Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a PCV layout for a boosted engine

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2010, 02:48 PM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NemesisC5

In theory this will always have a source of vacuum through your catch can whether in boost or not. You will always have a source of fresh air pull through with the breather as well. Check it out and punch some holes in the theory, I will be all to happy to hear of how I can make improvements
Am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb design?
Old 01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SKINNY69
Am I the only one that thinks this is a dumb design?
Let's hear your explaination of why its dumb.

That is how I have always planned on doing mine when I stop being lazy. This setup pulls constant vacuum, from the TB out of boost (but not thru the turbo due to the check valve) and from the turbo when in boost but doesn't allow boost to blow back thru the tb line because of the other check valve.
Old 01-03-2010, 11:14 PM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default my PCV set up

Yeah i did a lot of research and testing The LS1 with forced induction, OK me and my engine builder believe in PCV during idel and part throttle, around town and cruse driving.

Ok a PCV system keeps the oil clean, gets the mosture and contaimants out of the oil.

2 years ago when i removed my PCV completly and just had a breather on the valve cover oil fill neck , i was smelling gas vapers, and it was stinking a little. I didnt like it at all.

OK here is the best Imop street/race LS1/LS6/LS2 etc set up that we came up with. This is the best you can do without going with a scavenge pump set up.

OK i am running a LS6 block and LS6 vally cover, my vally cover port is connected to a 3/8 or 5/16 (not sure) rubber hose with LS6 PCV valve inplace to my AnW catch can, out of the catch can is another 3/8-5/16 hose with a GN boost metal check valve , on the other end of the check valve a 3/8-5/16 rubber line goes to the LS6 PCV port.

ok this with give you air circulation out of the vally to the intake to keep oil fresh and clean during 95% of your driving during idel and part throttle driving.
The GN check will lock up during positive pressure, Boost, Preventing boost to presureize back into the crank case through the LS6 Vally cover. Simple , works Perfect and NO problems what so ever.
Ok i know there sounds like there is a lot going on here , but realy not, The reason for the LS6 vally cover is because it does have a built in oil baffel, it kinda works, lets say it helps, ok the reason for the PCV valve is because i was getting so much vacume , the catch can was getting some oil in it ,(1/2 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) PCV valve is a vacume reducer and limits/reduces some of the vacume and holds oil back, prevents oil flow , suspose to let only oil vapors through, lets say this only helps the LS1 PCV oil problems too. OK the PCV valve and vally cover helps control oil from getting into the intake about 70% better but not to my standards, (now only a 1/4 inch of oil in catch can after 500 miles) now this is where the NON vented ANW catch can shines, it stops about 95% of the oil vaper/mist after the vally cover and PCV valve. any that gets through my methano injection will wash away,

OK but you still need the engine to be able to vent during boost/full open throttle pulls,
most of us put a breather of some kind on the oil filler neck, this is good, but on my old combo i was getting some oil mist on my coils etc , dirty and ulgy,

I came up with this, I ran two 3/8" rubber lines, one off each valve cover to a vented catch can, the can has two 3/8" ports. The can i am using has a built in baffel so NO oil vaper-mist will come out of it when the crankcase is venting.

This set up has worked the best OVER everything i tryed, and tested, i even tryed a few set ups that i researched here on ls1tech, some worked ok or somewhat but not 100%

my set up so far has been 100% reliable and works flawlessley

My friends car was stinking bad the other day , he also removed his PCV system and ran a breather, brand new 408 with a F1-C, he said his car is a race car and dont need a PCV system i said ok, 3 months later he invites me over wants to check out my car, just got it back from dyno SD tune, he first noticed my PCV set up and liked it ,
asked me if i am getting fumes into the car, after i said no way , we ended up in his garage for 2 hours , seting his PCV system like mine, LOL
Old 01-04-2010, 11:13 AM
Launching!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by blacksi
Let's hear your explaination of why its dumb.

That is how I have always planned on doing mine when I stop being lazy. This setup pulls constant vacuum, from the TB out of boost (but not thru the turbo due to the check valve) and from the turbo when in boost but doesn't allow boost to blow back thru the tb line because of the other check valve.
With the breather filter on the valve cover the whole pvc system is useless. It creates no vaccuum on the crankcase and just draws unmetered air into the engine through the breather. IMO it's a waste of time/money to run a catch can setup if the pressure of the crankcase is zero.
Old 01-04-2010, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

With the breather filter on the valve cover the whole pvc system is useless. It creates no vaccuum on the crankcase and just draws unmetered air into the engine through the breather. IMO it's a waste of time/money to run a catch can setup if the pressure of the crankcase is zero.
PCV, but yeah its probably not creating much of a vacuum but it will keep the pesky smoke and oil smell from leaking out the breather. Which is probably the main reason I am going to get mine on this winter. So I don't smell like i've been working on the car just because I'm driving it with the windows down.
Old 01-04-2010, 04:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

if you have too much vacuum or seal the system completely it will draw air in from other paces like front or rear seals. its noisy and not good for the seals. been there.

you always want a place to bleed off vacuum unless you are building a dragster.. and even then you want to be able to meter it.
Old 01-04-2010, 05:03 PM
On The Tree

Im not sure if this has been said but Honda brake booster check valves are in line as well as other imports.
Old 01-04-2010, 11:43 PM
Restricted User

Default Pcv

IMOP the breather can is awasome, mine has a baffel in it to, my PCV is being pulled from my valley, (stops all the stinky gas fumes etc, without it, it smells like fuel/oil ) and fresh air is comming in through the breather can, STOCK it comes in from the Throttle body port so its not realy a seald system to start off with.

ok under boost The inline GN check valve closes preventing any boost to back flow into the vally cover/crankcase

The two 3/8 lines comming from each valve cover vents any PCV/blow by/pressure under boost to the breather can .

Trust me i been through this for years, tryed everything, this is the only set up that i am 100% happy with.

Looks Great very clean set up, has a custome race look to it

And every part that makes my PCV/Breather system work,is worth every penny
Old 01-05-2010, 03:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
OK i am running a LS6 block and LS6 vally cover, my vally cover port is connected to a 3/8 or 5/16 (not sure) rubber hose with LS6 PCV valve inplace to my AnW catch can, out of the catch can is another 3/8-5/16 hose with a GN boost metal check valve , on the other end of the check valve a 3/8-5/16 rubber line goes to the LS6 PCV port.

This is more or less how I have mine set up, and I think it's pretty well thought out and has been working great for a long time now.

I don't have the LS6 valley cover so I'm using the stock line from the valve covers->Greddy catch can->stock PCV valve->McMaster check valve->intake port behind TB.

I also have a line from the front of the pass side valve cover to the inlet hat of the ProCharger. This pulls vacuum on the crankcase during high throttle/boost, and the McMaster check valve prevents the crankcase being boosted via the PCV line.

The system is totally sealed, and the crankcase is vented by whichever is pulling a stronger vacuum - intake manifold during normal driving or ProCharger air inlet hat during boost/heavy throttle.

Hope this is helpful.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-06-2010, 12:02 PM
12 Second Club

Just to follow this up, the McMaster Carr check valve I'm using is :

P/N # 7775k52

7775K52
Brass Spring-Loaded Piston Check Valve 1/4" NPTF Dryseal Fem Conn, Fluoroelastomer Seat
In stock at $13.38 Each

Be sure to pay attention to the size - there are 1/4" and 3/8" (and other) sizes. I think the line I'm using for my PCV is 3/8" fuel line.

You then need two male barbed ends (can be found anywhere that sells hydraulic fittings like Dixieline/Home Depot/Lowes) to connect it into the PCV line.

Here are a couple of other threads where I've chimed in on this :

Which valve and setup :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...i-need-do.html

Making sure this check valve is within vacuum spec (opens at .3 psi) :
https://ls1tech.com/forums/forced-in...strictive.html

Cheers,
Rob (Bad30th)

Last edited by Bad30th; 01-06-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:34 PM
Restricted User

Default Bad30th

Bad30th is on the money and his PCV system will work great too.

I had my car with old combo, stock motor (LS1) and D1-sc 9psi, 550+ RWHP
pcv system set up like his, worked good but didnt like the oil vapor,mist, residue getting on the inside of the inlet hat,Filter, intercoolers and plumbing.

On the new Motor (Forged built/LS6) D1-sc meth injected 776/697 uncorected and 740/667 SAE corected RWHP @ 15 psi and VP-M5 Race methanol.

I am running a Vented breather catch can i have one 3/8" line comming off each valve cover , and my breather can has two 3/8" intake barbs,
No more oil in my filter, inlet hat or intercoolers.

IMOP u dont need to suck out PCV with the procharger inlet hat or turbo. Procharger did this for emisions etc so oil PCV vapor etc will get recirulated back into the motor, but it dirties up the air filter and getting oil in your intercoolers is not the best thing for a "Tuned" car.

venting the valve covers to a Breather can, works fine, if any pressure was to build up in the crankcase under boost it will escape from the valve covers 3/8 lines to the breather can, sucking it out isnt nessary,

there is a test that a guy did on LS1tech and posted it awhile ago, he put a vacume/boost gauge on the valve cover through a port that he fixed to it and ran it into his car, so he could read if his motor was seeing any boost , i think he was seeing 1-2 psi befor his check valve opened on his homemade breather system.

before that he said his crankcase was seeing 3-4 psi under boost,
to me this is too much, but would never happen with my 3/8 lines running to the breather can.

also some loose motors will have more blow by compared to a motor built for boost .

I will try a test to , and tap somehow into the LS6 vally cover with a vac/boost hand held test gauge and see if any pressure builds up under a pull.

By the way my set up was approved by The Vette Doctors and Merkel racing engines
Old 01-06-2010, 03:01 PM
12 Second Club

FWIW I don't get very much oil mist into the blower hat (and have never seen anything on the impeller or past the blower) - the only time the inlet hat line has a greater vacuum than the other line is during boost.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 01-06-2010, 03:23 PM
Restricted User

I hear ya Rob, But i want "NO" oil vaper in my intake tract, My old 3.5 intercoolers had a film of oil on them, not what i want.

I learned that setting up a LSX's PCV system is a big part in the tunning.

I think we all learned something
Old 01-06-2010, 03:50 PM
TECH Regular

So you have to catch can's lawn boy? One vented / one not vented?
Your vented catch can is connected to both valve covers... and your non-vented is connected to the ls6 valley cover to the ls6 pcv port??
Just a basic understanding of how yours is?
Old 01-06-2010, 04:55 PM
Restricted User

U got it Ryan

On the PCV line from the LS6 intake to the AnW (non Vented) catch can is my GN boost check valve,

On the PCV line from the LS6 valley cover to the (non Vented) catch can is a LS6 PCV valve and rubber holder with plastic 5/16 line that was made for the stock LS6 valley cover set up , its a U-loop vally cover to intake. I bouht the LS6 PCV valve and harness from sconggen dicky , crazy expensive i think it was $100, and i had to cut the plastic loop off so it was straight,
In the end my set up works perfect,and i am happy with it
Old 01-06-2010, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Damn I bought the wrong thing earlier in the year :/ and trying to figure out how to make a good pcv layout with:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1356
But yours seemed to look good, and I thought you said vented for the one catch can and I was just gonna plan on picking up one more non-vented.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:35 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Ryan33187
Damn I bought the wrong thing earlier in the year :/ and trying to figure out how to make a good pcv layout with:
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...html?item=1356
But yours seemed to look good, and I thought you said vented for the one catch can and I was just gonna plan on picking up one more non-vented.
You can still use your can, just T both lines from the valve covers into the can. That is one expensive *** can though and you could've save a lot of money buying a different one. You can pick up a mike norris non vented can for $95 shipped for the valley/pcv connection and use the mcmaster check valve which would also save you money over the GN valve lawn boy uses.
Old 01-06-2010, 08:43 PM
Restricted User

I used all proven parts that i checked out with my own eyes first, After building a expensive LS6 Forged motor Y skimp on the PCV system,
Old 01-07-2010, 10:10 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Lawnboy
I used all proven parts that i checked out with my own eyes first, After building a expensive LS6 Forged motor Y skimp on the PCV system,
I'm not sure what you mean but none of the parts above I would consider skimping.

The AMW catch can is nice, but the Mike Norris can is pretty nice too and THOUSANDS of members on here and other sites know of it and use it daily. The check valve is a check valve so let's not kid ourselves here. We don't need a brand name, just functionality.
Old 01-07-2010, 10:22 AM
12 Second Club

I think a major difference between some of these designs is the breather element.

I want the PCV system consistently evacuating the crankcase with a vacuum, and if there's an open breather anywhere in the system there isn't a vacuum on the crankcase (or at least it's a lot lower vacuum and a lot less effective).

If you're just venting to atmosphere just stick a breather on the valve cover and get rid of the PCV altogether, IMHO. Drawing vacuum on an open system and pulling air into your motor through the breather certainly isn't as effective at venting your crankcase as a closed system, and it's only gonna make a mess when the oil mist and air goes the other way out through it...

Put a hole in the side of your McDonalds straw and then take a drink of your Coke through it, you'll see what I mean.

Just some thoughts.
Rob (Bad30th)

Quick Reply: a PCV layout for a boosted engine