Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2008, 08:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It is a very exspensive addiction, especially being a college student lol. When i first drove my T/A I was amazed how much faster it was then my old modded GT, and the T/A is stock! But it still just wasnt enough, so ive decided to start big with boost on the way!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:01 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well been into this stuff for years..50 years old not exactly young anymore and still a speed freak. Have figured out some stuff..if you have to put the cars away for winter they feel a lot faster for awhile in spring,especially those first drives.
Also I think NA cars don't feel as fast to me as fi cars. While a 100 shot may not be that impressive a 200 shot can be.! Also turbo cars don't really get old to me and a supercharged car would be fun too. Different powerbands and different thrills.
I find my 97 talon awd pretty freaking scary,car is light and having it go from doing
say 180hp off boost to 500 plus on boost and it revs like right now is pretty fun. I expect the current 99 ta project to be fun as well as building a light pure talon race car.
But you can get bored with 10s,9s,8s..don't matter. Just have to learn to be happy with what you got or what you can afford. And really you can't use these megahp cars in the city anymore. Our city cops are **** these days. Even highway cops are starting to take things really serious.That leaves the track pretty much and its not that close to my city and it gets boring really..straight line.all the rules and regs..worse ever year on those. Rollbar rule is dumb..can't have removable cross bar so that pretty much trashes the back seat.
Street cars should be allowed removable crossbars.
So likely won't be going to track on the street cars after they hit 11.5.So then when can you even open them up..nowhere..or if you do you are always looking over your shoulder for the cop thats coming up behind or the radar trap up ahead.
My advice..leave the cars stock. And start getting into video game racing. Go as fast as you want, crash no big deal to you or the car...no cops and fines and jail..Until maybe we get to next stage in cars..flying cars then you should be able to go plenty fast.Course it won't seem that fast if you aren't close to the ground just like jets don't seem fast if you are in them and high up unless you have another plane coming at you or are close to the ground.

For some of us,maybe many of us the speed addiction will end when we are bankrupt,dead from old age or our speed addiction or maybe finally kick the speed habit.Speed is a drug! And race bikes are wicked fast but they don't call them donorcycles for nothing.Drive fast bikes long enough and trust me you will be roadkill.
I quit riding before became a statistic. No matter how good you are there is always that stupid motorist that won't see you or will make a mistake that will cost you dearly on a bike.

Well guess go back to my forza 2 and Project gotham racing. Go to take my 1000 hp virtual car for a spin or two. My real 1000 hp car is not finished yet.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by FMX05
The answer to all of your problems is to buy a dirtbike. Anyone can point a streetbike in a straight line and come up through the gears. But one a dirtbike you can always find a way to make yourself faster.
Funny you mention that...

Ive rode dirt bikes as a kid, they were all my friends bikes..... my father never let me have one of my own soooooooo.......

I bought this a couple months ago:

2004 YZ250F and it had less then 1hr on it when I bought it... never been on dirt. Long story short.. guy paid $5800 for it and about $500 in upgrades for his little brother that couldnt get financed... little bro got into some trouble with the law and the bike sat for about 3 yrs cause big bro had his own bikes. He wanted $3500, I offered $3200 and he took it.

Pretty damn fun bike. Youre right though.. this thing can loop out and give me a pretty good scare.
Old 07-22-2008, 08:24 AM
9 Second Club

It's all in the set up. I run on 325/50/15 dr's with full suspension set up for traction. My car feels pretty controllable but I have to use common sense or it could get away from me.

To answer the question I am happy with the power. I don't think it could handle much more on the street unless I was only doing 100 mph pulls or something.

It does not scare me but I do respect it.
Old 07-22-2008, 04:54 PM
Staging Lane

Wow, just had this conversation last night with some friends. I have come up through the ranks starting with an fairly stock lt1 that i thought was fast at first. I have gone from a 350rwhp lt1 z28 to a 388 rwhp NA ls1 ta, to a c5, to a 488 rwhp pro charged ls1ta. I thought every one was fast for a while but you get used to them, you want more. The pro charged car gave me that tight feeling in your chest that a good roller coaster gives you for the first two weeks i had it. Now im trying to decide on a heads,cam, alky kit, 60lb inj, and an 8lb pulley, or to just go nuts with a 6.0l block so i can really turn the juice up. It is a sickness that once you catch you cant shake. I have often wondered when i will stop and i dont think anybody can answer that question. I do like taking friends for rides and having them not say a word until we get back, or scream like girls because one or the other happens everytime.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

I still havent found a car that'll give me the shakes like my boat does. after being in that all day, my GTO felt like it was running on 2 cylinders.
Old 07-24-2008, 11:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
I still havent found a car that'll give me the shakes like my boat does. after being in that all day, my GTO felt like it was running on 2 cylinders.
The shakes are the ****. Thats deff an addiction of mine.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:03 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1BadAction
The only time I've experienced the shakes, you know when you just can't stop your gas leg from bouncin, is when I've taken high risk street races in areas that are patrolled often and the speed limit is only 45mph. One time in particular comes to mind, after smoking a wrx I flew by a spot where I knew cops sat going 90 in a 45, that got my leg shakin pretty good, the girl in my car said she thought she peed her pants lol. The whole heart pounding experience only comes from sitting at a street light ready to drop the hammer and knowing your about to take a big risk. It's weird, at the track I'm perfectly calm but on the street that adrenalin rush is pretty intense. As good as the feeling is, I'm getting to the point where it's just not worth the risk.
Old 07-25-2008, 07:24 AM
TECH Addict

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I dont think 500-600hp is scary, I didnt when i first got on it at around 600rwhp. Its too smooth of a power transition i guess. Cant drive it without slicks. What IS funny though is giving people rides, they are totally unsuspecting cause the car is slouchy off boost, about midway through throttle I see them reaching and grabbing on to the roll bar for dear life. Its rather funny.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
It's weird, at the track I'm perfectly calm but on the street that adrenalin rush is pretty intense. As good as the feeling is, I'm getting to the point where it's just not worth the risk.
yessir, the only thing that causes that is perceived danger. its a chemical high just like any drug, and like anything else it takes more and more to get you to that point. Where I live there is developments out in the country for miles and miles with no houses and perfect blacktop. I've seen guys cleaning and prepping the asphalt to race cars that will run single digits in the 1/4. Hundreds of people watching, all of them are there for that adrenaline rush. Hell I'm getting goosebumps just thinking about it. From what I heard, back in the 70s and 80s it was even more insane, and the cops turned a blind eye to it.

ps- Street racing is bad, mmmmkay

Quick Reply: Making 500rwhp+? Does your car scare you at all? Are you happy with the HP?