Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Paxton Viper - 672 rwhp 612 ft-lbs

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 02:04 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OMG, thats sick. The install does look factory, nice work by MTI. I hate coloured rims period but those white one's top off that car. Blends in with the stripes, I don't think you could have any nicer one's on there. All in all, I love that car and hate you Nineball for having that car. I wish

Just curious though why MTI never tuned it after the install? Do they not have a dyno?
Old 02-23-2008, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Johny GTO
what is "fmu"??

Fuel Management Unit. What the FMU does is controls the fuel back to the tank, or the return line. As the boost increases, it starts to close off the return line, thus increasing the pressure in the rails.

know for fat spots in the rpm band, and is known world wide for being a cheap way to make power. Reliable power is a grey area. Cheap honda guys have been blowing up engines with them for years.

In short, bandaid fix for not running bigger injectors with a tune.
Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
TECH Junkie

Nice setup Tony. I like the way it looks with the wheels and I am happy to see it didnt take too long to void that factory warranty
Old 02-23-2008, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

those fuel lines look ghetto on a car like that

time for some AN fittings

awesome results!
Old 02-23-2008, 03:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Websy21
OMG, thats sick. The install does look factory, nice work by MTI. I hate coloured rims period but those white one's top off that car. Blends in with the stripes, I don't think you could have any nicer one's on there. All in all, I love that car and hate you Nineball for having that car. I wish

Just curious though why MTI never tuned it after the install? Do they not have a dyno?
They may not have tuning software for them, there is not much out there for that application

Ryan
Old 02-23-2008, 05:03 PM
11 Second Club

Awesome car Congrats Tony.
and great work from MTI it looks like it came from the factory.
Old 02-23-2008, 05:46 PM
TECH Addict

fmu=fuel management unit, basically a boost-referenced fuel regulator that (generally) has greater than a 1 to 1 rise in fuel pressure relative to boost pressure. It's an old school way of richening the AFR when you add boost. More modern would be a 2 or 3-bar MAP sensor and the right injectors and software to inject the correct amount of fuel in per the speed density map.

Cool ride and clean install. I'm not sure about those white wheels, but if they're going to look good on ANY car, that would be the one.

Jim
Old 02-24-2008, 03:06 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Awesome numbers.
Old 02-24-2008, 04:34 AM
Launching!

Dang. Those are some impressive numbers.

Graphs?
Old 02-24-2008, 06:58 AM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 46 Likes on 19 Posts

The FMU is a simple way of doing things, but apparently it works okay on these cars. Vipers do not have the luxury of being easily tuned like the LSX cars. Most tuning either consists of a piggy-back module, or a handheld flash tuner similar to our Hypertech stuff. SCT makes a handheld that a custom tune can be installed into, but you can't tune on the fly like we can on LSX cars. The other alternative is a complete stand-alone system with its own engine wiring harness, which costs about $5000. I like the FMU vs that price

White wheels are simple to clean, they are powdercoated. Nothing really sticks to them, a dry microfiber cloth can wipe them clean. Easier to maintain than polished wheels, that is for sure.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:25 AM
TECH Resident

Nice numbers. I still regret not buying the 99 ACR I could have in 03 that had a salvaged title. Vehicle was stolen in CA but rcovered after insurance payed. Had new bumper cover installed and was mint otherwise with only 12k miles. The salvaged title scared me but the problem was getting financing. HSBC said no (my bank) and I did not know capital one finaced salvaged vehicles back then. My buddy wanted 39K. I ended up paying 34K for a goddamn Subaru.

On another note, where are the vids of that beast. That is by far the best color viper with the exception of maybe the new Lime Green color.
Old 02-24-2008, 07:34 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Nine Ball
The FMU is a simple way of doing things, but apparently it works okay on these cars. Vipers do not have the luxury of being easily tuned like the LSX cars. Most tuning either consists of a piggy-back module, or a handheld flash tuner similar to our Hypertech stuff. SCT makes a handheld that a custom tune can be installed into, but you can't tune on the fly like we can on LSX cars. The other alternative is a complete stand-alone system with its own engine wiring harness, which costs about $5000. I like the FMU vs that price

White wheels are simple to clean, they are powdercoated. Nothing really sticks to them, a dry microfiber cloth can wipe them clean. Easier to maintain than polished wheels, that is for sure.
Nice Viper!
It would be a great experiment to see how much extra horsepower you could get with an actual dyno tune. So far, the SCT looks to be the most promising, plus if the car is running fat the dyno tune would more than likely allow the rings to last longer. Bob
Old 02-24-2008, 11:45 AM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Nine Ball

Right on the money about the stand alone deal, AEM+harness adds up quickly. Before you know it you will have a TT setup and 1200rwhp
Old 02-24-2008, 12:08 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP
Right on the money about the stand alone deal, AEM+harness adds up quickly. Before you know it you will have a TT setup and 1200rwhp
hahahahahahhaa
Old 02-24-2008, 01:33 PM
9 Second Club

I have never been a huge fan of vipers, but that is a bad *** car for sure. The white wheels look great.

Chris
Old 02-24-2008, 02:41 PM
FormerVendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I tuned the Splitsec piggyback box on those when I worked for RSI, and with tweaking you can get 700 to 725 rwhp out of it. They paxton tune is for Cali 91 octane fuel ,and are super consevative. Rsi did a lot of those kits sometimes 2 a week. We never had a problem with the fmu units they work and have so very few moving parts, that they are super reliable.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:31 AM
Banned

Congrats on the new setup Tony.

Any 1/4 mile or track times?
Old 05-13-2008, 05:48 AM
Dumb Ass Vette Moderator

The install is very clean an ddoes look like a factory option. Very nice looking car Tony

Keith
Old 05-13-2008, 06:11 AM
7 Second Club

Very nice...saw it in Memphis. Your cars are always clean and well thought out.

How do you like the power vs handling compared to your Vette you had. I love the look of a Viper but everyone I talk says they are very cumbersome in turns/handling but the straightline torque is fun?

Mark
Old 05-13-2008, 10:42 AM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlwnTA
Very nice...saw it in Memphis. Your cars are always clean and well thought out.

How do you like the power vs handling compared to your Vette you had. I love the look of a Viper but everyone I talk says they are very cumbersome in turns/handling but the straightline torque is fun?

Mark
Weird, they do well around the ring

Quick Reply: Paxton Viper - 672 rwhp 612 ft-lbs