Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 09:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

trust me you can get spark with a bad pcm.... I know for sure... Seriously go and get the PCM checked.... When you turn the key off does the check engine light stay on a little bit afterwards... I will post a link to my problem and you can try all of the suggestions
Old 09-08-2008, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/833198-100-anyone-who-can-give-me-right.html

there you go lots of things to try in there
Old 09-09-2008, 09:50 AM
BMW ///M Nerd

Can you just smell the PCM quickly along the connector/edges of it? Sounds simple, but since there was a meltdown you may be able to smell it.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:05 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD *** TA WS6
Can you just smell the PCM quickly along the connector/edges of it? Sounds simple, but since there was a meltdown you may be able to smell it.
I'll try it before I drop it off to get checked but I don't think the fire did anything but burn those two cables, nothing else was related. It was like taking the ground cable and the hot cable straight from the battery and touching them together.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry, but did not want to read 14 pages......so which reluctor wheel is onthe crank? Are you sure you have the correct crank sensor/reluctor wheel setup?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:25 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Sorry, but did not want to read 14 pages......so which reluctor wheel is onthe crank? Are you sure you have the correct crank sensor/reluctor wheel setup?
Yeah, I did mention that might be an issue because I bought the crankshaft off a member for an ls1 but don't know for sure if it is actually an ls1 crankshaft without checking the part number. I'll look into that tonight.
Old 09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
10 Second Club

PCM checked out ok. One of the guys at speed inc gave me a good idea, check for similar sensors and make sure I didn't switch any. One in perticular, the map & cam. It could be possible so I'm going to try that in a few minutes, I'll post up if I get it running tonight.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:27 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by rufretic
PCM checked out ok. One of the guys at speed inc gave me a good idea, check for similar sensors and make sure I didn't switch any. One in perticular, the map & cam. It could be possible so I'm going to try that in a few minutes, I'll post up if I get it running tonight.
that would be BADASS if it was that simple. good luck, let us know...
Old 09-09-2008, 06:59 PM
10 Second Club

good luck man i hope it is that easy!!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:01 PM
10 Second Club

Man this is brutal. The map and cam sensor were reversed if the the wire harness picture I'm using is right. The map has a slightly longer lead. Well after cutting and brusing myself reaching back there I finaly got them switched, started to get a little excited, tried cranking and it just pops a little more often The problem is I can't see back there and can barely reach them. I'm not 100% I got the right sensors plugged in back there still. The map is definetly right now but I can't tell if the other cam sensor hooked into the right plug on the extension harness or if it's the knock sensor, maybe those were reversed too. I'm second guessing everything now that I found the wrong sensor on the map. I really don't want to take the intake off. I think I'm going to try to just free up the extension harness for the ls1-ls2 conversion so I can go over it again. I thought I had it right but it looks like I had a bunch of things wrong
Old 09-09-2008, 08:23 PM
10 Second Club

I have not read thru the whole thread so sorry if someone has mentioned this and you ruled it out.. but you are saying its popping??
Are you sure you dont have the coil connections reveresed? Although plugged in to the main part, piston 1,3,5,7 could have the firing order of 7,5,3,1.. I did both sides like that and it just popped as you could imagine as the firing order was completly backwards from the piston order.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:55 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
I have not read thru the whole thread so sorry if someone has mentioned this and you ruled it out.. but you are saying its popping??
Are you sure you dont have the coil connections reveresed? Although plugged in to the main part, piston 1,3,5,7 could have the firing order of 7,5,3,1.. I did both sides like that and it just popped as you could imagine as the firing order was completly backwards from the piston order.
You mean like the plug is upside down? I'm not sure how you could reverse them?
Old 09-09-2008, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

I took the conversion harness out and put it back in, all connections are now 100% good there, still just poping. If the coils check out like said above then I guess my next step would be to swap the crank sensor.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:05 PM
10 Second Club

You mean like the plug is upside down? I'm not sure how you could reverse them?
Well, suppose you are standing by the driver side front tire looking under the hood. You have (left to right) piston 1, 3, 5, 7... And you have a coil for each one and a connection for each coil that comes into one big connectoin up top and in the middle.
Its very easy (or it was easy for me to) to have the big connection plugged in and have the connection that is suppose to go into coil # 7 plugged into coil #1 (and visa versa) and have coil wire #3 pluged into coil #5. They are just flipped around. Make sense? Just a thought as I did it during my rebuild and took forever to figure out and that all it was. It was just cranking and popping like you described. I switched one side and it got better, then switched the other side and it cranked right up.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:45 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by waterbug1999
Well, suppose you are standing by the driver side front tire looking under the hood. You have (left to right) piston 1, 3, 5, 7... And you have a coil for each one and a connection for each coil that comes into one big connectoin up top and in the middle.
Its very easy (or it was easy for me to) to have the big connection plugged in and have the connection that is suppose to go into coil # 7 plugged into coil #1 (and visa versa) and have coil wire #3 pluged into coil #5. They are just flipped around. Make sense? Just a thought as I did it during my rebuild and took forever to figure out and that all it was. It was just cranking and popping like you described. I switched one side and it got better, then switched the other side and it cranked right up.
I understand what your saying, I don't understand how you can switch them? The big plug can only go in one way? Do you mean you can reverse the whole coil pack from drivers side to passenger side?
Old 09-09-2008, 09:47 PM
10 Second Club

Also checked my crankshaft part number, it says ls1 and I'm using an ls1 pcm so it should be good. I'm going to get a new cranksensor tomorrow and try that.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:55 PM
10 Second Club

I understand what your saying, I don't understand how you can switch them? The big plug can only go in one way? Do you mean you can reverse the whole coil pack from drivers side to passenger side?
Im sure they can be but if they are all pluged into the right order/coil is shouldnt matter....

I know the big plug can only go in one way. But, any one of those 4 ends can plug into any coil. The only reason you cant mix them up is due to the lenghts. But, you can completely flip flop them and they would hardly look any different.
I did that and the firing order was completely opposite on each side resulting in just cranking and popping.
Just unplug one side and flip flop them and see if it gets better. So, put the connector from coil 7 in coil 1 and 3 into 5... You do that and turns them completely around.. Understand?
Old 09-09-2008, 10:58 PM
10 Second Club

hell yes you can!!! took me 5 hours 6 phone call and 2 hours on the net to find this out, and all i did was switch the around and it fired right up, did you relocate the coils??? if so i would guess that this is you fix man try it and see, also dont get down on your self man this is a new thing that you are doing so you have to expect that things will go wrong at first, trust me i feel you pain but be calm and you will work it out bro!
Old 09-09-2008, 11:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 33 Likes on 17 Posts

Yeah, and the car will still run, but pop and backfire a lot
Old 09-09-2008, 11:08 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Reckless
Yeah, and the car will still run, but pop and backfire a lot
Both sides switched it will not run. One side switched it will barely run and pop.

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)