Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Extremely Bad Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:25 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

intercoolers on screw type blowers are sandwiched between the blower and head. The heat exchanger is made into the intake itself. Hence if one leaks the water goes straight into the valve valley.

My questions: It's winter. I don't know where you live but could the water have frozen and split the exchanger? May not have had antifreeze put in after the install.

Sorry man. That sucks.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:03 AM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 98catfish
Update, talked to bryan from maggie today they will be rebuilding/replacing the intercooler and doing a complete rebuild on my unit w/ a warranty at no charge except I have to pay for shipping.

As for the motor I am on my own however I do realize that there are very few companies that will warranty anything beyond their own product regardless of what else is damaged.

I feel fortunate that they have agreed to repair/replace the blower parts.

Thanks to Bryan aka"Blownchevy" for all your help

Doug
Congratulations on getting that much. So now you just have to decide which way you are going to go with the motor.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
Nobody in this thread has said anything about how the intercooler failed.

How does something completely seperate from the engine, the intercooler, which is used to cool the blower, get water into the engine?

How could this problem not have happened from a blown head gasket? You can get water into the combustion chamber that way as well.

If an intercooler failed, wouldn't it just lead out of the intercooler onto the ground, and not into the engine?

Read the VERY FIRST POST. It explains how the ic failed.

Jesus H Christ, am I the only literate person alive?
Old 12-13-2008, 10:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TS6
Jesus H Christ, am I the only literate person alive?
Im here with you. lol Im just sitting here shaking my head at some of the replies. I can see both sides, but given the circumstances I think the OP should be getting more than just his blower rebuilt.
Old 12-13-2008, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ericwilloughby
My questions: It's winter. I don't know where you live but could the water have frozen and split the exchanger? May not have had antifreeze put in after the install.
As far as I know its in the 80s in Florida right now, winter doesnt affect everyone like it does us Northern guys. I would think if its winter where that guy is at that the dragstrip would be closed.
Old 12-13-2008, 05:35 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1989k1500
Im here with you. lol Im just sitting here shaking my head at some of the replies. I can see both sides, but given the circumstances I think the OP should be getting more than just his blower rebuilt.

I swear to god no one is even reading the posts anymore. They are just typing blind.
Old 12-13-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guys check the date on my first post. This happened during the hottest time of the year.

Maggies have a Heater core style heat exchanger between the blower and intake. Water/coolant is pumped in and out the exchanger to cool the compressed air from the blower. Somehow the exchanger got a crack in it and leaked into the intake which drained into the heads and through an open valve travled into the cylinder. Then when I turned the key it hydrolocked the motor.

I hope this clears up all of the misunderstandings.

Doug
Old 12-13-2008, 09:18 PM
blownerator

Boy this thread took a turn for the worse......

FYI, although it is being covered under warranty, the chances of the previous owner not using coolant are pretty high. I have NEVER seen a core fail from normal use, the only cores I have seen fail were from expansion due to freezing.

That being said, yes it is being fixed......and that is the end of the story.
Old 12-14-2008, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98catfish
Guys check the date on my first post. This happened during the hottest time of the year.

Maggies have a Heater core style heat exchanger between the blower and intake. Water/coolant is pumped in and out the exchanger to cool the compressed air from the blower. Somehow the exchanger got a crack in it and leaked into the intake which drained into the heads and through an open valve travled into the cylinder. Then when I turned the key it hydrolocked the motor.

I hope this clears up all of the misunderstandings.

Doug
No it really doesn't, what do you mean "between the blower and intake"?

To me, with an MP112 setup, the blower IS the intake, as opposed to a FAST, or LS6. I thought the exchanger/intercooler was mounted in front of the radiator, now I hear it's actually in the blower?

That's why I didn't understand how that could have locked the engine if the defective part was infront of the radiator.

What were you using for coolant? Dextron or water with a wetting additive? I'm under the impression that during warmer months, water with an additive would be better than dextron.

That's what I'll be using in mine.

Is sounds to me now that the blower was the defective piece now and not the intercooler, because all that comes assembled from Magnusson.

It's definitely a different story now.

You should post some pics of the blower?
Old 12-14-2008, 09:28 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by joblo1978
No it really doesn't, what do you mean "between the blower and intake"?

To me, with an MP112 setup, the blower IS the intake, as opposed to a FAST, or LS6. I thought the exchanger/intercooler was mounted in front of the radiator, now I hear it's actually in the blower?

That's why I didn't understand how that could have locked the engine if the defective part was infront of the radiator.

What were you using for coolant? Dextron or water with a wetting additive? I'm under the impression that during warmer months, water with an additive would be better than dextron.

That's what I'll be using in mine.

Is sounds to me now that the blower was the defective piece now and not the intercooler, because all that comes assembled from Magnusson.

It's definitely a different story now.

You should post some pics of the blower?
Dude, its been explained a good 3 or 4 times here. There is a heat exchanger between the blower and lower intake, which has fluid for cooling running through it. It was defective, causing that fluid to leak into the motor. Fluid doesn't compress.

BTW, its not "a different story now", its the same story and you just now have taken the initiative to read (or be told repeatedly) the whole story.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:37 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by sidewinderx7
Same thing happened to me, EXACT same thing. Only mine sat over night and when I went to start, boom. All my parts look EXACTLY like the pictures here. I talked a lot with magnuson and they wont be helping you purchase a new engine, thats for sure. They are really slow when it comes to warranty stuff it seems but they are at least helpful. They are sending me a new intercooler (an updated version) for free under warranty but thats it. My new engine was about 6 grand for the short block ... went with a forged 408 this time around. None the less, very very very very disappointing ... infact, im still super pissed off about it.

good luck with yours man ... I know your pain.
Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Boy this thread took a turn for the worse......

FYI, although it is being covered under warranty, the chances of the previous owner not using coolant are pretty high. I have NEVER seen a core fail from normal use, the only cores I have seen fail were from expansion due to freezing.

That being said, yes it is being fixed......and that is the end of the story.

I went ahead and quoted (from this very thread) where its not only happened to others but where Magnacharger addressed the situation with an updated part.

Oh, and just because you haven't seen it with your own eyes doesn't mean it didn't happen. Unless you work at magnacharger I fail to see how that even matters.

And "yes it is being fixed". At the owners expense, despite the obvious fault of the manufacturer.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
Dude, its been explained a good 3 or 4 times here. There is a heat exchanger between the blower and lower intake, which has fluid for cooling running through it. It was defective, causing that fluid to leak into the motor. Fluid doesn't compress.

BTW, its not "a different story now", its the same story and you just now have taken the initiative to read (or be told repeatedly) the whole story.

Allright, I got it. I didn't realize it was actually "inside" the magnacharger assembly until I found this photo.

Pardom me for having never seen the inside of a disassembled mp112 before, jerkoff!

I thought the magnacharger was cooled with coolant channels incorporated into the blower itself with only the external cooler. Didn't know there were two.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-14-2008 at 10:07 AM.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:24 AM
TECH Resident

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

How long had the blower been on the car before the motor hydrolocked?
Old 12-14-2008, 11:23 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by TS6
I went ahead and quoted (from this very thread) where its not only happened to others but where Magnacharger addressed the situation with an updated part.

Oh, and just because you haven't seen it with your own eyes doesn't mean it didn't happen. Unless you work at magnacharger I fail to see how that even matters.

And "yes it is being fixed". At the owners expense, despite the obvious fault of the manufacturer.
Since I do work there and I run the department that sees EVERYTHING that is repaired I can speak from first hand experience. There is not an "updated" part I am not sure where you got that information. These are the SAME intercoolers that are in well over 7500 supercharger systems all over the world and you have found two that had an issue.

I am not sure how you claim it to be the obvious fault of the manufacture? It is obvious to me that the vehicle has been through one owner already, who knows what he did with this blower. Did be spray it with Nitrous? Back fire? METH? No antifreeze in the intercooler and it froze? You are barking up the wrong tree with me, I have seen EVERY trick in the book.

I have authorized the repair of the supercharger at no cost to SECOND owner other than shipping of the blower to and from our facility. Do not believe everything you read on the internet, it is only 40% true. The web is the home of 1000 HP cars that make 500 HP and 9 Second cars that run 11's.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:20 PM
TECH Apprentice

Since I do work there and I run the department that sees EVERYTHING that is repaired I can speak from first hand experience. There is not an "updated" part I am not sure where you got that information. These are the SAME intercoolers that are in well over 7500 supercharger systems all over the world and you have found two that had an issue.

I am not sure how you claim it to be the obvious fault of the manufacture? It is obvious to me that the vehicle has been through one owner already, who knows what he did with this blower. Did be spray it with Nitrous? Back fire? METH? No antifreeze in the intercooler and it froze? You are barking up the wrong tree with me, I have seen EVERY trick in the book.

I have authorized the repair of the supercharger at no cost to SECOND owner other than shipping of the blower to and from our facility. Do not believe everything you read on the internet, it is only 40% true. The web is the home of 1000 HP cars that make 500 HP and 9 Second cars that run 11's.

That's pretty stand up. I'm impressed.
Old 12-14-2008, 01:49 PM
11 Second Club

^^ I agree, much better than I expected was going to happen when I read this a while ago.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:51 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Well, to point out the obvious: IF it had been damaged previously by nitrous, freezing, whatever, why didn't it break when that incident occured? You list freezing as a possibilty. Seriously? Yeah, thats it: It froze, broke, but magically held pressure until driven in the heat of a Florida summer.

How would meth hurt anything?

You say don't believe everything I read online but I'm supposed to believe you? You, who first said you had never seen an ic failure like this, then I point out a second IN THIS VERY THREAD, who, might I ad, also dealt with Magnacharger so you should know about it. Like I would really believe you would tell me or anyone that other ic's had failed. That would be bad for business, of course you wouldn't tell us.

You say "who knows what the previous owner did with the blower". Jesus, what COULD he do with it? It was installed by one of your dealers, my guess is what he did with it was drive it. Again, had it been "damaged" by improper use why did it wait till now to actually fail?

I sure am glad nitrous, meth, cold temps, and backfires can't hurt my Procharger.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:59 PM
blownerator

Originally Posted by prochargedchevyi
That's pretty stand up. I'm impressed.
Originally Posted by TS6
Well, to point out the obvious: IF it had been damaged previously by nitrous, freezing, whatever, why didn't it break when that incident occured? You list freezing as a possibilty. Seriously? Yeah, thats it: It froze, broke, but magically held pressure until driven in the heat of a Florida summer.

You say don't believe everything I read online but I'm supposed to believe you? You, who first said you had never seen an ic failure like this, then I point out a second IN THIS VERY THREAD, who, might I ad, also dealt with Magnacharger so you should know about it. Like I would really believe you would tell me or anyone that other ic's had failed. That would be bad for business, of course you wouldn't tell us.

You say "who knows what the previous owner did with the blower". Jesus, what COULD he do with it? It was installed by one of your dealers, my guess is what he did with it was drive it. Again, had it been "damaged" by improper use why did it wait till now to actually fail?

I sure am glad nitrous, meth, cold temps, and backfires can't hurt my Procharger.
Thanks for the intelligent post. I am glad you have a Procharger
Old 12-15-2008, 03:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6

You still can't substantiate with any of this that the manufacturer is at fault.

I guess once my Magnacharger gets installed, I'll be checking my intercooler reservoir for any signs of coolant loss.

A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:11 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Thanks for the intelligent post. I am glad you have a Procharger

I was honestly hoping you could provide some answers to my questions. I would really like to know how any of those things can hurt the ic. Even if its just for my own knowledge.....

Quick Reply: Extremely Bad Night