Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Minimum acceptable clearance between alternator pulley and blower pulley?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 11:35 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Minimum acceptable clearance between alternator pulley and blower pulley?

I'm this close to rolling this car off a bridge.

I got a new alternator (Powermaster) which technically has a stock case but is assembled in such a way that it is slightly thicker. As I found out tonight, that slight difference is just enough to make the pulleys touch face to face. I had maybe 1/8" clearance before the swap. After some measuring, I found out the new alternators pulley is a hair thicker as well. I can swap pulleys and get about 1/16" clearance. Right now they are extremely close, but still spin freely. I'm sure they touch a little though.

Will 1/16" be enough clearance? I'm inclined to think yes, but this car has successfully whooped my *** so many times I figure I better check.
Old 07-19-2008, 12:12 AM
11Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no pro, but I would definitely be comfortable with the 1/16" clearance. I mean, if they move that much, then the brackets are completely inadequate, IMO.
Old 07-19-2008, 06:07 AM
9 Second Club

Received 180 Likes on 155 Posts

Any pics ??

I have a steel bracket right in front of my alt pulley, where i fitted an additional idler. I maybe have about 2mm clearance at most.
Old 07-19-2008, 07:54 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I'll get a pic after I get the pulley swapped, which will hopefully fix the issue. I might even try to clearance the pulley on a belt sander first.
Old 07-19-2008, 09:09 AM
Banned

you should have just went with th stocker as I suggested during our phone conversation and you would have had no issues

really though...you can machine off a touch from both the blower and alternator pulley if needed for clearance

keep me posted if this resolves your issues
Old 07-19-2008, 11:15 AM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I couldnt even slide a piece of paper between the alternator and blower pulley, but I use a larger alternator pulley to slow the alternator down some. The stock smaller alternator pulley wasnt even close.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
you should have just went with th stocker as I suggested during our phone conversation and you would have had no issues

really though...you can machine off a touch from both the blower and alternator pulley if needed for clearance

keep me posted if this resolves your issues

As KP can probably attest to, the stocker doesn't do a good job of charging at the track. My stocker (which was good BTW) had a hard time keeping up.

But thanks for the advice Larry, I do appreciate it!

Oh, and I machined the pulley down some and got it all installed. Just got done cruising around in this heat with both fans and even the headlights on. Voltage never dropped below 13.3, and mostly sayed at 13.5, even at hot idle and everything on! I am a happy camper now. Its frigging hot out today, and the car never got above 190.

Part of me is very happy that its fixed, part of me is kinda pissed that they sent me 2 bad alternators and made me go nuts replacing other parts.
Old 07-19-2008, 04:52 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by kp
I couldnt even slide a piece of paper between the alternator and blower pulley, but I use a larger alternator pulley to slow the alternator down some. The stock smaller alternator pulley wasnt even close.

Do you use a larger alternator pulley to pick up power or to keep the alternator from overspinning?
Old 07-19-2008, 05:10 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TS6
Do you use a larger alternator pulley to pick up power or to keep the alternator from overspinning?
Just for a little extra power. Car draws a crapload of current as it is, then you hit the voltblaster at 15v or whatever and the alternator probably takes more horsepower to turn then the blower

I have a 10% underdrive ATI damper, I think the alternator pulley (ASP) is another 10% if I remember.
Old 07-19-2008, 08:09 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

I bought one of those volt boosters too, but I'm gonna wait till I talk to Powermaster to see if I should use it. I'm taking no chances!
Old 07-21-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

cool...glad to see it seems to be worked out.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:17 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
cool...glad to see it seems to be worked out.

Yeah, me too.

Thanks for your time on the phone and thanks for not trying to sell me parts that I didn't really need. Alot of companies would have taken advantage of my situation and pushed to sell me stuff. Your honesty is much appreciated, I won't forget it!

Quick Reply: Minimum acceptable clearance between alternator pulley and blower pulley?