Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Random newbie single turbo questions...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 06:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Default Random newbie single turbo questions...

Howdie. just met with the fabricator(guy has years of experience with chassis engineering/wilson and numerous promod and outlaw cars)...who is a cool dude. Gave him some ideas to what I want to do with my car...etc...and we basically brainstormed for a bit....and,..I pretty much listened to his idea's...and what he had to say.

One...i'm going with a single turbo,..chances are, the ST80, on my C5(346ci). It's to be front mount. He(the fabricator) mentioned that I want to use 2.5 inch piping as the 3" would be too large to feed the turbo(3" from both manifolds). Is the 2.5 what I want to go with? From what I have read...it seems to be the ticket. We haven't decided on manidold design, as I may use some modern stock ones,..or I also gave him two sets of long tubes that can be chopped up and used...(lg pro's and kooks).

Two.... he mentoined using ALUMINUM 4" piping for my DOWNPIPE. I asked right away..."can that hold up to excessive heat?"...... he said "hell yes". Soo,..i'll take his word for it but,...is that ok for a few hour highway voyage at speeds of 100mph? The car isnt a DRAG car at all,...and will see on average 45min run's to and from locations....and obviously hard driving in between. WILL the aluminum be a good idea?...in efforts to save weight?

I DO want to run a 4" inch down pipe correct?...if for WHATEVER reason we can't fit(which I believe we can) a 4" downpipe,..how much would I be giving up if we went to a 3.5"?

Thanks for your wisdom...
Old 04-07-2008, 06:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

My setup is a studded LS6 346 with AFR 205's bow stock with harland sharps, FAST 90 90...and 233 237 649 598 112 camshaft.

Incase that helps with your answer...
Old 04-07-2008, 07:35 PM
TECH Addict

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Sell the LG's and Kooks then use the money to have him build a nice set of stainless headers from scratch. Stainless downpipe too.
Old 04-08-2008, 11:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1NOVA
Sell the LG's and Kooks then use the money to have him build a nice set of stainless headers from scratch. Stainless downpipe too.

Th LG pro's and the kooks where damaged from a clutch expolsion on my car, and a friends car.

Not useable for normal use. Thanks though man.

Anybody?
Old 04-08-2008, 01:06 PM
Pathological Modifier

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Aluminum Down pipe? UH NO. Aluminum Charge pipe, more likely...

And yes 2.5" from each collector to the turbo would be great.

Also, Stainless headers would be the way to go.

Ryan K.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:15 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Ryan K

Ryan K.
There is nothing wrong with aluminum downpipes, alot of people are doing them. You just have to use very thick guage material at the turbo.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Ryan K

Ryan K.

thats how I felt at first about the downpipes as well. It isn't a "track only car" soo... verdict is still out on the downpipe.

Thanks, I have an original set of LG pro long tubes, back when they had V band clamps(very few) and very thick material. My plan, since they were runined, was to cut off the burns collectors and flanges, and have the fabricator use those. Either that, I have several sets of C6 corvette manifolds that I may be plotting out a useage for.

It's all about how much it's gonna cost..which we haven't discussed yet but...it COULD be cheap(if I use the stock manifolds).

Anyways, thanks for you input Ryan... I appreciate it.
Old 04-08-2008, 01:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by black98ws6ta
There is nothing wrong with aluminum downpipes, alot of people are doing them. You just have to use very thick guage material at the turbo.

Awesome to know.

Quick Reply: Random newbie single turbo questions...