Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Thinking about going FI (STS Turbo)

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2008, 04:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about going FI (STS Turbo)

Alright so I am currently running a full bolt 2001 Camaro SS w/ a TR 224/224 cam. I know this isn't the ideal setup for a turbo car. I am just thinking if it would be worth the time and money to swap cams and get rid of the long tube headers. I am looking at some STS Kits and I am wondering if it will work well with my current setup? Or do I need to change it all up to make it perform better? I have heard some people say the TR224 works well and other say LT's are fine to run. I am also lowered 1.5 inches which might be a problem with this kit? Just curious on what I should do? If it's not too much work and I can run it with my current setup, then I might start putting money aside for it. Thanks
Old 06-11-2008, 04:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

search.........i had the kit with 2" drop i hit everything
Old 06-11-2008, 04:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by trans2000am
search.........i had the kit with 2" drop i hit everything

Ah that sucks.
Old 06-11-2008, 05:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

even stock you have a good chance of hitting everything, i mocked up the piping from the STS kit on my car and just laughed at how horriblely low it sits. for the money youll put in to a STS kit to make it work right a used or even a new blower is a better option IMO
Old 06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

you need to figure out how much money you wanna spend and double it cause its not cheap going FI(fuel system,trans,rearend,suspension,motor etc)then are you doing ur own work? sts kit is cheap to begin with then you throw alot more into it and you could of bought a front mount...
Old 06-11-2008, 05:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

amen brother, i bought into the STS hype on my LT1, recieved the kit and realized ill never be happy with it so i might as well go front mount. in the end, its going to cost the same so better off doing it right the first time. another thing to consider is your headers, the spool will be horrible with them on the STS kit, but if you got a blower they would make more power than the stock manifolds
Old 06-11-2008, 07:37 PM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check out the one we built, and the problems we encountered.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32 Bob
Old 06-11-2008, 10:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SpeedWorld
Alright so I am currently running a full bolt 2001 Camaro SS w/ a TR 224/224 cam. I know this isn't the ideal setup for a turbo car. I am just thinking if it would be worth the time and money to swap cams and get rid of the long tube headers. I am looking at some STS Kits and I am wondering if it will work well with my current setup? Or do I need to change it all up to make it perform better? I have heard some people say the TR224 works well and other say LT's are fine to run. I am also lowered 1.5 inches which might be a problem with this kit? Just curious on what I should do? If it's not too much work and I can run it with my current setup, then I might start putting money aside for it. Thanks
The cam is ok, but ditching the headers is a must to help spool. I had a TR224/224-114LSA cam, with LTs and 4.11s. Spool was slower than I wanted (~4000rpm fully spooled). I made good power (~500rwhp est.), but if I was doing it all over again today, I would go APS. If you are on a tight budget, the STS would be a good option, but you need to decide how much you are going to spend before you jump in.
Old 06-11-2008, 11:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Exotic Performance Plus
Check out the one we built, and the problems we encountered.
http://www.exoticperformanceplus.com...Car.php?car=32 Bob
my GOD that car is amazing......
Old 06-12-2008, 05:56 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sunset'01Z
my GOD that car is amazing......
Thanks, but what is really amazing is we didn't give up on it! lol
Chasing all the problems this kit creates is a real experience! Bob
Old 06-12-2008, 07:43 AM
11 Second Club

Thanks, but what is really amazing is we didn't give up on it! lol
Bob, how right you are.

Mine's finally darn close to sorted out after a year or so of searching for the right recipe and upgrading darn near everything STS sold with it. A real adventure, to say the least.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Bob, that's what makes it so amazing. A stock car with an STS system doesnt do much for me. A car with a custom remote mount turbo system (whether modified sts or not) and all the mods to back it up DOES.
Old 06-13-2008, 12:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Take the price of the base kit multiply by three = rough price of a running RMT car. If you can do all the labor yourself.
Old 06-13-2008, 01:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by geeteego
Bob, how right you are.

Mine's finally darn close to sorted out after a year or so of searching for the right recipe and upgrading darn near everything STS sold with it. A real adventure, to say the least.
i agree.... after 2 years of working bugs out, its finally almost running like it should!!
Old 06-13-2008, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by SpeedWorld
sts new kit has changed some of the piping for ground clearance issues plus they have added the intercooler set up which is cheaper through www.trtturbo.com and depending on what your looking for you could see some great gains but if you want to make real power on turbo and not have to redo the kit later you may want to do aps tt set up and then run low boost until you forge the bottom end..
Old 06-13-2008, 03:09 PM
On The Tree

I'm basically just looking at a complete kit with fmic, wastegate, boost controller, wideband, blow off valve, injectors, etc. Looking for a used one around $3k or so. I wouldn't buy a new one since they are pretty expensive. If I could find a complete set for a good price, wouldn't be too bad of an idea I dont think, unless everyone has tons of issues with them...
Old 06-13-2008, 07:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If you could find all that for 3k, that would be worth it. That is 7k worth of stuff.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:52 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by enginjoe
If you could find all that for 3k, that would be worth it. That is 7k worth of stuff.
Yeah I know that's what I am looking at, and those kits are out there...but then I know I still will prolly have to upgrade my clutch an rear, but I could always keep the boost at around 5psi to keep the power down until I have the funds to fully push the car...
Old 06-14-2008, 06:36 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

I personally believe you would have far fewer problems with a used ProCharger kit than you will experience with a used STS kit. Non working or poorly working oil return pumps are somewhat common with these kits, as is oil pooling in the turbo, and oil return lines popping off the passenger side valve cover.
Many STS kits have been removed out of frustration from their owners, make sure you're ready to deal with this. Bob
Old 06-14-2008, 08:26 AM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

And it can't be good for the wallet either.

Quick Reply: Thinking about going FI (STS Turbo)