Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 12:23 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Todd157k
Looking GREAT! Lots of good fabrication.

I don't see one very important part you're going to need though....

much bigger go-nads to run this puppy!

Are you saying you want to see a picture of my nuts?
Old 08-05-2008, 12:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

rufretic you did something that I was planning on doing, I have a OBx intercooler with the 3inch ends and I am wanting to upgrade them to 3.5 inch. What was your method of cutting the intercooler??? I just don't want to get any aluminum shavings up in my cooler.
Old 08-05-2008, 01:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by T/A KID
rufretic you did something that I was planning on doing, I have a OBx intercooler with the 3inch ends and I am wanting to upgrade them to 3.5 inch. What was your method of cutting the intercooler??? I just don't want to get any aluminum shavings up in my cooler.
No shavings? Lol, good luck with that! I used a hole saw that fit just perfect over the existing outlets and then cut the new pipe to fit, had it welded and then ground down what was left over on the inside. Yes, lot's of metel shavings. You have to make sure you clean it out very well. I sprayed it out with my compressor then rinsed it with water(spray nozel on hose) real good then blew it out with the air compresser again.
Old 08-05-2008, 02:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by kp
It sounds like a lot on my car but it really isnt when you spread it out over 4 years. I'm far from a high roller, lot of people just dont admit what they spent. It costs what it costs, if I could have done it for 1/2 the cost I sure would have. But a hobby is a hobby, at least with a car you can get 50 cents on the dollar back, I know people who spend more than I did on this car playing golf in a year or two.
I here that. When i tallied up the $$$ spent on my simple H/C/I build, it was like $15K. I think a lot of people who haven't done it fail to account for all the miscelaneous stuff.

I had no idea this would happen though, before this car all I had ever done to a car was an oil change, lol.
Seriously??? I would have thought you were a mechanic. Gives me some reassurence on my future DIY build.
Old 08-05-2008, 03:03 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by landonew
I here that. When i tallied up the $$$ spent on my simple H/C/I build, it was like $15K. I think a lot of people who haven't done it fail to account for all the miscelaneous stuff.

Seriously??? I would have thought you were a mechanic. Gives me some reassurence on my future DIY build.
Oh yeah, I'm serious, I like a challenge. I learn as I go and I'm definitly a hands on type of person. I thank this site the most though, I pretty much learned everything I know thanks to this site, it's AMAZING!
Old 08-05-2008, 08:36 PM
10 Second Club

Picture time

Got the F2 mounted and all the pipe run, just need to take in the top pieces and have them welded and add the bypass.

Look whos peaking out

Not sure what this pic is of but oh well.

And then this one is just to show how my converter and flex plate are exposed

Is that normal for a th400 or do I need a case or something?
Old 08-05-2008, 09:34 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 59 Likes on 44 Posts

Looks like your missing a bellhousing? I dont know th400's though. I highly doubt your converter and flexplate should be showing though!

Featuring 6 different turbo kits for your F-body!
Check us out on Facebook at: www.facebook.com/HuronSpeed
Old 08-05-2008, 09:52 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Superman09
Looks like your missing a bellhousing? I dont know th400's though. I highly doubt your converter and flexplate should be showing though!
That's what I was thinking, looks like it will just tear up anything that gets near it lol.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:26 PM
10 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You plan on running a trans blanket? Ive never put one on but I would imagine you need the bell houseing.
Old 08-05-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 911 Likes on 651 Posts

Originally Posted by Superman09
It's called a scatter shield or a flywheel cover. I think there are several aftermarket companies that sell them. Basically it's just a piece of molded plastic/metal that keeps road debris off the flywheel/T.C. and has a small hole in the bottom of it so if your front seal leaking you can see it.

Build looks good!
Old 08-06-2008, 04:37 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

My converter and flexplate are visable like that, not a big deal. Actually helps with cooling so some air can move around there, I wouldn't put the plastic cover on.

Drfinately get a tranny scatter shield, with the 1200 hp that setup will make it's a really good idea.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:59 AM
10 Second Club

Before going to the track and seeing what it can do, I will put a trans blanket on. That might not be until next year though because I'm really backed up on funds to finish. I just want to get it up and running but I still need money for the water pump and tensioner pulley. I need about $700 more to finish and I just don't have it. I'm trying to sell my stereo system so I can finish the car but nobody wants to even pay $900 for a $3000 system that's like brand new. I don't want to lose any more than that so I'm holding out for someone that can see what a great deal it is.
Old 08-06-2008, 07:11 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I hear ya there, I've had some stuff for sale for a while, and some of it I've had a hard time GIVING away, just because I want it gone. People don't even want free stuff LOL.
Old 08-06-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Its a terrible time to be selling stuff. I sold my old race car and the turbo and had to take a loss big time on them. I still have an water to air intercooler core that ive tried selling twice on ebay and listed in multiple classifieds for over half what I gave and couldnt get any bites on it.

Bad time to be selling stuff.

But your project is looking good! Keep up the good work!
Old 08-06-2008, 08:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
It's called a scatter shield or a flywheel cover. I think there are several aftermarket companies that sell them. Basically it's just a piece of molded plastic/metal that keeps road debris off the flywheel/T.C. and has a small hole in the bottom of it so if your front seal leaking you can see it.

Build looks good!
Link??
Old 08-06-2008, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by rufretic
Before going to the track and seeing what it can do, I will put a trans blanket on. That might not be until next year though because I'm really backed up on funds to finish. I just want to get it up and running but I still need money for the water pump and tensioner pulley. I need about $700 more to finish and I just don't have it. I'm trying to sell my stereo system so I can finish the car but nobody wants to even pay $900 for a $3000 system that's like brand new. I don't want to lose any more than that so I'm holding out for someone that can see what a great deal it is.
its a shame that a few hundred bucks is stalling this project. Good luck on comming up with the money.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:32 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by landonew
its a shame that a few hundred bucks is stalling this project. Good luck on comming up with the money.
I second that and hope that I have better luck selling my stuff as I am pretty much selling everything for half as well. Good Luck, sick project!
Old 08-06-2008, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

Alright guys, I need a little help. I found a good deal on a 1200rwhp rated driveshaft. The problem is it was for a 9" and I have a 12-bolt, how important is it to have that extra 1" clearance into the tranny? The driveshaft is just barely longer than what is ideal. With the suspension unloaded I can fit the driveshaft in place but it only has about a 1/4" extra to slide into the tranny. Now I'm hoping once the rear suspension is loaded it will pull it out another 1/4"-1/2" but is that enough clearance? The only movment my set-up should have is the rear suspension because from the tranny up, everything is solid. What is the purpose of the extra 1" of clearance into the tranny? I know I could have it cut but I'm not looking to spend anything extra right now as I'm stuggling to finish it as it is. TIA for any info on this.
Old 08-06-2008, 03:58 PM
8 Second Club

I would think as the suspension compresses, the shaft will want to go further in, as opposed to out. I checked, it does not move much. Depending on how much you need, you might be able to trim down the slip yoke to get a little more clearance in there. I have about 1/2" slip until it bottoms out on mine. I was a little worried at first, but it works fine, btw TH400 with short tailshaft and yoke.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by rufretic
I just want to get it up and running but I still need money for the water pump and tensioner pulley.
I thought you had an electric water pump from one of the pics I saw. Was that something else or did you decide to go with a remote pump in a different location?

Quick Reply: LSX is ready to be dropped in tomorrow (PICS!)