Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

9's on a budget?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2003, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 9's on a budget?

Budget: $12,000 + sale of current motor

Basic Plan: 382 Stroker/Stage III heads/Procharger D1-SC/Large Intercooler/F.A.S.T System/lucky rabbits foot.

The goal: 9.70 @ 140.52 mph with 18+ lbs of boost. That equates to 800hp in a 3700lbs car.

Can I hit the numbers?
What special prep work does the motor need for alot of boost?
Best head specs for boost?

I am asking these questions to the members of this board in hopes of comparing it to what the sponsors are telling me. They may reccomend it, the may build it, but they sure as hell dont have to race it or pay for it. I do. So how about a bit of advice.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Default Re: 9's on a budget?

I think I would go with an F1 blower for that setup. A friend of mine with an LT1 396, Fast, and an F1 just put down 705 at the wheels on a dynojet with about 15 pounds of boost. Good Luck!

-Geoff
Old 07-10-2003, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Just out of curiousity, if you're looking for 9s on a budget why not go nitrous/weight shaving route? FI is definitely the coolest way to get faster, but not the cheapest route.

You might be able to save a little money by backing down from stage III heads and going with 77cc chamber stage II heads. The nice advantage of of the stage two is they have the upgraded intake and exhaust valves that will handle the heat of FI better. They flow very well. By getting low compression chambers you'll be able to run more boost safely. 77cc chambers will get you down around (8.9-9.1)-1 which is far more blower friendly. Then with the money you save on the stage III heads you can invest in forged blower pistons and rods. Getting low compression pistons will give you the ability to get your CR to 8.5-1 which most consider the idle CR for street/strip FI setups.

Make sure your block is built to handle the power. You plan on going with an iron block? Resleeving the aluminum block?

Hope this helps you out. I'm sure others will have their own ideas of how to build a good blower motor. This is just the plan I'll be going with, once I get the money :p

Mike

Old 07-10-2003, 10:59 AM
Launching!

You don't want to go too big or you'll lose some low end power. I'm in the process of building a similar setup for my car. 382 kit, D-1SC, stage II LQ9 heads, R1 cam. I'm going to keep it around 10-12#'s though. As far as your motor goes, I'd get the tops of the pistons coated, have the block o-ringed, get head and main studs, rod bolts. I know you were wanting to keep it on a budget but if you're going to run that much boost you're going to have to fortify your motor to handle it or you'll be sitting on a time bomb. Good luck.
Old 07-10-2003, 11:46 AM
TECH Resident

It always cracks me up about the cheapo's on this site who think that they can go real fast by cutting corners. Th esad truth is that many have tried to go fast on a limited budget but have blown up their cars/motors because of that very fact. Your best bet I guess would not be a 382 with a blower by a long shot. The crank alone is big $$$ and the stock one will work fine. The cheapest route to 9's would be a forged high CR 346, with a big shot of juice, and an A3. Big Mike went 9.98 @ 135 with that same setup and a 3600 raceweight. But again setting yourself for nine's isn't cheap: 10 point cage, heavy duty suspension, battery kill etc.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:10 PM
JTM
TECH Regular

You could go 9's EASY on $12,000. But the parts you listed easily exceed $12,000.
Old 07-10-2003, 12:47 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Budget: $12,000 + sale of current motor

Basic Plan: 382 Stroker/Stage III heads/Procharger D1-SC/Large Intercooler/F.A.S.T System/lucky rabbits foot.

The goal: 9.70 @ 140.52 mph with 18+ lbs of boost. That equates to 800hp in a 3700lbs car.
how about a bit of advice.
I'm going to value your motor at $3000 just to come up with a number.

So you will say have $15,000 to use as a budget.

Longblock:
$3000 rotating assembly + $600 block + $1000 in miscellaneous parts and machining + $500 for cam + $2500 for 6.0 heads
=$7600

Blower:
I'd get a F1 tuner kit if there is such a thing, the stock D1 intercoolers are too small it seems for that HP level... So let's say
= $4000 (I have no idea)

Headers:
$1000 for big step headers

FAST:
$2000 for bank to bank + $350 Edist + $350 Cartek crank signal box or you need an MSD crank trigger

=$15,000 TOTAL

I think my engine $$$ are low, I think a 382ci realistically will run ~$10K on a budget.

I did a 9.1:1 348ci motor with 6.0 heads, with all the best internals except aftermarket main caps, and I used a stock crank. I am installing a Vortech YS Trim which is the same as a F1 but it can be spun a little higher.

Old 07-10-2003, 01:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

I agree with PSJ. You have a really nice car to put all this on with the rear and tranny already in, but unless you can do almost all of this your self I think it's going to cost you more than your thinking... it always does

as far a prepping the motor for fi I think it's pretty standard. Lower compression with kick @$$ pistons and rods (I'm at to 8.5:1 now) and go with a recomended cam. I would say you can definetly hit your goal of 800hp. You just might need a little more funding.

Old 07-10-2003, 04:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Damn! I have never been called a "cheapo" in my life. I guess the $12K I have spent on prepping the car for bigger horsepower (tranny,rearend,cage,wheels,slicks,shocks,springs, swaybar,torque arm, etc.etc.) is pretty low budget to a high roller like LV. (just kidding, I appreciate the advice...just not the cheapo comment!)

I really want to keep the car 100% debt free, and spending more money is impossible. So I guess I will have to rethink the nitrous motor. Thanks for the input.
Old 07-10-2003, 07:30 PM
TECH Apprentice

The associated parts to go nines i think are going to hold you up for the 12 k budget. In my honest opinion I would take a look at a big bore setup to unshroud some big nasty heads and run nitrous. Your going to save a bunch of money this way reasoning is a direct port kit costs what 2k plumbed etc.. I just think for the want of making the car hammer down big numbers on a 12k budget is going to be cutting it very close.

What are you planning for a fuel system?

If doing the blower and knowing you are shooting for nines I would do like above said and get the f1. Are you going to the cogged belt?*extra money to invest..

What are you planning trany wise? (oops saw your running a 400 make sure the converter is set for your new engine..)
Is your suspension already set and capable of handling 9's? I see the wolfe bar but what about t/a?
Steven
(either way good luck )
Old 07-10-2003, 09:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Check my sig, you can see that everything is pretty well handled in the suspension and transmission department. Plus I already have a cage (not legal for 9's, but that is easily added) so I do have a strong jumping off point as far as throwing horsepower at the car without worrying about flimsy rearends, clutchs, and inadequate fuel system.

Right now, leaning towards a possible ARE 396, and nitrous. Or, a simple 346 with a Procharger. Obviously something has got to give. If I want to run a blower, 9's is out of the question for now. Or build another VISA HOT ROD, like my last car. A 94 Z-28 with a Vortech and Converter...stolen in 1998. With the money I have spent on this SS, my old Z-28 would probley be running 9.50's right now. Oh well, he got 6 years in the ButtPirate Inn, only after he screwed the car up and totalled it.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:41 PM
7 Second Club

I say ARE big-bore,solid roller and a big shot.Then again I'm kind of biased.You could go nines with a ATI but it would cost probably 20-22k. The only proven way to go nines with a LSI powered car is with a bottle.Scott WS6 and PSJ will be interesting to watch this year.Hopefully the guy that stole your car gets violated nightly.
Old 07-10-2003, 09:44 PM
TECH Addict

Received 49 Likes on 18 Posts

Well the head unit for the F1 is 3400$. then you need to get a big front nount because the innercoolers arent big enough, I ran out at 15 psi and 600 rwhp. So I had to go with a bigger innercooler and custom piping for 22 psi. I also have the FAST system and that was $3500 from cartek installed. Motor/FAST/Blower and install your looking at more then 12K. motor is let say 10k all by itself. fast 3500 bblower big innercooler and piping is 5k thats 18,500.

Ill go 9's as soon as I fix my cinvertor and put the trans brake in.
Old 07-11-2003, 09:51 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,143 Likes on 743 Posts

Scott are you running a stock crank?

The 4.000 stroke crank is one of the reasons that the cost goes up, the cranks are averaging about $2000.

Now, if I pulled my motor someday to build something bigger, it would be to do a big bore aluminum motor with small stroke. The C6's are getting 4.000 bore aluminum blocks so if GM sells them at a reasonable price I could see getting one.
Old 07-11-2003, 05:29 PM
TECH Resident

TNT, sorry for the cheapo comment, I know you like many others have spent lots of $$ on your car and want to see it for fast. When building a motor for 9's, the only real way to do it is for moeny to not be an object or add up everything you think you need and maybe add 10k for "other stuff". I still think a forged 346 with beefy heads and maybe a solid roller with big shot will get you into the 9's for that price. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2003, 07:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Starting to think the same thing myself.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

I would run a stock displacement motor with good rods, main studs, 9:1 forged pistons, headstuds, good gaskets and good heads.

Get a large front mount cooler or if you are going mostly track only get an SMC water/alky kit.

F1 blower with custom mount would work.

Dont forget fuel system, injectors, possibly FAST engine management or Low imp box etc etc

It aint cheap.

With nitrous you just need a fuel system, TNT F2 kit, and the motor. WAY cheaper

I know of two guys running 9's on the TNT system now. One is 9.70@14Xmph.

Cheers,
Chris
Old 07-12-2003, 03:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well its about a coin flip.

ARE 396/Nitrous
ARE 346/Supercharger

Oh and the latest entry to the fold. My brother sent me an article about a 96 Z-28 with a 502 in it. Dont even open that can of worms!
Old 07-12-2003, 09:02 PM
Shorty Director

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well the crew told me 346ci.. I would take their suggestions..
Old 07-14-2003, 10:01 PM
Teching In

Check out our New Single Nozzle Dry Set up. This system comes with a single Large style Nitrous solenoid.Fast Lane was building this systems under contract for a State Highway Patrol Agency's LS1 equipped Interceptor's. The contract has run out and we are now selling them to the public. The name of the system is the LS1 Interceptor Dry System.

http://fastlanenitrous.com/efi.html

Quick Reply: 9's on a budget?