Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My build - Lots of pics

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2012, 07:21 AM
9 Second Club

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Small update time! We haven't had as much time as we would like to work on the car lately, but its been moving forward still. A couple of weeks ago I was out there working, mostly on the fuel system. I started out by changing all of the fittings on the rails and regulator

Here is the old regulator fitting on the left (-6) next to the new one on the right (-8)

Next up was the fuel rails, old -6 on left and new -10 on right.

After that I added some restrictors to the cooling system behind the block adapters. I took a picture of the stock gasket, and completely forgot to take one of the restrictors. Ill get some next weekend for you guys.

Since I still didnt feel like getting under the car to do any work, I made up a little mount for the new "Y" adapter and mounted it.

Then I finally got un-lazy, and got under the car to pull out the old fuel lines.

Last year we had a -8 feed which split to two -6 for each rail, then -6 to the regulator, and -6 return. This year we are -10 to each rail, -8 to the regulator, -8 return.

While I was under the car I got a couple good pics of the new pump and filters

That brings us up to this weekend. This was again a very short weekend, but we made progress. I did not get very many pics because I decided to shred my hand with an angle grinder, but I will catch up next weekend.

Here you can see all of the rear sheet metal is finally closed in, including the sump.

After we finished that, Chris's girlfriend Rachel seam sealed it all while we ate pizza

Chris got the new ECU mounted, and started on the main electrical panel as well. I modified the radiator (AGAIN), and made the new drain for the turbo.

Next weekend we hope to get started on the wiring, and get most of the plumbing done on the car. As always thanks for following along!

Sean
Old 05-14-2012, 08:14 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Broke EF

After we finished that, Chris's girlfriend Rachel seam sealed it all while we ate pizza
My kinda woman! Lol, looking good guys!
Old 05-14-2012, 07:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Just spent the last 5 hours reading the whole thread, great write up and project looking forward to seeing the final product.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:29 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Tuckin15s
Just spent the last 5 hours reading the whole thread, great write up and project looking forward to seeing the final product.

So are we! Too bad it will never be a final product

Thanks, Chris
Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM
9 Second Club

Well work continues on the TA. We have been busy and/or sick the last few weeks, so things are going a little slow for my taste. Its getting there though, and we are in the home stretch. I don't have the power cable for my laptop, so I will just go ahead with the pictures from this past weekend.

This is not the final oil feed for the turbo, its just there because it reached.

The line tied off to the fire wall is the breather from the driverside valve cover

Catch can I made up. Just need the clear tubing for the sight on the side.

Vent and return line from the cell to the bulkhead fittings in the rear sheet metal

This is the -12 feed that comes from the cell into the pre-filter

Same -12 out of the pre-filter into the pump

-10 from out of the pump into the post-filter on its way to the front

Main fuel feed

That's all for now, as you can see its getting pretty close! Thanks again for following along!

Sean
Old 06-05-2012, 02:10 PM
Staging Lane

WOW! I just finished reading this at work. You guys do Great Work! I have a question about your first setup. Did you have any problems with drain back on the turbo with it mounted that low? Where is your return running? Keep it up I love all the pics.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:42 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by hdkarmy
WOW! I just finished reading this at work. You guys do Great Work! I have a question about your first setup. Did you have any problems with drain back on the turbo with it mounted that low? Where is your return running? Keep it up I love all the pics.

The return goes to the front of the oil pan. There was a slope, but it was not great. On deceleration there would be some smoke, but from alot of reading i did, the turbo only wants around 20-25 psi of oil, and we have alot more then that. After restricting it down, it was alot better.
Old 06-11-2012, 07:35 AM
Staging Lane

Thanks, great info.
Old 06-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Staging Lane

So to fit that massive intake you had to do a bunch of cutting, but did you have to lower the motor at all or did it just squeeze in there? Amazing build and great info! One of the best builds I have seen on here.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:18 PM
TECH Resident

I think they cut the cowl completely off

Because, RACECAR.

If you look at the how to diy a truck mani sticky Killer-LS1 didn't do a bunch of cutting.
Old 06-11-2012, 11:27 PM
On The Tree

i see you used summit fittings what brand of line did you use? just asking since i ordered some (dont remember if it was summit or jegs brand) but i was not happy with it
Old 06-11-2012, 11:47 PM
TECH Regular

^^ Yea the -6 and smaller is a major PITA to get together
Old 06-12-2012, 05:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by fuzz_dude
So to fit that massive intake you had to do a bunch of cutting, but did you have to lower the motor at all or did it just squeeze in there? Amazing build and great info! One of the best builds I have seen on here.
To just fit the intake, we didn't have to cut all that much. We cut everything to save the weight. I want to say that I have seen other with this intake, and retain the wipers. The motor is in its stock location, and sitting on Midwest Chassis solid motor mounts. The intake is a bit of a tight fit, but goes in and out relatively easy. I had it in and out a few times this weekend even.

Originally Posted by TheLS1Lover
I think they cut the cowl completely off

Because, RACECAR.

If you look at the how to diy a truck mani sticky Killer-LS1 didn't do a bunch of cutting.
That pretty much sums it up. You can easily do a truck manifold setup without cutting anything really. When we did the first kit we only cut the radiator support to stand up the radiator for more room. Its been done with the stock radiator in the stock location though, just need to be creative. At this point in the car we have cut a lot of things, out of a lot of places. It just makes life much easier when working on the car.

Originally Posted by slowblackbird
i see you used summit fittings what brand of line did you use? just asking since i ordered some (dont remember if it was summit or jegs brand) but i was not happy with it
Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
^^ Yea the -6 and smaller is a major PITA to get together
Yes its is 99% Summit fittings, and Summit hose. We have a few Figurola (I think that's what it is), and some Earls fittings in there as well; also the -3 line is Earls. The car has almost every AN size on it, -3 (brakes), -4 (Oil feed, steam vent), -6 (trans cooler lines), -8 (fuel return), -10 (turbo drain, fuel feed, breathers), -12 (radiator lines), and -16 (water pump to radiator). The smaller it is, the harder to put together. I can do -16 almost completely by hand! The summit fittings and line have worked fine for us so far. With as much AN as is in this car it would cost a small fortune to use anything else. They go together pretty easy (you learn some tricks here and there over time), and don't seem to leak. Cant really ask for much more than that!

Thanks for following along guys!

Sean
Old 06-14-2012, 10:50 AM
On The Tree

Thanks for the info on the lines. What I got may have come from jeg's, the braid on the hose was not tight and it had some sticking up a little bit.

Another question. I have been thinking about getting rid of my ls6 intake and go to this one. But I want to run it backwards with the intercooler in the car, do you think it would fit with the stock winsheild? I don't want to change the windshield since it is going to be a streetable race car but I want to run the intake backwards to clean up some of the tubing under the hood
Old 06-14-2012, 11:40 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by slowblackbird
Thanks for the info on the lines. What I got may have come from jeg's, the braid on the hose was not tight and it had some sticking up a little bit.

Another question. I have been thinking about getting rid of my ls6 intake and go to this one. But I want to run it backwards with the intercooler in the car, do you think it would fit with the stock winsheild? I don't want to change the windshield since it is going to be a streetable race car but I want to run the intake backwards to clean up some of the tubing under the hood
No problem! I am sure that there is nicer line out there, but for us it has been absolutely fine. We have made lots of changes over the years, and even without that just amount of line that's in the car, its a very significant savings using the Summit fittings and lines. Now, if we had problems with them it would go right out the window, but so far so good as I said.

You could run the intake backwards without problems clearing the windshield. However you will have to make a box around it, and I don't know how easy that will be with the windshield in place. It is probably do-able, but doesn't seem worth the effort to me. I would either run a lexan windshield with a dog box around the TB so you have access to everything. OR I would run the stock windshield and the intake facing forward. If you didn't know, the TA has the stock windshield in it still, has never been out.

Sean
Old 06-14-2012, 05:00 PM
TECH Regular

Any tips on getting -4 and -6 lines together? It takes me forever to get the hole big enough in the line to get the tip with threads on through it
Old 06-14-2012, 09:05 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 89ROC-Z
Any tips on getting -4 and -6 lines together? It takes me forever to get the hole big enough in the line to get the tip with threads on through it
Eh, not really. Ill run you through how I make them, maybe that will help. I wrap the line with electrical tape nice and tight, usually just two wraps. Then I cut it with a sharpened mason chisel and a block of aluminum under the hose. After I cut it I usually try and squeeze the ends that get deformed from the cut to make it round again. Then I pull the tape off (but I have left it on) and put the nut on. Sometimes before I put the nut on I put the threaded piece in and kind of flare out the end. Another little trick I guess on smaller line, once the nut is on if the rubber part doesn't look good I will push it to the outside with a small screwdriver. Then I spray the threaded end with a good amount of WD-40, and maybe a little shot into the hose. Then just carefully insert it into the hose, making sure that it is actually IN the hose, and not pushing down on it. Then when I start to thread it in I make sure that the nut is not moving over the hose at all.

To assemble I will put the nut in the vice with smooth jaws, and a paper towel around the fitting. Then I use either a wrench, or a crescent wrench with electrical tape on it for tightening the fitting together. There are times where I will have to assemble them on the car, and I just use two wrenches, or crescent wrenches, or a combo of the both. Before anyone says anything, the ONLY reason I use a crescent wrench is because I am making so many lines, and so many different sizes it makes it a little easier to have one tool around.

So I guess I have a trick or two but mostly its just having done a LOT you get used to it. I will say that -3 still sucks The smaller the line the more of a pain in the *** it is, but -6 is not so bad. I haven't done -4 in a while, but I have some to do this weekend. Hope that helps you some!

Sean
Old 06-14-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

I just spent my Entire night reading this entire build thread! Its amazing to see how much work has gone into that thing! Absolutely SICK!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:27 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
I just spent my Entire night reading this entire build thread! Its amazing to see how much work has gone into that thing! Absolutely SICK!
LOL that must have taken some time! Thanks for checking it out. Its been a lot of work, but also even more fun! Thanks for the kind words, and it should be much easier to keep up now that you're up to speed.

Sean
Old 06-15-2012, 08:47 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Broke EF
LOL that must have taken some time! Thanks for checking it out. Its been a lot of work, but also even more fun! Thanks for the kind words, and it should be much easier to keep up now that you're up to speed.

Sean
Anytime! It makes me want to put a turbo in my lt1 camaro even more now. Itll also make it easier to keep up to date now that im subscribed

Quick Reply: My build - Lots of pics