Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Extremely Bad Night

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 08:24 PM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6

Jake, if I contracted EPP for a motor build and sold the car a week after you installed and tuned it and it blew up, you'd tell the new owner to pound sand?
Apples to oranges, it was far from a week after.

And it HIGHLY depends on the motor, if were talking a mild build then yes we would most likely take care of it. If you have n20 or a large power adder then its your baby. Then again, if your out there running a top speed run trying to hit 180mph and you spin a bearing, its your baby.

Just about 90% of race shops will not warranty a motor, except for oil pressure on start up. Sounds harsh, but if your going to race it, then you assume all liabilities and everything that comes with it.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:43 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP

And it HIGHLY depends on the motor, if were talking a mild build then yes we would most likely take care of it. If you have n20 or a large power adder then its your baby. Then again, if your out there running a top speed run trying to hit 180mph and you spin a bearing, its your baby.

Just about 90% of race shops will not warranty a motor, except for oil pressure on start up. Sounds harsh, but if your going to race it, then you assume all liabilities and everything that comes with it.

How should racing a maggie car be any different than street driving it? The blower didn't fail, the intercooler did.

I understand that "race" motors can't be easily warrantied, but I think when theres an obvious manufacturers defect that there should be an exception.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:51 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by TS6
How should racing a maggie car be any different than street driving it? The blower didn't fail, the intercooler did.

I understand that "race" motors can't be easily warrantied, but I think when theres an obvious manufacturers defect that there should be an exception.
Im just saying its going to be hard to have a blower manufacture cover a motor. If they help him out that is awsome and props to them, but many times this is not the case.
Old 08-20-2008, 08:58 PM
TECH Resident

Location: sneaking in your back door as you leave!/cartersville ga

this interesting to me, because since my troubles. i have been talking to fast and the conversation arose about warranty. to make a long story short. they essentially said that if a computer malfunction happened on there end that they would do everything in there power to help me out. and yes i did mention motor. but evidently they have helped people in the past w/ something similiar to my issue.

but everyhting checked out on the fast. so..................
Old 08-20-2008, 09:33 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Jake@EPP

Yes..... But I was not racing This was 2 hrs later and the car was parked.

This was most definitely a manufacturer defect.

Apples to Oranges..Jake If this happened to a customer of yours would you go to bat for them w/ the manufacturer? Now what about the second owner?
I would say that if I found out that the I/C was bad I would have just purchaced a new one and been done with it but their defect is going to cost me a minimum of 4k out of my pocket not including labor! Is that really my fault my fault?

Not trying to flame Jake just asking his opinion.

Doug
Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 PM
12 Second Club

Sucks but I am glad you and your daughter didnt make it to the drive home..... that scares the crap out of me because Ive driven my daughter to the track to watch and then drove home.

Better yet be glad you werent clippin 120+ down the track and then havin a wheel let go.

Glad you guys are ok....
Old 09-02-2008, 03:29 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 898 Likes on 640 Posts

Any updates on this?
Old 09-02-2008, 02:13 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by LilJayV10
Any updates on this?

Not yet, Working on an extermely tight budget. I'm doing a forged 6.0l w/ 317s.
I'll update as soon as I can get something going.

Thanks for the kind words guys.

Doug
Old 09-26-2008, 08:58 AM
Staging Lane

Wow man, I can't even imagine how ya feel. **** happens ya know, just rebuild and live it up from there! Glad you guys are safe!
Old 09-26-2008, 02:10 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its so hard to get a car manufacturer to cover anything never mind a performance company...I had an 03 expedition that had issues from the very beginning. Bought it in 05 and it had 20,000 miles on it. Also had an extended warranty for 5 years 60K miles. First thing that happens is the check engine light comes on. Have it scanned and it has something to do with the oil pump. Take it to the dealership and get it back and the lights off, problem solved! Nope...they tuned the light off and the engine grenades. They finally agree to warranty it and get me a new engine. 2 months later, cant turn on the car...no power at all. Check the battery, its fine, turns out the entire ECU **** the bed. Have the car towed to the Ford dealership and have to fight with them to replace that. Finally everything gets fixed and its fine for apporx 6-7 months. Then one day im going to back out of my driveway and the car wont go into reverse...wouldnt you know it tranny **** the bed! I finally got them to buy back the car after threatening to sue them and filing a suit with the BBB as I just couldnt deal with it anymore. This was all with a 2 year old car that had a warranty so i can only imagine how hard it will be to try and get magnuson to pay...good luck though and glad your safe, plus sounds like a real nice build you have going for ya!
Old 09-26-2008, 05:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TS6
I'm sorry but if a manufacturers faulty part destroyed my motor I'd lawyer up and sue. I would win too, that is complete bullshit. As far as it being a race part, seriously, its a maggie. Its not like he's running an F3R and blew it up because of low octane. This is not user error in any sense.

I guess the manufacturer is lucky, he's being easy going about. I'd ******* dig up Johnny Cochran and own that place.

And what does it being used have to do with it? Its been on ONE CAR for 1500 miles. He bought the car used. The fact that the original owner doesn't own the car doesn't matter. If he bought THE BLOWER used I could almost agree, but its been installed on one car (by a dealer I might add) for a very short period.

Jake, if I contracted EPP for a motor build and sold the car a week after you installed and tuned it and it blew up, you'd tell the new owner to pound sand?

There is no way Maggie is going to pay for his motor.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:03 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by nuckifuts
There is no way Maggie is going to pay for his motor.

I'd sue them anyway, it is 100% their fault. You'd have no problem getting a professional to attest to that.

At a minimum I'd get a big *** sticker for the back window that says "Magnuson Sucks". Send me one and I'll stick it on my car, none of the maggie cars could hang anyway.
Old 10-06-2008, 05:13 AM
Banned

Subscribed.
Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by theblur98ss
Wow that's a rough night. What the hell happened to the rims?
thats why they tell you you not to drive on those rims on the street because all the bumps and vibrations will crack the rims , i had another guy do the same thing because he drove them on the street .. sorry to hear that man hope next year will be better for you ..

Last edited by possessed1; 12-01-2008 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:04 AM
Teching In

Same thing happened to me, EXACT same thing. Only mine sat over night and when I went to start, boom. All my parts look EXACTLY like the pictures here. I talked a lot with magnuson and they wont be helping you purchase a new engine, thats for sure. They are really slow when it comes to warranty stuff it seems but they are at least helpful. They are sending me a new intercooler (an updated version) for free under warranty but thats it. My new engine was about 6 grand for the short block ... went with a forged 408 this time around. None the less, very very very very disappointing ... infact, im still super pissed off about it.

good luck with yours man ... I know your pain.
Old 11-27-2008, 02:19 AM
TECH Resident

what's up doug? Its lionel, I met you at brainerd one night with the pewter vert 6spd ss. Sorry to hear about your car, that's tragic! good luck!
Old 11-27-2008, 05:00 AM
9 Second Club

i had the same thing happen to me the stuck in water from a large water hole in a parking lot killed the car. towed it home pulled the plugs got the water out of it. went to trun it over and a rod was broke, put a hole in the block broke the starter. and the really bad part is that it was my friends car so i know your pain bro
Old 11-27-2008, 08:31 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewinderx7
Same thing happened to me, EXACT same thing. Only mine sat over night and when I went to start, boom. All my parts look EXACTLY like the pictures here. I talked a lot with magnuson and they wont be helping you purchase a new engine, thats for sure. They are really slow when it comes to warranty stuff it seems but they are at least helpful. They are sending me a new intercooler (an updated version) for free under warranty but thats it. My new engine was about 6 grand for the short block ... went with a forged 408 this time around. None the less, very very very very disappointing ... infact, im still super pissed off about it.

good luck with yours man ... I know your pain.

Thats bullshit.

I'm telling both of you, get a lawyer and fight this ****. How is this not 100% their fault?

I own a HVAC co. If I put a new furnace in your house and **** up the gas line and burn your house down, am I not responsible for the damage? Any court in the free ******* world would say I am. Do you think I could get away with saying "Well, yeah your house is gone, and its my fault for ******* up the gas line, so I will replace the gas line."? Absolutely not.

I can't believe Maggie doesn't at least have the morals to even partially cover the damages, like offer to pay for parts or something. Thats just a shitty way to run a business.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:45 AM
11 Second Club

this is interesting to say the least. i cannot imagine what either of you hav egone through with blowing motors due to a defective part. the fact that magnuson has an updated version of the IC means they know its an issue. liability definately falls on them for the motor. Their faulty part caused the destruction of the the rest of the motor. Had the IC not been faulty the motor would be ok. failure A caused failure B, if the manufacturer acknowledges that part A was faulty they basically admit responsibility for the rest.
I'd be all over them like white on rice for the whole thing.
Old 11-27-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That is the second time now I have seen a bogart rim do that exact same thing!

Quick Reply: Extremely Bad Night