Forced Induction Superchargers | Turbochargers | Intercoolers

Extremely Bad Night

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 10:14 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by joblo1978
You still can't substantiate with any of this that the manufacturer is at fault.

I guess once my Magnacharger gets installed, I'll be checking my intercooler reservoir for any signs of coolant loss.

A little preventive maintenance goes a long way.

I check my fluids religiously, especially at the track. That being said, I doubt you're going to check them so frequently that you could catch an issue like this. Will you pop the hood after every stop? Get gas, pop hood, check fluids. Go to store, pop hood.....get home, pop hood....go to friends house, pop hood.....yeah, I doubt it.
Old 12-15-2008, 03:57 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TS6
I check my fluids religiously, especially at the track. That being said, I doubt you're going to check them so frequently that you could catch an issue like this. Will you pop the hood after every stop? Get gas, pop hood, check fluids. Go to store, pop hood.....get home, pop hood....go to friends house, pop hood.....yeah, I doubt it.
Geez man, why is everything you post so overboard an dramatic? Really? Come on? Is that realistic?

I understand it was unfortunate and difficult to detect, but the issue could have been minor, initally overlooked, and then festered.

You're almost insinuating that the intercooler exploded and dumped all it's fluid into the engine at one time. Could have manifested as a small hole or leak initally, was burned as exhaust unnoticed for quite awhile, and eventually the leak increased in size causing the engine to take a **** at that particular time.

I find it hard to believe the system "exploded" and really knowing the intercooler is encased in a baseplate/plenum style assembly, it couldn't have been hit by anything. Maybe his car was sabatoged somehow? You know how at the track people leave their hoods up? Is that even possible? Was the weather an issue? I dunno, how hot was it, and is an overflow incorporated into the system to prevent such damage?

I'll be running this setup soon so I'm paying particular attention to everything posted. I'm wondering what kind of coolant was used. The recommendations I've read call for distilled or de-ionized water with a 50/50 dex mix. Was that the case in this incident? What is the significance of using such water and can damage occur if you don't run it? Unfortunately, the second owner will now probably never know if this was performed correctly. It's kinda buyer beware, especially when buying used ****.

Why would someone post something like this and admit to being at fault anyway? It's just human nature to be in denial when something bad happens, especially something so costly no matter what it is, everyone does it.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-15-2008 at 04:14 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:55 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Geez man, why is everything you post so overboard an dramatic? Really? Come on? Is that realistic?

I understand it was unfortunate and difficult to detect, but the issue could have been minor, initally overlooked, and then festered.

You're almost insinuating that the intercooler exploded and dumped all it's fluid into the engine at one time. Could have manifested as a small hole or leak initally, was burned as exhaust unnoticed for quite awhile, and eventually the leak increased in size causing the engine to take a **** at that particular time.

I find it hard to believe the system "exploded" and really knowing the intercooler is encased in a baseplate/plenum style assembly, it couldn't have been hit by anything. Maybe his car was sabatoged somehow? You know how at the track people leave their hoods up? Is that even possible? Was the weather an issue? I dunno, how hot was it, and is an overflow incorporated into the system to prevent such damage?

I'll be running this setup soon so I'm paying particular attention to everything posted. I'm wondering what kind of coolant was used. The recommendations I've read call for distilled or de-ionized water with a 50/50 dex mix. Was that the case in this incident? What is the significance of using such water and can damage occur if you don't run it? Unfortunately, the second owner will now probably never know if this was performed correctly. It's kinda buyer beware, especially when buying used ****.

Why would someone post something like this and admit to being at fault anyway? It's just human nature to be in denial when something bad happens, especially something so costly no matter what it is, everyone does it.

So you're suggesting someone somehow tampered with his ic at the track as being more likely than the ic failing? I'm sure someone took the time to disassemble his blower, punch a hole in the ic, and reassemble while he ate a hot dog. Oh, and the OP was already set on replacing the motor out of his pocket so I'm sure had he been at fault he would admit it. Besides, as I've asked a few times now, WHAT could cause failure in the conditions he used it in?

Is it possible the leak started small and gradually got worse as you suggest? I suppose, but again WHY DID IT HAVE A LEAK?
Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
So you're suggesting someone somehow tampered with his ic at the track as being more likely than the ic failing? I'm sure someone took the time to disassemble his blower, punch a hole in the ic, and reassemble while he ate a hot dog. Oh, and the OP was already set on replacing the motor out of his pocket so I'm sure had he been at fault he would admit it. Besides, as I've asked a few times now, WHAT could cause failure in the conditions he used it in?

Is it possible the leak started small and gradually got worse as you suggest? I suppose, but again WHY DID IT HAVE A LEAK?

I'm saying it's a possiblility, not suggesting. Someone couldn't have dropped a foreign object into the reservoir?

Again, there you go being overboard and dramatic just like I just posted. Are you serious? Disassemble and then punch a hole in it, reassemble?

Can you believe this guy?

Why did it have a leak? Could have been any one of these things, I dunno, I wasn't there. I can't tell you how it leaked anymore than you can blame the manufacturer for it leaking.

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-15-2008 at 11:59 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:21 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

I'm saying it's a possiblility, not suggesting. Someone couldn't have dropped a foreign object into the reservoir?

Again, there you go being overboard and dramatic just like I just posted. Are you serious? Disassemble and then punch a hole in it, reassemble?

Can you believe this guy?

Why did it have a leak? Could have been any one of these things, I dunno, I wasn't there. I can't tell you how it leaked anymore than you can blame the manufacturer for it leaking.

You're not paying attention.

I am asking "IF" someone or something could have damaged it (as you and the magancharger guy suggest) WHAT could it have been? HOW could nitrous, meth, or any of the other possibilities you guys mention have hurt it? That is a serious legit question. Perhaps if one of you could shed some light I might understand how this might not be the manufacturers fault.
Old 12-16-2008, 11:28 AM
blownerator

Originally Posted by TS6

I am asking "IF" someone or something could have damaged it (as you and the magancharger guy suggest) WHAT could it have been? HOW could nitrous, meth, or any of the other possibilities you guys mention have hurt it? That is a serious legit question. Perhaps if one of you could shed some light I might understand how this might not be the manufacturers fault.
Nitrous and Meth are Oxidizers......Hello, corrode aluminum....

Give it a rest dude, the system is being fixed weather it was our fault or not.
Old 12-16-2008, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wouldnt make it through the lines and pump.

Maybe the heat from the IATs boiled the coolant and caused too much pressure in the intercooler. That seems quite plausible.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:31 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6

If you were to suddenly feed a hot magnacharger and intercooler a big cold shot of nitrous which was to quickly cool the intercooler, couldn't that do some damage to the soft aluminum? Suddenly creating a very cold environment around and in the vanes of the intercooler can't be good I would think. When metal is hot and rapidly cooled, it can be damaged.

I'm not sure, but other than it being an oxidizer, that seems to be a possibility to me.

Nitrous is to be used to give an aftercooling effect when combined with forced induction.

Would you shoot nitrous directly into your procharger?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:08 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

If you were to suddenly feed a hot magnacharger and intercooler a big cold shot of nitrous which was to quickly cool the intercooler, couldn't that do some damage to the soft aluminum? Suddenly creating a very cold environment around and in the vanes of the intercooler can't be good I would think. When metal is hot and rapidly cooled, it can be damaged.

I'm not sure, but other than it being an oxidizer, that seems to be a possibility to me.

Nitrous is to be used to give an aftercooling effect when combined with forced induction.

Would you shoot nitrous directly into your procharger?

I wouldn't spray nitrous into a procharger head unit because thats stupid. To gain the cooling effect you need to introduce it closer to the TB. I would try, and have seen, water/meth sprayed into the head unit with good results.
Old 12-16-2008, 06:10 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by BlownChevy
Nitrous and Meth are Oxidizers......Hello, corrode aluminum....

Give it a rest dude, the system is being fixed weather it was our fault or not.

Had I been made aware that the ic was aluminum I would have known. I don't have ESP, and I don't own a magnacharger. How come all the Ford guys can spray nitrous and meth on their intercoolers? Aren't they aluminum too?

I'm fairly certain the OP wasn't introducing anything but air into his blower, perhaps he can chime in?
Old 12-16-2008, 08:39 PM
TECH Regular

50/50 mix no meth no nitrous.

Guys I appreciate all of the comments but as far as I"m concerned this is a done deal for me. Bryan aka "BlownChevy" w/ magnusson has been very helpful and will be taking care of the blower under warranty. I am not asking for any concessions for the motor. I will be upgrading the motor to a forged iron block and like bryan said I as well as maggie have no idea what was done before I got the car.

I'm not putting any blame on any one! Just to clear up any misinformation I bought the car in May and It broke in august, In Ga the temp never gets below 70d during those months.

Again Thanks to blownchevy for all your help.

Doug
Old 12-17-2008, 12:11 AM
Launching!

I had one problem with mine, but it was taken care of very quickly by Magnuson without any cost on my part, somehow my blower was sent out missing a bolt that could only be installed at the manufacture plant before the pullies were put on because of how the jackshaft pulley covered the hole. When I first installed my maggie, I noticed that the resovour had dropped the coolant level a few times, I checked it frequently after that and noticed no level change, so I chocked it up to air bubbles in the system. I used a 50/50 mix with Purple Ice first and when the radiator let go, i changed to Water Wetter. I drove mine for about a year and a half, got it custom tuned by Vengeance when they came out to Hawaii and drove it for a while longer, never raced, but opened it up a few times to have some fun and never had any issues; then I had a BIG bottle of DUMBASS and traded the car for a Z06.

When the blower was installed it was done by the vendor, not in some backyard garage setup, I'm sure the previous owner and the installer did all of the right things, it may have just been one of those fluke things, that can't be explained or re-created. It may be possible that the heat created during racing softened up the aluminum and the pressure in the system created a crack and when the system was started again it went boom. Was it sitting in the pits with the pump running to keep the coolant moving between races?
Old 12-17-2008, 03:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 98catfish
50/50 mix no meth no nitrous.

Guys I appreciate all of the comments but as far as I"m concerned this is a done deal for me. Bryan aka "BlownChevy" w/ magnusson has been very helpful and will be taking care of the blower under warranty. I am not asking for any concessions for the motor. I will be upgrading the motor to a forged iron block and like bryan said I as well as maggie have no idea what was done before I got the car.

I'm not putting any blame on any one! Just to clear up any misinformation I bought the car in May and It broke in august, In Ga the temp never gets below 70d during those months.

Again Thanks to blownchevy for all your help.

Doug
Thanks for the update, but I don't think we're really discussing your experience anymore. I'm tracking that you got your intercooler warrantied, thanks again. Just talking about the system in general, you can continue to read, or not.

Why do you still have the link for this thread in your signature anyway?
Old 12-17-2008, 11:21 AM
TS6
10 Second Club

Why shouldn't he? People need to know about problems like this when making decisions on their build. If you were contemplating a large purchase like a blower you would want to know the pros and cons to each system, as enthusiasts we should help each other because every manufacturer here will tell you their parts are the best thing in the world.

Oh, and look: A third guy to have problems above. Guess the magnacharger guy forgot about that one too. Sad thing is that probably a very small fraction of maggie users are online or on these forums, so we'll never know if more people had problems.
Old 12-17-2008, 11:41 AM
Launching!

Reading through the thread, TS6 seems to have a vendetta for some reason. I agree, most of hist posts are WAY overly dramatic, what I would expect from a 16 year old girl.

Like BC said, the issue is being taken care of. Give it a rest.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TS6
Sad thing is that probably a very small fraction of maggie users are online or on these forums, so we'll never know if more people had problems.
Ever been to performancetrucks.net? I think all of the maggie owners are members there.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:15 PM
TS6
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by gdev_
Reading through the thread, TS6 seems to have a vendetta for some reason. I agree, most of hist posts are WAY overly dramatic, what I would expect from a 16 year old girl.

Like BC said, the issue is being taken care of. Give it a rest.

Who asked you?

News flash: You don't have to read this thread.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 PM
Launching!

The same people that asked you to get involved in the thread...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TS6
Why shouldn't he? People need to know about problems like this when making decisions on their build. If you were contemplating a large purchase like a blower you would want to know the pros and cons to each system, as enthusiasts we should help each other because every manufacturer here will tell you their parts are the best thing in the world.

Multiple people, including myself have already posted, even on the first page, that it's just part of the risk you take when you're into this hobby. Most of us are already aware.

Oh, and look: A third guy to have problems above. Guess the magnacharger guy forgot about that one too. Sad thing is that probably a very small fraction of maggie users are online or on these forums, so we'll never know if more people had problems.
What? People need to know that power adders can possibly blow your engine? If that's news to you, well then....

I WAS contemplating, and did make a large purchase, on the same blower no less, didn't faze me at all. Just seems like a crappy thing to do to a business, considering the problem was never even pinpointed, could have been operator error for all anyone knows, that still hasn't been ruled out other than just what people have posted.

Geez, let's hope for the sake of Procharger that you don't have a problem with your setup. You'll let everyone and their mother know. "Procharger you blew up my engine! Procharger blew my engine! You guys better give me some money!" Whah wah wah.

And that post didn't appear to be a problem, just a minor thing that happens with any install of this size, big deal? Should an air to water intercooler setup not be bled? Sounds normal to me. You mean a new FI setup will fire up the first time without a hitch?

Maybe you should visit some other forums with Maggie users, they're out there, nothing but good things to say about it on the GTO forums. Thousands of miles, lots of boost, and good power and no issues.

To sit there and say, oh the problem has been fixed and they're taking care of it, thanks for all the comments but they're really not necessary, I'm just gonna rebuild the engine. And then to leave the link up? You can see the hypocrisy in that can't you?

Last edited by joblo1978; 12-17-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:51 PM
TECH Regular

Thanks for the update, but I don't think we're really discussing your experience anymore. I'm tracking that you got your intercooler warrantied, thanks again. Just talking about the system in general, you can continue to read, or not.

Because its my post I started it! if you dont like it you GTFO!
Who The *** do you think you are to tell me I can read or not but dont post in MY THREAD?

What? People need to know that power adders can possibly blow your engine? If that's news to you, well then....

I WAS contemplating, and did make a large purchase, on the same blower no less, didn't faze me at all. Just seems like a crappy thing to do to a business, considering the problem was never even pinpointed, could have been operator error for all anyone knows, that still hasn't been ruled out other than just what people have posted.

Geez, let's hope for the sake of Procharger that you don't have a problem with your setup. You'll let everyone and their mother know. "Procharger you blew up my engine! Procharger blew my engine! You guys better give me some money!" Whah wah wah.

And that post didn't appear to be a problem, just a minor thing that happens with any install of this size, big deal? Should an air to water intercooler setup not be bled? Sounds normal to me. You mean a new FI setup will fire up the first time without a hitch?

Maybe you should visit some other forums with Maggie users, they're out there, nothing but good things to say about it on the GTO forums. Thousands of miles, lots of boost, and good power and no issues.

To sit there and say, oh the problem has been fixed and they're taking care of it, thanks for all the comments but they're really not necessary, I'm just gonna rebuild the engine. And then to leave the link up? You can see the hypocrisy in that can't you?

I think you are confused I started this thread not ts6 and I'm not a moderator so I cant just delete a thread whenever I want.
This thread was started to tell a story about the worst night I've had at the track then it morphed into a maggie slam fest, Which was not my intention.

To all who dont understand I like my maggie I will be keeping the 112 as I believe it was a total freak thing that happened. I have no ill will towards magnusson and the fact they are repairing everything at their cost says a lot to me.

Most companies, If you race it you own it, No warranty. Maggie has stepped up and said even though I didn't purchase it they will still take care of the damage for me.

Doug

Quick Reply: Extremely Bad Night