2.05%
Vortech V3
9.23%
Procharger DS1C
82.05%
Other
6.67%
Voters: 195. You may not vote on this poll

Who makes the best head unit? Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, etc.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 12:11 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragaholic
Why do all the F-body folks prefer Procharger, yet on the other side of the spectrum (Corvettes), prefer Paxton or Vortech?
EPP has great support on here (LS1tech.com) and most people on here will recommend Procharger most of the time. Not to mention they have done alot of work to make the Procharger fit and work well in the F Body with more then jsut the P1SC and D1SC. Novi does not have a kit for the F Body (and no vendors are even really trying to make one work), Magnacharger has one finally only you have to modify the car to make it fit, those kits are by 2 vendors LMS and MTI. And finally Vortech jsut had too many issues on thier earlier kits and not many vendors stepped up to make them better, most previous vendors just sold base kits..

Most Corvette guys get thier kits from vendors that support the corvetteforum. Thier 2 bigger vendors use to buy Procharger head units ( *** Corvette and *CS I edited the names due to them not being vendors here but if you troll the vette forums you know who they are) and used custom brackets and FMIC kits that out performed Prochargers earlier base kits at similar costs and fixed earlier issues Prochargers where plagued with for a while, mostly belt slippage. Prior to 2005 its was rare to see anything other then a procharger on the C5's. I believe a conflict came up over service or pricing and they dropped Procharger and went to making custom Vortech and Novi setups using those head units. I am sure alot of those issues have past, but since the other kits work very well on Corvettes they have kept them. I think that happened around 2004 or 2005. I bought my P1SC FMIC Kit for my 2000 C5 from one of those vendors in 2004 so it happened soon after that I think.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:16 AM
Restricted User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Procherger has new quiet P1-D1's head units

Procharger was at the Ramp chevy dealership car show hear on longisland, They showed off a new helli-cut style P1-sc blower, They will also offer a D1-sc , wider gears in the super quiet version to make up for strength, The gears were fine tooth meshed for quite operation,

I never heard one yett, but the way it was built, i could tell it being a much quiter blower.

unfoutenley your P1 and D1 blowers cant be rebuilt or upgraded to a quiet unit.

Dam!
Old 02-02-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Location: Somewhere Between Mild Insanity and Complete Psychosis

Why do all the F-body folks prefer Procharger, yet on the other side of the spectrum (Corvettes), prefer Paxton or Vortech?
#1 - The best complete kits for the Corvettes are made by two different shops, A&A and ECS. They are far superior to the factory kits made by Vortech or ProCharger.

#2 - A&A and ECS both used to use ProCharger head units, until ProCharger told them they couldn't anymore unless they bought and sold x number of ProCharger kits. This not only pissed off those two builders, but the entire C5 FI community on the forum as well. ECS now uses Paxton, A&A uses Vortech.

#3 Combine the above move with some major customer service problems back then, and people were REALLY disgusted with them.

I bought my kit used, hence the ProCharger headunit since it's an older kit.

ProCharger makes the best head units IMO. But their old kits for the Corvette were complete trash. Their newer design is a bit better.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy their kit if you bought it from Bob. I only spent a few $$$ on missing parts from my used kit and Bob treated me like I was a best customer. Plus EPP sells the kit already upgraded to 8 rib and with a D1SC for a great price.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:07 AM
EPP
FormerVendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by will82
#1 - The best complete kits for the Corvettes are made by two different shops, A&A and ECS. They are far superior to the factory kits made by Vortech or ProCharger.

#2 - A&A and ECS both used to use ProCharger head units, until ProCharger told them they couldn't anymore unless they bought and sold x number of ProCharger kits. This not only pissed off those two builders, but the entire C5 FI community on the forum as well. ECS now uses Paxton, A&A uses Vortech.

#3 Combine the above move with some major customer service problems back then, and people were REALLY disgusted with them.

I bought my kit used, hence the ProCharger headunit since it's an older kit.

ProCharger makes the best head units IMO. But their old kits for the Corvette were complete trash. Their newer design is a bit better.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy their kit if you bought it from Bob. I only spent a few $$$ on missing parts from my used kit and Bob treated me like I was a best customer. Plus EPP sells the kit already upgraded to 8 rib and with a D1SC for a great price.
Thanks, I appreciate it! Bob
Old 02-11-2009, 09:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Default Vortec sucked for me!

I had a bad supercharger from vortec about 5 years agoon my 95 LT1 T/A.They keep repair the seal every other month.It kept leaking and they were trying to blame me ,saying my oil return bung was to low in my oil pan which was not letting the oil out of the supercharger! which it wasnt!! It takes 1 minute to remove and check by blowing threw the oil return tube!LOL Finally, the 4th time i shipped it back even after they changed it to a gear type for the louder whine sound LOL, i told em to heat the case and test it at operation temps which they FINALLY did and appologized to me and FINALLY sent me a brand new one The case was bad and when heated,it would distort causing oil to blow by the seal!After all that bullshit LOL I put the new one back on and sold the car that week to use as a deposite on my 02 35th LE SS
Old 03-01-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Thumbs up

All the C6 versions are T-Trim:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...143&cat_key=12

They now offer a self-contained V3 and is available for the C6 as well:

http://www.vortechsuperchargers.com/...2&section=News
Check out that company on that site.....SPEEDFACTORYCARS....GREAT SITE.
Old 03-14-2009, 01:04 AM
10 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

+1 for EPP. I've only bought a couple of pulleys and a plenum from them and they treated me extremely well, everyone over there is very helpful!
Old 05-14-2009, 02:51 PM
11 Second Club

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a Vortech System and love it, it has always been reliable and created good times and numbers for me, espically living at 5,800 ft above sea level. With out a 9inch or a 12 bolt in a M6 car.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:38 AM
Launching!

I just recently bought a kenne bell 2.8l. When everything gets done I'll let you know how it is so you'll have another option to buy.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:04 PM
Staging Lane

obvious Procharger by a land slide... I love mine drives like stock, till i step on it..

Quick Reply: Who makes the best head unit? Paxton, Vortech, Procharger, etc.?