Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

1dirtyZ V3.2 build (F2 procharger , 427, etc. )

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

lol "makes the primaries look huge"....
Old 02-01-2011, 01:24 AM
8 Second Club

i guess i can call the radiator mount bracket done ( well almost done, i still have to powdercoat it ) , but the bad news is that in my rush i forgot to snap pics of it on the car and i already installed the intercooler.

anyway , here is how it looks

so now i have to put the old headers back on , attatch the steering shaft, connect the lower radiator hose and fill with fluids.

my only problem now is waiting for the collectors to show up in time. if they do show up before thursday , i can take the car over to the shop and have them fab the exhaust up . if not i'll have to either take the car with one collector ( the huge one) and have them fabricate both sides using that one alone as a template , or wait till next week and take it then but then i run the risk of missing round 3 in bahrain .
Old 02-01-2011, 02:02 AM
TECH Resident

What was your best ET with this car?

Nice build and sweet post.
Old 02-02-2011, 01:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

im glad you stopped using that all thread crap, haha. when i saw you using it on the 2nd alt setup i was like NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

your fab work has gotten ALOT better through the build, good stuff.

you might consider running a set of front and mid plates, you'll free up alot of room for the headers, loose a little weight, and gain alot of rigidity. every little bit counts.
Old 02-02-2011, 03:37 AM
8 Second Club

loooool the all thread was just to hold it in place so i can see how it looks

as for the mid and front motor plates, i wish i could run them but class rules don't allow us to use them , i think i could use them only if the engine mounts are still there but its a grey area .

Denali , i think my best was 8.5 or 8.6 if i recall correctly .
Old 02-02-2011, 03:40 AM
8 Second Club

pooooop!
i just got off the phone with the shop manager and he said they are real busy and could not do anything till the 18th ,,, and the race will be on the 23rd so no headers for me ....

guess its back to the 2 inch headers again
Old 02-03-2011, 02:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

2 3/8th seems phucking HUGE, even for 1200hp.
Old 02-04-2011, 02:18 AM
8 Second Club

more poop but in a good way i guess , i took a look at the flanges i got and guess what : they were 1-7/8 port size ! now imagine i drove all the way to Qatar only to find out i gave them the wrong flage size !

kmracer, i know its a bit big , but i'm anticipating future growth

but to tell you the truth i'm starting to think ( espacially after talking to kurt) that i should go with 2-1/4 primaries into a 4.5 collector .

anyhow , i was looking at the car last night and started mocking up how the header tube routing is going to look like , cause i think i'll be taking a crack at it

so i just ordered a set of 2-1/4 flanges and will order a bunch of mandrel bends in the same size and see what i can do
Old 02-19-2011, 04:22 AM
8 Second Club

i got the new flanges i ordered from madman, he made me a set of stainless steel 2-1/4 primary header flanges : (the LS7 gaskets look anemic compared to these ! )

furthermore , i put the 2" headers back on the car since the plan is to go racing this weekend (depending on the political forcast ) , if not then its off to qatar for the new headers.

moving on , i placed an order for a whole bunch of parts from racecraft and some other vendors a little while ago , and there has been a steady stream of parts showing up

to begin with me and TNT Addict got in on the group perchase for the lexan window kits , and i got a a set of windows to do the whole car ( sorry no pics )

also , i got a set of dual rear claiper strange brakes:

and also ordered a drag steering coloum along with with quick release hub and steering wheel :

and because i might get the headers done soon i decided to install the column so as to know what room there is to build the headers. so out came the stocker and in went the new one here is a comparison :

and here is how it looks on the car , the wheel sticks out too much for my taste , so i'll have to shorten it when i get back ( its going to be removed any way to get powder coated) :

i also got in the new 9" housing in , its too pretty to put on the car

and here is whats going in the housing: lightweight aluminum 3rd member with 40 spline spool :

and to to connect all that a new torque arm

i'm still waiting on the new anti-roll bar as well as some chromolly tubing to make x bars on the doors as well as down tuber from the cage to the front of the car ( frame horns).
also on the way are a set of mark williams 40 spline lightened axles to stuff into the housing.

off course i don't think i'll have time to install all these items this season , so i'll probably take my time and wait till the off season (summer over here) and do them all at once ( well maybe the shocks will be installed soon )

other plans i have is to convert to a mechanical pump and fabricate a small tank up front ,,, but thats not so high on my to do list right now
Old 02-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Teching In

finally its loosing weight
Old 02-19-2011, 11:12 PM
TECH Resident

Is it going to be ready for next round in Bahrain?
Old 02-20-2011, 05:14 AM
8 Second Club

sultan , why did you change your name
good to hear from you dude

denali , the car is ready its actually loaded up and sitting on the trailer in my garage , i was going to tow it with me ( i'm khobar right now) but given the current situation in baharin i thought might as well leave it there and if the situation gets better towards the weekend i'll drive back and get it

the parts you see above will probably go on in a few months and not for this round
Old 02-26-2011, 04:39 AM
8 Second Club

the 2-1/4" bends i ordered came in , so i started working on the new headers . first order of business was to make a mock up header out of some PVC pipe and bends . i had to use 45 deg bends all though the mock up phase cause they follow the real header tube bend nicely . i also put the plug wires on so that i can work around them and insure easy plug access.

here is the begining of the process, i started from the #8 primary and worked my way forward:

and thats when i ran out of elbows

any how , after looking all over the place at headers today i decided to modify the routing i have right now , the difference will be that the # 6 primary will be on top of the #8 primary where they go horizontal , and #4 will be closer to the block and closer to #8. that way i get better primary tube length and all i have to do is route #2 forward then down.

more to come as soon as the plumber calls
Old 02-26-2011, 08:37 AM
Staging Lane

Cant go wrong with the Racecraft stuff. Its Top notch stuff. There also good friend and only 30mins from my shop
Old 02-26-2011, 08:38 AM
Staging Lane

Also are you sure your blower is clocked in the right position. The tag is facing down and should be up right now. Just thought i would ask...

Dan
Old 02-26-2011, 01:46 PM
TECH Resident

It must cost you a fortune to ship heavy stuff. What shipping method are you using, 1dirtyZ?
Old 02-27-2011, 02:12 AM
8 Second Club

dans , it is clocked correctly , i did take it appart and relocated the slinger to the other side . ( you're paying attention )

denali , look into MYUS.com , good people .

more plumbing details

i rerouted the hoses to see if it would work that way and it did . i get primarries with less variation in length than the previous design. here is how the second incarnation looks :

and here is how it is after screwing everything inplace :

another thing to note is that i changed the collector angle , initially i had it at about a 45 degree angle (refrencing from the face of the block) , but it was somewhat of a hassle so i changed it and made it parallel to the face of the block ( pointing to the sides at a 90 deg angle from the face of the car):

i'm still on the fence on the collector angle , but either way , having made the PVC header gave me a proof of concept and now i know what to avoid,,, plus if ever we start running these cars on water instead of gas i'll be set !

so , next step is to decide on the collector location and figuring a way to fix it there so it doesn't move when i'm fitting the tubes.
Old 02-27-2011, 02:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1dirtyZ
and thats when i ran out of elbows
I didnt see that coming but once I did, I was not surprised LOL
Old 02-27-2011, 02:43 AM
8 Second Club

now i'm having dirty thoughts of placing the collector inboard of the frame rails
(right next to the gear drive and have the outlet snake under the rail to the side)
Old 02-27-2011, 02:50 AM
8 Second Club

and then i thought about the driver side and i woke up from my wet dream

not sure if i can run the collector the same way on the driver side, i'll have go back to the shop and look at it

Quick Reply: 1dirtyZ V3.2 build (F2 procharger , 427, etc. )