Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

a PCV layout for a boosted engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 03:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

None of these suggestions would work if your running an MAF Blow through tune...
actually, none of these appear to work properly with any MAF vehicle as any air pulled around is un-metered, is everyone SD?... is there a different setup to accommodate for this? or am i missing something here...

I would think a crankcase vacuum scavenge external pump system was the only way ESPECIALLY when you start putting 'cute' k&N's somewhere to the atmosphere.

Sorry if I dug this out of the grave...

Last edited by vmapper; 06-04-2010 at 04:00 PM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by vmapper
None of these suggestions would work if your running an MAF Blow through tune...
actually, none of these appear to work properly with any MAF vehicle as any air pulled around is un-metered, is everyone SD?... is there a different setup to accommodate for this? or am i missing something here...

I would think a crankcase vacuum scavenge external pump system was the only way ESPECIALLY when you start putting 'cute' k&N's somewhere to the atmosphere.

Sorry if I dug this out of the grave...
The amount is very negligible and the computer will adjust, this topic has been beaten to death.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 05TurboCGM
The amount is very negligible and the computer will adjust, this topic has been beaten to death.
Im sure Banish would dislike this answer.

Negligible? Really? Last time I changed to and open PCV the idle went haywire, did a scan.. and the computer pulled timing big time to bring it back... thats becuase its UN METERED air. Maybe a pinhole, but your talking a considerable CFM count. Every tweaked table would be out in regards to cylinder volume and the Proper tune is out to lunch.
As mentioned... NOT running SD, but MAF only... I would not compromise, espeically on a blown car, to 'LET the computer handle the 'un' metered air leak.

So your HOPING, ONLY if your in Closed loop, that the Narrow band O2s see this extra air and enrich?

I think if it was beaten to death and the conclusion was 'negligible' and the computer was to adjust is a naive conclusion and clearly dont know the details of the ECM.
Old 06-06-2010, 01:45 PM
Teching In

so this was a tad dizzying to a pcv layman like me. also i'm more of a visual learner. so like is this what most of you would agree works.
Old 06-06-2010, 08:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, when I look at that diagram I think,
It would work if you are running SD (Speed Density Tune)...
Will not if your running with a tune that uses a MAF.

And again.. I want to know why 05TurboCGM likes to create vacuum leaks for his ECM to adjust for, causing the inability to get the BEST out of a tune... I wish Greg Banish would post on this.
Old 06-07-2010, 09:18 AM
12 Second Club

No need for Greg Banish to come save the day, LOL. My setup doesn't allow unmetered air (which is one of the reasons I don't use a breather in the PCV system). Post #49 in this thread. There are a million ways to do this, and a million different opinions on how to do it. This topic gets beat to death.

Just like every other post on this board, read and make an educated decision for yourself.

Rob (Bad30th)
Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM
Teching In

so what would you change for a maf setup? from my understanding at idle the setup would work as normal, fresh air in the blue line and vented to the throttle body by the red, then under boost the check valve would close off the one line but the turbo would pull the crank pressure through the blue line and recirculate it back in through the maf? where would the unmetered air come in?
Old 06-07-2010, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Bad30th
No need for Greg Banish to come save the day, LOL. My setup doesn't allow unmetered air (which is one of the reasons I don't use a breather in the PCV system). Post #49 in this thread. There are a million ways to do this, and a million different opinions on how to do it. This topic gets beat to death.

Just like every other post on this board, read and make an educated decision for yourself.

Rob (Bad30th)
Rob, can you help me understand where the air is drawn from the crankcase when your at full throttle and the vacuum path is being pulled from the passenger valve cover?
what Im saying is, where is the fresh air coming from? or are you actually creating a vacuum within the crankcase? (not a ventilation so to speak and then creating a vacuum in the crankcase via manifold during light throttle and idle.
Like a double sided vacuum? - I suppose that would work, not really circulation of air.. but always under vac?
Am I understanding that right?
You dont need to re-explain.. As I see you have done a decent job prior, and what I wrote above is what you are getting at. an Actual Vacuum vs circulation.

Last edited by vmapper; 06-07-2010 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 03:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
so what would you change for a maf setup? from my understanding at idle the setup would work as normal, fresh air in the blue line and vented to the throttle body by the red, then under boost the check valve would close off the one line but the turbo would pull the crank pressure through the blue line and recirculate it back in through the maf? where would the unmetered air come in?
The air is being pulled PRE-turbo (your blue line), thats un-metered air that is let into the manifold during idle through the catch can.. through the crank case then the check valve into the manifold... bypassing any MAF setup.
In pressurization, its dead.. check valve preventing circulation and you create a vacuum in the crankcase... I guess is fine.. but idle (high manifold vacuum) its pulling air pre-turbo.
Thats what i get out of that diagram... only works half time.

Last edited by vmapper; 06-07-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:49 AM
TECH Regular

What would you suggest for a post MAF fresh air source that doesn't pressurize your crank case under boost?

Besides the vacuum leak doesn't exist under boost.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:25 PM
Teching In

ok, so at vacuum the blue line is just like having a breather attached. i guess thats where the sts setup uses the pressure switch and bypass valve?
Old 06-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Teching In

this may sound stupid but, whats the deal with evo's n sti's pcv vs ours?
Old 06-08-2010, 04:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Aster
What would you suggest for a post MAF fresh air source that doesn't pressurize your crank case under boost?

Besides the vacuum leak doesn't exist under boost.
the only conclusion i can come up with is install a Crank case vacuum pump system. You can not go Post MAF as that is bypassing your metering via crankcase, especially someone running MAF only based on values in the ECM. I guess go SD and tune the 'leak' in is the other alternative.

Here is over 800 posts of hell:
http://www.iwsti.com/forums/2-5-lite...ns-thread.html

Last edited by vmapper; 06-08-2010 at 05:07 PM. Reason: added url link
Old 06-08-2010, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by eodmonkey
so this was a tad dizzying to a pcv layman like me. also i'm more of a visual learner. so like is this what most of you would agree works.
I think if you also had a catch can in the line that goes to the intake manifold as well, then it would be a good pcv system.

Quick Reply: a PCV layout for a boosted engine