Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

My Custom 408 S88 Build

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default My Custom 408 S88 Build

well, the car has come a long way over the years, and now that im rounding third base with this build, i figure i'll do a little write up.

a little background... had an STS setup for a season and two engines. that was my noob era...... it sucked, but taught me a lot....

got fed up with that and wanted something nicer. that's when the hi-flo ordeal came to the plate!! opportunity struck, the planets aligned and i pulled the trigger. one month.... two months.. three months....4,5,6,7,8 ANYWAY.....me being the nagging relentless son-of-a-bitch that i am was lucky enough to receive one of the first kits (well, 80% at least).... at the same time i built a 365ci forged engine with AFRs.....and all the rest of the car to support the power (fuel, built t56, etc etc)... car ran like a raped ape. it was worth all the agony and frustration of waiting for it.... for the most part..

then, fall '07 i have some issues long story short, from beating the **** out of the car 24/7, the bearings took a **** and my crank went for a stroll...

tell you what, the car still ran like a raped ape. pulled on a pretty fast F1C car, actually my cruising buddy the same week. but im not going to jam on something thats really going to make some noise if i don't do something about it...

SO, decisions decisions. i don't have the deepest pockets in the world and i had just about had it up to here with this car and all the bs. so i sat back from it for a while, crunched some numbers, played with all possible combos. i was going to build an NA or nitrous 408.......... i wanted something clean and reliable. but then cruising with my group of boosted ls1s ..... i couldn't. **** it... it's only money.

sold the hi-flo kit to a good guy on this board..... 02EBZO6. i know he will be happy with it. I needed a crank, and i didnt want to spend the money on a stocker, and if im spending on a forged crank, im not going to pass up the cubes. the hi-flo kit wouldn't support the cubes, so what the hell, right? my logical way of thinking

my friends and i have a pretty decent shop to work in with all the necessary tools. not too big, but big enough. lift, engine room, tools galore, MIG/TIG, saw, etc. We've put together some rather nice vehicles from the ground up.... including my friend Firehawk853's clean as hell '02 F1C 365ci fully top shelf forged, fully built EVERYTHING Firehawk, which is 100% street car, like mine. Our other friend JnJ (Speedshop) builds a damn decent engine, and we've had some pretty good luck spec'ing out combos.

quick rundown of the changes for this year...

Forced Inductions S88
408 LQ9
Callies rods - Callies Crank - Custom Cam Motion grind - ACL Calico coated bearings - Diamond IBF 28cc, coated in house - Caddy CTS-V Lifters - double chain, balancer blah blah blah.....

and the rest will explain itself..
Old 05-02-2008, 01:39 AM
10 Second Club

enough of the BS, here's some pics....

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

one of the many SCRAPPED designs:

Old 05-02-2008, 01:40 AM
10 Second Club

...and that's where im at now. between full time school (exams) and work... im pretty damn beat. it's been a winter long process, and a HELL of a lot of work, without much time permitting. I couldn't have gotten this far and HUGE thanks goes out to my guys, especially Pat (psychopjv) who has been my right hand man, and Jay (J&J Speedshop) who has been giving me great prices on parts, a hell of an engine, and all the other help. Thanks also goes out to Chuck (Firehawk853), Jesse (Muscle50), my Dad, and everyone else who has had their hand in this.

EVERYTHING except the machine work and Jet-Hot work was done in house. It feels good to have a build that you designed all bases on, not something you just bolted on (not that there is anything wrong with that!)

If there is one thing i learned, it's patience, and doing things the RIGHT way. I've scrapped COUNTLESS configurations that... probably would have got the job done. BUT, because they either looked off, hacked, rushed, or straight up not what i had in my mind, into the trash they went. I'm so happy i've done that this time around. This setup is looking VERY promising and i can't wait to start it up. Hopefully in the next week and MAYBE this weekend.

sorry for the mess of pics, it took a while to host and resize them, but i have 238320381 more. for anything specific, feel free to ask. thanks
Old 05-02-2008, 01:49 AM
9 Second Club

Killer!
Old 05-02-2008, 03:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

holy **** you arent ******* around, nice build
Old 05-02-2008, 03:31 AM
10 Second Club

absolutey gorgeous, the engine bay looks amazing on that car, what are you using to tune it?
Old 05-02-2008, 03:46 AM
10 Second Club

Bro, you did an awesome job on that kit! One of the cleanest I have seen for a DIY, great design too.

Dan
Old 05-02-2008, 05:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

nic pic .
Old 05-02-2008, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

nice car/kit. Looks awesome!
Old 05-02-2008, 06:12 AM
TECH Addict

Work Of Art...Nice job buddy

peace
Old 05-02-2008, 06:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

great build, love also taht yall panted the engine bay black, looks more hotrod like that IMO
Old 05-02-2008, 08:11 AM
Launching!

Wow great jab man you have something to be proud of thier. What size piping is that for the wg? Is that a 50mm? 4" dp all the way back? What k member did you go with? Who did your coating? Still running stock crank?

Probably the best diy kit I've seen to date!
Old 05-02-2008, 08:59 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Holy crap, that is nice man. That S88 will give that 408 all it wants....hehe
Old 05-02-2008, 09:21 AM
11 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow. Just WOW!

I figured you had something up your sleeve, hadn't seen any posts from you on here in a while. Looks amazing man, makes me wish I'd taken the time to paint my engine bay when the motor was out. Guess I'll just do my best to shine it up instead haha

I'm supposed to be getting the pipes back from ceramic coating today. Then I'll finally be doing the hiflo install that I've been waiting so long for as well. May be giving you a call if we run into any big snags, but from what I can tell I think it'll go pretty smooth. Shooting to get it to the tuners on the weekend of the 24th, we'll see!

Good luck on yours, can't wait to see what kind of numbers it makes and what it does at the track! Oh and don't forget to post up some kills too haha
Old 05-02-2008, 09:59 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice, looks a ton better than the hi flo kit.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

thanks a lot guys! makes me fell good

ill try to answer as much of the questions...forgive me if i miss something.

-HPT 2 Bar
-Callies 4" Small Journal
-Jet-Hot Sterling Extreme... $$$ BUT worth it
-PA Racing with stock style motor mounts with some work to get the 4" through
-44mm WG - 1 7/8" to, 1 3/4" from
-2.5" MS hot
-4" mild with 4" E-cutout necked to 3" at the tq arm (reason i did this is my friend has a full 4", and even with a lot of maneuvering it bangs like a *****)
-full Vibrant o-ring V-band throughout. these were $$$, but SOOOOO worth it

02EBZ06- ya man keep me posted. i want to know how that works out for ya.

-Id actually prefer the stock engine bay paint job in all honestly. i painted that and the bottom last year, looked great, but then when i painted the exterior of the car EB last year, it got overspray from the bottom. It was inevitable. Wish i could have painted it EB, but it would have never covered everything. But at the end of the day im not that concerned
Old 05-02-2008, 10:10 AM
10 Second Club

oh, and that alternator absolutely PISSES ME OFF....LOL.

my bud spent some time polishing the VC's, and the setup looked so nice and clean, but then we had to put that clunker up there. at least im going to swap it for a clean one but it still pisses me off
Old 05-02-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Resident

Very nice looking setup.
Old 05-02-2008, 10:37 AM
Launching!

Oh man, I just had an accident!

Quick Reply: My Custom 408 S88 Build