Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

crankcase pressure

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 02:04 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default crankcase pressure

running 12 psi and leaking oil from somewere also blowing dipstick out, the pvc line is to a catch can and I am still getting oil on the impellar side of the supercharger. It's not the unit since it was just rebuilt by vortec, I notice oil that is under my mass air sensor and migrates down to my altenator on the driver side and I can't tell were it is coming from on the passenger side, is there anyone who knows how to messure crankcase pressure and why is there oil on my induction side of the supercharger, could it be a bad ring and do you have to pull the motor to change the rings?
Old 04-10-2008, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

need more info on exactly how you have your pvc system. its not breathing enough. might try and put a oil breather.

http://www.ls1speed.com/cont.cfm?cid=C0000193

or it could be the rings..but i think you would be pushing water out the overflow too.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:41 PM
On The Tree

are you talking about the radiator overflow because that just happend, I am having overflow from the radiator overflow know.
Old 04-10-2008, 02:44 PM
On The Tree

is that the radiator overflow because that just happend today when I was driving the car there was overflow from the radiator overflow resivor when I shut the car down.
Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

yes..if its pushing water out the overflow..im pretty sure the rings are blown or something.

is your exhaust color white/blue?
Old 04-10-2008, 03:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MECHAM
yes..if its pushing water out the overflow..im pretty sure the rings are blown or something.

is your exhaust color white/blue?
pushing water=headgaskets
Old 04-11-2008, 08:19 AM
On The Tree

white as far as I can see.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:33 AM
TECH Apprentice

If its white, you my friend have blown a head gasket.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:23 PM
On The Tree

What about the oil that keep collecting on the impellar side of the supercharger, the supercharger was just rebuilt so it's not the supercharger.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmorellicamaross
What about the oil that keep collecting on the impellar side of the supercharger, the supercharger was just rebuilt so it's not the supercharger.
if it's on the impeller it's a a busted blower seal or getting pulled in from somewhere. do you have a line running from the valve cover to any pipeing in front of the supercharger?
Old 04-11-2008, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Yes I have a line running from the passenger side valve cover to a catch can then back to the impeller side pipe. Just had all seals and bearings changed by vortec.
Old 04-11-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mmorellicamaross
is that the radiator overflow because that just happend today when I was driving the car there was overflow from the radiator overflow resivor when I shut the car down.
either way you look at it, if the coolant is overflowing from anywhere you are getting air in the system. Your coolant can get 260 degrees and if your coolant system has no air in it nothing will boil over. As air gets into the system it can now boil over.

The blown head gasket is where the air is getting in...from the piston(s) pushing the air through the blown part of the gasket into the coolant on the compression stroke. The white smoke coming out of your exhaust is coolant being burned and blasted out because on the downstroke it sucks coolant through the blown part of the gasket into the cylinder.

Thats how I understand it anyway.
Old 04-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to agree on the head gasket. On the crankcase pressure, if the head gasket is blown you are pushing oil into the intake in front of the unit. On FI setups if you want a good proven design we do the whole thing with great results. Just search my posts.

Quick Reply: crankcase pressure