Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 07:42 PM
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey Nick. Yeah, that is Ians GTO.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

That GTO should have full boost around 2500 rpms with a 60-1 turbo. Can't think of this as a n/a car, it's a different animal. The trick to a good working rear mount is keeping your potential energy up (heat). The hotter it is the better the setup works.

My stock manifolds are flowing 900ish HP of exhaust. Here are all the things that a friend and I have been figured out through testing.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....71&postcount=2
Old 03-12-2008, 09:18 PM
FormerVendor

So this is what it seems are the normal STS characteristics. It seems to be if you want a great street car with good low end power and up to 550-600 RWHP, stay with the smaller turbo and a decent engine/exhaust setup. Should make full boost by 3000 RPM and nice steady torque & HP.

If you want a high horsepower package then it will require a bigger turbo which tends to make the operating range much smaller like a big HP Supra and pretty much be a roll on racer since from a dig you will most likely get spanked. If you have an auto at least you could use a trans brake to build boost I suppose.

I guess I have always been a low end torque guy and that is what a conventional turbo setup will give you no matter what the build. I will still have to do some of the basic testing for Ronnie to see if the engine is fit as far as the 5900 RPM drop is concerned.

Thanks again for all the info from everyone and time for me and Ronnie to get together and figure out his goals with all of this info.

Mike Norris
Old 03-15-2008, 02:39 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mike... Sorry I havent been on LS1Tech much recently... been busy here in Iraq. What do you want to know about my setup? Would be happy to share all...

Jared
Old 03-15-2008, 07:21 AM
FormerVendor

Hi Jared,

If you are over in Iraq then you have a lot more important things to think about then Ronnies car. You info on this is greatly appreciated as well as your service overseas.

I saw your post about 700 RWHP on pump gas and I could not find out much more info. Looking for a few basics.

How is the exhaust setup? (stock manifolds? piping size(s) to the turbo? wrapped or coated?)

What size turbos as well as compressor and turbine housings?

STS intercooler or custom? If custom what size?

How is the pressure side setup? (piping size(s) turbo to intercooler?, TB size, intake manifold style and size?)

Engine package? (cubic inch, compression, heads, camshaft)

Do you have a dyno graph based on RPM rather then MPH? With HP & TQ?

What RPM does boost start to build and what RPM does it peak at? How much boost?

This will help me compare to what I am up against so much. Thanks and be safe in Iraq.

Mike Norris
Old 03-15-2008, 11:39 AM
9 Second Club

Mike,

No worries... dont thank me. I am an over-paid contractor!! Thank all these guys in uniform over here (I will pass it on to some) that dont get paid crap and work their asses off!!! They are all my personal heros.. (Stepping off soapbox)

Ok... answers are below:

Originally Posted by Mike Norris
How is the exhaust setup? (stock manifolds? piping size(s) to the turbo? wrapped or coated?)
Both... Coated (and even slightly hand ported) stock manifolds, followed by custom SS 3" wrapped and coated exhaust to the Turbo.

What size turbos as well as compressor and turbine housings?
The current turbo is a PT88 with a .96 AR from Forced Inductions

STS intercooler or custom? If custom what size?
Current is a custom 1400HP rated intercooler.... last setup was a cheaper basic from TRT.

How is the pressure side setup? (piping size(s) turbo to intercooler?, TB size, intake manifold style and size?)
Custom intake, TB, dual side by side cold side from turbo to Intercooler... see pics.

Engine package? (cubic inch, compression, heads, camshaft)
Built 408 with Wiseco -32cc Dish pistons, 72cc stage one heads, custom Cam
Do you have a dyno graph based on RPM rather then MPH? With HP & TQ? Right around 8.2:1 CR.

What RPM does boost start to build and what RPM does it peak at? How much boost?
Ask Josh (From LMR) but boost is damn near instant, full boost around 3200 RPM depending on springs... etc.

Hope this helps... If you are looking for something less custom and more "STS" I can help with info there too... but would reccomend TRTurbo here on the board, he built me a STS Setup that pulled 607RWHP with a T-67, 6.0L Heads, GT-7 Cam, cheap intercooler, etc...
Old 05-17-2008, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Mike, have you solved your problems?
Old 05-18-2008, 08:47 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Vetal
Mike, have you solved your problems?
If you call my problems Mike's problems, they'll be worked through starting the 29th. He'll have the car for a couple weeks while I'm away. I simply haven't been home or had the time over the past couple months to make it 2.2 miles to the shop and drop off the car...LOL

We're going to retune for 14-16psi with a couple minor changes to the basic setup like fixing the methanol and changing a couple hot/cold side items, and I think that will prove to be more than enough as long as the heads stay down.

As it sits, it is completely overwhelming the tires to 4th gear. Freeway pulls are absolutely insane. I just want it to flatten out a bit and be ready for the suspension.
Old 05-18-2008, 06:38 PM
FormerVendor

Wow, had not checked this thread out in a while and the pics and info from longrange4u are very helpful and I can not thank you enough. as Ronnie mentioned, he is dropping the car off for a couple weeks to go through thing starting with checking out the viability of the engine and move forward from there.

Thanks again.

Mike Norris
Old 05-22-2008, 08:00 AM
On The Tree

I am subscribing to this one.... good stuff!
Old 09-20-2008, 07:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Schantin
It also reduced spool times from 3.5K to 2.8K for "full boost" because it allowed for "hotter/leaner" exhaust at part boost MAP values (110-125 or so).
Could you please explain that a bit? How did you achieve quicker spool times?
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Guys have you solved your problems with this GTO?

Quick Reply: STS Observations and Questions Inside - Other Dyno Sheets Please