smell a little , because the breather can is not pulling in freash air and routing it into the intake anymore, it is instead releasing vapors and fumes. Ok pull over uncap the intake port replace the PCV line back on , take a drive , no smell, PCV is working Perfect.

I am not saying i am a expert in PCV systems, all i am saying is that after years playing with 4 different procharger F-body set ups ,that my system works!

and i did all that stuff with the inlet hat and what ever you add to that line , fuel filter catch can etc some oil makes it down there, and thats not what i want.
Old 01-07-2010, 11:51 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I've researched that topic to death and I've yet to find solid evidence to support it. I'm a strong believer that it works but I've yet to see any back to back dyno pulls of a vented vs. vacuum system. Maybe you guys could lead me onto some good reading material.

I'm not trying to start a keyboard wrestling match but do you mind explaining how so? At idle the vacuum would be greater in the intake manifold as apposed to pre-throttle body. This would allow air to be drawn through the port on the TB as the draw from the pcv system is greater in the manifold. Once the throttle blade opens up the vacuum equalizes out between the manifold and the rest of the intake tract, thus eliminating any current draw into the crankcase. Is it safe to assume that once the blade opens that the stock pcv system on a naturally aspirated vehicle performs as a closed loop system or am I totally wrong on this assumption?
Old 01-28-2010, 01:24 AM
Restricted User

Default Tested My set up, using a vacume/boost gauge on my PCV system

Tested My set up today, using a vacume/boost gauge on my PCV system.

OK i just got around to doing this , i know its been a while.

I modified a factory/stock oil cap with a T fitting so i could hook up a vacume line to it, and run it into my car under the hood through my driver window. I drilled a hole in the top through the oil cap, with a rubber washer i pressed the valve fitting super tight into the oil cap, check for leaks and it came out good. Screwed the oil cap on the filler neck, took the car for a drive.

Ok this is what i came up with

at 5 PSI , no PCV reading on the hand held gauge, my old set up about 1 psi.

at 7-8 PSI still zero reading, old set up 2 psi

at 10-11 PSI Big ZERO old set up 2.5-3 PSI at 9 psi

So it works and it works Perfect, if it didnt vent the PCV into the breather can i would be getting some PCV boost reading on the gauge, and that means my crancase is getting pressurized.

Now if i was to diconect each of my 3/8" rubber lines, one that comes off of each valve cover to the two 3/8 inputs on my breather can and cap them off , i would defently see PCV pressure/boost on that gauge.

I hope this helps everyone, LSX PCV systems can be a little tricky, especialy when it comes to FI set ups, and that thin line between Street and Race.

If anyone needs help/advice, Pictures of my set up or pictures of the test i did
PM me
Glade to help u out
Old 01-28-2010, 01:35 AM
TECH Addict

I think that if instead of using a vented catch can, if you ran a non vented can to a vacuum source like the turbo inlet(while in boost) it would actually have vacuum as opposed to nothing either way.
Old 01-28-2010, 01:43 AM
Restricted User

Yeah but after the test i just did, it showes no PCV, meaning the vented catch can is doing its job, after seeing this why would i want to suck oil vapers into my procharger, air filter, BOV's and intercoolers? If i was seeing my crankcase getting pressurized than i would say yes suck it out to relieve the pressure build up, but that ant happening with my system.
so ill leave it and stay clean
Old 01-28-2010, 01:49 AM
TECH Addict

The point of the catch can is to catch all that junk...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Restricted User

Been there tryed it , I was running the best non vented cath can u can buy (AMW)
befor the procharger inlet, yes it cought most of the stuff, but not all, and it dirty my air filter manny times, etc. I even put a small in line clear plastic fuel filter inbetween the catch can and procharger inlet hat, the filter would get moist and dirty from oil vaper and mist.

You been questioning me a long time now about my set up, hey not saying yours wont work, It will, but i wasnt happy with the results of doing it that way. I am very happy with the way i have it now, and the results i seen today doing that simple test.

My set up was approved my my engine builder, Merkel Racing and my engine installer The Vett Doctors .
Old 01-28-2010, 05:33 AM
TECH Addict

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Let's see some pictures of your set up lawnboy. And maybe a diagram...
Old 01-28-2010, 11:47 AM
Restricted User

if you want pictures , PM me ,
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 PM
Staging Lane

after reading this thread, I had an idea. I'm trying to come up with a decent solution that doesn't require a catch can at all. I know that all systems have their pros and cons, and not having a can isn't optimal.

Please tell me what would be wrong with this setup :

drivers valve cover line run to intake manifold with inline pcv valve. This should allow vacuum on the crankcase, and stop boost from entering.

Pass side valve cover has a 3/8" line on it going to a 3/8" barbed T. One side of the T would have a plug in it with a very small hole drilled in is (maybe 0.065"). I would determine the best size hole through testing. This would allow not enough fresh air to come into the crankcase and the idea is to hold the crankcase at or around 5" HG (not a full 20" which will ruin seals, etc). There is still fresh air entering this way, and yet we still get some vacuum in the case for rings, etc.

On the 2nd side of the T would simply be an over pressure safety valve. Something like what you would find on a shop air compressor to keep the tank from blowing up. It will stay perfectly sealed until 0.5 psi is acted on it, at which point it would pop open and vent. The outlet of this valve could be open to atmosphere, or routed directly to the inlet of the turbo or supercharger as it would only be an exhaust during boost.

The only downfall I am currently seeing to this is the oil vapour which may escape the 0.065" hole under boost, although I'd assume 90%+ would come out the larger orifice(over pressure valve) since it's the lower restriction.

Comments, criticism all welcome.

Quick Reply: a PCV layout for a boosted engine