Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a PCV layout for a boosted engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:29 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Na , i wouldnt do any of that , open holes, pop off valves etc, the vented breather cac breaths in Freash air through a nice K&N breathe filter, so it breaths "Clean Air"

dealing with a LS motor PCV system will require a catch can to do it right and to Keep Things Clean, oil, air , intercoolers, intake, air filters etc.
Do it nice or do it twice
Old 02-22-2010, 10:26 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

subscribing
Old 03-15-2010, 01:52 AM
Restricted User

ok i just copy and past this link into my browser and it worked

webmail.aol.com/30746-111/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.27481001&folder=OldMail&part Id=4&saveAs=1
Old 03-15-2010, 05:44 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
ok i just copy and past this link into my browser and it worked

webmail.aol.com/30746-111/aol-1/en-us/mail/get-attachment.aspx?uid=1.27481001&folder=OldMail&part Id=4&saveAs=1
please reference this link
Old 03-15-2010, 10:00 AM
Restricted User

sorry i dont know what i am doing , someone foward me a picture of my duel catch can system and i used the URL link, i did the best i could
Old 03-15-2010, 11:15 AM
TECH Addict

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Lawnboy, what did your test show at idle and cruising? How much vac did it show?

MIGHTYMOUSE & Lawnboy, why don't you want to pull vac in boost situations? won't that just help the situation even more to seal the rings even tighter?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:20 AM
Restricted User

at the intake port i get a lot of vacume 15+ , on the catch can side about 12-14 , if i take the line off the LS6 valley i get about the same 14, i also have a pcv valve in place, inline between the LS6 vally port and the catch can, between the catch can and intaks i run a GN check valve.

on the oil cap test i used a boost only gauge it dont read vac, ill have to check that tho , because i run a vented breather can a 3/8's line running from each valve cover to the breather can , i would think the vac would ne little to nothing,

what vac do u see on a stock LS motor at the throttle body fresh air line? removing the hose from the TB port and hooking a Vac gauge to it , i think you would see 10+ because hooking up the gauge to it would close the system and it would suck .

Last edited by Lawnboy; 03-15-2010 at 11:29 AM.
Old 03-15-2010, 10:18 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

im lost on all this vac. talk. Do you need to run a vacumm system on boosted cars? My car has a 6.0/d1sc combo. All i have a two -10 bungs welded to my valley cover and two -10 lines ran to my catch can. Is this good enough or do i actuall NEED to run a vac. set-up? If so then why?
Old 03-15-2010, 11:01 PM
Restricted User

Yes its good enough, Plenty to vent/purge and blow by building in your crankcase,

we were talking about on the PCV valve/catch can/intake manifold side how much vacume was being pulled
Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 PM
Restricted User

Name:  1.jpg
Views: 1639
Size:  99.8 KB
Name:  2.jpg
Views: 1635
Size:  88.9 KB
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 PM
Restricted User

let me know if you guys can see the catch can system now
Old 03-16-2010, 05:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts

yea we can see um
Old 03-16-2010, 10:01 AM
On The Tree

Wow, those look IDENTICAL to the ones from catchcans.com with the vented one having an extra port.

Old 05-11-2010, 02:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
Yeah i did a lot of research and testing The LS1 with forced induction, OK me and my engine builder believe in PCV during idel and part throttle, around town and cruse driving.

Ok a PCV system keeps the oil clean, gets the mosture and contaimants out of the oil.

2 years ago when i removed my PCV completly and just had a breather on the valve cover oil fill neck , i was smelling gas vapers, and it was stinking a little. I didnt like it at all.

OK here is the best Imop street/race LS1/LS6/LS2 etc set up that we came up with. This is the best you can do without going with a scavenge pump set up.

OK i am running a LS6 block and LS6 vally cover, my vally cover port is connected to a 3/8 or 5/16 (not sure) rubber hose with LS6 PCV valve inplace to my AnW catch can, out of the catch can is another 3/8-5/16 hose with a GN boost metal check valve , on the other end of the check valve a 3/8-5/16 rubber line goes to the LS6 PCV port.

ok this with give you air circulation out of the vally to the intake to keep oil fresh and clean during 95% of your driving during idel and part throttle driving.
The GN check will lock up during positive pressure, Boost, Preventing boost to presureize back into the crank case through the LS6 Vally cover. Simple , works Perfect and NO problems what so ever.
Ok i know there sounds like there is a lot going on here , but realy not, The reason for the LS6 vally cover is because it does have a built in oil baffel, it kinda works, lets say it helps, ok the reason for the PCV valve is because i was getting so much vacume , the catch can was getting some oil in it ,(1/2 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) PCV valve is a vacume reducer and limits/reduces some of the vacume and holds oil back, prevents oil flow , suspose to let only oil vapors through, lets say this only helps the LS1 PCV oil problems too. OK the PCV valve and vally cover helps control oil from getting into the intake about 70% better but not to my standards, (now only a 1/4 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) now this is where the NON vented ANW catch can shines, it stops about 95% of the oil vaper/mist after the vally cover and PCV valve. any that gets through my methano injection will wash away,

OK but you still need the engine to be able to vent during boost/full open throttle pulls,
most of us put a breather of some kind on the oil filler neck, this is good, but on my old combo i was getting some oil mist on my coils etc , dirty and ulgy,

I came up with this, I ran two 3/8" rubber lines, one off each valve cover to a vented catch can, the can has two 3/8" ports. The can i am using has a built in baffel so NO oil vaper-mist will come out of it when the crankcase is venting.

This set up has worked the best OVER everything i tryed, and tested, i even tryed a few set ups that i researched here on ls1tech, some worked ok or somewhat but not 100%

my set up so far has been 100% reliable and works flawlessley

My friends car was stinking bad the other day , he also removed his PCV system and ran a breather, brand new 408 with a F1-C, he said his car is a race car and dont need a PCV system i said ok, 3 months later he invites me over wants to check out my car, just got it back from dyno SD tune, he first noticed my PCV set up and liked it ,
asked me if i am getting fumes into the car, after i said no way , we ended up in his garage for 2 hours , seting his PCV system like mine, LOL
This is Bad *** Lawn boy!! and is definatly the way im going to set mine up here. I too am tired of the oil smell on my 02 35th LE APS and just need to know what type of cans are you using? I saw in here somebody posted pics saying they were (Cathcans.com) but I couldnt find them under a internet search? Does anybody else know where i can find these dual cans at ? Looks like they'll bolt right to the passanger head ok?
I found these but with no breather?http://CustomMuscleCarAccessories.com

Thanks Barnat

Last edited by barnat; 05-11-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 04:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey guys ,I really like the way Lawn Boy has his PCV set up on here and was actually sitting here for the best few hours going over it in my head and had an idea that may actually better his setup and wanted to get your opinions on it!

First ,He's using a (ventless) #1 catch can connected to his LS6 valley cover because of the internal baffles which limits oil as it is ,which I like. He's also using a LS6 PCV valve going to the TB to limit the amount of vacum being pulled and he is also using a GN type check valve to stop back pressure from re-entering the vally pan once he's under boost conditions. His setup is drawing its fresh air threw his #2 vented catch can on the other side of the #1 ,which is tee'd in to both of the valve cover with 3/8 hoses Right?

Under boost conditions the GN check valve closes and the positive crank case pressure is then vented threw the same vented#2 catch can Right?

So the (fresh air inlet) and the (boost venting) are done threw the same #2 vented catch can ,,,Right?

My question is,,,,would it better this setup at all,,,,, if check valve type breathers were used on each of valve covers to only admit fresh air under (nornal to part throttle conditions) but would close under boost conditions? Then put (2) 3/8th barbed fittings elsewhere in the ends of the valve covers with a check valves which would only open under boost conditions and these would vent to the #2 vented catch can ?
My thinking on this is idea is that it would keep all (3) breathers operating in one direction ((only)) and keep the (2) valve cover breathers cleaner since they would only be admitting fresh clean air into the vac system and not discharging oil mist out. The (3rd) breather on the #2 vented catch can would be used only as a vent type breather (only under boost conditions) verses using this filter as a inlet and outlet like it is now on lawn boys setup , which would dirty easyer IMO and not work as efficeintly as a designated clean air filter would ?Just wondering what your thought were on this wheather it really matters or not?
Thanks guys Barnat

Last edited by barnat; 05-11-2010 at 09:11 PM.
Old 05-11-2010, 05:03 PM
Teching In

i think that is a hell of an idea. i see no reason as to why it wouldn't work. it is just alot of extra work to do.
Old 05-11-2010, 06:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by moddedta
i think that is a hell of an idea. i see no reason as to why it wouldn't work. it is just alot of extra work to do.
Its really the same amount of work if im starting from scratch IMO I would just be adding a check valved breather to lawn boys setup and adding a check valve to the tee'd valve covers hoses.I just think its better to have clean air inlet filters, verses having a oily one ?
I dont even know if there is such a monster as a check valved breather LOL
Old 05-11-2010, 06:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Catch cans?

Does ANYbody know who makes these catch cans?
Old 05-11-2010, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Ttt

Nobody can help me? I know one of you will know who makes theses catch cans LOL
Old 05-12-2010, 02:17 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by barnat
Does ANYbody know who makes these catch cans?
https://ls1tech.com/forums/generatio...n-74-95-a.html

=zoom= makes these catch cans

Quick Reply: a PCV layout for a boosted engine