Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 06:51 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to figure out what to do with these pistons, does anyone know what I need to do to make them ok to run?
Old 09-23-2008, 07:58 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

shorter rod, different head, different piston
Old 09-23-2008, 08:31 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
shorter rod, different head, different piston
Ok fine, different head. But that's not what I'm talking about, I mean fixing the damage on the piston, not fixing what caused it.
Old 09-23-2008, 11:41 AM
12 Second Club

Im wondering if you just smooth out the nics and call it a day.
Take your pictures to the speed shop and ask.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:21 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
Im wondering if you just smooth out the nics and call it a day.
Take your pictures to the speed shop and ask.
That's what I'm hoping I can get away with but I've never messed with pistons so I'm not sure how sensitive they are. I would just like someone who has experience with this to confirm that I shouldn't run into problems with them.
Old 09-23-2008, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rufretic
That's what I'm hoping I can get away with but I've never messed with pistons so I'm not sure how sensitive they are. I would just like someone who has experience with this to confirm that I shouldn't run into problems with them.
If you smooth them and use the correct pushrod will there still be PTV clearance issues?
Old 09-23-2008, 02:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28MASS
If you smooth them and use the correct pushrod will there still be PTV clearance issues?
That doesn't matter right now, one thing at a time. I need to know the pistons are good to go before I start planning what to do next. Once the pistons are ready to go, then I'll decide what to do with the heads. I'm going with shorter pushrods and possibly different heads. Once I get to that point, I'll clay the pistons again, this time with solid lifters. Then I can decide if I need a new cam as well.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:15 PM
Race your car!

The pistons need to come out, get machined for a consistant notch at that location, get smoothed so you don't end up with hot spots and then rebalanced.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would just sand the rough edges down and run them.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:21 PM
Race your car!

Problem with that is the balance will be screwed, and the piston/valve clearance will be inconsistant, so you will have to clay every single cylinder.

The pistons need to come out and get worked by an experienced machinist. At this point, I'd probably leave the entire engine reassembly to someone that has the experience. With an F2 bolted up to it, there's no room for error, that kind of air movement can, and will torch alot of **** quick if it's not right.
Old 09-23-2008, 02:44 PM
10 Second Club

The pistons need to come out, get machined for a consistant notch at that location, get smoothed so you don't end up with hot spots and then rebalanced.
Great, that's exactly what I didn't want to hear but kinda thought in the back or my head. Now I have some desicions to make.

Thanks for the help guys.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:02 PM
8 Second Club

If you were to come up with a flycutting tool (Isky makes one, I think some places will rent it to you), you could put some small clearance eyebrows that would clean up the dings and be uniform on every piston, having the piston slightly lighter will not effect the balance too bad, it is called overbalance. Now having heavier pistons would not fare well. We are talking a few grams here, you should see how the factory balances the stockers . You can do it in the car with proper masking. Valve reliefs/eyebrows are a necessary evil with big cams. Small eyebrows shouldn't compromise the integrity of the piston much, they probably have a lot of material there.
First things first get the pistons fixed, then go about checking to see if that cam will work or not. Remember the piston is not at TDC at max lift, that is where the LSA comes into play.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:39 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by veee8
If you were to come up with a flycutting tool (Isky makes one, I think some places will rent it to you), you could put some small clearance eyebrows that would clean up the dings and be uniform on every piston, having the piston slightly lighter will not effect the balance too bad, it is called overbalance. Now having heavier pistons would not fare well. We are talking a few grams here, you should see how the factory balances the stockers . You can do it in the car with proper masking. Valve reliefs/eyebrows are a necessary evil with big cams. Small eyebrows shouldn't compromise the integrity of the piston much, they probably have a lot of material there.
First things first get the pistons fixed, then go about checking to see if that cam will work or not. Remember the piston is not at TDC at max lift, that is where the LSA comes into play.
That was my original idea but that got a negative responce when I brought it up. That would keep the balance pretty close I would think and I'm not going very deep.
Old 09-23-2008, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

Who was the speed shop you visited awhile back ?
Bring some pics to them or they maybe kind enough to have one of there people see the engine in person ?
Old 09-24-2008, 07:05 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 99SSragtop
Who was the speed shop you visited awhile back ?
Bring some pics to them or they maybe kind enough to have one of there people see the engine in person ?
Speed inc.
Since I didn't purchase the block from them or have them assemble it, I feel kind of bad asking them for help. I got most of the parts online so I'm kind of stuck doing it myself unless I want to dish out a bunch more money that I don't have.

Another thing I noticed that I thought was kind of odd, on both sides of the block, with each piston they hit noticably more. The two pistons to the front of the block barley got touched and then as you go back each piston got hit a little worse. The two pistons at the back are the worst, but still not that bad. The pic I posted is the second to last on the drivers side and it is about the same as the farthest back but the rear piston does have a slightly larger mark. Then the first piston didn't even get touched in the center and just a little nick on the outside. I'm not sure if this matters but I would have thought they would all hit the same.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
10 Second Club

I also noticed my head gaskets had some oil on them. I think I was loosing compression from the head gaskets. I sprayed some oil in the cylinders and then cranked it over a bunch to protect them from cylinder wash. I think the compression pushed the oil out throughthe gaskets. I bet these stupid used heads are warped explaining why I couldn't get good compression. The oil was filthy in the cylinders, also from the heads. I'm just going to get new heads like I should have done in the first place. Screw this used ****, it only causes problems.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 AM
Restricted User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What size combustion chambers are on those heads? It seems like you should have plenty of clearance with a big chamber head which is what you should be using to keep DCR down. Specially with a small valve and a dished piston, you should have plenty of space. Like I said in a previous post, make sure that you didnt have the slack on the wrong side of the timing chain when you lined up your dots.

It sucks that with all the time and effort that you have into it now you are running into these issues. Specially when you were so close. Dont let the temptation mess with your judgement though. Pull that motor out and have someone assemble the long block for you corrrectly. If you dont, you'll have doubts everytime to push in the gas pedal.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:08 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 98Z28CobraKiller
What size combustion chambers are on those heads? It seems like you should have plenty of clearance with a big chamber head which is what you should be using to keep DCR down. Specially with a small valve and a dished piston, you should have plenty of space. Like I said in a previous post, make sure that you didnt have the slack on the wrong side of the timing chain when you lined up your dots.

It sucks that with all the time and effort that you have into it now you are running into these issues. Specially when you were so close. Dont let the temptation mess with your judgement though. Pull that motor out and have someone assemble the long block for you corrrectly. If you dont, you'll have doubts everytime to push in the gas pedal.
Heads are 72cc stock 317 heads.

I'm starting to think there might be something up with the timing chain as well because I thought I should have clearance as well, plus the 7.4 pushrods should not have been long enough to keep my valves open and I had 0 compression with everything installed. I'm going to pull the timing cover while I have down time anyway. I'm 99.9% sure it's right but with the problems I'm having that .1% is enough to make it worth it to check.

Pulling the engine is not really an option for me right now so I'm most likely going to flycut. Once the pistons are clearanced, I will get a good set of 6 bolt heads and add a touch more compression, like 9:1, right now it was about 8:1-8.5:1. Then I shouldn't have clearance with the fly cutting & I think the cam will like a little more compression & make more power over all. It just sucks that this isn't going to get finished until next season.

Last edited by rufretic; 09-24-2008 at 10:18 AM.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:43 AM
Race your car!

Heads with less vale angle will also help the clearnace issues.
Old 09-24-2008, 10:48 AM
10 Second Club

Heads with less vale angle will also help the clearnace issues.
I'm looking at getting the trick flow 6 bolt heads, not sure on what options I have yet.

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)