Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

ST80 problem....poop.

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2008, 08:20 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read the whole thread, seems like everyone else is having great luck with the bullseye turbo...and I saw him mention FI, but is he now running one of your turbos and it is now working?

Or...?
Old 07-11-2008, 10:13 PM
9 Second Club

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

***UPDATE***

Attention DrTurbo (Jose specifically):

I have been thinking all day about our conversation earlier. I never got the pics you said you would send me of the "aluminum" in my compressor side. I am very interested to see, as is my friend/mechanic who helped me with the install. There is no damage to the very small amount of aluminum on my K/N air filter.....so I can't see how else something could have got in there. We both inspected the turbo after removing it and didn't see anything in there.

Before installation I also had the turbo taped up and double bagged in heavy duty plastic trash bags......in a box. We are both having a hard time figuring out where this shrapnel could have came from.
Old 07-11-2008, 11:30 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ninetres
***UPDATE***

Attention DrTurbo (Jose specifically):

I have been thinking all day about our conversation earlier. I never got the pics you said you would send me of the "aluminum" in my compressor side. I am very interested to see, as is my friend/mechanic who helped me with the install. There is no damage to the very small amount of aluminum on my K/N air filter.....so I can't see how else something could have got in there. We both inspected the turbo after removing it and didn't see anything in there.

Before installation I also had the turbo taped up and double bagged in heavy duty plastic trash bags......in a box. We are both having a hard time figuring out where this shrapnel could have came from.
Here is the best pics we could get of it......

As you can see whatever it is that went from the intake side into the compressor cover wedged itself between the compressor wheel and compressor cover at the radius since it could not make the turn their. The piece that is their left a nice little notch on the compressor wheel. The compressor wheel is perfect except for that notch....... Turbo still spins perfect but sounded like someone putting a card into spokes on a bicycle when the cover was on..... The piece sticks up "above" the compressor cover about 1/8th of an inch. When something happens to a turbo you get the compressor wheel digging a groove into the compressor cover and leaving grooves cut into the comp cover, this is the complete opposite. The compressor cover is perfect except for that piece sticking out and the obvious where it hit and friction welded it to the cover. Still scratching our heads on what it was.....but something got sucked in and made it almost through the comp wheel....and the rest into the intercooler. I would check the intercooler next...make sure nothing else got through. We'll take care of it and swap in a new comp wheel.
Attached Thumbnails ST80 problem....poop.-img_0082.jpg  
Old 07-12-2008, 08:13 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thats good customer service! Thanks Doc.
Old 07-12-2008, 09:32 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 52172
Thats good customer service! Thanks Doc.
SOUNDED like I still gotta pay for the new wheel (at a good price), but it wasn't really a final-final conversation.....just a quick chat once my turbo showed up there. But its still frustrating because the only place I can think that aluminum could have came from is outer space lol.

PS--To be honest I can't even tell exactly what that picture is of
Old 07-12-2008, 10:27 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds to me they are gonna put in a new wheel and take care of the cost? How about a little clearification Doc.?
Old 07-12-2008, 10:46 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

We decided since we really have NO idea where the stuff came from we will cover it. Its obvious it got sucked in....but what it was we have no idea. Sean, the picture is of the radius where the piece got wedged in on the comp cover.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:21 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
We decided since we really have NO idea where the stuff came from we will cover it. Its obvious it got sucked in....but what it was we have no idea. Sean, the picture is of the radius where the piece got wedged in on the comp cover.
That is awesome guys! Thanks so much.....you know I will be doing business with you guys for all of my turbo/turbo-part needs! I've been thinking twins for my next build just to do something different than my several single builds over the last couple years. I really want to give my friend/fabrictor a chance to show off his skills!

PS--Remember I need that undivided T4 flange GASKET. So shoot me a PM or what not and let me know what it costs.
Old 07-12-2008, 02:33 PM
Launching!

Default .....

[QUOTE=70Stang;9690501]I read the whole thread, seems like everyone else is having great luck with the bullseye turbo...and I saw him mention FI, but is he now running one of your turbos and it is now working?

Or...?[/QUO

I'm not sure where the Bullseye comment came from...I live about a 1/2 miles from their shop,and I'll promise they don't use anything from Bullseye,they have CNC's runing day and night,awesome place and nice bunch of guys to boot.
Old 08-08-2008, 12:15 AM
9 Second Club

UPDATE 8-7-08:

Got the turbo back today (and gasket) for a no charge warranty repair from FI.com!!!!! I'll start by saying I am VERY impressed with how FI has taken care of me from start to finish with my turbo needs.

Opened the box and inspected it. Seemed to spin freely and fine. Immediately and thoroughly cleaned all of the mounting surfaces on it. Then put the air filter on it (within 10 minutes of the box being opened. Installed it very carefully.

Started the car. Idled great with no noise at all from the turbo. let it heat up.....still no noise. Killed the car and the turbo was nice and silent. Went to get food in my tahoe. Came back and took her for a short 5 minute spin. Gave her 1/4 throttle and about 2psi or so for a couple seconds at a time. Nothing over 4k rpms. Pulled into the garage, got out of the car and propped the hood open. Had my buddy kill the ignition and I heard a VERY slight noise coming from the turbo. Maybe 2 or 3 very quiet little "knocks" is how I would describe it. It didn't sound very metallic like the last time the wheel was rubbing on the mystery shrapnel. I might just be being a little paranoid considering all of my bad luck with this turbo.

Am I trippin' Dr. Turbo? Is it normal to hear a noise or two when it comes to a stop or should it be silence? Is it because the oil pressure drops when I kill the ignition? I'll give her another test drive tomorrow night and report back.
Old 08-08-2008, 02:56 AM
10 Second Club

^^^^^^^^^^^ Sure hope everything turns out ok for you!
Old 08-08-2008, 08:40 AM
11 Second Club

Sure hope its ok man, I'm ready to see more street stalking hilarity from you and Mr. President (I'm talking about the vid on streetfire I think where you guys line out a Ford GT in one of your cars)...funny stuff!

If all is well, will you be dynoing it pretty soon? Keep us posted on the numbers!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:55 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by ninetres
UPDATE 8-7-08:

Got the turbo back today (and gasket) for a no charge warranty repair from FI.com!!!!! I'll start by saying I am VERY impressed with how FI has taken care of me from start to finish with my turbo needs.

Opened the box and inspected it. Seemed to spin freely and fine. Immediately and thoroughly cleaned all of the mounting surfaces on it. Then put the air filter on it (within 10 minutes of the box being opened. Installed it very carefully.

Started the car. Idled great with no noise at all from the turbo. let it heat up.....still no noise. Killed the car and the turbo was nice and silent. Went to get food in my tahoe. Came back and took her for a short 5 minute spin. Gave her 1/4 throttle and about 2psi or so for a couple seconds at a time. Nothing over 4k rpms. Pulled into the garage, got out of the car and propped the hood open. Had my buddy kill the ignition and I heard a VERY slight noise coming from the turbo. Maybe 2 or 3 very quiet little "knocks" is how I would describe it. It didn't sound very metallic like the last time the wheel was rubbing on the mystery shrapnel. I might just be being a little paranoid considering all of my bad luck with this turbo.

Am I trippin' Dr. Turbo? Is it normal to hear a noise or two when it comes to a stop or should it be silence? Is it because the oil pressure drops when I kill the ignition? I'll give her another test drive tomorrow night and report back.
You will here noises from the bearing assembly, that is normal. When you shut the car off, no more oil pressure to support the bearings. The turbo will then have slack.......hehe. Just get back in the car and crank on it.....that is what I'm waiting for...lol. I want to see a vid of it doing a flyby at 20psi!!!
Old 08-08-2008, 12:16 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by DrTurbo
You will here noises from the bearing assembly, that is normal. When you shut the car off, no more oil pressure to support the bearings. The turbo will then have slack.......hehe. Just get back in the car and crank on it.....that is what I'm waiting for...lol. I want to see a vid of it doing a flyby at 20psi!!!
20????? Probably not! No 6 bolt heads here! I think 14 will make for some great footage though

I'm pretty sure its okay too.....just being a little paranoid I think. It wasn't the same metallic sound as before. I'll get her tuned in the next two weeks!

Quick Reply: ST80 problem....poop.